PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Bates being interviewed for DC job

T-Long
01-21-2010, 07:02 PM
XX 1090 Radio with Lee''Hacksaw'' Hamilton in San Diego says the Bills are interviewing Jim Bates. He runs a 4-3...I think he was the guy who was coming with Sherman a few years back.

Michael82
01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't mind this hire, as long as he was willing to try a 3-4/4-3 hybrid

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 07:12 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I don't want him. He is set in his ways on his defense. Two down linemen to fill the space in the middle and free up the LBs (who are small and fast) and relies on the defensive ends to pressure the QB and let the secondary work it out.

Sound familiar!?

Dicknoze69
01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Sorry. I don't want him. He is set in his ways on his defense. Two down linemen to fill the space in the middle and free up the LBs (who are small and fast) and relies on the defensive ends to pressure the QB and let the secondary work it out.

Sound familiar!?

I don't want him either. He's very very rigid in his ways from what I've heard/read.

Michael82
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Sound familiar!?

He's not a Tampa2 guy!

T-Long
01-21-2010, 07:20 PM
He's not a Tampa2 guy!
He's not Tampa 2...but it is damn close. Doesn't anyone remember what Nix said at his PC? He said he wants a big tough defense to play in this climate...not undersized. So if Bates is brought in, there must be an agreement to alter it.

Michael82
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
He's not Tampa 2...but it is damn close. Doesn't anyone remember what Nix said at his PC? He said he wants a big tough defense to play in this climate...not undersized. So if Bates is brought in, there must be an agreement to alter it.

Maybe what Gailey is doing is interviewing several guys for the DC position, like teams do for head coach positions. He wants to get the best one. That would be fine with me. :up:

Prov401
01-21-2010, 07:25 PM
NO to Bates.

The guy is a rollercoaster. Did nothing with Denver, and nothing with Tampa. I mean, the guy was fired by Raheem Morris. Let's get real.

This would be a bad hire IMO.

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 07:28 PM
The only way I would like this is if we got a better pass rusher/ OLB/ a bigger DT to play next to Stroud.

I love Kyle Williams. He reminds me of me when I played. Small for the position, but works his ass off and produces.

I just think we need to get bigger and tougher. Especially on the line. It would help tremendously with our run defense.

BILLSROCK1212
01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
NO to Bates.

The guy is a rollercoaster. Did nothing with Denver, and nothing with Tampa. I mean, the guy was fired by Raheem Morris. Let's get real.

This would be a bad hire IMO.Well Gailey was fired by Haley, but lets get real here, we don't know the reason behind every fire.

Prov401
01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Well Gailey was fired by Haley, but lets get real here, we don't know the reason behind every fire.

Being fired because your doing a terrible job (Bates), is a tremendous difference than being fired because a young punk ass coach comes in and decides he wants to run his own offense, thus relieving him of his duties for that purpose (Gailey)...Let's get real here.

justasportsfan
01-21-2010, 07:36 PM
BAtes = Ted Cotrell . Bellicheat and the rest of the AFCE would love this move

The Spaz
01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goobylal
01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Who else is out there? Should they go with an assistant defensive coach who has never been a DC before?

Ingtar33
01-21-2010, 07:47 PM
dear god. no. please no.

PECKERWOOD
01-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Just promote Bob Sanders, he has been successful as a DC before.

Goobylal
01-21-2010, 07:51 PM
He got fired by the Packers after the 2008 season. However I'd keep him as DL coach.

Bulldog
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Promote Sanders and bring Reeves in to help run the offense. That would be a great start in my book. Don't understand why Sanders isn't getting any love.

Bulldog
01-21-2010, 07:55 PM
He got fired by the Packers after the 2008 season. However I'd keep him as DL coach.

Not that I watched a lot of Packers football when he was the DC there, but I read that GB's defense was decimated with injuries along the defensive line that year. I like what he did with Buffalo's D-Line this year and would't mind seeing him run the defense. What did his defense in GB look like the year prior to him being fired?

BillsWin
01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I think Bob Sanders is a great coach.

psubills62
01-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Not that I watched a lot of Packers football when he was the DC there, but I read that GB's defense was decimated with injuries along the defensive line that year. I like what he did with Buffalo's D-Line this year and would't mind seeing him run the defense. What did his defense in GB look like the year prior to him being fired?

