PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock:No QB Worth 1st Pick

DraftBoy
01-24-2010, 09:21 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/analyst-no-quarterback-worthy-of-no-1-pick-in-nfl-draft/1

Mayock, Ing, and I all agree.

hydro
01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
:bf1: Say no to a QB in the first round!

X-Era
01-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree as well. Should it happen? No. Could it happen? Yes... the position is coveted.

I could see Bradford dropping to us. I think its not likely, but that it could happen.

DraftBoy
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
I think even if one of them drops we aren't taking them. That will piss off plenty of the fans.

kernowboy
01-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Teams always overpay for a QB

Alex Smith wasn't the best player in 2005 but he went No1, as did JaMarcus Russell in 2007.

QB is always the position teams will overpay for in a draft

Mahdi
01-24-2010, 10:24 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/analyst-no-quarterback-worthy-of-no-1-pick-in-nfl-draft/1

Mayock, Ing, and I all agree.
He says he doesn't think a QB should go #1 overall. Doesn't say that there is none worthy of top ten.

Really, its going to depend on who is available when we pick. There are only a few players who are almost "Cant Miss."

Morgan, McCoy, Suh, Berry, Haden, Okung. Outside of those players everyone else has questions so you might as well grab the best QB on the board.

DraftBoy
01-24-2010, 10:37 AM
He says he doesn't think a QB should go #1 overall. Doesn't say that there is none worthy of top ten.

Really, its going to depend on who is available when we pick. There are only a few players who are almost "Cant Miss."

Morgan, McCoy, Suh, Berry, Haden, Okung. Outside of those players everyone else has questions so you might as well grab the best QB on the board.

I never said anything about the top 10, but he does call the class average as far as QB's go.

I think we should take the best LT on the board not the best QB, especially when their are questions about if the top 2 guys are even worth of a top 10 selection or not.

Slim
01-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I would have no problem taking Bradford at #9.

And i'm pretty sure Ing said he'd have a brain aneurysm if we passed on him. I could be wrong though.

Ingtar33
01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I would have no problem taking Bradford at #9.

And i'm pretty sure Ing said he'd have a brain aneurysm if we passed on him. I could be wrong though.

yep. because he's the best QB in the draft by a mile. he's not a surefire success like Roethlisberger, McNabb or P. Manning when they came out, but he's clearly the best QB in this draft.

We need a QB so badly... i couldn't forgive this franchise if it passes on the lone "possible" franchise QB in this draft.

~note: I'm not sold on Bradford, but i've seen enough of the other "top" QBs to know he's the best one -hands down- in this draft. He's at the lower edge of my ratings a guy needs to get to be even a "first round talent." But if the best QB in the draft drops to you, and QB is a massive hole in your roster, you have to take the shot, as long as he's drawing a 1st round grade.

we are
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
He could be right, but he's certainly been wrong before.

PECKERWOOD
01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
No QB is worth a 1st.

That's if you're on ice.

Night Train
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
But Tebow IS A GOD ! I'VE HEARD OF HIM ! :crazy: :drool2:

Draft a LT in Round 1 and aquire A Vet QB to compete with Brohm.

Raptor
01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Good read....I still bet Clausen and Bradford go top 10 and one of them goes top 5

DraftBoy
01-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Good read....I still bet Clausen and Bradford go top 10 and one of them goes top 5

Very well may but that does not make them worth it or the smart picks.

Mahdi
01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I never said anything about the top 10, but he does call the class average as far as QB's go.

I think we should take the best LT on the board not the best QB, especially when their are questions about if the top 2 guys are even worth of a top 10 selection or not.
It really depends on who falls to us DB. Its a board right, and you take the top player on your board.

For me it is,

1. Suh
2. Okung
3. Morgan
4. McCoy
5. Clausen
6. Bradford
7. Hughes
8. Bulaga
9. Dunlap

10. Campbell
11. McClain
12. Berry
13. Bryant

Now, that board factors in value AND need based on Buffalo. If I was doing a board for another team it would look different.

