PDA

View Full Version : MY OFFSEASON PLAN

kernowboy
01-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Just thought I might as well get in on the act.

Whilst the Nix/Gailey hiring seems unexciting, I prefer to hold comment until I see how they do in Free Agency and in the draft -of which I think two will be required before a true assessment can be made on the legacy of this pairing.

When considering Free Agency, I prefer to consider mid-rank signings because of the historic difficulty in attracting free agents, whilst those looking for a starting gig might be more open to offers. It is clear that if we move to a 3-4 defence we will need both NT and DEs because those currently on the roster might never fully adapt.

So starting with the draft

R1. BRUCE CAMPBELL, LT, MARYLAND. (6ft7, 310lbs, 4.94)
Our most critical need on offense, surpassing QB. If we cannot keep a QB, any QB upright, this team will never have an effective offence

R2. ARTHUR JONES, NT/DE, SYRACUSE (6ft4, 294lbs, 5.06lbs)
A guy who could play either position, coming from a wrestling background he might have the necessary strength and if he can add 10-15lbs he will be at a similar weight to Jay Ratliff NT of the Cowboys

R3. SEAN LEE, ILB, PENN STATE (6ft2, 236lbs, 4.75)
Mitchell never succeeded when he played ILB with the Chiefs and I think we need to get a better player alongside Posluzny

R4. NAAMAN ROOSEVELT, WR, BUFFALO (6ft0, 191lbs, 4.49)
the best college WR the national press have not reported on. There are some good players locally and its about time we sent our scouts down the road

R5. COREY PETERS, DE, KENTUCKY (6ft3, 295lbs, 4.97)
Had a strong senior season, but is a middle ranked prospect who could go as high as the 3rd but as low as the 6th

R6. JAMES STARKS, RB, BUFFALO (6ft2, 211lbs, 4.55)
With a final season missed with a shoulder injury, he'll have fallen down the rankings but would be a great complement to Fred-x

R6. JARVIS GEATHERS, OLB, CENTRAL FLORIDA (6ft2, 238lbs, 4.59)
11 sacks in his senior season so who cares if he's a little undersized

R7. GREG MIDDLETON, DE, INDIANA (6ft3, 285lbs, 4.92)
Had a great sophmore season but production has declined since then. However he has transitioned in size to be a 3-4 DE and I think he'd be great value here

R7. CORY JACKSON, FB, MARYLAND (6ft1, 245lbs, 4.73)
If we are serious about running the ball we need someone to plow the road. Good hands, and a hardass blocker

Moving on to free agency, I think we won't be look a high price veterans, but second tier guys looking for starting gigs who have upside. So some potential names include

GABE WATSON, NT, ARIZONA CARDINALS (6ft4, 329lbs)
ANTHONY MONTGOMERY, DE, WASHINGTON REDSKINS (6ft6, 315lbs)
D'QWELL JACKSON, ILB, CLEVELAND BROWNS (6ft0, 240lbs)
DAVID CARR QB, NEW YORK GIANTS (6ft3, 220lbs)
MALCOLM FLOYD, WR, SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (6ft5, 226lbs)

with an exception in:
SHAWN MERRIMAN, OLB, SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (6ft4, 265lbs)

who the Chargers will struggle to resign with both Jackson and McNeill as Free Agents. With his injury and drug history the competition might be lighter than expected.

For those to stay and or go, I see the following:

The QBs will remain the same with one falling by the wayside.
Reed and Owen probably will not be resigned but with Floyd, and Roosevelt plus Evans, Hardy and Steve Johnson we would have depth.
TE depth remains the same.
At RB I see Lynch being traded but it is possible we will look for a pick in 2011 as any partner might be prepared to offer more.
OL I see remaining broadly the same

On the DL I see it being more radical for obvious reasons. If we switch to 3-4 we will look to offload 4-3 players like Ellison and Kelsay. Kyle Williams might be traded for a middle round pick. With Stroud on the way down, he might simply be cut. With 3 draft picks and two free agency signings, a choice might be made between retaining Ryan Denney or Spencer Johnson, as both can be a 3-4 DE. Schobel may well simply retire.

At LB, Mitchell and Ellison go, but Palmer is retained.

In the secondary, there is no change with the CBs but I wonder if a trade of Whitner might be investigated especially as we have depth at S, and Whitner will be in the final year of his contract.

So in essense a core roster of

QB Carr (plus 2 from Brohm, Edwards or Fitzpatrick)
RB F.Jackson (backed up by Lynch and UFA)
FB C.Jackson

WR Evans & Floyd (supported by Hardy, Johnson and Roosevelt)

OL Campbell - Levitre - Hangartner (Wood) - Incognito - Butler, depth coming from Bell, Meredith and whoever loses the C battle

on the 3-4 defence I see it as

DE Montgomery
NT Watson
DE Sp Johnson
(backed up by a rookie trio of Middleton-Jones-Peters)

a LB Corps of Merriman-Jackson-Pozlusny-Maybin with initial depth from Lee, Palmer and Geathers

a Secondary of McGee, Byrd, Wilson and Florence, with depth from Corner, McKelvin, Lankster, Harris, Wendling and Scott.

elltrain22
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Looks great. Love the Campbell pick, I mean love the pick!!! Sean Lee & Jones are nice picks too. I also like your FA's. I would love Merriman, but don't know if that'll happen. I also love D.Jackson from Cleveland.

