PDA

View Full Version : Gailey's Quarterback.

The King
01-21-2010, 07:42 AM
I haven't commented on the Chan Gailey hiring yet. I gave it some time to settle in and try and make sense of it. I really think this move is about winning now, Nix knows the Bills fans are not going to be patient, so he brought in a coach that gives us the best chance to win games with our current roster. What does this mean?

Gailey and Nix are going to bring in a QB that can create time and move in the pocket, I think this can only be one of two guys.... Tebow or McNabb.

Gailey has had success with a rollout style passing attack, it will help give us time to finish rebuilding our line, it's an offense that can be put in place with minimal roster moves... basically plug in a QB and bring in one or two more possession type receivers (with Parrish and Owens gone this is a must anyway). Jackson provides a great screen option, I think when healthy we have the TE's to be able to work with this type of play calling.

I think Gailey is young enough and smart enough that he isn't going to be stubborn is his style of football it will grow and adapt with this team, and that's what Nix was looking for. A guy like Billick would probably want to clean house and do things his way, setting us back even further... The Gailey hire, was an attempt to avoid that.

All and all, I am on board. Go get em' Chan.

***Does anyone think that maybe just for a second Ralph Wilson thought he was signing Champ Bailey?****

ZAZusmc03
01-21-2010, 07:46 AM
***Does anyone think that maybe just for a second Ralph Wilson thought he was signing Champ Bailey?****

Absolutely hilarious.

On another note, I believe you are correct. The best things you here about Chan are that he adapts his offense to the strengths of his roster and not the other way around like many coaches try to do. I can see us going after a mobile QB in FA or the draft. I personally would love to see mcnabb back in ny.

Luisito23
01-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Trade for McNabb, and draft Tebow with the 2nd. pick!!!

Thief
01-21-2010, 07:50 AM
I really think they are targeting Tebow. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Luisito23
01-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Think of Flutie, but 100x's better!

The King
01-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Im not sure how I feel either... he's a smart kid, and I do think he will embrace the city. But I'm not thrilled.

Tatonka
01-21-2010, 07:53 AM
aside from all the negative things said about tebow.. i like him.

i also like mcnabb.

i also think you have to mention mike vick in that conversation, if your looking at mobile qbs.

The King
01-21-2010, 07:54 AM
aside from all the negative things said about tebow.. i like him.

i also like mcnabb.

i also think you have to mention mike vick in that conversation, if your looking at mobile qbs.I think that would be too much of a slap in the face. I dont think Vick is an option.

Dujek
01-21-2010, 07:56 AM
I asked the question about Tebow before in another thread.

I'm not sure that Tebow coming here would be best for the Bills, but it could work out that way. I really do think, however, that Tebow's best chance of developing into an NFL QB is with a coach like Chan Gailey who is willing to adapt the entire offense to suit the players he's got, and isn't afraid to go to a college style offense if he thinks it's the best fit for his players.

RockStar36
01-21-2010, 07:57 AM
I think that would be too much of a slap in the face. I dont think Vick is an option.

Vick is definitely an option.

The option in his contract is around 5 million. Do you think the Eagles are going to pay that for a player who comes into the game for about 5 or 6 plays and barely contributes? I don't.

Buffalo already flirted with Vick. Philly did them a favor by taking him for a season and getting him back into the swing of playing football.

Vick is my best guess, although I can easily see them drafting Tebow now too.

ZAZusmc03
01-21-2010, 07:57 AM
I am a die-hard Gators fan as well as the Bills, and I really believe Tebow is a born leader. But watching every one of his games since he has been in college....his mechanics realllly worry me. But with that being said, His size and mobility makes me think he could be great for us, much like a Roethlisburger in the way he gets out of bad situations using his size.

Luisito23
01-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I think Vick ending up in Buffalo next season is somewhere at 60-70% right now.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Just say no to Tebow and Vick.

Please.

tampabay25690
01-21-2010, 08:13 AM
I think Trent may fit his role and I think having Trent sit out the majority of last year with injury has helped him...

I guess we will see, but I think the Bills will draft a QB at some point as well...

elltrain22
01-21-2010, 08:28 AM
whoever that QB is, he's got alot of pressure going into next season. I'd love to see our next qb be either McNabb or Kolb, but I highly doubt that'll happen. I just don't know about Tebow. Great kid, but just don't know if his arm is NFL quality, but I hope I'm wrong.

