PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley plays the race card over the Gailey hire

Cleve
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't see any threads about this gem

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/01/barkley-weighs-in-on-gailey-over-frazier.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

Apparently Barkley thinks the decision to hire Gailey instead of Frazer is motivated by, at least in part, racism. What an idiot.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
barkley has no idea about Ralphs history: ITS ALL ABOUT THE CHEAPEST NOT THE BLACKEST OR LIGHTEST

Night Train
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Stick it, Sir Charles.

Cleve
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
barkley has no idea about Ralphs history: ITS ALL ABOUT THE CHEAPEST NOT THE BLACKEST OR LIGHTEST

Barkley apparently doesn't know that John Guy is black, either.

Philagape
01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
If it were about racism, why did they interview two black candidates?

Mitchell55
01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Does he realize that we only interviewed 2 black coaches, then signed the white guy as 1 was still in the playoffs and the other already got signed. Not only that but we may sign a black QB

Typ0
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't know if you guys were paying attention but upstairs is loaded up with nothing but good old boys right now.

Mitchell55
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't know if you guys were paying attention but upstairs is loaded up with nothing but good old boys right now.

Brandon aint old at all

Ebenezer
If it were about racism, why did they interview two black candidates?
i think he needs to point at Seattle and Washington first...just a hunch.

Typ0
Brandon aint old at all

what does that have to do with anything?

Mitchell55
01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
what does that have to do with anything?

I thought you were saying that our front office is a bunch of old people

Typ0
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I thought you were saying that our front office is a bunch of old people

no, I said good old boys. Whitey.

Meathead
01-20-2010, 06:24 PM
guy is black?!

oh now i really want him fired

Jan Reimers
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Buddy and Chan are breaking out their pointy hats and white sheets right now.

Philagape
01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
"I like Roger Goodell -- and the way he hammers these players, he's got to start hammering these teams, man. They just can't go get guys off the steets instead of hiring young black assistants."

So he actually thinks the NFL should FORCE teams to hire black coaches.

elltrain22
01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh my my my my!! Charles, you sir, are an idiot

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
The Bills are so racist they made Fewell interim HC and not April. What a bunch a BS. What is it with calling the Bills out lately? Next they will be saying the Bills are responsible for the high unemployment rate.

better days
01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
So he actually thinks the NFL should FORCE teams to hire black coaches.

Well, Tony Dungy has said all things being equal that he would hire a black coach over a white one because he wants to help advance his people.

Philagape
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, Tony Dungy has said all things being equal that he would hire a black coach over a white one because he wants to help advance his people.

That's his choice. But Barfley's talking about making it mandatory.

Philagape
01-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Buddy and Chan are breaking out their pointy hats and white sheets right now.

They must be racist; they have southern accents.

YardRat
01-20-2010, 06:58 PM
At least we skated by releasing JP Losman without the gay community getting all up in arms. Can't win them all.

better days
01-20-2010, 07:00 PM
At least we skated by releasing JP Losman without the gay community getting all up in arms. Can't win them all.

I thought it was Trent that was gay.

Bmax
01-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Does he realize that we only interviewed 2 black coaches, then signed the white guy as 1 was still in the playoffs and the other already got signed. Not only that but we may sign a black QB

Don't stick your head in the sand ....We interviewed more than Fewell and Frazier...It's looks good tht the two guys we have in the media are african -american.. But i do believe we had discussions with Harbaugh and others ...Shanahan cowher...etc...

I believe a that should be made is that in the NFL guys that fail who are white get a lot of second chances...That is not always the case with african american coaches...alot have gotten second chances see Dennis Green, Herman Edwards Tony Dungy...

I guess Charles who always does this is saying give the Brother the first chance if he is good and not the other guy a chance who has already gotten his shot...

Trust me race is still an issue in the NFL maybe not in this case but it's still an issue just like in life...Unfornately it still is...

