PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Your are About to Get a Dosage of Reality

Mike
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
This post comes with total compassion and understanding. I do no blame anyone or want some kind of misguided revenge, instead I realize why these choices are made. Here it is:

So, if you are somewhat intelligent, you may wounder why the Bills have made so many awful moves, in the past 10years. Awful moves in FA, in the Draft, and in hiring FO and Coaches and why it Continues. Well here is you answer:
1) Ralph is getting old, He realizes that the clock is clicking and that chances are he will not win a SB in his life time.
2) He gave winning a real push with Donohue. They made big FA splashes, trades, etc.. but the pieces did not come together and the project failed.
3) Now Ralph is in a Conservation Mode. He wants to save Money.
4) Ralph does not plan on passing his team down to his daughter -tax inheritance reasons-, instead they plan on selling it after his death.
5) Selling the Team after his death opens the door for a move by the new owner out of Buffalo. In order for that door to be open, it is beneficial for the Bills to be a loosing team. A loosing team will have less revenue than a winning team, making a move more justifiable (small market not making enough money, even when it sells out... no jersey sales or luxury box sales etc...)
6) Ralph hires a PR/Marketing Guru, Brandon.. (sp?) to market the team. This guy is not a football guy but a marketing guy and he is so good, that he has been selling ice to a Buffalonians! So, a loosing Bills Team is still selling out more than those Bills SB teams. Remember the Greatest Comeback ever? It did not sell out!

Conclusion: Ralph wins on 3 different levels. He owns the team and is not hated by fans for selling it or moving it. He saves money by not spending the full salary cap, he also saves on FO and Coaches, and best of all, the Bills still Sell out due to crafty marketing!

Oldbillsfan
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
loosing the team would be bad

OpIv37
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
So you're basically saying that we are being major league'd. Your exact scenario sounds too thoughtful and manipulative to be true, but I don't doubt that the general intent is correct. I think this team is gone after the stadium lease expires in 2012.

ddaryl
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
dude you're not dosing anyone here

we already are very aware of this scenario....

1st proof will be who they bring in as coordinators, especially DC. Do they spend for a top coordinator

2nd proof will come this uncapped offseason. How many solid FA's does the team bring in ?

or do they spin it by saying we just couldn't convince them to come to Buffalo line

Yasgur's Farm
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Mike,

You contradict your own points throughout your post. Your logic fails here IMO.

Prov401
01-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Losing. Not 2 o's (loosing)...It's, losing.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
they are in shutdown and self preservation mode because of the pending labor problems and league pressure to get rid of revenue sharing. I've tried to defend Wilson for years and think positive but those days are over. It's true, he is cheap and has no vision of long term health from well spent money. He does not want to be caught with his pants down and lose milliions through a revenue agreement that does not specifically put him in an optimal situation.

Beebe's Kid
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Manual buzzer...

Sell this team to Buffalo... This team has always been supported, they do not need sold. There is nothing that Brandon has done to make me spend more money than I would have because of whatever mental deficiency makes me a fan to begin with.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Manual buzzer...

Sell this team to Buffalo... This team has always been supported, they do not need sold. There is nothing that Brandon has done to make me spend more money than I would have because of whatever mental deficiency makes me a fan to begin with.

you better see someone it's too early to have drank that much alcohol.

trapezeus
01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
what year was the original post written? Ralph's daughter definitely isnt' getting the team and it has nothing to do with tax reasons. it has to do that she's dead!

As for the rest of the email, that is probably case. As an intelligent bills fan that has been "woundering" about the team's fate, i don't think it'll end up well. and i don't think i even care anymore. A bunch of losers who didn't want anything but money. i hope when russ brokers the deal, the new owner realizes he's an idiot and ****cans him to the streets. and yes, the same side of the street that ralph wilson is apparently walking on.

and i hope that city that gets the bills forever lives with the bad breaks an inability to win games. That'll be a real treat to watch.

dannyek71
01-20-2010, 04:19 PM
So why didn't he just keep DJ then? That wouldnt have saved money and guaranteed loosing.

Bills fans come not because of great marketing, but because it is who we are. We sit in the cold and freeze our tail off because its in our blood. No ad on tv is great enough to lure someone to go to a meaningless game in weather so cold it freezes your beer in 2 minutes.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
One of his daughters is dead. What about the other ones?

what year was the original post written? Ralph's daughter definitely isnt' getting the team and it has nothing to do with tax reasons. it has to do that she's dead!

