PDA

View Full Version : SI reporter on SportsCenter just said...

lordofgun
01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
...the Bills will go into next season with Trent Edwards as their starting QB, and will not make a move for a big QB trade or FA pickup.

Apparently, the folks in the Bills organization think Chan can turn Edwards around.

Nighthawk
01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
God no!!!!

malo
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Has to be bs. Chan sais it'll take time to evaluate. They'd know before the draft, not the next day.

Billz_fan
LMAO :laughter:

T-Long
I have no problem with this. I think with an offensive minded coach, he can turn Trent into a franchise QB. He just needs to stop worrying about his completion percentage and throw the thing down the field.

OpIv37
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Meh. 2010 is hosed.

No qb has a chance behind this awful ol. Spend this off-season fixing the ol and worry about qb next year.

Mahdi
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
I dont see how anyone can look at Trent's body of work and make that claim. It's BS for sure.

Trent's arm is below average, staying healthy is an issue and he has not shown he can be a good leader. Has ZERO fire in him.

OpIv37
01-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I have no problem with this. I think with an offensive minded coach, he can turn Trent into a franchise QB. He just needs to stop worrying about his completion percentage and throw the thing down the field.
Trent is done. He is nota viable NFL starter. That being said, there is no point in replacing him until we have an offensive line.

Jeff1220
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Meh. 2010 is hosed.

No qb has a chance behind this awful ol. Spend this off-season fixing the ol and worry about qb next year.

If healthy, I think the OL is a legit LT (and some depth) away from being pretty good. But I still think anotheoption is necessary at QB.

bigbub2352
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
so lame
news just keeps on getting better and better

Pinkerton Security
01-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I dont see how anyone can look at Trent's body of work and make that claim. It's BS for sure.

Trent's arm is below average, staying healthy is an issue and he has not shown he can be a good leader. Has ZERO fire in him.

Not only that but his teammates dont even seen to like him! Almost all of them wanted Fitz starting, and when your players are clamoring for a guy like Fitz to start, you know Trent is 1) bad and 2) not a leader in the slightest.

Ron Burgundy
01-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Op is correct.

Whoever is playing quarterback is moot until we get the offensive line shored up.

Mahdi
01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Not only that but his teammates dont even seen to like him! Almost all of them wanted Fitz starting, and when your players are clamoring for a guy like Fitz to start, you know Trent is 1) bad and 2) not a leader in the slightest.
Even the fans can tell that he is not a leader. I never once saw him gathering the offense on the sideline, chewing out an OLmen, showing any kind of intensity at all.... the guy is a dud. He does not have enough passion for football IMO.

RockStar36
01-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Um, yeah, that isn't happening.

You did see Trent play this past season, right?

Michael82
01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
You gotta be kidding me! Trent? Again? :puke:

I'd rather see a rookie come here and compete with Brian Brohm in mini-camps and Training camp.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-20-2010, 12:52 PM
So Chan was hired out of the blue and no one knew about it. But now after one day they're able to report that Edwards will be the starter? I'm not buying this. It's pure speculation.

Mahdi
01-20-2010, 12:52 PM

I'd rather see a rookie come here and compete with Brian Brohm in mini-camps and Training camp.
Honestly, just the idea of Trent being in TC and the possibility that he could be the best among a group of garbage is worrying to me.

Michael82
01-20-2010, 12:53 PM
So Chan was hired out of the blue and no one knew about it. But now after one day they're able to report that Edwards will be the starter? I'm not buying this. It's pure speculation.

Agreed. At least I hope you are right. :pray:

T-Long
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Um, yeah, that isn't happening.

You did see Trent play this past season, right?

If our OFFENSIVELY MINDED coach looks at all of our options and believes Trent is the one who gives us the best chance to win, then I'll trust his judgement and wait to criticize.

Yes, I saw Trent play and believe the same things most of you do...but when a fresh mind comes in and decides he is the best out of what is available, then I'm on board..for a few games.

Ron Burgundy
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
You almost have to start the guy. He's the best QB on the roster. Fitz is at best equally repugnant and the people who have faith in the practice squadder from Green Bay crack me up to no end.

I know, that's the "tallest dwarf" argument, but still.