Bmax

Bmax
01-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Black Qb .. Really wow we had two already ...Remember James Harris and Wllie Totten on the scab team in 1987...Yikes..what a bad team that was....

I just want someone that's good...period....

Bmax

New Ro's Greatest
01-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Barkley is a tool! GO BILLS:offair:

VeggieMan14
01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
man thats turrble

OpIv37
01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't see any threads about this gem

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/01/barkley-weighs-in-on-gailey-over-frazier.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

Apparently Barkley thinks the decision to hire Gailey instead of Frazer is motivated by, at least in part, racism. What an idiot.

Stupidity, senility and incompetence aren't the same as racism.

bflojohn
01-20-2010, 09:13 PM
A large part of the "dumbing down of America" is the concept of giving people like Charles Barkley a platform in the first place! I'm getting throughly fed up with "talking heads" and their agendas. Who is this large, fat man??

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
snarles barkley is one of the goofiest looking mother ****ers i have ever seen.

Philagape
01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
guy is black?!

oh now i really want him fired

Done!

Beebe's Kid
01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Boy, doesn't the class just ooze out when race gets mentioned. White sheets, fire Guy because he's black (done, probably because of ineptitude, not race,) and a few others....

That is why people like Barkley get to say s#$t like this. As much as racism should be dead, it is, unfortunately alive and well. Before it gets mentioned, that isn't from a high horse, either...maybe just a horse of human decency and social progression.

BillsWin
01-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Why would we chose to make Perry Fewell, a black man, the interim head coach when we fired Dick Jauron, and not promote Bobby April, a white man, and our assistant head coach if we were racist?

How the hell does this guy keep getting work?

PECKERWOOD
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
What else could it have been? It's definitely a mind blowing choice, I was thinking that Brian Schotty would be the next coach or heck even Lesley Frazier as Barkley eluded to. Seriously, if Frazier could have brought Al Saunders with him as our OC then why wouldn't he be a better hire? We'll have to see wait and see who Gailey brings in, but I think that passing on Frazier was a mistake.

better days
01-20-2010, 11:26 PM
What else could it have been? It's definitely a mind blowing choice, I was thinking that Brian Schotty would be the next coach or heck even Lesley Frazier as Barkley eluded to. Seriously, if Frazier could have brought Al Saunders with him as our OC then why wouldn't he be a better hire? We'll have to see wait and see who Gailey brings in, but I think that passing on Frazier was a mistake.

Well I think that Chan Gailey is a much better OC than Al Saunders. He has HC experience which Frazier does not have & I don't think Frazier is all that good as a DC. We will have to see who Gailey brings in as DC.

PECKERWOOD
01-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Well I think that Chan Gailey is a much better OC than Al Saunders. He has HC experience which Frazier does not have & I don't think Frazier is all that good as a DC. We will have to see who Gailey brings in as DC.

I didn't really weigh in those factors, good points, but Frazier is definitely still very intriguing and the more orthodox choice between the two.

Liverpoolkev
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Barkley apparently doesn't know that John Guy is black, either. Hell the only reason he wasn't fired sooner because the rooney rule applies to front office too. I bet you dont see the real culprits leave this organization Littman (whom Polian had trouble prying money from him for years ) overdorfer , and brandon the bait and switch man ( his m.o. is to act like we are trying to acquire somene but say that they wasnt interested ) ............................as far as gailey they went cheap direction but i wonder if Frazier would have been cheaper ................Doesnt look like gailey was to prepared for this job, Hell you would think when interviewing to be a coach you would have a list of who you would hire , what defensive philosphy you want to employ etc. But gailey dont know what kind of defense he wants to run ..................coordiators isnt beating down his door .........It took miami 1 day to fire and hire Mike Nolan whose defense this past year was rated 6th..............................so yes gailey by his own admission knew that his hire wasnt based on merit but the GOOD OLE BOY NETWORK ....so i guess i see Barkleys point :question: :fit:

