PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody heard any solid rumors

ChanGailey
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I, like most, was ready to explode when I first heard the news. I'm not quite jumping on board with this, but I did like the press conference, and at least he and Nix know the only thing that actually matters, is winning. Whether they get the support they need from Ralph will remain to be seen, but these guys don't have any fingerprints on the last 10 years of misery for us, so I'm not going to hold it against them. Nix and Gailey that is.

I feel confident that we'll improve our drafting under Nix, and I'm happy to know that Gailey will commit to the run. If Lynch can stop acting like a degenerate, this could really be what galvanizes his career.

That said, moving on, I really am, as far as my support and optimism goes, I am hanging on this defensive coordinator decision. It's the most important choice that Gailey will probably ever make ever again for the rest of his life, frankly. If he flames out in Buffalo, his head coaching career would certainly be over with.

Does anybody have any inside info as to who may be connected to Gailey and is available to be signed? He went out of his way to seem open to the 3-4, which really got me going. I feel, the only reasons we have to stay 4-3 are over 30 years old. (Stroud, Kelsay, Schobel)...

Otherwise, all of our young guys, I feel would benefit from a switch to 3-4. I know, we need that NT, but if we can get him either Cody in the draft or Picket in free agency, I feel Stroud and Kyle would be solid, or even above average, DE in a 3-4 scheme. Obviously Maybin is our biggest investment on that side of the ball, so I would think that would inspire the guys in charge to build around him.

What are your guys thoughts? Lets try to have a real conversation. I don't want a roast, or a rant. I want to talk D coordinators, and where we may be headed.

And also, does anybody feel Bob Sanders should stick around, and would it be a shock to see him promoted to DC? And, would he employ a 34 or a 43? I'm asking cuz I have no clue.

Thanks, looking forward to your replies.

psubills62
01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Otherwise, all of our young guys, I feel would benefit from a switch to 3-4. I know, we need that NT, but if we can get him either Cody in the draft or Picket in free agency, I feel Stroud and Kyle would be solid, or even above average, DE in a 3-4 scheme. Obviously Maybin is our biggest investment on that side of the ball, so I would think that would inspire the guys in charge to build around him.

And also, does anybody feel Bob Sanders should stick around, and would it be a shock to see him promoted to DC? And, would he employ a 34 or a 43? I'm asking cuz I have no clue.

Thanks, looking forward to your replies.

I'm no insider and I don't know what DC's Gailey would look at.

However, I do believe that we'll stick with the 4-3. We might be able to shuffle the DL around, add an NT and be OK, but we just don't have the linebackers at this point. Maybin and Chris Ellis are both very unproven. Schobel will probably retire if we switch to a 3-4. Rush OLB's are important, but we would also need ILB's. Poz and Mitchell are really the only ones that fit there from our current personnel. And I'm not a fan of Mitchell. We'd basically need to spend an entire draft on LB's, imo, in order to switch.

I'd love to get Bob Sanders back. He got quite a bit out of a very untalented group (Schobel being the exception).

ChanGailey
01-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm no insider and I don't know what DC's Gailey would look at.

However, I do believe that we'll stick with the 4-3. We might be able to shuffle the DL around, add an NT and be OK, but we just don't have the linebackers at this point. Maybin and Chris Ellis are both very unproven. Schobel will probably retire if we switch to a 3-4. Rush OLB's are important, but we would also need ILB's. Poz and Mitchell are really the only ones that fit there from our current personnel. And I'm not a fan of Mitchell. We'd basically need to spend an entire draft on LB's, imo, in order to switch.

I'd love to get Bob Sanders back. He got quite a bit out of a very untalented group (Schobel being the exception).

I dissagree with your linebacker statement. Poz would be fine as ILB in a 3-4, and although I'm not really a Mitchell fan at all, I feel he'd be at least solid as an ILB in a 3-4. At least for one year. I mean, if we decide to replace Mitchell, we'd need 2 new LB's either way. If we go 3-4, Poz Mitchel and Maybin would be pretty much set, and we could either sign a vet OLB to fill the spot for a season, or we could train a guy.

Watching what Dumervil did this year, made me feel that someone like Nic Harris could at least be interesting to try out at OLB.

ChanGailey
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I just feel if we stick at 4-3, Maybin will just be useless. He's the youngest/highest paid guy on our front 7, perhaps our entire defense. I don't see how switching to a 3-4 could hurt our secondary at all, as it tends to generate more pressure on the QB.

Dicknoze69
01-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Sanders is the only coach I would even be remotely interested in retaining at this point.