Jan Reimers
01-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Gailey inherited - and made the best of - QBs like Tomczak, Stewart, Fiedler and a fading Aikman. That doesn't mean he would purposely choose a guy with their limitations.

The King
01-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Gailey inherited - and made the best of - QBs like Tomczak, Stewart, Fiedler and a fading Aikman. That doesn't mean he would purposely choose a guy with their limitations.I agree. But with this offensive line... I think he needs a guy that can buy time in the pocket. That was my point.

Mahdi
01-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I think that would be too much of a slap in the face. I dont think Vick is an option.
At the end of the day if Gailey thinks Vick will put up Ws he will bring in Vick no matter what.

And if Vick does put up Ws, fans will come around and embrace the idea very quickly.

Throne Logic
01-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree. But with this offensive line... I think he needs a guy that can buy time in the pocket. That was my point.

I expect the offensive line to show a dramatic improvement going into next season. There is a decent talent pool on the roster right now. If Chan can come up with the right combination, it might not take too much to create a young solid unit. The only real huge question is at the LT position. Does Chan feel that a capable LT is already on the roster? Or will that be a focus during FA or the draft?

Anyhow. I don't believe they have get a QB who runs around like a loony trying to make a play out of nothing every down. I'd much rather they spend all their off-season efforts on the OL and then plunk Trent or Brohm behind it.

Ickybaluky
01-21-2010, 09:51 AM
The biggest problem with Tebow is he is a project. He definitely has a lot going for him in terms of leadership, athletic ability and arm strength.

However, he has two huge issues which make him a risk:

1) He has a long, slow Byron-Leftwich-Like release which is going to be a big problem in the NFL and will require his throwing motion be completely re-done.

2) He will have to adapt to progression reads in an NFL offense.

NFL QB play is all about getting the ball out quickly and accurately. Tebow's athleticism and leadership may have made him one of the best college players of all-time, but he has a long way to go before he can be an NFL QB.

I"m not sure if he can or can't play QB in the NFL, but he is definitely a project.

justasportsfan
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Gailey was hired IMO with creating a franchise qb in mind. We haven't had one since Kelly left and we hadn't had a HC that knew how to groom one.

If what Shotty said about Nix is true, I think we're on our way to being better than 7-9 but it won't be for a couple of years from now since both Nix and Gailey like building through the draft.

If Gailey wants to shorten the time, he better bring in a PROVEN DC . Would've loved Nolan but too late now.

DraftBoy
01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Please god just stop with these stupid Tim Tebow ideas, first he's not even worth a 2nd Round pick, second his stock will fall even further after Super Bowl Sunday (if you dont know what Im talking about you will soon enough, just watch his commercial), and lastly I dont see any way he will be an NFL QB at this point.

Forward_Lateral
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Maybe if the Bills draft a QB in every round, they'll get a good one?

TheBrownBear
01-21-2010, 11:27 AM

What makes you think that?

TheBrownBear
01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Please please please no Tebow. If you want to get a sense of what he'd look like in the NFL, go back and watch the Alabama game.

DraftBoy
01-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Maybe if the Bills draft a QB in every round, they'll get a good one?

Sadly I doubt it.

:sadwalk:

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
The very highest I would pick Tebow is the third. There are talented players that we could have in the first and second we could plug in and have start right away at need positions.

I would hate the Tebow pick just because he is an enigma for the professional level. There is a chance he could be a great leader and maybe change the game of football. Or he could flop and set a franchise back 5 years.

He is not the prototype QB for the NFL.

That being said, if we absolutely have to pick him. Do it later in the draft. Address LT and DT first please!

Bill Cody
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Please please please no Tebow. If you want to get a sense of what he'd look like in the NFL, go back and watch the Alabama game.

You mean if you take away the QB draw and force him to actually read a defense and throw the ball he sucks? And that the NFL is a whole lot better competition than Alabama? And that his ridiculous arm motion would be open season for enough strip sack fumbles to make Losman blush? And if he was the QB here everyone around here would be praying to Jesus but not for the reason he is? Is that about it?:boom:

Ickybaluky
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't think he should, but Tebow will go in the first round, IMO. There are enough people in love with his intangibles, which are off the charts, that he will be over-valued by someone.