Overall, I'd be pretty happy w/ that offseason

trapezeus
01-21-2010, 08:55 AM
i like what i see in your plan.. however, i heard that campbell is the biggest project of the LT's available in the first round.

DraftBoy
01-21-2010, 10:35 AM
So starting with the draft

R1. BRUCE CAMPBELL, LT, MARYLAND. (6ft7, 310lbs, 4.94)
Our most critical need on offense, surpassing QB. If we cannot keep a QB, any QB upright, this team will never have an effective offence

R2. ARTHUR JONES, NT/DE, SYRACUSE (6ft4, 294lbs, 5.06lbs)
A guy who could play either position, coming from a wrestling background he might have the necessary strength and if he can add 10-15lbs he will be at a similar weight to Jay Ratliff NT of the Cowboys

R3. SEAN LEE, ILB, PENN STATE (6ft2, 236lbs, 4.75)
Mitchell never succeeded when he played ILB with the Chiefs and I think we need to get a better player alongside Posluzny

R4. NAAMAN ROOSEVELT, WR, BUFFALO (6ft0, 191lbs, 4.49)
the best college WR the national press have not reported on. There are some good players locally and its about time we sent our scouts down the road

R5. COREY PETERS, DE, KENTUCKY (6ft3, 295lbs, 4.97)
Had a strong senior season, but is a middle ranked prospect who could go as high as the 3rd but as low as the 6th

R6. JAMES STARKS, RB, BUFFALO (6ft2, 211lbs, 4.55)
With a final season missed with a shoulder injury, he'll have fallen down the rankings but would be a great complement to Fred-x

R6. JARVIS GEATHERS, OLB, CENTRAL FLORIDA (6ft2, 238lbs, 4.59)
11 sacks in his senior season so who cares if he's a little undersized

R7. GREG MIDDLETON, DE, INDIANA (6ft3, 285lbs, 4.92)
Had a great sophmore season but production has declined since then. However he has transitioned in size to be a 3-4 DE and I think he'd be great value here

R7. CORY JACKSON, FB, MARYLAND (6ft1, 245lbs, 4.73)
If we are serious about running the ball we need someone to plow the road. Good hands, and a hardass blocker

I knew you take Campbell and you know where we disagree about the differences between he and Bulaga so its pointless to do that again.

Arthur Jones can't play the NT in a 3-4, and Im not sure he could even be a DE. His game is based more on his ability to shoot the gaps and penetrate, not hold up at the POA and collapse the pocket.

Lee makes a lot of sense that a good value pick there.

Roosevelt may be a little high at Round 4, and it really all depends on if its a WR draft early or not. Lots of Juniors declared and the Senior class at the top is shaky. There could be a run early, or there could be none take till later.

Peters is an ideal 3-4 DE pick, very good selection there.

Starks is of good value in Round 6 my only issue is that he's a Jackson clone, Id almost prefer we find a way to grab a speed back instead.

Geather doesnt make any sense in the 3-4 OLB mold, we already have Maybin in one spot, and Geather is undersized. His 11 sacks were nice but they were against far inferior competition.

Middelton is another good 3-4 DE pick but how many do we need? And I dont think Middleton lasts till this late either.

Jackson should go higher as he is the top rated FB in the class.

kernowboy
01-21-2010, 10:40 AM
i like what i see in your plan.. however, i heard that campbell is the biggest project of the LT's available in the first round.

I would say Anthony Davis and Trent Williams are far bigger projects than Campbell

DraftBoy
01-21-2010, 10:47 AM
I would say Anthony Davis and Trent Williams are far bigger projects than Campbell

I would disagree, Campbell is the biggest OT project who is currentyl slated to be a 1st round pick.

Trent Williams is more lazy than a project and Davis project to me at least as more of a RT, and he seems capable to do that now.

Mahdi
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Anthony Davis and Bruce Campbell are very high ceiling players that can be seen as projects although I think Campbell is worth more because he is a prototype LT. Trent Williams is very experienced and has very good technique I would not call him a project. He underachieved this year at OK but he can end up the best OT to come out of this draft.

RockStar36
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
My biggest issue with that is David Carr.

I have no idea why people are fascinated with this guy and think he is worth bringing in. Why don't they just bring back Losman if that is what we're looking for?

elltrain22
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
My biggest issue with that is David Carr.

I have no idea why people are fascinated with this guy and think he is worth bringing in. Why don't they just bring back Losman if that is what we're looking for?

I'd be on board w/ David Carr.

RockStar36
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I'd be on board w/ David Carr.

Have you never seen the guy play? How in the world would that be a good decision?

ZAZusmc03
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Arthur Jones, my wrestling team had a match with them almost every year. He and his brother were freakin animals lol.

trapezeus
01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
i'd pass on carr as well. we already have a robust roster of mediocre QBs who get sacked frequently.

i'd like the current crop to stay in there and take a beating and let the line develop. i think the bills need a QB in the following draft.

ZAZusmc03
01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
i'd pass on carr as well. we already have a robust roster of mediocre QBs who get sacked frequently.

i'd like the current crop to stay in there and take a beating and let the line develop. i think the bills need a QB in the following draft.

Agreed. Not too fond of this years QB class. Think it would be better served for the team to wait until next years draft.

trapezeus
01-21-2010, 03:15 PM
i just said this in a different post, but if the bills can suck next year, but put together a capable run blocking OL that moves the pile, getting a rook in the first round early could be the key to turning the offense around.

If a rookie comes in with a line that knows what it's doing, he has a better chance to succeed than coming in with the shambles we got.