PDA

View Full Version : Lets get Dean Pees for DC

Mahdi
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
It was suggested on this board before but at the time it was a lock that he was going to join Mcdaniels in Denver. That appears to have changed as the Broncos are going with Martindale as their DC.

Pees is a hybrid guy and knows how to keep offenses out of the endzone. They are always in the top 10 in points allowed and he would bring a very active and exotic defense as well as some inside info on the Pats and Belichick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/23/broncos-leaning-toward-martindale-not-pees/

SABURZFAN
01-23-2010, 11:21 AM
talk about setting up for urine jokes.

Mahdi
01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
talk about setting up for urine jokes.
At least he doesn't have Jauron's first name.

patmoran2006
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Pees is in the mix for the Buffalo job
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/report-pees-in-mix-for-bills-d-coordinator-job/

Dying_-2-_Live
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
excellent... the guy is a good DC

cbatl32
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
If we hire Bates instead of Pees, I am going to be very upset. But, knowing our organization, we'll go with Bates since Gailey has a previous relationship with him. Heaven forbid we bring in someone with different views.

YardRat
01-23-2010, 12:03 PM
He has experience, and some success with the position. That's great.

Apparently, as cbat pointed out, no previous tie to Gailey. That's bad.

Mahdi
01-23-2010, 12:06 PM
He's 60 which means he meets the age requirements!

WeAreArthurMoates
01-23-2010, 12:14 PM
This is my absolute number 1 candidate. Fits the mold for being a good teacher, knows the Pats and the division and is flexiable in his defensive looks.

kernowboy
01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Bates might actually be the better hire.

Sticking with the 4-3 might be better option especially if we are more aggressive .... the 3-4 is not ideally designed to stop the run, and run defence was the big issue last season.

Bates prefers to use the ends attack whilst having the tackles stand firm at the line of scrimmage and uses speedy linebackers. This could certainly be beneficial to the development of Palmer and Harris, and Bates developed Thomas and Taylor at Miami bringing hope he could bring Maybin on.

He's considered fiery, demanding, energetic, yet fair and hands-on. Give him a couple of big DTs which he didn't have in Tampa and I think he'd be a good DC

Pees has a good reputation with the Pats but how much of that was following Belichicks' lead?

ddaryl
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
At least he doesn't have Jauron's first name.

I wish he did.. it would be great fun to have extedned conversations about Dick Pees

jaycorp51
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I'd be interested in bringing him in over Bates for sure. Keep Catavolos and Sanders on board too.

ddaryl
01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
\

Sticking with the 4-3 might be better option especially if we are more aggressive .... the 3-4 is not ideally designed to stop the run, and run defence was the big issue last season.

I disagree with this statement. the 3-4 can be extremly effective against the run

and the 4-3 can suck against the run just look at our own D

Don't Panic
01-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Bates prefers to use the ends attack whilst having the tackles stand firm at the line of scrimmage and uses speedy linebackers. This could certainly be beneficial to the development of Palmer and Harris, and Bates developed Thomas and Taylor at Miami bringing hope he could bring Maybin on.

I would think Maybin would be the key to making a hybrid D work, as he would hopefully develop into the every down DE/OLB that is instrumental in having a hybrid. We'd still need a big guy for the center of the trenches... not necessarily a true NT, but someone bigger than what is on the roster now.

Pees could be the perfect answer to the question of how do we alter the defense without completely switching schemes and therefore require bringing in lots of new personnel.

kernowboy
01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I would think Maybin would be the key to making a hybrid D work, as he would hopefully develop into the every down DE/OLB that is instrumental in having a hybrid. We'd still need a big guy for the center of the trenches... not necessarily a true NT, but someone bigger than what is on the roster now.

Pees could be the perfect answer to the question of how do we alter the defense without completely switching schemes and therefore require bringing in lots of new personnel.

Linval Joseph, East Carolina Pirates 6ft6 332lbs .. possible 4th rounder?

