• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Could Morgan be in our future?

If we have to draft to head toward a 3-4, Derrick Morgan was recruited by Chan, and fits the Bill for a 3-4 DE. Hes possibly going to be there at 9. Rock solid player vs. the pass and run.

Hes one of my favorite players from the entire upcoming draft:

Theres a few more games I need to watch from him, but I like everything Ive seen thus far.

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Could Morgan be in our future?

My thinking is the Bills need to aquire a true NT or 2, if the 3-4 is our next D. I see Stroud & Spencer Johnson as ideal DE's in a 3-4, since they can penetrate and also have the size to be stout against the run. JMO

That's why I see Schobel retiring or maybe traded to somewhere close to his Texas home, like Dallas or Houston. Seems like he wants out. Kelsay may be on the block also, due to his size. He could never play a 3-4. If we can get April picks for these guys while we change, I'm all for it.

Change is coming.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• sillenb61
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train
      My thinking is the Bills need to aquire a true NT or 2, if the 3-4 is our next D. I see Stroud & Spencer Johnson as ideal DE's in a 3-4, since they can penetrate and also have the size to be stout against the run. JMO

That's why I see Schobel retiring or maybe traded to somewhere close to his Texas home, like Dallas or Houston. Seems like he wants out. Kelsay may be on the block also, due to his size. He could never play a 3-4. If we can get April picks for these guys while we change, I'm all for it.

Change is coming.
      I think the starting DEs would stroud and williams and then johnson rotating in, you cant take williams out of there was probably our defensive mvp behind byrd.

Comment

• methos4ever
        • Apr 2004

They could just make this far less painless and go for a year or two with a hybrid, allowing for guys like a Morgan to grow into be either a 3-4 LB/DE while using his strengths as a 4-3 DE. Gailey's staff was the one to move him from TE to DE, remember.
        Last edited by methos4ever; 01-21-2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

Please NOOOO!!!!!...Not another 1st. on a DE!!!!...It's best available OL, or BUST!!!
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Nix'ed.

Originally posted by Luisito23
            Please NOOOO!!!!!...Not another 1st. on a DE!!!!...It's best available player on draft board, or BUST!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
              http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...1-03a8bc15f132

If we have to draft to head toward a 3-4, Derrick Morgan was recruited by Chan, and fits the Bill for a 3-4 DE. Hes possibly going to be there at 9. Rock solid player vs. the pass and run.

Theres a few more games I need to watch from him, but I like everything Ive seen thus far.
              Why waste a player like Morgan as a 3-4 DE? This guy has speed and great pass rush moves and belongs on the edge.

Morgan will play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE wherever he goes.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Agreed with Mahdi pointing him at 3-4 DE would be a huge mistake. Your wasting all the things he is good at doing.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Unlike Jauron, CHan is not married to a system and not married to a play not to lose philosophy.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    Agreed with Mahdi pointing him at 3-4 DE would be a huge mistake. Your wasting all the things he is good at doing.
                    People tend to forget that Bruce Smith wasn't the prototypical 3-4 DE. As you're right Morgan's an ideal 4-3 DE yet because he's a bit bigger (listed at 270) people think he'd be a good DE in the 3-4. Whereas the reality a good DE in the 3-4 would be someone like Ryan Denney.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                      People tend to forget that Bruce Smith wasn't the prototypical 3-4 DE. As you're right Morgan's an ideal 4-3 DE yet because he's a bit bigger (listed at 270) people think he'd be a good DE in the 3-4. Whereas the reality a good DE in the 3-4 would be someone like Ryan Denney.
                      That was 20 years ago when OL players were smaller and Bruce Smith was an exception. And towards the end of his career when the NFL was getting bigger he played in a 4-3.

To play the 5-technique these days you have to be in and around 300 pounds and ideally 6'4 or taller.

Also, Ryan Denney would get blasted as a 3-4 DE. He is wayyy too light and not very powerful.

Denney played his last game as a Bill already.
                      Last edited by Mahdi; 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...1-03a8bc15f132

He is one of my favorite "under the radar" choices for our 1st pick, Morgan is a baller, which we could use more of on this football team.

Comment

• realdealryan
                          realdealrex
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                          That was 20 years ago when OL players were smaller and Bruce Smith was an exception. And towards the end of his career when the NFL was getting bigger he played in a 4-3.

To play the 5-technique these days you have to be in and around 300 pounds and ideally 6'4 or taller.

Also, Ryan Denney would get blasted as a 3-4 DE. He is wayyy too light and not very powerful.

Denney played his last game as a Bill already.
                          Might as well let Denney play tight end. I think he's had more receiving touchdowns than any of ours in the past 5 years.

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            Why waste a player like Morgan as a 3-4 DE? This guy has speed and great pass rush moves and belongs on the edge.

Morgan will play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE wherever he goes.
                            You want to move a 6' 4" 268-272 pound DE to OLB?

I'm missing why.

If he wasnt strong enough to get push, OK. But he is.

If he was a liability against the run, OK. But he isn't.

I can see moving undersized DE's with good speed and moves to OLB, but that's not Derrick Morgan's mold.
                            Last edited by X-Era; 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

You want to move a 6' 4" 268-272 pound DE to OLB?

I'm missing why.

If he wasnt strong enough to get push, OK. But he is.

If he was a liability against the run, OK. But he isn't.

I can see moving undersized DE's with good speed and moves to OLB, but that's not Derrick Morgan's mold.
                              Morgan is a pass rusher, that's the point, and if you put him at DE as a 5-technique he becomes just a guy to absorb blocks and THAT is not his game.

BTW, Shawn Merriman is 6'4 272, pass rushers are pass rushers whether they are 6'4 270 or 6'1 245.

Morgan belongs on the edge.
                              Last edited by X-Era; 01-21-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X