Ed
01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't think this is that surprising. Despite the failures and dissapointment of last season, Trent is still the best qb on our team right now and there really aren't any better options in free agency. Personally, I would rather see us give Brohm a chance, but there was good reason a lot of people liked Trent so much before last season. Considering what a mess our offense was from coaching, to the O-line, to a weak running game, maybe it's worth it to give Trent one more shot with better coaching and hopefully better players.

I mean no one is expecting things to get completely turned around in 2010, and between free agency and the draft, there doesn't seem to be many good qb options.

SABURZFAN
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
...the Bills will go into next season with Trent Edwards as their starting QB, and will not make a move for a big QB trade or FA pickup.

Apparently, the folks in the Bills organization think Chan can turn Edwards around.

the Lickers let out a groan all at once.

Oldbillsfan
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
They need a contingency plan at Qb.

SABURZFAN
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM

see what i mean??

THATHURMANATOR
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
How would ESPN have any Idea about this already.

THATHURMANATOR
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
This will make my Trent Jersey Useful again.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Hearing Chan's statement reguarding this kind of contradicts this.

ddaryl
01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
what's that sound... the sound of another 10K in seaosn tickets being cancelled

I'm all for getting trent a chance to redeem himself, but we better be bringing in a real FA QB that can actually have a better then average chance of beating out Trent in a open competition

otherwise this is exactly the type of reason why I'm not supporting this rediculous franchise.

Beebe's Kid
01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Insert manual buzzer here...They have been so right about the Bills up to this point, why wouldn't we believe that the coach hired yesterday has already made a definitive choice about next seasons starting QB? Don't they have anything else to talk about?

Beebe's Kid
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
This will make my Trent Jersey Useful again.

That is hilarious.... mine too, as long as I can wash the gasoline smell out!!

mrbojanglezs
01-20-2010, 01:22 PM
s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n

and espn usually gets it wrong

Michael82
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
see what i mean??

:rofl: Even you were bashing Edwards during the season.

TheBrownBear
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Sweet! I just got myself an Edwards jersey for $9.99 on WashedUpQBs.com.

Saratoga Slim
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Has to be bs. Chan sais it'll take time to evaluate. They'd know before the draft, not the next day.

I agree. Chan didn't know dick about our roster at time of press conference. I find it extremely hard to believe that he's gone from zero to appointing a starting QB in 24 hours.

That said, the absolutely ideal outcome for the team WOULD be for Trent to turn out to be a capable starter. I don't see it happening at this point, but it sure would be nice not to have to spend a high draft pick, via trade or draft, on a QB.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
ooooooooookkkkkkkk.... edwards is done... fitz beat him out...

Don't Panic
01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n

and espn usually gets it wrong

Agreed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the truth. Taking a close look at Gailey's experience shows he works well with medicority. In fact, better with it than with stars (which is why McNabb is out the window).

Not defending TE per se, but to put a young QB with an already fragile sense of confidence into a position like he was last year is beyond ridiculous. Gailey will make the call based on who can run his offense... and I see him doing about 10x better job running an offense than what we had the last few years.

Michael82
01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm actually starting to wonder if maybe Gailey will try to acquire Tyler Thigpen from the Dolphins.

wmoz11
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm actually starting to wonder if maybe Gailey will try to acquire Tyler Thigpen from the Dolphins.

Not a chance the Dolphins trade within the division to give us our potential future QB. Unless we overpay. Or we're talking about Drew Bledsoe.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I think Fitz would have a better chance imo. He shows he can audible out of bad plays into better ones sometimes and Trent never does.

Trent has lost the locker room and fans. He won't get that back, especially with the fans when he said "I'm not a fan I'm a player"

Buckets
01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
How the F*** do they know and why do you guys keep thinking this stuff is gospel?

WeAreArthurMoates
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Seriously, if they standing pat at qb, Brohm will beat out Trent for the job.

trapezeus
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Trent will be on the team next year. he has the lowest salary of the bunch.

Is that disappointing? Of course. Can chan gailey prevent edwards from getting injured? nope. Can he find a line to keep him from getting injured, probably not. Edwards has gotten hurt every year and 2 years he had a decent pass defending OL.

That being said, TE should be the starting QB or Brohm. if they draft a guy and put that guy behind a work in progress OL again, guess what team will be looking at a first round QB in 2013? That's right. So take our time this time. We have guys who can take a beating for another year.