I could see Jacksonville taking him at #11. They can't sell tickets at all, but he is a local hero there. No matter whether he can play or not, Tebow would sell tickets for them.

DraftBoy
01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't think he should, but Tebow will go in the first round, IMO. There are enough people in love with his intangibles, which are off the charts, that he will be over-valued by someone.

I could see Jacksonville taking him at #11. They can't sell tickets at all, but he is a local hero there. No matter whether he can play or not, Tebow would sell tickets for them.

I cant see any situation where Tebow goes in Round 1 right now. It would franchise suicide essentially.

I get the Jacksonville scenario, but they are willing to risk winning and everything and set their franchise further back to sell a few tickets essentially. Winning will bring the fans back faster than drafting a novelty will.

That all being said I can never say never in regards to the draft.

sdbillsfan2
01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I am a die-hard Gators fan as well as the Bills, and I really believe Tebow is a born leader. But watching every one of his games since he has been in college....his mechanics realllly worry me. But with that being said, His size and mobility makes me think he could be great for us, much like a Roethlisburger in the way he gets out of bad situations using his size.
The so called experts said Rivers had bad mechanics as well and look how his career is going. How's his arm strength and how well can he play in B-lo weather is my concern and how mentally strong is he? I know he's an emotion player. We don't need a basket case for a qb . Just asking not criticizing.

DraftBoy
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
The so called experts said Rivers had bad mechanics as well and look how his career is going. How's his arm strength and how well can he play in B-lo weather is my concern and how mentally strong is he? I know he's an emotion player. We don't need a basket case for a qb . Just asking not criticizing.

Rivers was more 3/4 release point than anything. Tebow's issue is his forever long windup throwing motion. That has to be adjusted.

ZAZusmc03
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
The so called experts said Rivers had bad mechanics as well and look how his career is going. How's his are strength and how well can he play in B-lo weather is my concern and how mentally strong is he? I know he's an emotion player. We don't need a basket case for a qb . Just asking not criticizing.

Wasn't Rivers criticized for his side arm release? The mechanics that worry me most is the long, drawn out release that Tebow has. He winds up by bringing the ball down behind him to about waste level, then brings it back up on the release. Its extremely slow and leaves him very vulnerable to strip sacks. He does have good arm strength, contrary to popular belief, but his wind up/release will have to be seriously reworked before he is given a chance to even step on the field as a QB. And with weather being a concern, he was born and raised in Florida, never really played any cold weather games. So that is also a big ? for him.

TheBrownBear
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

No way. Why would they waste a first-rounder on him when he'll be there for them in the second?

Ingtar33
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM

Excuse me but this is extremely ill informed and inaccurate.

Rivers was criticized for a 3/4 delivery. but everyone acknowledged he had a fast release. this is NOTHING like Tebow's delivery. hell River's delivery is pretty much identical to Drew Bledsoe's. As problems with mechanics go you can have far worse problems the a 3/4 motion. Especially if you're 6'5"

Tebow has horrible mechanics. He drops the ball down to his knee for christ sakes, like a baseball pitcher. It takes him about as long as a baseball pitcher to release the ball as well. That won't fly in the NFL. Period.

Byron Leftwich's release is about as slow as you can get and be an NFL Quarterback. Tebow's is much slower then Leftwich's. that's a big problem. not a small one.

Ickybaluky
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
No way. Why would they waste a first-rounder on him when he'll be there for them in the second?

There are a lot of people that really like Tebow as a QB, including some guys who really know QBs. Phil Simms said he feels Tebow can play QB in the NFL, he just needs time to develop. Jon Gruden has some serious man-love for Tebow. There are others.

I could see some team drafting him in the first, easily. I mean, Pat White was a 2nd, right? Tebow would be terrific running a wildcat-type offense, so a team might look on it as he could contribute right away with a package of plays while he learns to play QB in the NFL. The kid is a winner, and his leadership ability and work ethic can't be denied. He has things going for him. Rating him as a raw prospect, he is definitely not a first, but there is a lot more that goes into it than that.