As for the rest of the email, that is probably case. As an intelligent bills fan that has been "woundering" about the team's fate, i don't think it'll end up well. and i don't think i even care anymore. A bunch of losers who didn't want anything but money. i hope when russ brokers the deal, the new owner realizes he's an idiot and ****cans him to the streets. and yes, the same side of the street that ralph wilson is apparently walking on.

and i hope that city that gets the bills forever lives with the bad breaks an inability to win games. That'll be a real treat to watch.

TedMock
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm just trying to grasp this. So, please be patient and help me understand. My question is: Wouldn't it be better if they couldn't sell tickets or get fan support if the goal was to move the team? No support = no sales = a good reason to leave. Let's go to a better place. No?

Typ0
01-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm just trying to grasp this. So, please be patient and help me understand. My question is: Wouldn't it be better if they couldn't sell tickets or get fan support if the goal was to move the team? No support = no sales = a good reason to leave. Let's go to a better place. No?

I'm not so sure. The longer they sell tickets the more money they get and the more stable things remain. They can just chug along. If ticket sales start to plummet they are going to start getting a lot of political pressure about how the lack of sales is effecting the economy in WNY. People of power are going to start to exert pressure to do something real to change that and they are going to start to offer assistance that will come with a commitment. At that point the piece of ****'s stench will be completely exposed and the last remaining koolaid drinkers will be throwing rocks at every limo leaving OBD.

Pinkerton Security
01-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I never realized Phil Donahue was ever such a factor in our success, but I'll take your word for it.

ParanoidAndroid
01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Why would Ralph want his franchise to decrease in value before sale?

Why the expansion of market, locally?

In the very early 90's the team did not have much of a fan base outside of WNY. Since then, the fan base has been growing.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Why would Ralph want his franchise to decrease in value before sale?

Why the expansion of market, locally?

TAXES

ParanoidAndroid
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
TAXES

That does not make sense.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I think I explained that stuff earlier. Making it financially viable and popular here keeps the political pressure off their backs which threatens to expose their ultimate plans.

Billz_fan
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
I never realized Phil Donahue was ever such a factor in our success, but I'll take your word for it.

:laughter:

Mike
01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Ok, a number of you brought up money, so lets talk about it.
Here is one good questions:
"I'm just trying to grasp this. So, please be patient and help me understand. My question is: Wouldn't it be better if they couldn't sell tickets or get fan support if the goal was to move the team? No support = no sales = a good reason to leave. Let's go to a better place. No?"
Answer: The above claim is full of logic. It makes perfect sense however there is more to it.
As for Ralph, Ralph will not benefit if the team moves -the new owner would. For him the incentive exists right now for him to profit most by increasing revenue and decreasing costs which is what he is doing.
Now, no matter how well the Team does here in term of ticket sales, a new owner can still make the claim that Buffalo is not economically viable. He can make the following argument:
1) Bills need new stadium to increase revenue and keep up with the Joneses (pun)
2) New stadium = higher seating capacity and Luxury Box Seats
3) Buffalo, the City, can not afford a new staduim and
4) Most Buffalonians could not afford high ticket prices/luxury box suites etc..
5) Buffalo's small market does not bode well for merchandise and other revenue streams
6) In a Case by Case Comparison, Buffalo would loose to LA, Toronto, Mexico City etc.. any other Big City with Large Business and Wealth.

Conclusion: Even if Buffalo sell out, it is still not as good as those other places, and still does not compete with the Jonses... This was infact Ralphs argument in the last Collective Bargaining Argreement. Basically Cities Like Buffalo, Cincinati, Jax, etc... need total revenue sharing (merchandise included) to stay competitive.

Now in the case that Bills do not sell out, the new owner could even go as far as claiming that " Buffalo is not a true NFL City, ect... bs bs bs bs and that it can not support an NFL team etc..."

It is a basic catch 22! When it sells out it is not enough - basically turning a strength into a weakness-, and when it does not sell out, its not an NFL city...

HHURRICANE
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
The likely conclusion is that the team is gone after 2012. Ralph is not acting like a guy that want's to win or keep the team in Buffalo.

People let's at least be serious about that reality. Not using the cap to it's full potential even with the bogus "cash to Cap" scenario should tell you everything you need to know.

We are spending under the cap people. That's a pretty big clue.

Mike
01-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Someone asked, "Can Buffalo -as in the city/inhabitants- buy the Bills"
The answer is Yes and NO
A: Yes: from a pure Business point of view it is possible to sell Buffalo Bills stocks and make the residents the major share holders like they did in Green Bay.
A: No: its Possible, but will the NFL ever do that again: NO. They regret doing it in Green Bay. Now the Packers could never really be moved, this does not allow the NFL flexibility. In essence you are telling a Business Owner that he is not allowed to move his business to a different location because the neighborhood decided so even though he is not making money!

