PDA

View Full Version : A two year project

kernowboy
01-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Whilst fans are loathed to accept this, the work of Nix and Galley will require 2 years to bear real benefits.

There is a tendancy to try to fix all of our problems in one offseason and the truth of it is, it is simply not possible. Rome was not built in a day and neither will this franchise be.

The failure so far to agree on the CBA muddies the waters because free agency pickings will be even slimmer. Even if it was agreed to, the Bills ability to compete with teams undergoing a makeover like the likes of Washington, Seattle etc are limited.

We have seen ourselves be burnt before in Free Agency. When players are released or not resigned it is often because they are on the downside of their careers and have lost a step, or are demanding ridiculous amounts of money which they will never play up to. Only very occasionally it is because a team changes its system and they no longer fit. A player who might hit the market under those circumstances is Aaron Kampman who has struggled in the 3-4.

If Nix is therefore going to focus on the draft, we cannot expect to get a franchise QB and ProBowl LT in the same draft starting from Day1, whilst also looking at switching to a 3-4 whilst replacing players who seem destined not to be resigned likes Owens and Reed. It is simply not physically possible.

The question fans must ask is will Nix and Galley look at the QB and LT prospects in both 2010 and 2011, and based on this work out which way to jump. With a number of junior LTs out this year (Davis, Campbell, Bulaga) compared to junior QBs staying in school (Locker, Mallett, Devlin etc) they may feel they will get better value fixing the OL first .... considering its a 2 year project

After all you don't park your shiny new Merc in the roughest area of town waiting for it to be vandalised - you don't give a rookie QB $60m without proper protection.

Buddo
01-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Much will still depend on who we bring in as our DC. It would seem that the 'word' from the rumour mongerers, is that we will go to a 3-4, but until we know who our DC is, I don't think we can take that as gospel. We may still be prepared to continue with a 4-3 variant.
Whichever way we go, the thing that needs to be done before anything else imho, is to resolve the offensive tackle positions.
I believe we can find a genuine starter for RT, out of the guys I would keep, who are Bell, Butler and Meredith. That leaves LT. I think we need a LT early in the draft. I don't believe we can find a viable one in FA. It would seem likely that we will have a choice of at least a couple of good ones, at the #9 pick.
Get ourselves a decent LT, and we can then start to believe we can put out a respectable offence, even with the guys we have on the roster. The offense is going to be 'run first' anyway, so there is a lesser premium on worrying about WRs. Evans is fine anyway, and Hardy and Johnson will just have to step up. Jackson is also a very viable receiver in his own right, and we could well see both RBs on the field on a regular basis.
Nelson should also not be forgotten in that mix. The guy has probably the best 'hands' of any of our receivers, and can be a vertical threat.
Gailey will have to decide which QB he is going to go with. I don't believe that it will be Fitz, although stranger things have happened. In a 'run first' offense, either Edwards, or indeed Brohm, should be fine. If they want a veteran who Brohm can learn from, then they need to get Pennington, regardless of the 'noodle arm'. Pennington can read defenses, and his knowledge would be invaluable.
Sort the O-Line out, and you could use the vast majority of the rest of the picks we have, on re-fashioning the D, if that is the way we are going. I wouldn't be bothering taking another QB this year, even in the low rounds, as we already have a 'project' in Brohm, who has as much, if not more, ability, than anyone outside of Bradford imho. I see no reason to draft people who are worse than what you already have.

Typ0
01-24-2010, 07:26 AM
It will take three years before the fan base fully turns on them and a change is needed to keep the coffers full.

jamze132
01-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I would rather not spend a 1st rounder on a QB this year unless we trade back in. I think that it is imperative to either grab the best available LT or simply go with MLB McClain at #9 if he is there.