As for Jacksonville, it can't be overstated how popular he is with people there. He grew up in that area and led Florida to great success. I've seen grown men cry when talking about him, and if the Jags took him it could possible save their franchise. It would not shock me at all.

Besides, if he doesn't make it as a QB, which wouldn't surprise me, he could probably play TE.

ct bills fan
01-21-2010, 01:12 PM

I doubt Buffalo is targeting anybody as of yet. They still have to fill out the coaching staff. As for Tebow, he has all the intangibles, but a lot depends on how he performs at the Senior Bowl and combine. If he performs very well, he could end up being a first round pick, but doubtful as high as #9. I'd love for Buffalo to trade its 2nd and 3rd and get back into the late 1st round and draft Tebow. He'd be a guy that would be easy to root for.

madness
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Nix on Tebow from 97rock.com

"He is almost too good to be true"

"Ive seen some stars fall before but I don't think he will"

"He has been told a lot of times that he can't do it, and he has proved every time that they are wrong. I believe he can and i think he will"

"He is going to make any team he goes to better. He is going to make the people around him better. He demands that. Your embarrassed to let him down."

bflojohn
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
If Tim Tebow is serious about playing QB in the NFL, there are numerous coaches out and about who could work on his mechanics right now and have him ready for April (private workouts). Frankly everyone makes it seem that his delivery is set in stone, I don't believe it is, and with his "off the charts" intangibles, he will find a way to clean all of this up. If he does, he's legit as a fairly high draft pick. Coaching with him is the key, IMO!!
Note: Do not discount the "face of the franchise" moniker IF he does make it as a bonified signal caller, THAT aspect is huge, in my estimation!!

DraftBoy
01-22-2010, 07:32 AM
There are a lot of people that really like Tebow as a QB, including some guys who really know QBs. Phil Simms said he feels Tebow can play QB in the NFL, he just needs time to develop. Jon Gruden has some serious man-love for Tebow. There are others.

I could see some team drafting him in the first, easily. I mean, Pat White was a 2nd, right? Tebow would be terrific running a wildcat-type offense, so a team might look on it as he could contribute right away with a package of plays while he learns to play QB in the NFL. The kid is a winner, and his leadership ability and work ethic can't be denied. He has things going for him. Rating him as a raw prospect, he is definitely not a first, but there is a lot more that goes into it than that.

As for Jacksonville, it can't be overstated how popular he is with people there. He grew up in that area and led Florida to great success. I've seen grown men cry when talking about him, and if the Jags took him it could possible save their franchise. It would not shock me at all.

Besides, if he doesn't make it as a QB, which wouldn't surprise me, he could probably play TE.

He told Mel Kiper last year on ESPN Radio that he will only play QB in the NFL and not switch positions. Whether he sticks to it or not is one thing.

better days
01-22-2010, 07:42 AM
He told Mel Kiper last year on ESPN Radio that he will only play QB in the NFL and not switch positions. Whether he sticks to it or not is one thing.

What he has said is he will not switch positions until it is proven to him that he can't play QB in the NFL. In other words if his haters are right & he can't make it as a QB he will switch positions but he wants an opportunity to prove his haters wrong.

Cntrygal
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM

:rofl:

DraftBoy
01-22-2010, 10:55 AM
What he has said is he will not switch positions until it is proven to him that he can't play QB in the NFL. In other words if his haters are right & he can't make it as a QB he will switch positions but he wants an opportunity to prove his haters wrong.

He won't switch even then. He'll leave the NFL first and do missionary work more than likely. He'll have more money than he could spend and Im sure he'll do great things with it. Then he'll run for Congress or Governor. As for Tim Tebow the NFL player, I dont think it lasts more than 7 years.

Dr. Lecter
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
He won't switch even then. He'll leave the NFL first and do missionary work more than likely. He'll have more money than he could spend and Im sure he'll do great things with it. Then he'll run for Congress or Governor. As for Tim Tebow the NFL player, I dont think it lasts more than 7 years.

He's more likely to run for God.

And win.

DraftBoy
01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
He's more likely to run for God.

And win.

This is true. Heaven is going to be filled with Budweiser and Jorts when that happens and all Gator fans are guaranteed acess...damn its going to be ugly.