Prepare yourself for another boring ass football team.

elltrain22
01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
are we ever gonna get some good news??

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
i can't wait to NOT go to one game this year. i said the same thing last year and ended up going to every game. i'm going to stick to my guns this year. i can't fathom watching trent suckwards for one more game.

ddaryl
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
How the F*** do they know and why do you guys keep thinking this stuff is gospel?

the media did a damn good job telling us who was unwilling to come here and coach and got it 100% correct

plus this is the Bills were talking about, of course there going to keep trying to do the same things over and over again and expect different results... that's how we got into this mess to begin with, and watching the FO completely bungle the coaching search and the major changes that were promised lends itself to one conclusion

nothing has changed.

If it is not true then let OBD come out and say so... until then the media obvioulsy knows more then they do. This is how much I trust the Bills FO... I'm now believing the media 1st and OBD second

still waiting on those big changes..

and somebody remind OBD that Trent isn't very consistent at hitting the moving target

better days
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
If our OFFENSIVELY MINDED coach looks at all of our options and believes Trent is the one who gives us the best chance to win, then I'll trust his judgement and wait to criticize.

Yes, I saw Trent play and believe the same things most of you do...but when a fresh mind comes in and decides he is the best out of what is available, then I'm on board..for a few games.

If Chan decides Trent is the starter I will also trust his judgement, but I don't think he will. He started Thigpen over two guys that were listed as ahead of him in KC. I have to believe the same will happen here. I also do not want to see the Bills give up a high draft pick for an old QB.

BlackMetalNinja
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
They changed the story again already on ESPN.com, but in the initial report yesterday from Schefter, there was a comment that more or less said one of the reasons the Bills wanted Gailey was for his reputation of making the playoffs with non franchise QBs. They specifically mentioned Mike Tomczack, Kordell Stewart, and Jay Fiedler.

That right there told me all I needed to know about what next year's plan was. I do agree that it doesn't really matter though, priority #1 has to be the offensive line. Until that's fixed, no quarterback is going to have much success. Of course, many of us have been repeating that line for at least 5 years now.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
As I stated back in November and throughout the rest of the season Jauron was fired because he was told to bench Edwards and refused. Wilson wanted to bench TE because he was getting killed back there and put JF in to save TE for the coming season. DJ wanted to play TE because the team, despite being at 3-6, was still in the playoff race. While many here saw playing Fitz as the sign that TE was finished here that just is not true. He will be on the team next season and most likely will be the starter. I'm not suprised by this from espn I reported it months ago it took them a long time to figure it out.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Franchise QBs demand a whole lot of cashola.

They changed the story again already on ESPN.com, but in the initial report yesterday from Schefter, there was a comment that more or less said one of the reasons the Bills wanted Gailey was for his reputation of making the playoffs with non franchise QBs. They specifically mentioned Mike Tomczack, Kordell Stewart, and Jay Fiedler.

That right there told me all I needed to know about what next year's plan was. I do agree that it doesn't really matter though, priority #1 has to be the offensive line. Until that's fixed, no quarterback is going to have much success. Of course, many of us have been repeating that line for at least 5 years now.

Buckets
01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
the media did a damn good job telling us who was unwilling to come here and coach and got it 100% correct

plus this is the Bills were talking about, of course there going to keep trying to do the same things over and over again and expect different results... that's how we got into this mess to begin with, and watching the FO completely bungle the coaching search and the major changes that were promised lends itself to one conclusion

nothing has changed.

If it is not true then let OBD come out and say so... until then the media obvioulsy knows more then they do. This is how much I trust the Bills FO... I'm now believing the media 1st and OBD second

still waiting on those big changes..

and somebody remind OBD that Trent isn't very consistent at hitting the moving target

You have got to be kidding. The media did a **** job forcasting anything they reported after the fact. This is all speculation.

Commissioner
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Trent is known around the league as a potential great QB....

If the Buffalo Bills cut him there would be 10 teams knocking down his door...

You guys need to give the guy a chance with a decent oline and a good coach.

Historian
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
are we ever gonna get some good news??

The Yankees just won their 27th World Series Championship....

Griff
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
So SI is now published from the future?

Griff
01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
The Yankees just won their 27th World Series Championship....

