PDA

View Full Version : Why No Marty Ball in Buffalo

ghz in pittsburgh
01-24-2010, 08:36 AM
ESPN reported this week that Marty Schottenheimer indeed was interested in coaching for the Bills, and that Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was not keen on him.
Sources we contacted backed up the contention that Schottenheimer, 66, would have liked to return to the sidelines in Buffalo. Bills GM Buddy Nix is friends with Schottenheimer. So why no Marty? One possibility that seems logical is the Chargers' ownership gave a less than flattering endorsement of him to Wilson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did give a strong endorsement of Chan Gailey to the Bills, according to sources in Dallas. Schottenheimer is a defensive guy. The Bills wanted offense. He also would have been a more expensive option, although how much more is hard to say.
The elder Schottenheimer's role adds another element to the refusal of Brian Schottenheimer to interview in Buffalo. If dad wanted the job, the son was much more likely to beg off.

That's the most reasonable take I have from anyone.

http://www.buffalonews.com/298/story/933352.html

BTW: I'm 100% behind his assessment of 3-4/4-3 for the Bills. Personally I like 3-4 but given the Bills current defensive talent, I think it's a mistake to just switch to 3-4 because some teams are doing well with it. Personnel is the key. I'm hoping Buddy Nix and Co. can work some magic on D-Line and LB positions in this draft.

Night Train
01-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Cowher endorsed Gailey and Schott obviously didn't click 100 % with Nix from his SD days, for reasons we'll never know.

It's in the rearview mirror now.

Ebenezer
01-24-2010, 08:52 AM
can this weekend be the end of the Marty threads or do folks still talk about the girl they never dated?

X-Era
01-24-2010, 09:19 AM
can this weekend be the end of the Marty threads or do folks still talk about the girl they never dated?
1) Hes not our coach, neither is Cowher, Gruden, etc..

2) Marks article again provides little real information, but more possibilities and conjecture

3) Who actually cares.

I believe we are in for more of the same with what we have now. I think that most of the questions that people have about what happened and didnt happen really stem from a desire to show that Ralph and Co. are the root of all our problems and have again screwed us. OK fine, whether its true or not, Ralph is still our owner, Nix is now our GM, and we are back where we were before this thread. This team is what it is. We are fans, and we can choose to stay behind the team, or not. But pointing out the ineptitude, the issues, or problems wont really fix anything since none of us have control. And it seems like some just really want everyone to get on their bandwagon of blame against the people or person that they think has caused all the problems. I'm not sure where that heads to, because we still will be where we are.

Canadian'eh!
01-24-2010, 10:13 AM
ESPN reported this week that Marty Schottenheimer indeed was interested in coaching for the Bills, and that Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was not keen on him.
Sources we contacted backed up the contention that Schottenheimer, 66, would have liked to return to the sidelines in Buffalo. Bills GM Buddy Nix is friends with Schottenheimer. So why no Marty? One possibility that seems logical is the Chargers' ownership gave a less than flattering endorsement of him to Wilson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did give a strong endorsement of Chan Gailey to the Bills, according to sources in Dallas. Schottenheimer is a defensive guy. The Bills wanted offense. He also would have been a more expensive option, although how much more is hard to say.
The elder Schottenheimer's role adds another element to the refusal of Brian Schottenheimer to interview in Buffalo. If dad wanted the job, the son was much more likely to beg off.

That's the most reasonable take I have from anyone.

http://www.buffalonews.com/298/story/933352.html

BTW: I'm 100% behind his assessment of 3-4/4-3 for the Bills. Personally I like 3-4 but given the Bills current defensive talent, I think it's a mistake to just switch to 3-4 because some teams are doing well with it. Personnel is the key. I'm hoping Buddy Nix and Co. can work some magic on D-Line and LB positions in this draft.

Could have settled for that one line.

Don't give me crap about the Chargers not endorsing him. Clearly that ended badly, and Nix knows the guy well enough to vouch for him. PLus we would have gotten Brian to come here as OC/AHC to be the "offensive guy".

It was all about money, as it always is with Ralph. Say the right things for the fans to feel better, but do whatever keeps the green coming in. forget wins and loses. It's the Bills way.

Joke of a franchise.

Liverpoolkev
01-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Cowher endorsed Gailey and Schott obviously didn't click 100 % with Nix from his SD days, for reasons we'll never know.

It's in the rearview mirror now.............:sarcasm: ............Or the real reason......brandon,littman,overdorf didnt ever want to pay top $ for any coach...................Fact is the name coaches cost too much.........Chan Gailey and crew comes within brandon,littman,overdorf price point CHEAP

Michael82
01-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Anyone see this?

Loyalty is one of Marv Levy's strong traits. Here was Levy this week speaking about the Bills on Sirus XM Radio: "Personally, I was a little bit surprised and unhappy that they let Dick Jauron go. You can't just keep shaking it up, shaking it up, shaking it up. He's a good coach. He taught well. He related well with the players. Yes, he'd gone through several 7-9 seasons but I think if they would have stuck with him that was their best chance to really get the ball rolling."

Come on Marv! Let it go! He was a horrible choice for head coach and you can't admit you failed. :mad:

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2010, 11:05 AM
I cant believe some people are indifferent about not getting marty....these people have obviously have had their head in the sand for the last decade while this team has been run so cheaply and will accept any coach

YardRat
01-24-2010, 11:11 AM
It's pretty sad when the 'horse's mouth' comes right out and addresses the issue, and it still lives on. Talking heads' sources = dumbasses. If any of them actually had any inside info, they wouldn't have been clueless about the Gainey hire.

My favorite part of the article was this...

Kudos to Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, who lost a bet to Indiana's governor due to the Ravens' loss to the Colts last week. O'Malley paid up by sending some crab cakes to Indianapolis and by flying a Colts flag on his state vehicle this week, as part of the deal. However, it was a Baltimore Colts flag, not a current Colts flag.