PDA

View Full Version : What are some realistic expectations you have for Chan Gailey in year one?

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
First on my list is improvement on offense.

But, I think realistically, New England is on the decline as witnessed this season and we should have enough film on them beating us that maybe a coach like Gailey can finally come up with a gameplan to win against them.

So I think its time we finally beat New England. At least once.

What are some realistic hopes and expectations you have for this season?

Jaybird
01-21-2010, 12:06 PM
winning record within the division

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 12:07 PM
winning record within the division

I agree. Something like 4-2. 3-3 is acceptable.

TheBrownBear
01-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Offensive improvement. Good game management. Between 7 and 9 wins (assuming we don't gut the entire roster).

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Getting Maybin on the field

Jan Reimers
01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
An 8-8 record. I think he's a better coach than Jauron, and with some key guys coming back from injuries, better utilization of a number of our young players, and a good draft, I think it's entirely possible.

Cntrygal
01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
A competitive game.

ZAZusmc03
01-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I think 3-3 or 4-2 in the division is a respectable expectation.

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
8-8 sounds about right for the first season. we had a lot of injuries to a lot of starters, yet we still won 6 games. I say the o-line needs to be healthy and we NEED McGee and McKelvin back.

madness
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
For me, record has no bearing at this point. We need to set a strong foundation to build upon for the future.

This team has had no identity up to this point. I expect to see a tough, determined team that sticks to fundamentals and doesn't quit at the slightest sign of adversity. I certainly don't expect this team to be able to do it every minute of every game but I do expect to see the beginning of a team that imposes its will on offense AND defense at the necessary times.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
2-14 record

Maybe 4-12 with some breaks. This is a bad, bad, bad football team.

Mr. Pink
01-21-2010, 12:49 PM
A complete roster overhaul....a true rebuilding....the organization to realize we are so far away from the better teams in this league that signing 1 or 2 flashy guys isn't gonna get it done.

If you want record wise...4-12

Beebe's Kid
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Bills have the 5th youngest roster in the NFL. Players have not been developed for 4 years... a little player development will go a long way. Then maybe all of the "this team is horrible" crap will stop for once. We went 6-10 with a coaching staff that was one step above below not having a coach at all.

10 wins. WC. One win against each division opponent.

Mad Bomber
01-21-2010, 12:56 PM
8 wins

An offense that's ranked higher than 25th

A "play to win" attitude, as opposed to DJ's "play not to lose"

Mahdi
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM

But, I think realistically, New England is on the decline as witnessed this season and we should have enough film on them beating us that maybe a coach like Gailey can finally come up with a gameplan to win against them.

Impossible to guess without seeing the offseason unfold. Vick or McNabb for example change everything.

Trent Edwards = 5-11

Griff
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
9-7, top 20 offense, 3-3 division.

Jeff1220
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Meaningful games in December.

bigbub2352
01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
A team that plays physical
A team that isnt on IR
A team that plays with passion and actually cares about winning
A team that is competitive and doesnt play up to the team they are playing
A winning attitude

How about a huuuuuuge attitude adjustment, and the beginings of a QB development

thats all.....

Italian Stallion
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Playing in the playoffs and winning a super bowl. this should be what everyone is saying. Anything less than this is just an admittance of acceptance of mediocrity.

I don't care if it doesn't seem do able with this "terrible" roster. Enough excuses get the god damn thing done.

Jan Reimers
01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
We won 6 games with Jauron/Fewell, 21 guys on IR, and Edwards/FitzBrohm at QB. We can certainly win 2 more with a better coach, a healthier roster and a (hopefully) good draft.

But QB is the key. The Edwards/Fitz/Brohm triumverate does not exactly inspire confidence.

Buddo
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Too early to know imho. Until we have a real idea of which way we are going with the D, I don't think you can make any realistic goals. 3-4 switch will almost immediately reduce expectations.

ddaryl
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
I expect the new coach to improve this team some in every single category, and that what I realistically expected before the Bills hired Gailey. I expect 2010 to end with us competing for a playoff spot

It didn't matter who took the job, that is my expectation. Some improvement across the board.

PECKERWOOD
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
A 3-3 record within the division would make me happy, along with say an 8-8 record.

Mahdi
01-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Too early to know imho. Until we have a real idea of which way we are going with the D, I don't think you can make any realistic goals. 3-4 switch will almost immediately reduce expectations.
3-4 switch would increase my expectations. Believe it or not, we might actually be more suited at this point to run a 3-4 than a 4-3.