I'm not going to neg you, but that is not good news. Good news would be, baseball canceled forever, replaced by lingerie league football.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Trent Edwards will be just fine if he is coached right. Id rather have him back there than Fitzpatrick, honestly.

shelby
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
all i can say is
:rofl:

ddaryl
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM

the guy has trouble hitting a moving target with consistency.. which is why he keeps reverting back to captain Checkdown... those short button hook and sit down roots are the patterns he feels real comfortable with.

I'm all for letting him compete, but this team needs to bring in a Vet that can actually beat out Edwards, not a guy like Fitz who was brought in not to threaten Edwards and yet still ended up takin gover in the end.

ddaryl
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
You have got to be kidding. The media did a **** job forcasting anything they reported after the fact. This is all speculation.

right now I do not doubt that the Bills will try and do exactly this... We'll have Edwards Brohm and Fitz competing next year.

When they publicly tell us they are going after a QB I'll wait for it to actually happen.. but I really have no reaosn to think this news is specualtion, it fits the Bills profile

I've said this 100 times already. It's the Bills front office that has everything to prove to me... I've watched this franchise operate and I can't say the media doesn't know crap because apparently they clearly do.

Philagape
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM

A great QB is not one who needs everything around him to go right. A great QB makes those around him look better. Matt Cassel looked great in the right surroundings (key word being "looked").

JD
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I support Trent Edwards 100%.

Mike13
01-20-2010, 03:13 PM
<!-- End Post Thank You Hack -->
<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->So SI is now published from the future?

Where we go there are no Franchise Qbs.

Mitchell55
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Didnt Buddy Nix say that we can only do well with a good QB

JD
01-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Post of the month. THANK YOU.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM

He said we can only do well with good QB play. No **** sherlock.

Dr. Pepper
01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
wow didnt know there was anyone left on the edwards train.... weird.

trapezeus
01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
edwards has potential if he had a great line. he's had survivable lines at first and looked ok. he was still tentative, but he delivered the ball quickly.

now he's lost everythign he built up, and the biggest knock is that he can't stay healthy.

No coaching is going to get him around that. and it's not like he has a wonky knee. he has back to back concussions. The guy isn't long a full season. He could be good on a different team. but with this OL, with this weather, and with this team, he won't go anywhere.

most other teams, he still won't las t a full season. the bills can't get players where everything has to be perfect. they need to find some mannings where he can win it on his own when everything is stacked against him.

alohabillsfan
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
So to summarize, Capt. Check down will be the starter until he is hurt,. Which won't take very long because I think he just does not have that tough guy mentality that picks himself up, if he did might earn him some respect from the linemen!

Cleve
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
So to summarize, Capt. Check down will be the starter until he is hurt,. Which won't take very long because I think he just does not have that tough guy mentality that picks himself up, if he did might earn him some respect from the linemen!
He has never been the same after his first concussion. Not sure what that injury did to him, but he was like a different QB when he returned - just look at the stats.

And then he was concussed again. AND an ankle injury. If Edwards did have potential at one point, playing with Jauron's horrible O-line sucked it out of him like a talent vampire.

I think Gailey is savvy enough about that game that he would only play Edwards if there wasn't any other options. Unfortunately given the horrible straight that good old Marv left this team in, there may not be any QB options in 2010. As many sports reporters have pointed out, 2010 is one of the very worst years in a long time to try and pick up a F.A. Q.B. Being stuck with Edwards/Fitzpatrick may be the Levy Legacy, if you want to call it that.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
actually the day he came back he totally lit up the chargers.

He has never been the same after his first concussion. Not sure what that injury did to him, but he was like a different QB when he returned - just look at the stats.

And then he was concussed again. AND an ankle injury. If Edwards did have potential at one point, playing with Jauron's horrible O-line sucked it out of him like a talent vampire.

I think Gailey is savvy enough about that game that he would only play Edwards if there wasn't any other options. Unfortunately given the horrible straight that good old Marv left this team in, there may not be any QB options in 2010. As many sports reporters have pointed out, 2010 is one of the very worst years in a long time to try and pick up a F.A. Q.B. Being stuck with Edwards/Fitzpatrick may be the Levy Legacy, if you want to call it that.

HHURRICANE
01-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Sirrius said the same thing. I think this might have been a factor in hiring Gailey.

