PDA

View Full Version : Clausen is/ Clausen isn't

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-24-2010, 07:16 AM
is he or is he NOT a great NFL prospect?
On this board, he will be either the next Johnny U. or he sucks gravy... not much middle ground..

Seems like everyone just reads some scouting report and all of a sudden you are a QB fortune teller.

How many of u have actually watxhed him play enough to formulate a VALID assment...and even then noone REALLY knpws how he'll do at the next level.
QBs arre the biggest crap shoot in the draft as Buffalo continues to prove.

jamze132
01-24-2010, 07:25 AM
I didn't watch many of his games in ND as I was busy watching Gator games. But I would rather not draft a QB at #9. If Rolando McClain is on the board (doubtful), he must be the pick.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:26 AM
id rather bring in michael vick and then draft lefevour in rd 3

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:28 AM
mcclain wont be the pick we have no need at mlb, we have poz. we have a huge massive hole at LT... its lt or bust... there are no lts available if there is no cba. we must take a lt at 9

SquishDaFish
01-24-2010, 08:06 AM
I watched every one of his games and I think he will be a great player in the NFL. Instant starter maybe not but he needs some more coaching. Good thing is he had a good start in college with a coach that knows the NFL.

SquishDaFish
01-24-2010, 08:08 AM
mcclain wont be the pick we have no need at mlb, we have poz. we have a huge massive hole at LT... its lt or bust... there are no lts available if there is no cba. we must take a lt at 9

If we go 3-4 then we need a MLB. Not to mention 4-3 Poz would be a better OLB

snow1989
01-24-2010, 08:31 AM
I watched ND games and Claussen could be a very good QB, he's coming out early, but he did play 3 seasons. I think he will need a strong line in front of him in order to be succesful if he's a rookie starter. I don't think he has the mobility of say Sanchez who has a strong line, but when it does break down he can wheel out of it.

That said...I still wouldn't want him at #9, I think we need to bolster our line first so whoever is back there isn't running around like it's a jail-break

mrbojanglezs
01-24-2010, 09:05 AM
he has leadership issues and he isn't pinpoint accurate. i woldn't take him higher than like 18

Yasgur's Farm
01-24-2010, 09:25 AM
mcclain wont be the pick we have no need at mlb, we have poz. we have a huge massive hole at LT... its lt or bust... there are no lts available if there is no cba. we must take a lt at 91) We need a quality LB regardless of 4-3 or 3-4.
2) I'd rather go with the top LB over the 3rd LT.
3) Most polls have Rolando McClain ranked higher than Bryan Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis and Trent Williams.

DraftBoy
01-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Saw every snap of his Notre Dame career and I wouldn't take him. He isn't good in the face of pressure and I dont think he is a true leader either. Notre Dame's failures are not solely on him as the D sucked and so did Weiss. He is a hell of a gamer and he has the arm and accuracy to play in the NFL, but I dont see him ever being more than a marginal NFL starter.

OpIv37
01-24-2010, 10:16 AM
On this board, he will be either the next Johnny U. or he sucks gravy... not much middle ground..

Seems like everyone just reads some scouting report and all of a sudden you are a QB fortune teller.

How many of u have actually watxhed him play enough to formulate a VALID assment...and even then noone REALLY knpws how he'll do at the next level.
I'm a Notre Dame fan and and watched pretty much every game he played. He was great but I don't see it translating to the next level. Anyway, it's irrelevant because if we draft him, our ****ty OL and lackluster WRs will destroy his confidence. We need to fix those two positions before pouring resources into a qb.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
so the two guys who actually saw him play and watched eveery snap are against him being a Bill....
Thats better then guys who just read scouting reports formulating an opinion that way
so thats the kind of info Im interested in.... I never saw him play so I dont know.

Ron Burgundy
01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Every person who posts on here could have watched him play every single snap of his entire life, and it wouldn't make their opinion any better than mine or yours, because none of us are qualified to scout football players.

So, every time you read "Player X sucks!" or "Player X is a sure thing!" remember that their opinion is not any more informed or inherently helpful than your own.

TedMock
01-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Saw every snap of his Notre Dame career and I wouldn't take him. He isn't good in the face of pressure and I dont think he is a true leader either. Notre Dame's failures are not solely on him as the D sucked and so did Weiss. He is a hell of a gamer and he has the arm and accuracy to play in the NFL, but I dont see him ever being more than a marginal NFL starter.
I'm pretty much on board with this assessment. I did not see every game, but I certainly watched my fair share over the last couple of years. The only slight disagreement I have here is accuracy. I do agree that he is extremely accurate when given plenty of time, but I do not feel that he's "NFL accurate." He uncomfortable on the move and he has a slow delivery. "Time" in an NFL pocket isn't nearly as forgiving, so accuracy will suffer and require some adjusments in delivery. I have no insight on his ability to re-learn this aspect though.

jamze132
01-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Every person who posts on here could have watched him play every single snap of his entire life, and it wouldn't make their opinion any better than mine or yours, because none of us are qualified to scout football players.