Liverpoolkev
01-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Well I think that Chan Gailey is a much better OC than Al Saunders. He has HC experience which Frazier does not have & I don't think Frazier is all that good as a DC. We will have to see who Gailey brings in as DC. I guess Frazier being a top coordinator the past 7years means nothing compared to a person whom just got back from the college game(so so at best) get a gig as O-coordinator and get fired the next year i guess for some people that would be enough..................I wonder:dead: if those 18 games of HC experience would have been enough to get Frazier hired .................In Buffalo :please: I doubt it

JD
01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
..andddddddddd he just got fired, maybe he was right? Two southern guys not liking blacks in the front office? :refuse:

Cleve
01-21-2010, 04:45 AM

..andddddddddd he just got fired, maybe he was right? Two southern guys not liking blacks in the front office? :refuse:

Holy crow - did I jinx the eff out of John Guy, or what? ~ 4 hours or so after I posted this, he's ****-canned. Don't everyone thank me at once.

Should somebody tell Nix and Gailey that Modrak is black? He's not but.... Maybe those two would just fire him without even double checking first?

Griff
01-21-2010, 07:54 AM

yep it has nothing to do with our terrible offense.

Griff
01-21-2010, 07:54 AM
The only racist involved with this, is Charles Barkley.

ZAZusmc03
01-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. :cheers:

trapezeus
01-21-2010, 08:21 AM
i don't think charles barkley is saying, "overt racism". What he is saying that based on the credentials. Why wouldn't you go with a guy who currently is hot and covetted instead of some has been that has been irrelevant for over 10 years?

This sounds a lot like when auburn passed on Turner Gil for an old white coach who had done nothing but lose. It's not "pointy hat racism" but it is perplexing.

At least Chan gailey has some old credentials that shows that he had been a winner, but nothing to prove that he is relevant in today's NFL.

Griff
01-21-2010, 08:43 AM
i don't think charles barkley is saying, "overt racism". What he is saying that based on the credentials. Why wouldn't you go with a guy who currently is hot and covetted instead of some has been that has been irrelevant for over 10 years?

This sounds a lot like when auburn passed on Turner Gil for an old white coach who had done nothing but lose. It's not "pointy hat racism" but it is perplexing.

At least Chan gailey has some old credentials that shows that he had been a winner, but nothing to prove that he is relevant in today's NFL.

right because we really needed another defensive minded coach.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
right because we really needed another defensive minded coach.

We need a good coach, who hires the right coordinators. Whether he comes from defense or offense.

Bill Cody
01-21-2010, 08:47 AM
This really gets my back up. Charles is not looking at Ralph's history. Ralph's an equal opportunity idiot.:cp:

trapezeus
01-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Charles Barkley's observation isn't pointed at anyone specifically.

Isn't it possible that with reports that the rooney rule is being bipassed and a guy of frazier's breed who has been on the list for a number of years to make the jump keeps getting passed on?

Yet, a retread with a top 5 worst coaching record in Dick Jauron got 3 shots.
Chan Gailey who was deemed unfit on a very bad KC team got another shot.
Wandstadt who sucked in chicago got to try again in Miami
Norv Turner who has never been a good head coach has resurfaced 3 times.

Yet, name me another black head coach who has sucked at every stop of the way that got multiple chances. And don't cite Art Shell. That one is beyond race. It's just stupidity on Al Davis' part.

Jan Reimers
01-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Charles Barkley's observation isn't pointed at anyone specifically.

Isn't it possible that with reports that the rooney rule is being bipassed and a guy of frazier's breed who has been on the list for a number of years to make the jump keeps getting passed on?

Yet, a retread with a top 5 worst coaching record in Dick Jauron got 3 shots.
Chan Gailey who was deemed unfit on a very bad KC team got another shot.
Wandstadt who sucked in chicago got to try again in Miami
Norv Turner who has never been a good head coach has resurfaced 3 times.

