PDA

View Full Version : Once the Noise Level Dies Down. . .

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I hope those of you who are yelling, screaming, ranting, raving and shouting obscenities will take a thorough look at Nix and Gailey. They both have very good track records, and at least deserve a chance.

They are veteran football guys who should be able to put this franchise back on an even keel.

I know that I am looking forward, rather than backward, and eagerly awaiting free agency and the draft, to see how they fill our holes and move us ahead.

SABURZFAN
01-20-2010, 08:10 AM
i hope they go to another board.

The Compromise
01-20-2010, 08:11 AM
I hope those of you who are yelling, screaming, ranting, raving and shouting obscenities will take a thorough look at Nix and Gailey. They both have very good track records, and at least deserve a chance.

They are veteran football guys who should be able to put this franchise back on an even keel.

I know that I am looking forward, rather than backward, and eagerly awaiting free agency and the draft, to see how they fill our holes and move us ahead.

Broken record

elltrain22
01-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Great post, completely agree.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-20-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm actually warming up to Nix. I liked how he handled himself at the presser and told it like it is. He seems to have a no nonsense attitude. Now I hope he is the same way with the players and coaches.

You have to admit the Raiders comment was pretty funny and ballsy?

Dujek
01-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Agreed. The very first thing I thought when I saw the Gailey hire was "****ing hell", but I thought about it a bit more, and I'm willing to take his record at face value and give him every chance to prove himself.

I already think that Nix was a decent hire as GM, and while he's not going to be in the position long term he will be there long enough to help right the ship.

I don't understand the hate for Nix and Gailey from certain posters, and why they're so certain that two guys who have been reasonably successful their entire careers are now doomed to failure in Buffalo.

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Broken record
Someone has to compete with the broken record of those Bills' "fans" who spam this board with their "I hate the Bills, I hate Ralph, I hate Nix, I hate Gailey, I hate the players, I hate the FO, everything they do is wrong, nothing will ever work," crap.

And they shout their irrational hatred so loud, that reason hardly ever has a chance.

madness
01-20-2010, 08:29 AM
My favorite part is they both look to be straight shooters. So far they've given us no reason to believe that they'll say one thing and do another or give generic answers that never really answer anything like our old friend Dick. It's a nice change of pace.

madness
01-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Someone has to compete with the broken record of those Bills' "fans" who spam this board with their "I hate the Bills, I hate Ralph, I hate Nix, I hate Gailey, I hate the players, I hate the FO, everything they do is wrong, nothing will ever work," crap.

And they shout their irrational hatred so loud, that reason hardly ever has a chance.

You mean we actually come to this board to have intelligent discussions about our football team? Who'd a thunk it?

hydro
01-20-2010, 08:34 AM
I understand the point and agree to a point. But don't you just feel like a idiot sometimes thinking this team will turn it around season after season when we have gone down this same road for 10 years?

Michael82
01-20-2010, 08:38 AM
My anger has also subsided. The more I read about Gailey, the more I like him. He's the offensive mind we needed, he also has some fire in his belly and believes in practicing with pads. I don't see him having his players practice in the fieldhouse all the time. They will definitely be outside. I for one, can't wait until Training Camp, so I can see how much better his practices are, compared to the snooze practices under Dick Jauron. That will be my first step to see what we got. Now I just hope that he can bring in some good assistants and begin the turnaround on this team.

Luisito23
01-20-2010, 08:42 AM
everything they do is wrong

Everything the Bills do is wrong though, so how can you blame people for expressing the way they feel. I mean I can understand it if we were the Patriots, or the Steelers and we hired a cheap retread, because these franchises actually know what they're doing, and their fans should in now way criticize, or doubt them, but when you've been fed the same garbage for over a decade how can you possible be mad at anyone that asks for a different menu?

don137
01-20-2010, 08:45 AM
While they could of done worse they also could of done better. I do not mind Nix as much because he seems to know talent but not a fan of Gailey. I think Gailey is just average. Maybe a small step up from Jauron. I just do not think is enough to go to the next level and field a team that could win the division. While other teams get top coaches, spend for top players the Bills are inferior on both fronts.

THRILLHO
01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
You are correct, Gailey does deserve a chance. Its the FO that everyone is upset with. So while everyone is yelling at Gailey, they are really mad at the Bills Brass. I am sure that most people are willing to give the coach a chance.

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 09:15 AM
You are correct, Gailey does deserve a chance. Its the FO that everyone is upset with. So while everyone is yelling at Gailey, they are really mad at the Bills Brass. I am sure that most people are willing to give the coach a chance.
That's the kind of noise I'm talking about. People are so upset, they misdirect their anger, and also just assume that because the last three coaches have failed, every new coach forever and ever will fail - unless it's their chosen favorite.

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 09:19 AM
I understand the point and agree to a point. But don't you just feel like a idiot sometimes thinking this team will turn it around season after season when we have gone down this same road for 10 years?
Part of being a fan is feeling like an idiot. You and I have the Bills, Sabres, Indians and 'Cuse in common. We should be old hands at it.

Historian
01-20-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm actually warming up to Nix. I liked how he handled himself at the presser and told it like it is. He seems to have a no nonsense attitude.

Gee...just like Gregg Williams.

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Gailey is not Gregg Williams or anyone else. He may succeed and he may fail, but he is not any past coach.

Why do people who don't know Gailey at all assume he is Jauron, or Williams or Mularkey, or whomever? Do some research on his career and try to see his accomplishments and failures, and judge him in his own light.