So, every time you read "Player X sucks!" or "Player X is a sure thing!" remember that their opinion is not any more informed or inherently helpful than your own.
I put all my stock in Champ Kind...

mrbojanglezs
01-24-2010, 12:25 PM
if bradford is there at 9 you take him if bradford is gone but clausen is there at 9 you take a LT and possibly trade back to the 1st later to take clausen

Slim
01-24-2010, 12:25 PM

This isn't entriely accurate. There is no secret formula to scouting players. If you know what to look for, it's not that hard. People like Draftboy, X-era, and Ingtar are pretty accurate with there assesments.

Ingtar33
01-24-2010, 01:01 PM

a fair assessment. really even with NFL scouts dissecting every play from a QB over his career the hit rate on first round QBs (ever being good enough to be pro bowlers) is something terrible like 25% - 33%. So even with NFL scouts watching every play the success rate is still horrible. It gets worse outside the 1st round... as 2nd round QBs hit about 10% of the time... and 3rd or later hit like 2% of the time.

But to say NFL scouts don't know what they're doing isn't true (especially if you consider that the highest success group IS the 1st round QBs, clearly they know something!). The problem is the vast majority of College QBs simply won't make it in the NFL.

One of the first things i was taught when evaluating college QBs is "assume they'll fail." The process from there was to watch them. If they start to turn your view around you might have a winner. Only a hand full of College QBs ever really catch my eye on first sight. And while i've missed a couple of guys who went on to be successes (Carson Palmer being the most obvious), i can only think of one college QB i really whiffed on who i thought would be a success (Byron Leftwich; in fairness to me, he's not had a horrible career, he's just hit a wall in his 2nd year and never got much better then a bellow average NFL starter). As a talent evaluator that is a record of success... because it's not the number of successes you miss that are on your head... it's the number of failures you endorse.

When i look at this QB class i think of 2002. I see David Carr and Joey Harrington's draft. That year i couldn't stand anyone in that draft at QB. I thought Carr might be a borderline starter... and i think i had him as an early 2nd round talent. Harrington wasn't even that.

This year i see Sam Bradford as a mid first to mid second round talent. he's not a surefire hit. If i was drafting first i'd tell my team not to draft him. But he is undeniably the best looking QB in this draft. I see Jimmy Clausen as a mid 2nd round pick. Oh, he's got his high points. but he's got so much wrong with him i can't see him stepping onto a team and succeeding.

Now understand i've only watched a few games for each of these guys over the last few years. I'm usually quite busy on Saturdays, so unlike when i was actually in the field and it was my job, i'm not intimately familiar with them. (so my opinion is probably less valuable then guys like Draftboy or X-Era who i know have watched both those QBs far more then I)

JCBills
01-24-2010, 01:45 PM
I've watched Clausen since signing day.

Anyone who's seen him from then to now has seen a QB rapidly developing. He's by no means a finished product, but has the ability to be a good QB in the league, I've watched at least 20 ND games since Clausen's Freshman year (I'm a ND fan) and don't hold him so high just because of it.

Ron Burgundy
01-24-2010, 02:22 PM
This isn't entriely accurate. There is no secret formula to scouting players. If you know what to look for, it's not that hard. People like Draftboy, X-era, and Ingtar are pretty accurate with there assesments.

I can read every assessment any of them have ever made on some scouting website, and expect the same level of accuracy on any of them. If you wanted to spend a bunch of time culling that **** from the internet, you could be an "expert" too, even if you didn't know a ******* thing about football.

X-Era
01-25-2010, 06:21 AM

I think most of us draft fans don't actually use words as emphatic as those. I'm not sure I could feel so sure of an opinion to state it so strongly. Even in a case like Tebow, where I feel strongly that he doesn't have an NFL arm, I could see the possibility of him going the route of Rivers, who also has a goofy throwing motion. The whole thing is a crap shoot, I, for one, try to simply state an opinion. I have been wrong on several players in the past, and so has every single so called draft guru, professional or otherwise.

Where I disagree is that I feel there is a lot of knowledge, and talent right here on this board when it comes to scouting players. Many people put in a lot of time watching and taking notes. I think there is more value in the opinions here than it may seem on the surface. But, as always, posters are free to take the opinions for whatever worth they see fit.

But, any time I see stuff like "player X sucks!" I pretty much discard it as a poster who doesn't like that player for some reason. That's not always the same as if that player actually couldn't play.