PDA

View Full Version : Positive spin on the Gailey hiring

northernbillfan
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
This comes from an Oklahoma writer who actually has some great things to say about Gailey such as, "In NFL history, only two men have made the playoffs every year they’ve been head coaches, excluding current bosses John Harbaugh (two years), Rex Ryan (one) and Jim Caldwell (one). Those two men are Dutch Bergman, who in 1943 took over the Redskins for one year during the World War II drain of personnel, and Chan Gailey."

Those are some powerful words and a great stat for this franchise which desperately needs some post season play after this long drought.

More:

So tell me why everyone is all worked up over the Buffalo Bills hiring Gailey as their head coach. Gailey is not a retread. He’s not a guy who keeps getting chances. He was coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1998 and 1999; the year before Gailey arrived, Dallas went 6-10. The three years after Gailey left, the Cowboys went 5-11 every season. In Gailey’s two years, he had an aging Troy Aikman at quarterback; Aikman missed seven starts over those two years. Emmitt Smith remained an effective runner, but receiver Michael Irvin was at the end of his rope. Irvin’s final NFL season was ‘99; he had 10 catches and played in four games.

And yet Gailey went 10-6 and 8-8 in those two seasons, reaching the playoffs both years. Between 1996 and 2006, the Cowboys reached the playoffs three times. Twice under Gailey, once under Campo and Parcells combined.

Yet Gailey is seen as a retread. I don’t get it. Yes, he’s been fired twice since then; once after five seasons coaching Georgia Tech and again in August 2009, when Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley decided he wanted to run his own offense and removed Gailey as offensive coordinator.

But Gailey got back in the mix thanks to his old boss, Bill Cowher, who talked to Buffalo and told them if he put together a staff, Gailey would be his choice for offensive coordinator. Gailey coordinated Cowher’s Pittsburgh Steeler offenses in the 1990s. The Bills couldn’t talk Cowher into taking their job, so they turned to Gailey.

I have no idea if it will work. But to criticize the choice of a guy with a winning record as an NFL coach (18-16) and a guy who never missed the playoffs, well, that strikes me as odd. Who else were the Bills supposed to hire?

Full article from OK News (http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/01/21/chan-gailey-not-a-bad-hire-for-buffalo/?custom_click=lead_story_title)

Demon
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM
No idea how in the world you found an article from Oklahoma media, but great find. Thanks for sharing.

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Good ole' Berry. I have to give him a call. I wonder if he is still doing the local radio show.

ddaryl
01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Will the Bills give him the tools to turn it around

and who does he hire as a DC.

I'm not really down on Chan, I'm more upset with the FO for bringing the franchise to its knees and not doing whatever it takes to win championships.

10 straight years of craptastic football and horrible decision making doesn't leave much room for blind faith these days

northernbillfan
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM
No idea how in the world you found an article from Oklahoma media, but great find. Thanks for sharing.I update the front page on a regular basis and dig very, very deep for the articles we put up there.

Saratoga Slim
01-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Good read. Add this to the Texas article, and Midwestern Bills fans must be getting a lot more excited than those up here.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the guy can do.

northernbillfan
01-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Good read. Add this to the Texas article, and Midwestern Bills fans must be getting a lot more excited than those up here.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the guy can do.I've changed my mind to give him at least half a chance after reading these articles.

Dujek
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
And some lunatic optimist wrote this on his blog on the NFLUK site:

http://forum.nfluk.com/blog.php?b=1468

Oh wait, that was me...

Jan Reimers
01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
And some lunatic optimist wrote this on his blog on the NFLUK site:

http://forum.nfluk.com/blog.php?b=1468

Oh wait, that was me...
Good job on researching Gailey's career. I really liked your article.

Dujek
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Good job on researching Gailey's career. I really liked your article.

Wikipedia, the NCAA website and Pro-Football Reference are useful resources, I didn't really have to look too hard.

I just really like the fact that he has been both an OC and a DC (even if the last time he was a DC was almost 30 years ago), it gives him more perspective on what is needed on both sides of the ball.

Beebe's Kid
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I've changed my mind to give him at least half a chance after reading these articles.

I was warming up to this hire on Tues, then the press conference made me like it more, but these articles are great to see. Especially when the national media is dumping on us. These writers, sort of like the wise old sages of OK and TX are behind Chan, but all the Schefters, Schops, and Mike and Mikes are piling on him...

I want it to continue. Get Sully riled up, the whole gang. Chan and Nix probably wouldn't mind...gret motivational material.