I don't think anyone knows which direction Gailey will go in as far as defense is concerned. He said in a perfect world, we'd run a 3-4 but I believe that is 100% dependant on finding the right personnel (finding the right Nose Tackle basically). I think if we find a NT, we switch to the 3-4.

A possible DC that I've seen mentioned is Jon Tenuta (former DC at GT and Notre Dame under Weis).

psubills62
01-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I dissagree with your linebacker statement. Poz would be fine as ILB in a 3-4, and although I'm not really a Mitchell fan at all, I feel he'd be at least solid as an ILB in a 3-4. At least for one year. I mean, if we decide to replace Mitchell, we'd need 2 new LB's either way. If we go 3-4, Poz Mitchel and Maybin would be pretty much set, and we could either sign a vet OLB to fill the spot for a season, or we could train a guy.

Watching what Dumervil did this year, made me feel that someone like Nic Harris could at least be interesting to try out at OLB.

That's my point, we have Poz and Mitchell and....? No LB's behind them are even close to being fits for 3-4 ILB's. Most of the LB's we have are too light for a 4-3, much less a 3-4. We currently have two young, unproven pass rushers (Maybin and Ellis) who may or may not succeed at OLB. We also have two decent ILB's. But we'd have zero depth behind them.

I don't believe Harris would be an option at OLB. Dumervil was an exceptional pass rusher in the 4-3. Harris is a former safety who is a project to convert to a light LB, much less a rush LB.

We also can't really fill our roster with FA signees, as the FA pool will be much smaller (due to the CBA).

I just think we're more than one offseason away from switching to the 3-4.

Luisito23
01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Has anybody heard any solid rumors

You're the coach , you tell us.

psubills62
01-20-2010, 10:27 AM
You're the coach , you tell us.

Maybe he's looking for suggestions from the Billszone?

T-Long
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Sanders is the only coach I would even be remotely interested in retaining at this point.
How could you not want George Catavoulus back? I guess you forgot about all the interceptions our corners and safeties made this season. Kick him to the curb, he sucks!

ChanGailey
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Haha I'm probably going to get pigeon holed into Gailey impersonations since I got this name...I just came here from bb.com because that board is just too fargone, and I couldn't think of a cool name...I must be the first person to sign up after Gailey got hired, I figured the name would be taken!

psubills62
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Haha I'm probably going to get pigeon holed into Gailey impersonations since I got this name...I just came here from bb.com because that board is just too fargone, and I couldn't think of a cool name...I must be the first person to sign up after Gailey got hired, I figured the name would be taken!

Well, welcome to the board Chan Gailey :up:

I came over from bb.com...a year ago or so? I only visit the NCAA forum there now. Things are a lot more mature and personal here. I like it a lot better.

At this point, there are so many people whining about the hire that I doubt anyone wanted to sign up as Chan Gailey, haha.

Buddo
01-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Sanders and Catavalous are both guys I would like to be see kept. I don't know what Sanders is 'doing', but I did see some things that suggested that Fewell wanted to take Catavalous with him, wherever he went, and tbh, I wouldn't blame him.
Sanders is an excellent 4-3 line coach, but how familiar is he with the 3-4, and the associated techniques there? I'd assume he would be good there also, but it might be we need a change anyway.

Dicknoze69
01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
How could you not want George Catavoulus back? I guess you forgot about all the interceptions our corners and safeties made this season. Kick him to the curb, he sucks!

Yep, you're right. Brain fart on my part. I thought someone had already snapped him up.

billistic
01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
"solid rumors"?

Lincoln may have been assassinated.

Night Train
01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
If I hear of any DC candidate showing up at OBD who likes the Tampa 2 D, I will drive there and beat them to tears.

tampabay25690
01-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Don't believe in anything that comes out anymore.....

I will believe when it comes out in a press conference

DrGraves
01-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Are you actually Chan Gailey looking for some advice? It wouldn't surprise me...

better days
01-20-2010, 07:25 PM
If I hear of any DC candidate showing up at OBD who likes the Tampa 2 D, I will drive there and beat them to tears.

I will pitch in $10 for gas.

Nighthawk
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I think you'll see the Bills switch to a 3-4 and Maybin will play OLB and if Ellis is here, you'll see him tried there also. I just don't see this team staying with the 4-3, but hey, I didn't see Chan Gailey as the next HC either!

zone
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
If I have learned anything over these last few weeks, people who say they have inside info are full of ****. No one on this message board or in the media know what Buddy or Chan are up to until they announce it in a press conference.