WeAreArthurMoates
01-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Pees sounds exactly like what Gailey does on offense. I really hope this comes to fruition.

direbills
01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
He's 60 which means he meets the age requirements!

So he is kinda young, right?

BILLSROCK1212
01-23-2010, 01:24 PM
This is as good as done.

Buddo
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/23/source-pees-has-something-else-lined-up/

Seems like it could be possible.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/01/23/will-changing-winds-in-denver-leave-dean-pees-out-in-the-cold/

Ferrygoat
Pees already agreed to coach somewhere...Maybe it's Buffalo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/23/source-pees-has-something-else-lined-up/

Ferrygoat
01-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Seems like it could be possible.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/01/23/will-changing-winds-in-denver-leave-dean-pees-out-in-the-cold/

Beat me to it

Mahdi
01-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Bates might actually be the better hire.

He's considered fiery, demanding, energetic, yet fair and hands-on. Give him a couple of big DTs which he didn't have in Tampa and I think he'd be a good DC

Pees has a good reputation with the Pats but how much of that was following Belichicks' lead?
Look at the top 10 run D's over the last couple years and see how many are 3-4.

Pitt, Balt, NYJ, Ariz, SF, GB, DAL...

6 of the top 10 run defenses this year were 3-4.

Buddo
01-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Beat me to it

But not by a lot. ;)

Mahdi
01-23-2010, 01:51 PM

We have Lonnie Harvey on the roster... 6'3 346 pounds. He is a typical 3-4 NT candidate. He also has some nice agility and hustle.

This guy was signed as soon as Jauron was fired and I am 100% sure Buddy Nix made that call knowing he was going to be the GM and was planning for next season.

YardRat
01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
So what are the personal/health issues that Pees is supposedly dealing with??

wmoz11
01-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Prostate cancer.

They operated for it last summer and then later found a blood clot in his leg.

Don't Panic
01-23-2010, 02:02 PM
We have Lonnie Harvey on the roster... 6'3 346 pounds. He is a typical 3-4 NT candidate. He also has some nice agility and hustle.

This guy was signed as soon as Jauron was fired and I am 100% sure Buddy Nix made that call knowing he was going to be the GM and was planning for next season.

He could definitely be in the mix as a depth guy. Not sure he'd be ready to start or contribute regularly for a year or two, but it definitely adds to the depth chart.

Mahdi
01-23-2010, 02:06 PM
He could definitely be in the mix as a depth guy. Not sure he'd be ready to start or contribute regularly for a year or two, but it definitely adds to the depth chart.
NT is not really a position you need a lot of experience/development to play in the NFL. Really its 50% about being just a big guy and holding your ground, 30% awareness and 20% toughness.

He would be asked to go in on 1st and 2nd down and just hold his ground then get off the field on 3rd.

If he is motivated he can easily be our starting NT this year.

Don't Panic
01-23-2010, 02:12 PM

Just saw this... sorry if it is repost:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/01/pees_explains_d.html

Pees, 60, was diagnosed with prostate cancer and underwent surgery over the summer. Soon thereafter, he had a blood clot in his leg. He’s now cancer-free, but had bronchial spasms – which have all the symptoms of a heart attack – that caused a scare in the coaches’ booth during the regular-season finale in Houston, and he was hospitalized.

No one may be getting him...

Luisito23
01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd be interested in bringing him in over Bates for sure. Keep Catavolos and Sanders on board too.

If we get Pees, and both Cat, and Sanders stay, this off-season might not turn out to be as horrible as I first thought.

jamcrew
01-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I would like to switch to the 3-4 as well, but we only have so many draft picks along with a limited FA pool(no Coll. Barg. Agreement). We have a lot of holes to fill and wonder if switching might make it worse.

Luisito23
01-23-2010, 02:33 PM
wonder if switching might make it worse.

We're in major rebuild time right now, so how could it hurt?...Let's do it now, and get it out of the way.