Yet, name me another black head coach who has sucked at every stop of the way that got multiple chances. And don't cite Art Shell. That one is beyond race. It's just stupidity on Al Davis' part.
I'm not sure, Trap, guys like Ray Rhodes and Herm Edwards have had second chances, too. I think there may be some cronyism going on, but I don't think it's racial

Griff
01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure, Trap, guys like Ray Rhodes and Herm Edwards have had second chances, too. I think there may be some cronyism going on, but I don't think it's racial

maybe if they hired Marty

Historian
01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Charles must not know the story of James Harris.

Jan Reimers
01-21-2010, 09:23 AM
maybe if they hired Marty
or Jim Haslett, God forbid.

trapezeus
01-21-2010, 09:38 AM

Cronyism could very well be it. but when groups are on the outside of cronyism, they tend to look at other factors. I think that's what leads to the racism charges.

My point is that it's not overt Racism, but that there is something going on that would upset anyone of us, no matter what our color, if we had the credentials to do a job and routinely got passed over.

It didn't help that seattle and washington totally abused the rooney rule. Sure, they had their guy in mind and it wasn't race based, but it made a mockery of the guys they interviewed for the position.

At this point, Frazier should put a fee on hiring knowing that he won't get hired and that they have to come to him as he's the leading african american candidate.

Philagape
01-21-2010, 09:51 AM
My point is that it's not overt Racism, but that there is something going on that would upset anyone of us, no matter what our color, if we had the credentials to do a job and routinely got passed over.

The credentials are whatever the hiring team says they are. It's not written in stone. Nix said at the start that he wanted experience.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Charles Barkley is a moron, plain and simple.

Griff
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Cronyism could very well be it. but when groups are on the outside of cronyism, they tend to look at other factors. I think that's what leads to the racism charges.

It didn't help that seattle and washington totally abused the rooney rule. Sure, they had their guy in mind and it wasn't race based, but it made a mockery of the guys they interviewed for the position.

At this point, Frazier should put a fee on hiring knowing that he won't get hired and that they have to come to him as he's the leading african american candidate.

Fraizer got passed over because he's a DC, we don't need a DC HC, we need someone to help the offense, to fix the QB and OL problem.

better days
01-21-2010, 01:38 PM
We need a good coach, who hires the right coordinators. Whether he comes from defense or offense.

Exactly, that is the reason Chan is a better hire than Leslie. For one thing Chan has experience as a HC. The Bills don't need anouther 1st time coach that will be learning to do the job. I also think Chan will be able to attract better assistants to Buffalo than a 1st time HC could.

VeggieMan14
01-21-2010, 02:16 PM
no one plays the race card as much as Stephen A. Smith

feldspar
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
If Charles Barkley wants to open his mouth, he can suck my whitey.

Seriously, the Rooney rule IS a joke, I'll agree with him about that. Don't hire the best guy, hire the blackest one. Seems to me that the overwhelming majority of people in the NFL are black anyway.

Maybe they should have some kind of rule where they have to try-out a certain number of white players to be on basketball teams.

Hockey is clearly racist; they're all white guys.

When you own a business, you hire who you want. There is absolutely no evidence of racism here. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson...both racists of their own. They'll defend any guilty person because he is black. Makes them look ridiculous to anybody with a mind of their own. Never seen them defend an innocent white person.

So Barkley liked Frazier better than Gailey. Maybe THAT'S based on race.

Cntrygal
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM

I agree with Griff! :couch:

Where's Patti?

Slim
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
no one plays the race card as much as Stephen A. Smith

CANNOT stand him. He's the most racially slanted journalist there is. Every time he comes on TV i immediately turn it off.

YoungEz
01-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Barkley has a good argument... teams do just interview a black guy despite already hiring a white guy... LOOK AT WASHINGTON WITH SHANNY

Plus you have a guy who is a leading candidate for a HC pos., hot defense vs a guy who couldn't cut it in college, gets cut b4 season starts....

No offense you take race out who would u hire? The first guy, he happens to be black though and second guy is white