• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Chan keeps the faith

In a number of the communities where he has coached, Gailey has been a member of Baptist churches, including Shades Mountain Baptist Church in Birmingham, Ala, during his two years as head coach of the World League of American Football’s Birmingham Fire, and First Baptist Church in Troy, Ala., where he led Troy State to the NCAA Division II National Championship in 1984.

"I became a Christian at 11 years old and was very fortunate to grow up in the church," Gailey, of Americus, Ga., and the son of a football coach, said in a July 1996 radio broadcast affiliated with the Christian magazine Sports Spectrum

"But it was actually at age 29 when I said, 'Hey, I've really got to live it and believe it and breathe it and eat it. I've got to just do everything the way I think Christ would want it done, or don't say I am [a Christian], don't be a hypocrite, don't say one thing and do another. You know, Am I living it or am I not living it? Have I given it to Him or have I not given it to Him?

Full article
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Chan keeps the faith

Are there many Baptist churches in WNY?
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

That is unnecessary, in my opinion. He was interviewed by a Baptist site, he wasn't trying to convert anybody. That is his thing, and unless he starts taking the team to church, and having us say grace before the game, I don't care what his faith is.

This is cheap shot, setting him up for people to blast him for his faith, and get posters going back and forth about theirs.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Lots. I think I have seen them in most of the suburban towns where coaches and players tend to live.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
          That is unnecessary, in my opinion. He was interviewed by a Baptist site, he wasn't trying to convert anybody. That is his thing, and unless he starts taking the team to church, and having us say grace before the game, I don't care what his faith is.

This is cheap shot, setting him up for people to blast him for his faith, and get posters going back and forth about theirs.
          completely agree

the last thing I want to listen to or discuss is religion when were talking football

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
            • Apr 2004

There are several Baptist churches... especially on the East side.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              • May 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
              completely agree

the last thing I want to listen to or discuss is religion when were talking football
              Amen.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

We find the news and post what we think is worthy of discussing.

Although I am far from religious, I thought a man of strong religious convictions would be a person of strong character. That is why I posted this here.

Comment

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid

This isn't a cheap shot.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by northernbillfan

Although I am far from religious, I thought a man of strong religious convictions would be a person of strong character. That is why I posted this here.
                    and that is an opinion.

But now your about ot open a can of worms because there are 1000's of examples we can bring forth about people with strong religous convictions whom are pretty much insane

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      • May 2003

While I agree personally, there is so much controversy over religion here, that this will set off a firestorm of mostly irrelevant ranting and raving.

Comment

• Luisito23
                        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        While I agree personally, there is so much controversy over religion here, that this will set off a firestorm of mostly irrelevant ranting and raving.

No it won't, it was a nice article to read...End of story.
                        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                          • Nov 2009

I apologize if the intent was sincere. It comes across as throwing the bleeding cow in the piranha tank. "Here's his religion, boys (and girls) have at 'em!"

Comment

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            If it gets ugly, we can always move it to the spin zone.

Comment

• Bufftp
                              Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

I liked the article- and don't think it is meant to be an attack
                              I was paricularly taken by his honesty in this quote,

"I became a Christian at 11 years old and was very fortunate to grow up in the church,"
                              "But it was actually at age 29 when I said, 'Hey, I've really got to live it and believe it and breathe it and eat it. I've got to just do everything the way I think Christ would want it done, or don't say I am [a Christian], don't be a hypocrite, don't say one thing and do another. You know, Am I living it or am I not living it? Have I given it to Him or have I not given it to Him?"

For anyone who is a Christian it is very important testimony- the difference between religion and relationship.
                              Last edited by Bufftp; 01-23-2010, 09:33 AM.
                              Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
                              "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
                              Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
                              - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
                              to be led by permanent ideals -
                              that is what keeps a man patient
                              when the world ignores him,
                              and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

Working...
                              X