Ingtar33
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
what would make me happy?

10 wins. he should be able to get 10 wins with a little luck, great coaching and a good off season.

If he can't do that he'll never get us over the hump and into the playoffs.

Saratoga Slim
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
We went 6-10 with a coaching staff that was one step above below not having a coach at all.

Yeah, I agree with that in part.

I'd like to see who we hire as DC before I set any real expectations. I'm pretty confident that our offense will improve. The question is whether our defense under a new guy/new scheme regresses and thereby cancels any offensive gain, or whether it can at minimum play at a level similar to last year. B/c you've got to admit, there were a bunch of games last year that we could have won if our offense could have done anything at all--the defense did an OK job of keeping the score manageable most of the time.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2010, 01:38 PM
what would make me happy?

10 wins. he should be able to get 10 wins with a little luck, great coaching and a good off season.

If he can't do that he'll never get us over the hump and into the playoffs.

How does a team that has 15-20 (at most) NFL caliber players get to ten wins?????

Not to mention we have no staff yet and have a guy that has not been a NFL head coach for ten years.

The Bills might have the first pick in the 2011 draft, if it exists.

Mr. Pink
01-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Ok, I thought this thread read "realistic expectations" not "delusions of grandeur."

Griff
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Playing in the playoffs and winning a super bowl. this should be what everyone is saying. Anything less than this is just an admittance of acceptance of mediocrity.

I don't care if it doesn't seem do able with this "terrible" roster. Enough excuses get the god damn thing done.

realistic expectations

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I disagree. I think we are an offensive line and a QB away from competing in this league. Fix our run defense woes and look out.

Griff
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I agree with that in part.

I'd like to see who we hire as DC before I set any real expectations. I'm pretty confident that our offense will improve. The question is whether our defense under a new guy/new scheme regresses and thereby cancels any offensive gain, or whether it can at minimum play at a level similar to last year. B/c you've got to admit, there were a bunch of games last year that we could have won if our offense could have done anything at all--the defense did an OK job of keeping the score manageable most of the time.

heck Jarius won us back to back games.

Demon
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
8-8 would be ok with me as a successful season as long as he beats New England. We beat NE, i will be one happy guy! I don't even care that their on their downward spiral.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2010, 01:50 PM
I disagree. I think we are an offensive line and a QB away from competing in this league. Fix our run defense woes and look out.

OK,one moment here.

First you say the team is a QB and O-line away from competing (I'll disagree on that part in a minute). But then you say they need to fix the run defense too. Which is it? QB and O-line? Or QB, O-Line and run defense?

As to only being QB and O-line away even if it is only those two positions, they are not easy to fix in one year. They need at least on tackle and that is a LT (And that assumes Bell is ready to play RT which his knee might not be
ready)

I also see many other holes on the team.

1. WR - Who is #2? #3?
2. TE - Will Nelson develop?
3. LB - there is one starting LB on this roster in Poz. If they go to a 3-4, they need 3 starters and depth.
4. D-Line - Again, if they go to a 4-3 they have three DEs (Spencer Johnson, Kyle Williams and Stroud). They have no NTs.
5. Back-up RB - I love Fred Jackson, but I now assume Lynch will get suspended for being stupid.

And we are trusting a new FO to fill these holes? In one season?

No way.

Martian13
01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
To win!!!!! :jam:

Mr. Pink
01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
How does anyone realistically expect a team that needs...

QB, LT, one or two WRs, DT, DE, LBers in one offseason to become a playoff team?

And that's not touching on we could use a TE to emerge, a better center, a better MLB than POS, a better number 1 corner, a Safety to play opposite Byrd.

How does anything on this roster now say we're anywhere near a playoff team?

shelby
01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
It's almost as if you have to have selective amnesia to be a Bills fan.

There are a few bright spots on our team, but if you look at the big picture, this is not an 8-8 team next season; i don't care who the new coaching staff is.

There is a ton of work to be done here.

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I said compete. Meaning 8-8 and some good wins. Not Super Bowl or even playoffs. If you dont think last season we could have won two more games with an offensive line and a QB then I can't help you.

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 03:06 PM
My last post came off rude. I didn't mean it to be.

trapezeus
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
i'd be ok with a CBA getting signed during the year, the bills going sub .500 but getting a real line together that can run in the winter....then i get excited about 2011 and finding that QB that can put it all together.

