X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buffalo1983
    • Mar 2009

Marty Speaks

REPORTER: How interested were you in coaching in Buffalo?
    MARTY: Well, I wasn't certain, quite frankly, that I was interested in coaching, but Buddy Nix has been an associate of mine for a number of years. And Buddy in my opinion is one of the best personnel people I've ever been around. So, with that in mind, we had some discussions, but to suggest that I was ever a candidate would not be accurate... My discussions about it were really driven by the fact that I have such a high regard for Buddy Nix.

REPORTER: Did Buddy reach out to you?
    MARTY: No. Buddy and I, having been together in San Diego for an extended period of time, are good friends, and, you know, we had some discussions about (my son) Brian Schottenheimer, and all. But, there was never a point in time that this was something that I was absolutely excited about doing, to be candid with you.
    Schottenheimer briefly discussed the report that Wilson was not interested in him. We asked him if it was true.
    "Not in my sense of it. No, I don't think so," Schottenheimer said.

REPORTER: Were you disappointed at all that there didn't seem to be a massive level of interest from the Bills in bringing you in?
    MARTY: No, because I never considered myself a candidate. No, I didn't have any disappointment at all, because I was never a candidate in my view... My discussions, as they unfolded, were very preliminary and never got beyond that point. There was never any point in time in my opinion that I was committed to doing.

• tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Re: Marty Speaks

Well glad thats out........
    Chan is our guy and Im on board, Lets see what he can do...

I now we wont have a soft traning camp anymore...
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• T-Long
      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
      • Sep 2003

Finally. Now all the people here *****ing about Marty can finally shut up.

Get on board people, what other choice is there? If you hate the hire, then don't buy tickets or merchandise. For those that can accept the hire, then hop on board the CHAN GANG...plenty of room still available!

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
        • Apr 2005

still sounds like he could have been convinced....

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by T-Long
          i have been one of the biggest people "*****ing" since it was "reported" that marty wanted the job....if you werent the slightest bit bothered (if that report were true) that we didnt get marty after he supposedly wanted the job, you need to check your head.....
          Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Marty wasn't a candidate because Wilson didnt care for him, period.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
              still sounds like he could have been convinced....
              Agreed. Translation: "If they showed they wanted me and offered me some money I would have been headed to Western NY. But Buddy never did that. He seemed more interested in my kid. What's that about"?

Comment

• Buckets
                • Jun 2003

Another fine job by the "sources" quoted in previous threads.

Comment

• M
                  • Aug 2006

But, there was never a point in time that this was something that I was absolutely excited about doing, to be candid with you.
                  That doesn't really sound like a HC that I would want.
                  Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Finally the truth.

Not some made up gay "TWWWWEEET" from some idiot.

Comment

• T-Long
                      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                      • Sep 2003

I'm sick of hearing about all these coaches that we have to CONVINCE to come to Buffalo. You shouldn't have to beg people to come be a head coach for an NFL team. THere are only 32 of those jobs in the whole world. It's a joke that you have to beg people...I'd rather have a guy who WANTS the job then a guy only coming for the money and wants nothing to do with the city...and I'm not even from Buffalo.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                        • Apr 2005

I'm sick of hearing about all these coaches that we have to CONVINCE to come to Buffalo. You shouldn't have to beg people to come be a head coach for an NFL team. THere are only 32 of those jobs in the whole world. It's a joke that you have to beg people...I'd rather have a guy who WANTS the job then a guy only coming for the money and wants nothing to do with the city...and I'm not even from Buffalo.
                        we have set up almost every coach thats come in here for failure...it takes a hellava presentation to explain why this is a good situation for a coach to come into

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          Marty wasn't a candidate because Wilson didnt care for him, period.
                          OR because Marty didn't want to coach.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                            • Mar 2004

Get on board people, what other choice is there? If you hate the hire, then don't buy tickets or merchandise. For those that can accept the hire, then hop on board the CHAN GANG...plenty of room still available!
                            Yeah, except Marty is just doing a bit of damage control for his good friend Nix. He won't even come right out and say "I did NOT want to coach" he's totally dancing around the questions and dismissing the claims. But it seems very half hearted.

I'm betting he did really want the job and told Nix as much. But Wilson Vetoe'd it, and now Marty is saying he didn't want the job to take some rpessure off his good friend who is under fire.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                              • Apr 2005

i dont know man, it says he didnt consider himself a candidate....basically buffalo didnt consider him seriously....if he didnt want it, he would have just come out and said something of the sort of "i made it clear i will not be coaching, and i do not want the job".....im not getting that from this interview

Comment

Working...
                              X