Historian
01-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Do some research on the last 10 years Jan, and tell me you still cut these guys any slack.

Since the Tennessee playoff game, very decision out of 1BD has been wrong.

They are the model of how NOT to run a sports franchise.

And you're shouting at the rain, because as always, we have to suck it up and settle for this guy, there is no alternative if you're a Bills fan.

It's just comical to watch the same people, (yourself included) rationalize away every decision that is made by these fools, when time after time, they're wrong.

Luisito23
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
It's just comical to watch the same people, (yourself included) rationalize away every decision that is made by these fools, when time after time, they're wrong.

:bf1:

Mad Bomber
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM

:bf1:

I completely agree. People are going nonlinear before the guy has set up his staff and evaluated the hand he's been dealt in terms of players.

My initial reaction to the hiring was not positive. I am still skeptical about our chances to improve under him, but I'm willing to wait and see before I start ranting and raving.

Luisito23
01-20-2010, 09:55 AM
But Williams is not Phillips...But Mularkey is not Williams...But Jauron is not Mularkey...But Gailey is not Jauron...Get the picture? :sigh:

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Do some research on the last 10 years Jan, and tell me you still cut these guys any slack.

And you're shouting at the rain, because as always, we have to suck it up and settle for this guy, there is no alternative if you're a Bills fan.

I have to admit it. I'm a loyal fan who always gives new hires a chance.

I realize you think I'm an idiot for believing the Bills' could ever succeed again, even though I've seen it before. But I can't cut my heart out so I'll remain a stupid fan, even though you find it so comical.

mayotm
01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I have to admit it. I'm a loyal fan who always gives new hires a chance.

I realize you think I'm an idiot for believing the Bills' could ever succeed again, even though I've seen it before. But I can't cut my heart out so I'll remain a stupid fan, even though you find it so comical.Keep the hope alive Jan. You aren't alone.

psubills62
01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I agree with you, Jan. At this point, considering how many people turned the Bills down, this was a decent hire, imo.

The problem is the FO. No matter who they hired, some people were going to be upset. And yes, you can say "Cowher" all you want, but I saw some people arguing against Cowher when he seemed to be in the running.

Does the FO deserve the benefit of the doubt? Not at this point, no they don't. Especially when they continue to promote themselves despite doing a crappy job.

However, that being said, I think Nix and Gailey are a decent pair to try and turn this franchise around. Nobody really expects much out of them.

Also, one last thing: why do people consider Nix a "hire from inside?" Yes, it's true that he was on our staff last year. But that's only one year...compared to Guy, Modrak, Brandon, etc., he's quite new. That's also one year where our draft seems to be widely hailed as being a good one...better than most of our other past drafts.

Saratoga Slim
01-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Broken record

No more a broken record than the people yelling over and over that we need to take to the streets, stop buying tickets, etc. to persuade Ralph that things need to change.

Let's face it: Ralphie is so old, he can barely get through a press conference. He's just simply not going to change the way he does business now, at the age of 91 (or whatever he is). So, until he passes on the Bills to new ownership, we're indeed stuck with the status quo of questionable managment and second-tier coaching hires.

The choice for Bills fans is therefore whether you want to a) find reasons to be optimistic so that you can still reap some entertainment value from the Bills, or b) give yourself a heart attack looking for sweeping change that isn't coming. Otherwise, might as well pick another team.

Me, I'm going to look at Nix as an incremental change that offers some possible hope regarding personnel moves, drafting, and general managment. I think there is actually legitimate reason for optimisim in that regard. Moreover, while I don't think Gailey is any more of a world-beater than any of the coaches we've had since Marv, I'm hopeful that he'll benefit from a better roster and that there's thus a chance for sustained improvement.

DynaPaul
01-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I still think Gailey is a horrible hire. The only way to win me over is with results on the field given the string of coaches we've had around here lately. No, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid like some of you but that doesn't make me a lesser fan. All the other guys we hired had credentials too.

Mudflap1
01-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Fabulous post. The BILLS do not deserve any slack at this point, they don't deserve the fans' unadulterated trust. But you know what? We'll all still watch anyway. The Bills are like a family member at this point that you are kind of ashamed of, but at the end of the day, blood is thicker than water.

If Nix/Gailey look like bottom feeder-type moves to most of the fans, look like bottom feeder-type moves to the rest of the NFL and the professionals that cover the NFL, and the moves are in line with the bottom feeder ways of the Bills over the last fifty years (but more specifically the last ten years), then I think it's safe to come to the reasonable conclusion as a fan that the Bills have gone the bottom feeder route yet again.

Historian
01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I realize you think I'm an idiot for believing the Bills' could ever succeed again, even though I've seen it before.

I don't think you're an idiot at all, Jan. You and the Mrs are friends.

You're an idealist.

That's fine, as long as you understand the people you're dealing with.

I've met Ralph several times. I used to be an insider in this organization, and I can tell you, it's like a skull and bones society. They think they can do no wrong. Their attitude is "We're the professionals in this town, you don't know jack."

You should have seen the way they all fawned over the hiring of Donahoe. It was sickening.

Sorry, there are some knowledgeable football people in this town...coaches, referees, etc. It's not neurosurgery.

This gang's credibility has run out with me.

I hope they win, I really do.

But I'm expecting the opposite.

Saratoga Slim
01-20-2010, 01:43 PM
This gang's credibility has run out with me.

I hope they win, I really do.

But I'm expecting the opposite.

Yeah, that's about the sum of things. I likewise am not expecting a miraculous turnaround. Just rooting for it.