HHURRICANE
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM

No. He said good "o-line".

Nighthawk
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Ehh, Rodgers plays behind one of the worst OL in the league and still is a top 5 QB. The QB who is behind the OL is just as important as the OL who is protecting that QB.

HHURRICANE
01-20-2010, 05:29 PM

This post will get hated but he's right. This is not JP Losman we are talking about here. There are plenty of teams that would take a shot on Edwards.

People around here don't get how impossible the job is with a crappy o-line, have 3 different OCs , and losing the playbook the week before the season starts.

Did Edwards regress?? Yes. Can he recover? Have no idea. But coaches and media think he can still play.

HHURRICANE
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Ehh, Rodgers plays behind one of the worst OL in the league and still is a top 5 QB. The QB who is behind the OL is just as important as the OL who is protecting that QB.

How long did Rogers sit behind Farve? He also developed behind a good o-line. Edwards has had neither one of those scenarios.

CoolBreeze
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM

More Sportscenter tabloid fodder..... Isn't this the same network that said Leslie Frazier was a lock? The same network that said Marty S wanted to come here so bad, yet he said today, that was not the case.. The same network that claimed Jim Harbaugh was offered the job, without an interview? I think I've had enough reading SI, Sporting News, ESPN, CNN,
PFT, Rotoworld, KFFL, and all the rest of the rumor mongers, who obviously don't know what is really going on. This team, held their "candidates" pretty close to the vest, and kept the media out of their coaching search. So, now the media is deciding what the depth chart is going to be in January???

CoolBreeze
01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
This post will get hated but he's right. This is not JP Losman we are talking about here. There are plenty of teams that would take a shot on Edwards.

People around here don't get how impossible the job is with a crappy o-line, have 3 different OCs , and losing the playbook the week before the season starts.

Did Edwards regress?? Yes. Can he recover? Have no idea. But coaches and media think he can still play.

Agreed.. Hard to evaluate QB's when they are on their backs all day

tampabay25690
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
I think that TRENT will be here next year as well....
We know this offense goes around FREDDY JACKSON

malo
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
More Sportscenter tabloid fodder..... Isn't this the same network that said Leslie Frazier was a lock? The same network that said Marty S wanted to come here so bad, yet he said today, that was not the case.. The same network that claimed Jim Harbaugh was offered the job, without an interview? I think I've had enough reading SI, Sporting News, ESPN, CNN,
PFT, Rotoworld, KFFL, and all the rest of the rumor mongers, who obviously don't know what is really going on. This team, held their "candidates" pretty close to the vest, and kept the media out of their coaching search. So, now the media is deciding what the depth chart is going to be in January???
:bf1:

Chan said himself it's going to take time to evaluate. No way in hell he appointed anyone the starter.

YardRat
01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, but this is the best post that I did see.

Trent may be serviceable for another season, and possibly still able to salvage a career, but his lack of leadership is extremely troubling...That's an intagible that should've come to the surface by now, and really isn't something that can be taught.

I'd really like to see the team shoot for a FA vet, maybe another draft pick, and let the 4-5 guys battle it out in TC.

Edit: I also think that we're just a quality LT away from having a very solid and possibly dominant offensive line.

SABURZFAN
01-20-2010, 06:09 PM
:rofl: Even you were bashing Edwards during the season.

:couch: :ontome:

msfdurango
01-20-2010, 06:58 PM
You have got to be kidding. The media did a **** job forcasting anything they reported after the fact. This is all speculation.I agree with you. They initially reported that no coach wanted to come to Buffalo. Then after Buddy's statement about receiving at least 15 calls a day from people who wanted the job all of a sudden the media turned around and claimed Mart S, Mike M, and Marc T. all were wanting the job. These people are full of ***t.

justasportsfan
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
he'll break in half before he gets halfway there

better days
01-20-2010, 07:03 PM
i can't wait to NOT go to one game this year. i said the same thing last year and ended up going to every game. i'm going to stick to my guns this year. i can't fathom watching trent suckwards for one more game.

Admit it, if the Bills start out 1-0, you will be at game 2.

better days
01-20-2010, 07:14 PM

I think the fact that the rest of the NFL now has plenty of film on Trent & knows how to defend him has more to do with Trents poor play than anything else.