Who knows how Edwards or Brohm will react to a totally new coaching staff? I would rather find out first before spending so much on a new QB. It's not like we are going to be competitive in year one of the new regime.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
WE HAVE NO NEED AT MLB, WE HAVE POZ, MCCLAIN WILL NOT BE THE PICK... EVEN IF WE GO TO A 34 WE STILL HAVE POZ AND MITCHELL... ITS LT OR BUST...

there are no lts available if there is no cba... its lt or bust....

bulaga would be my pick... he is my mock offseason...

1. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">BRYAN</st1:place></st1:City> BULAGA OT
2. TERRENCE CODY NT
2. GOLDEN TATE WR
3. DAN LEFEVOUR QB
4. SEAN LEE ILB
5. ERIC OLSEN G
5. THADEUS GIBSON OLB
6. DOUG <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">WORTHINGTON</st1:place></st1:City> DE
6. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">BRANDON</st1:City></st1:place> DEADERICK DE
6. DREW <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">DAVIS</st1:place></st1:City> OT
7. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">AUSTIN</st1:City></st1:place> SPITLER ILB
7. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">ROY</st1:place></st1:City> UPCHURCH RB

BILLS FA SIGNINGS
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
QB MICHAEL VICK
FB DAN KRIEDER
DE JARVIS GREEN
OLB TULLY BANTA CAIN
<o:p> </o:p>
RESIGN
WR TERRELL OWENS
OG RICHIE INCOGNITO
<st1:place w:st="on">S BRYAN</st1:place> SCOTT
S GEORGE WILSON
LB CHRIS DRAFT
TRADE
KYLE WILLIAMS FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 2<SUP>ND</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK
TRENT EDWARDS FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 6<SUP>TH</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK
ROSCOE PARRISH FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 5<SUP>TH</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK

OFFENSE
OWENS TATE HARDY
BULAGA <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">BELL</st1:place></st1:City>
LEVITRE INCOGNITO
HANGARTNER OLSEN
WOOD INCOGNITO
<st1:City w:st="on">BUTLER</st1:City> MEREDITH <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">DAVIS</st1:place></st1:City>
NELSON SCHOUMAN FINE
EVANS JOHNSON
VICK LEFEVOUR FITZPATRICK
KRIEDER MCINTYRE
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">JACKSON</st1:place></st1:City> LYNCH UPCHURCH
DEFENSE
STROUD JOHNSON
CODY FRAZIER
GREEN <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">WORTHINGTON</st1:place></st1:City> DEADERICK
MAYBIN GIBSON
POZ LEE SPITLER
MITCHELL DRAFT
BANTA CAIN KELSAY
MCKELVIN <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">FLORENCE</st1:place></st1:City> YOUBOTY
MCGEE CORNER
WHITNER SCOTT
BYRD <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">WILSON</st1:place></st1:City> HARRIS

YardRat
01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
I wouldn't mind shooting for an older vet QB in FA as a stopgap/bandaid, such as Bulger or McNabb. Go big, early, in the draft. We need an LT, and unless Nix has an inside track on an unknown that's ready to explode I don't see one with NFL experience coming in. Hardy or Johnson need to step up, and if we lose Reed also we'll need a viable slot receiver. IMO in reality although the offensive side of the ball has been putrid, with the work on the o-line last season it's going to be the easiest side of the ball to 'fix'. Although we have lacked obvious talent in a couple of spots just 2-3 upgrades will go a long way.

Defense is an entirely different story if we're switching base schemes. Most of the d-line needs to be re-worked. LB's need to be upgraded. Another very solid if not spectaculer corner and a stud safety are necessary.

I think the offense can be addressed (not to the point of dominance, but at least more than adequate) this season, but it's the D that's going to take 2 or more.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:35 AM
i think if we pick up michael vick or chad pennington or marc bulger, i think we can win next year... look at my mock. we would have a good team

YardRat
01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
i think if we pick up michael vick or chad pennington or marc bulger, i think we can win next year... look at my mock. we would have a good team

I don't think Cody and Tate will be available when we're up in the second, TO is going elsewhere, and although one of the proposed trades may fly, not all three. Just IMO.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:47 AM
nobody else wants owens, he is going to stay here.

if cody isnt there then we will take dan williams

if tate isnt there we will take gilyard...

