• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferrygoat
    • Feb 2005

Coaches with ties to Gailey

Defensive coordinator
    Jim Bates – Coached his defense in Dallas, and with him in Miami on Wannstedt’s staff as DC. Recently relieved of DC duties in Tampa.

Dave Campo – DC under Gailey, replaced him as head coach, currently secondary coach in Dallas

Tim Lewis – was secondary coach with Steelers when Gailey was there – has been a DC for Steelers and Giants 2000-2006 – most recently DBs coach for Seahawks

John Mitchell – Steelers Asst. HC/D-line coach, was D-line coach when Gailey was there under Cowher, was a DC at LSU.

Jon Tenuta – Ran Gailey’s defense at Georgia Tech, long time college coach with 16 years of experience as a defensive coordinator.

Others available with no connection
    Ed Donatell – no connection, former coordinator (Atl, GB) currently secondary coach Denver.

Jim Mora Jr. – Former HC of Falcons and Seahawks, has been a DC as well.

Dave McGinnis – Former coordinator and HC (Ariz), currently Asst. head coach/LBs coach with Tennessee.

Defensive line
    Bob Sanders – former DC (GB) and was Bills D-line coach last season. Was LBs coach with Gailey in Miami under Wannstedt. Could also be defensive coordinator candidate as he was a DC for Green Bay.

Clarence Brooks – coached with Gailey in Miami under Wannstedt (D-line coach), currently D-line coach in Baltimore, so doubtful a lateral move would be made.

Offensive coordinator
    Pete Mangurian – coached with Gailey in Denver as TEs coach, was an OC for one year with Atlanta under Gailey’s former mentor Dan Reeves. Currently assistant in Tampa.

Special teams
    Joe Avezzano – special teams with Cowboys for years including two years under Gailey. A 3-time special teams coach of the year. Currently retired (67 yrs. old).

Joe DeCamillus – coached special teams in Denver when Gailey ran offense for Reeves – currently special teams coach in Dallas so would need additional title (like assistant head coach) to make it realistic.

QBs coach/Receivers coach
    Buddy Geis – coached under Gailey at Georgia Tech (receivers coach) and in Dallas (QBs coach).

LBs coach
    Dat Nguyen – played for Gailey as a rookie in Dallas. Currently asst. LBs coach in Dallas.
    Buffalo Bills: The official source of the latest Bills headlines, news, videos, photos, tickets, rosters, stats, schedule, and game day information
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Coaches with ties to Gailey

Bates, Campo and Tenuta look like frontrunners based on that.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
      Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
      • Jan 2010

which ones run a 34?

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
        which ones run a 34?

they all run 43, but Tenuta runs a wild blitzing defense that is more of a hybrid... often standing an end up giving the offense a 34 look with 43 personnel
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• SquishDaFish
          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
          • Jun 2005

I like Tenuta from what Ive read and seen on him.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            they all run 43, but Tenuta runs a wild blitzing defense that is more of a hybrid... often standing an end up giving the offense a 34 look with 43 personnel
            "Mmmm, that sounds good. I'll have that."

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I hope Sanders hasn't moved yet. I'd like to see him back in some capacity.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

How about McGinnis. He coached Arizona to their first playoff win ever, I believe, and was pretty popular w/his players.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

Bob Sanders is a legitimate candidate for the DC position, I wouldn't be upset if he we brought him back with a promotion.

Comment

• Patti120
                    • Aug 2004

How about Mora? I don't recall his defenses but he's also been a HC. thoughts?

Comment

• methos4ever
                      • Apr 2004

Here's a link on what Tenuta likes to do:

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patti120
                        How about Mora? I don't recall his defenses but he's also been a HC. thoughts?
                        PFT sees that (and Vick) as a possibility:

So why is Mora talking Vick up if he doesn't really believe what he's saying?

It could be that he's eyeballing a career in the media, and that he's commencing the Joey Sunshine/Jonny Gumdrops routine of never saying anything bad about anyone.

Or maybe Mora wants to be the Bills' next defensive coordinator.

Or maybe Mora is eyeballing a spot on the Philly coaching staff. After all, the Eagles are hoping to snooker someone into giving up more than they should for Vick, and Mora definitely would be helping the cause if he helps generate some genuine interest in Vick.
                        full article: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-tune-on-vick/

Comment

• Bulldog
                          Top Dog
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                          Bob Sanders is a legitimate candidate for the DC position, I wouldn't be upset if he we brought him back with a promotion.
                          Agreed. I really like Sanders as well.
                          I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Demon
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Carpetbagger
                            Bates, Campo and Tenuta look like frontrunners based on that.
                            I would think Bates and Campo are big names and Gailey already warned us we won't get any big names. He wants "teachers".
                            Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

There are even more coaches out there but I can't search for them all right now but one name saw Brown miss was Curtis Modkins. This guy has followed Gailey almost everywhere as been with him in Dallas, GT and even KC. He's currently the RB coach of the AZ Cardinals but wouldn't shock seeing him join us with Studesville gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X