PDA

View Full Version : Search Back 4 Years Ago - Lots Of We Love Bates Threads

Night Train
01-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Funny how many of you who just jump in on a "He sucks" lemming threads were saying the polar opposite 4 years ago at this time..based on next to no knowledge. Many here were begging for him. :rolleyes: Go back and read.

Come on. If you don't like the guy, base it on doing some actual research going back a few years and not looking at a recent headline of him being fired in Tampa.

His ideal D is a 4-3 with big guys upfront. Isn't blitz happy. Man coverage. Lots of top 10 D's that could be called boring/conservative but seem to force a lot of punts.

He took a couple of jobs in Tampa & Denver and was handed a bad cast to work with. Tampa was still loaded with smallish Cover 2 guys. Shanny was just signing aging FA's and had little talent on the D side of the ball. He never stood a chance in either stop.

We are the worst team in the NFL by a mile against the run. His D would seem to improve that by leaps and bounds, with some actual help in FA and the draft. I still like Stroud, Spencer Johnson and Williams as good 4-3 fits up front, since they have power. The scheme is key to us not giving up 100 + yard games to RB's like it's a given every week. That usually equals a loss.

If someone tells me we should have kept Fewell and his paper D against the run, I'll laugh for a week. If we can even improve to the middle of the pack against the run, we stand a chance to be competitive in far more games.

Let the interview process with all these asst. coaches run it's course and play out before running to the bridge.

Bone
01-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I look at every coaching move/organization in one perspective, we can only go up in terms of developing a better football team. Good Post!

OpIv37
01-22-2010, 07:45 AM
The only problem is that right now, Buffalo is a smallish D with cover 2 type guys. So why would the results here be any different than Tampa?

I honestly don't know enough about Bates to have an opinion one way or the other. I'm just pointing this out.

better days
01-22-2010, 07:55 AM
The only problem is that right now, Buffalo is a smallish D with cover 2 type guys. So why would the results here be any different than Tampa?

I honestly don't know enough about Bates to have an opinion one way or the other. I'm just pointing this out.

I moved to Fla before Sat TV was around so I became a Tampa Bay fan & still am. They are my #2 team. The problem Bates had in Tampa was the DB's are too slow for man to man. Rhonde Barber is a HOF player & is still effective in cover 2 but he can't cover a receiver one on one. For this reason Tampa gave up the big play with Bates defense, when Morris took over the defense it improved greatly because they went back to the cover2.

It would seem Bates can not adjust his defense to suit his players.

Night Train
01-22-2010, 08:24 AM

I agree Op.

I think the D needs to make some needed lineup changes in the front 7, in regards to size. Schobel may retire and Kelsay wouldn't seem to fit but who knows ? The smallish LB's would have to go and Maybin would have to be viewed as an OLB. Whether he can make the transition is unknown.

It seems like the plan regardless.

Griff
01-22-2010, 08:54 AM
if they hired him I'd call him Master.

justasportsfan
01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Bates had a good D in mIami because Wanny blew most of the cap on the defense. Even then the fins were known as a team that collapsed in December , especially their top ranked D. Their D back then reminded me of our D when Spikes and Fletcher were here . They couldn't close games.

SABURZFAN
01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
i was preaching to the Lickers that Lossman sucked 4 years ago.