YardRat
01-24-2010, 07:51 AM
In a 'normal' off-season, the chances of TO staying might be slightly higher. With 200+ FA's being RFA's instead of UFA's this off-season, somebody in need of a wide-out will go after him.

Yasgur's Farm
01-24-2010, 07:56 AM
The following list are players I feel have a better than average chance of being on the final roster.

Offense:
1) Brohm
2) Jackson
3) Lynch?
4) Evans
5) Hardy
6) Steve Johnson
7) Parrish
8) Nelson
9) Fine
10) Schouman?
11) Levitre
12) Hangartner
13) Wood
14) Incognito?
15) Butler
16) Meredith
17) Bell

Defense:
1) Stroud
2) Williams
3) Kelsay
4) Ellis
5) Spencer Johnson
6) Schobel?
7) Maybin
8) Posluszny
9) Mitchell
10) Nic Harris
11) McGee
12) McKelvin
13) Florence
14) Corner
15) Lankster
16) Byrd
17) Whitner
18) Wilson?
19) Bryan Scott?

Special Teams:
1) Lindell
2) Moorman
3) Sanborn

8 or more roster spots to fill on offense.
6 or more roster spots to fill on defense.

That's 14 new Bills from draft, free agency, trade, and undrafted free agents. Who will these 14 players be?

kernowboy
01-24-2010, 08:01 AM
nobody else wants owens, he is going to stay here.

if cody isnt there then we will take dan williams

if tate isnt there we will take gilyard...

Both Dan Williams and Terrence Cody will go in the 1st round

jamze132
01-24-2010, 08:48 AM
WE HAVE NO NEED AT MLB, WE HAVE POZ, MCCLAIN WILL NOT BE THE PICK... EVEN IF WE GO TO A 34 WE STILL HAVE POZ AND MITCHELL... ITS LT OR BUST...

Eh, you realize Poz isn't that good and Mitchell is a joke, right?

Buddo
01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
The following list are players I feel have a better than average chance of being on the final roster.

Offense:
1) Brohm
2) Jackson
3) Lynch?
4) Evans
5) Hardy
6) Steve Johnson
7) Parrish
8) Nelson
9) Fine
10) Schouman?
11) Levitre
12) Hangartner
13) Wood
14) Incognito?
15) Butler
16) Meredith
17) Bell

Defense:
1) Stroud
2) Williams
3) Kelsay
4) Ellis
5) Spencer Johnson
6) Schobel?
7) Maybin
8) Posluszny
9) Mitchell
10) Nic Harris
11) McGee
12) McKelvin
13) Florence
14) Corner
15) Lankster
16) Byrd
17) Whitner
18) Wilson?
19) Bryan Scott?

Special Teams:
1) Lindell
2) Moorman
3) Sanborn

8 or more roster spots to fill on offense.
6 or more roster spots to fill on defense.

That's 14 new Bills from draft, free agency, trade, and undrafted free agents. Who will these 14 players be?

That's actually not a bad 'list' at all tbh.
I think either Edwards or Fitz will also remain. Not both, but at least one of them.
I'd also be inclined to keep Simmons, as I think another vet in the mix is healthy, and if he gets properly fit, he could provide genuine competition. Incognito is definitely worth keeping.
Parrish still has to be a ? in my book, but if Gailey thinks he can use him, then fair enough.
I don't think it's worth keeping both Schouman and Fine. In what is, in effect, 5 years between them, I'm not sure they've been healthy for the equivalent of one. There are no good players who aren't available come Sundays.
On defence, much will depend on scheme. Corner, Lankster and Harris, are all potential cuts imho. They are all small for their respective positions.
I want to keep Wilson and Scott both. We are starting to have a pretty handy secondary, regardless of scheme, and they both contribute. Wilson is also a STs star, yet can still be relied upon if he has to play.