They were definitely decimated by injuries. I think the LB's were hit hard too. I'm pretty sure that firing was a case of needing to blame someone, and Sanders wasn't necessarily to blame, imo. My wife's a Packers fan so I follow them a little more than I follow other teams.

DMBcrew36
01-21-2010, 08:02 PM

There doesn't necessarily need to be agreement. What Nix says in a press conference to sound good to skeptical fans, versus what he actually does, are two different things.

Michael82
01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
You gotta wonder if we do sign Bates, if Gailey will have him be more willing to adapt to the players and maybe mix in more blitzing.

Jeff1220
01-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I wonder if he has a butler who calls him Master. :snicker:

YardRat
01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
There doesn't necessarily need to be agreement. What Nix says in a press conference to try and sound good, versus what he actually does, are two different things.

Nix pretty much stuck to his word with the head coach.

evdawg419
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I can't find any solid link of this anywhere. That radio station has nothing on its website about it. Lets hope its not true

Michael82
01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Nix pretty much stuck to his word with the head coach.

almost identical to what he said in his press conference.

Griff
01-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Sanders isn't getting love because a lot of fans have hard ons for the 3-4.

zone
01-22-2010, 06:12 AM
There doesn't necessarily need to be agreement. What Nix says in a press conference to sound good to skeptical fans, versus what he actually does, are two different things.
I don't think that is the type of guy Nix is, he seems like a strait shooter who is going to tell it like it is no matter what the media or the fans think.

DesertFox24
01-22-2010, 07:43 AM
The only way I would like this is if we got a better pass rusher/ OLB/ a bigger DT to play next to Stroud.

I love Kyle Williams. He reminds me of me when I played. Small for the position, but works his ass off and produces.

I just think we need to get bigger and tougher. Especially on the line. It would help tremendously with our run defense.

Yes lets bench our pro bowl DT and play the over the hill DT Stroud who did nothing this year.

I like Stroud a lot but his best days a way behind him.

Mahdi
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Here is why I don't like this.......

1. If we stay in a 4-3 that means we need to upgrade 3 positions on the DL in order to compete, DT and 2 DEs.

Stroud and KW are not a good pair. One is aging and not playing at a PB level anymore and the other is an overachiever who lacks the ability to dominate a game inside like Stroud used to be able to do. It is a horrible match and that is why our run D suffered. Stroud cannot handle a double team anymore and KW never could.

2. We will need 2 DEs. Schobel has not been dominant since, well, ever.... Maybin is unproven and undersized and for some reason Kelsay keeps managing to stick around, just as I thought it was the end for him the Bills go ahead and interview a 4-3 stickler.

IMO we need two new starters at DE.

3. This guy from what I understand does not like to blitz much and relies on good active LBs. Well, we would need to add 2 playmakers at OLB because Ellison and Mitchell are not playmakers at OLB. So that is now 5 new players we would need in the front 7.

Also, this is a pass happy league and it requires creativity and pressure to get to the QB and confuse him.

To me, that is wayyy too much upgrading to do with a GM who won't spend in FA.

On the other hand, with a 3-4 we can get away with filling only 2 spots in the front 7. NT and OLB.

I think Stroud would be much better off playing DE in a 3-4 at this point in his career where most of the double teams will go to the NT and his responsibilities are reduced.

Maybin can also benefit because at this point he fits better as an OLB off the edge than a hand in the ground DE.

Kelsay can pack up and leave along with Schobel because they wont fit and we can draft an OLB prospect to compete with Ellis (our 3rd round pick who never saw the field) at rush OLB.

Poz and Mitchell can handle ILB duties.

DMBcrew36
01-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't think that is the type of guy Nix is, he seems like a strait shooter who is going to tell it like it is no matter what the media or the fans think.

Well wouldn't that be a change. He seems like that type of guy and I hope he truly is.

Pinkerton Security
01-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Being fired because your doing a terrible job (Bates), is a tremendous difference than being fired because a young punk ass coach comes in and decides he wants to run his own offense, thus relieving him of his duties for that purpose (Gailey)...Let's get real here.

yeah because the Bucs had such a strong cast on defense, right? Their best player might be Barrett Ruud...and hes like Poz.