Mitchell55
01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Heres 2 reasons

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0924/nfl_u_schonert_edwards_580.jpg

Mike
01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
HH,
Things are obvious but often the majority do not see it until its too late. Just look at politics or any historic even. Even though there were clues, most are not paying any attention. The few that do, benefit and prosper.

billistic
01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Ralph never knew didley about football. Ralph always well knew how to farm Buffalo for cash, and still does. Makes no difference how well or poorly the Bills play...the cash keeps rolling in. All the technically un-dead owner needs to do is to make the few obligatory changes every couple of years, and the dreamers have another failed orgasm as they dig out their wallets.

Zero
01-20-2010, 05:58 PM
This post comes with total compassion and understanding. I do no blame anyone or want some kind of misguided revenge, instead I realize why these choices are made. Here it is:

So, if you are somewhat intelligent, you may wounder why the Bills have made so many awful moves, in the past 10years. Awful moves in FA, in the Draft, and in hiring FO and Coaches and why it Continues. Well here is you answer:
1) Ralph is getting old, He realizes that the clock is clicking and that chances are he will not win a SB in his life time.
2) He gave winning a real push with Donohue. They made big FA splashes, trades, etc.. but the pieces did not come together and the project failed.
4) Ralph does not plan on passing his team down to his daughter -tax inheritance reasons-, instead they plan on selling it after his death.
5) Selling the Team after his death opens the door for a move by the new owner out of Buffalo. In order for that door to be open, it is beneficial for the Bills to be a loosing team. A loosing team will have less revenue than a winning team, making a move more justifiable (small market not making enough money, even when it sells out... no jersey sales or luxury box sales etc...)
6) Ralph hires a PR/Marketing Guru, Brandon.. (sp?) to market the team. This guy is not a football guy but a marketing guy and he is so good, that he has been selling ice to a Buffalonians! So, a loosing Bills Team is still selling out more than those Bills SB teams. Remember the Greatest Comeback ever? It did not sell out!

Conclusion: Ralph wins on 3 different levels. He owns the team and is not hated by fans for selling it or moving it. He saves money by not spending the full salary cap, he also saves on FO and Coaches, and best of all, the Bills still Sell out due to crafty marketing!

I thought of this possiblity, and as much as I would like to dismiss it, I find it increasingly plausible. Ralph basically mailed it in after Donahoe. He refuses to bring in an outside guy knowing full well he will need to compensate them accordingly while simultaneously giving the reigns of the football program to someone he dosent/know or trust.

Ralph's not stupid, and you can poke fun at the man all you want, he seems pretty lucid to me. He has to know Buffalo Bills football needs to be completely overhauled from the top ala Cleveland Browns. But like the original poster said, Ralph's in conservation mode. He doesnt want to bother with that at his age or expend all that money.

He might just be making this franchise as profitable as possible, using marketing gimmicks to sell tickets, and so forth, so when he finally kicks the bucket the family can sell the franchise to the highest bidder and get the most money possible. THAT is the legacy Ralph wants to leave behind. The legacy he leaves for his family- not the fans of the franchise or the citizens of its city.

psubills62
01-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Warning: You are about to get a dose of reality:

People won't take you seriously if you can't spell. Seriously, "uncommpetative?"

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 06:18 PM
TAXES
Until estate taxes are at 100%, that's not true. At a 40% death tax rate, you lose 60%of every dollar by which you devalue the franchise.

billistic
01-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Warning: You are about to get a dose of reality:

People won't take you seriously if you can't spell. Seriously, "uncommpetative?"

What? 49% of Americans took George Bush seriously even after he barely survived the terrorist attack by the pretzel.

BillsFanCupp38
01-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Anything is possible. Could be a conspiracy...

YardRat
01-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Possible, but unlikely.

Pinkerton Security
01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
What? 49% of Americans took George Bush seriously even after he barely survived the terrorist attack by the pretzel.

then he should have said "no one on here will take you seriously", i didnt take anything he said seriously

ServoBillieves
01-20-2010, 11:42 PM

If it hasn't already been said... Thank you Captain Obvious.

Ralph Wilson found the American dream. Get a professional football team (the highest market in America), get a ton of money, don't spend it all, give it to the ones you love, and **** everyone else who cares about the team. It seems to be what I've seen...

more cowbell
01-20-2010, 11:42 PM
as ive said before many times...the goal is to run this team into the ground and move them in 2012...using "lack of fan support and small market" as the excuse

JD
01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Old news but thread fail.