• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billistic
    Veteran Zoner
    • Nov 2009

There's failure, the there's FAILURE

There are currently 32 teams in the NFL. (I don't want to complicate things unnecessarily by going back into the archaic times when the AFL-NFL thing was evolving.)

If all things were equal, if winning were merely a crap shoot, the chance of the Bills winning the Super Bowl would be ~3%, each year.

The Bills have been extant for 50 years. The odds that they have never won even one a Super Bowl because they are simply unlucky is:

~20% (one in five)

Therefore, the odds that Ralph's organization has intervened to somehow prevent the Bills from having ever won a Super Bowl is ~4/5, or 80%.

There's no such thing as a safe bet, but, in terms of football...

Ralph sure has a major loser's system going.
  • MikeInRoch
    • Sep 2003

Re: There's failure, the there's FAILURE

Even if there was just luck involved, a 1/5 of something not happening is actually a REALLY big percentage.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

Maybe that just means they are due. You know, law of averages.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
        • Apr 2005

anyone else completely confused by the title of this thread?

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
          anyone else completely confused by the title of this thread?
          Then instead of The.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
            Then instead of The.

Comment

• billistic
              Veteran Zoner
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
              Even if there was just luck involved, a 1/5 of something not happening is actually a REALLY big percentage.
              Stay away from Las Vegas.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                • Nov 2005

I'm not following your numbers.

How'd you get from us having a 3% chance of winning every year, to a 1 in 5 that we haven't won one in 50 years?

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ron Burgundy

How'd you get from us having a 3% chance of winning every year, to a 1 in 5 that we haven't won one in 50 years?

good question. with all things being equal we should have 1.5 super bowls by now.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• billistic
                    Veteran Zoner
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ron Burgundy

No. 3% is the chance (by dumb luck) to win EACH year. So the chance of not winning in a given year is 97%.

So the chance of not winning 50 times in a row is 0.97 * 0.97 * 0,97 etc., fifty times (0.97 to the 50th power; for example, 2 raised to the 4th power is 16). The answer is ~ 20%, or 1 in 5.

Comment

• billistic
                      Veteran Zoner
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                      good question. with all things being equal we should have 1.5 super bowls by now.
                      That's correct, too. But we've won zero.

Comment

• billistic
                        Veteran Zoner
                        • Nov 2009

The odds that the Steelers have won six SBs just by dumb luck is just about the same as the odds that the Bills have never won a single one, namely about 20% (actually 0.18 v 0.21).

The point being that it's illogical to suppose that the Bills are just unlucky or that the Steelers are just lucky.

The Bills have been the victims of their own incompetence, and the Steelers (over the long haul) pretty much know what they are doing, as judged by history.

It ain't easy, but it also ain't impossible (except for the Bills - and guess who else?).

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by billistic
                          No. 3% is the chance (by dumb luck) to win EACH year. So the chance of not winning in a given year is 97%.

So the chance of not winning 50 times in a row is 0.97 * 0.97 * 0,97 etc., fifty times (0.97 to the 50th power; for example, 2 raised to the 4th power is 16). The answer is ~ 20%, or 1 in 5.

oh.. you wrote it awkwardly in the first post. what you mean to say is...

with a 3% chance to win the Super Bowl every year, the chance the bills wouldn't any superbowls is just 20%

or only 1 team in 5 wouldn't win a single superbowl after 50 years in a 32 team league. since there are only 44 superbowls the actual number would be 26%

the problem is it's not been a 32 team league for the whole time the superbowl has been around and there hasn't been 50 superbowls.

this year will be the 44th superbowl.

1966 - 24 teams
                          1967 - 25 teams
                          1968 - 26 teams
                          1976 - 28 teams
                          1995 - 30 teams
                          1999 - 31 teams
                          2002 - 32 teams

so the actual math is...

[(1 - 1/24)^1]*[(1 - 1/25)^1]*[(1 - 1/26)^8]*[(1 - 1/28)^19]*[(1 - 1/30)^4]*[(1 - 1/31)^3]*[(1 - 1/32)^8] = 20.67%

which amusingly and completely coincidentally is almost identical with your numbers with the wrong number of super bowls and the wrong number of teams.
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• billistic
                            Veteran Zoner
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                            oh.. you wrote it awkwardly in the first post. what you mean to say is...

with a 3% chance to win the Super Bowl every year, the chance the bills wouldn't any superbowls is just 20%

or only 1 team in 5 wouldn't win a single superbowl after 50 years in a 32 team league. since there are only 44 superbowls the actual number would be 26%

the problem is it's not been a 32 team league for the whole time the superbowl has been around and there hasn't been 50 superbowls.

this year will be the 44th superbowl.

1966 - 24 teams
                            1967 - 25 teams
                            1968 - 26 teams
                            1976 - 28 teams
                            1995 - 30 teams
                            1999 - 31 teams
                            2002 - 32 teams

so the actual math is...

[(1 - 1/24)^1]*[(1 - 1/25)^1]*[(1 - 1/26)^8]*[(1 - 1/28)^19]*[(1 - 1/30)^4]*[(1 - 1/31)^3]*[(1 - 1/32)^8] = 20.67%

which amusingly and completely coincidentally is almost identical with your numbers with the wrong number of super bowls and the wrong number of teams.
                            ...or, as I stated in the first place:

(I don't want to complicate things unnecessarily by going back into the archaic times when the AFL-NFL thing was evolving.)
                            ...and why I used the "~"...

..but if it helps you to get extra puffed-up, fine with me!
                            Last edited by billistic; 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by billistic

I never was a math guy (probablility and its ilk are fascinating; I've just never studied it) so I'm guessing this is my fault for not understanding you.

And feel free to drop this if it's not interesting to you, but...

If you had a bag full of the names of all the teams in the NFL, and you drew one out, noted the name, and put it back, the odds that you pull "Buffalo" is about three percent.

If you did this 50 times in a row, or 1,000, the odds don't change: every time you pull a name, it's approximately a three percent chance that the name is Buffalo.

Right?

Comment

Working...
                              X