The defense, i worry about. They weren't particularly good as a 4-3 unit, but held tough until the late 3rd early 4th. Keeping it probably isn't a good idea, but gutting it might not be good either. They really are at a cross roads. i think committing to 4-3 and getting players in the draft would be a gamble that might be worth taking.

Switching to 3-4 with who we have, it may take longer. especially since we are missing the front 3. none of what we have works. And the LB's have to be shifted and we're still missing a big playmaking LB.

SABuffalo786
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
2-14 record

Maybe 4-12 with some breaks. This is a bad, bad, bad football team.

That's what people said at the begining of this season.

We fired our coach mid-season and had another record setting IR year and yet still managed to eek out 6 wins without any stability on the O-Line or at QB.

The talent's there, flesh out the lines and I wouldn't be shocked if we sneak in with a Wild Card next year - I hate when people go hyperbole crazy

justasportsfan
01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
8-8

tampabay25690
01-21-2010, 03:43 PM
A team with more emotion.............
A team that will work hard in Training camp.....Jauron was to soft.....
Win some games and all the bad talk goes away.......
Just win

Night Train
01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I will not predict any record, since we have zero clue about the staff, what schemes we'll run, plus the player off-season hasn't even started yet ! :rofl:

Our roster may turn over between 20-35% from now until training camp.

Expectations ? - I hope a 3-4 D with an attacking Front 7. The Secondary has incredible depth. Must add another DT/NT and LB.

On Offense, we should draft a LT and aquire a Vet QB by trade or FA. That's a must. Sign a Vet WR but let Hardy and Steve Johnson get lots of reps with Evans. The athletic Nelson should be the clear choice at TE.

With Nix running the draft , I know we'll draft in the right areas of need.

djjimkelly
01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
one thing i expect is a team that actually has a direction.

the bills for many years have had none. i am positive he will have a distinct direction that we will all be able to see clearly by the end of year one.

i could honestly care less about the record of this team next year as i do not believe this roster has much on it

Cntrygal
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
The 2010 predictions game should be fun. :biggrin:

Philagape
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
The talent will determine the record more than the coach will. A serious influx is needed to get past the 6-7 win era.
But it is a valid point that the team can get that many wins even though it had the glaring holes that still needed to be addressed. Yes, the Bills need a QB, LT, WR, DT, LB, etc .... but they needed all those last year too.
(TO didn't make much of a difference because with the QBing and pass protection as bad as they were, who cares who the WRs were?)
Even with so many holes, there's still enough talent to beat the truly pathetic teams they get every year and steal a win from a superior team.

SABURZFAN
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM

improve the offense. i'm not expecting a top 10 offense but moving the chains is what really hurt the Bills. if they can move the chains, the points will add up on the scoreboard and decrease points scored on the defense.

bluerosekiller
01-21-2010, 07:21 PM
If you take into account the debacle that was our coaching situation, the ridiculous amount of injuries & the totally unstable state of the QB position, it was a helluva over-achievement for them to go 6-10. Most other teams in that sorry state would've gone 1-15, 2-14, 3-13 TOPS. But the Bills went a 6-10 that could have been an 8-8 season with a break or two.

So, an 8-8, 9-7 record should almost be expected & a 10-6 finish & a wild card berth well within their reach with a LOT of hard work & a wee bit of luck IMHO.

Dozerdog
01-21-2010, 07:25 PM
6-10, maybe 7-9

Draft 11th or 12th

It's like groundhog day

bflojohn
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
O.K., expectations! First and foremost, weed out the dead weight on this roster. Don't kid yourself, there are LOSERS on this team that need to pack their collective bags. The film doesn't lie and Buddy Nix will know who played hard and who "mailed it in". Next, free agency is upon us in March, one key addition would be fine with me because suddenly, I have a sense of competance in the front office. Plug in some 2nd and/or 3rd tier players through free agency to help fill the holes. The draft will be a major step in the right direction, and the Bills need to add to a pretty healthy draft class in 2009. Target the most important position on the field, QB, and find a signal caller who can take this team to heights its NOT seen in a decade! Trade, draft, I don't care, find him even if he's presently on the current roster (Brohm). Training camp needs an edge to it, so the country club atmosphere needs to disappear. Wins and loses? I want attitude and toughness and dedication, purpose, and a team that is watching each others back 24-7!! I want a team of destiny, with a vision of what the future brings, and ultimately a CHAMPIONSHIP! IT CAN BE DONE!!!!! GO BILLS!!
P.S.- It's not too much to ask for, IMO.

realdealryan
01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/11-12-2009/North-Texas-Super-Bowl.jpg?