So for Buffalo, they would be taking one of those top 9 guaranteed.

DraftBoy
01-28-2010, 10:39 AM
It really depends on who falls to us DB. Its a board right, and you take the top player on your board.

For me it is,

1. Suh
2. Okung
3. Morgan
4. McCoy
5. Clausen
6. Bradford
7. Hughes
8. Bulaga
9. Dunlap

10. Campbell
11. McClain
12. Berry
13. Bryant

Now, that board factors in value AND need based on Buffalo. If I was doing a board for another team it would look different.

So for Buffalo, they would be taking one of those top 9 guaranteed.

Not all the time no. Some teams dont always stick to the board, for instance I have my board as;

1. Suh
2. Berry
3. McCoy
4. Bryant
5. McClain
6. Okung
7. Morgan
8. Bulaga
9. Spiller
10. Haden
11. Bradford
12. Dunlap
13. Campbell
14. Dwyer
15. Clausen

Now if Bryant were to fall to us at 9, I would still find it difficult to pass on a Bulaga or even Campbell to select him. Just as I would likely pass on Bradford if the top 9 went exactly how my board is and take either Dunlap or Campbell. Just because I put a guys value as high doesn't automatically make him my pick if he's there. Need and preference do play a role.

THATHURMANATOR
01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
yep. because he's the best QB in the draft by a mile. he's not a surefire success like Roethlisberger, McNabb or P. Manning when they came out, but he's clearly the best QB in this draft.

We need a QB so badly... i couldn't forgive this franchise if it passes on the lone "possible" franchise QB in this draft.

~note: I'm not sold on Bradford, but i've seen enough of the other "top" QBs to know he's the best one -hands down- in this draft. He's at the lower edge of my ratings a guy needs to get to be even a "first round talent." But if the best QB in the draft drops to you, and QB is a massive hole in your roster, you have to take the shot, as long as he's drawing a 1st round grade.
Was Big Ben a sure fire prospect? Wasn't he the 3rd QB selected that year?

I do agree with you assesment on Bradford at 9 100%.

What are your feelings on Clausen?

SABURZFAN
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
:bf1: Say no to a QB in the first round!

but... but.... the chicken littles say we need to use that #9 pick on a QB.

SABURZFAN
01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Very well may but that does not make them worth it or the smart picks.

so much for BPA.... :snicker:

THATHURMANATOR
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
but... but.... the chicken littles say we need to use that #9 pick on a QB.
I am no Chicken Little.

ING agrees that taking bradford at 9 is the way to go.

DraftBoy
01-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I am no Chicken Little.

ING agrees that taking bradford at 9 is the way to go.

But not because he's actually worth the pick.

SABURZFAN
01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
I am no Chicken Little.

:roflmao:

are too.

Mahdi
01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Not all the time no. Some teams dont always stick to the board, for instance I have my board as;

1. Suh
2. Berry
3. McCoy
4. Bryant
5. McClain
6. Okung
7. Morgan
8. Bulaga
9. Spiller
10. Haden
11. Bradford
12. Dunlap
13. Campbell
14. Dwyer
15. Clausen

Now if Bryant were to fall to us at 9, I would still find it difficult to pass on a Bulaga or even Campbell to select him. Just as I would likely pass on Bradford if the top 9 went exactly how my board is and take either Dunlap or Campbell. Just because I put a guys value as high doesn't automatically make him my pick if he's there. Need and preference do play a role.
Yes need and preference play a role which was exactly my point. My board is set up with the Bills needs in mind. Not just a general value board. Which is why if the Bills were picking #2 based on your board they would select Eric Berry over Russel Okung which would never happen....

DraftBoy
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
How do you know? Berry is one of the rarest safeties to ever come out of college, and he plays a position we could use an improvement at in SS. 2nd best player in the draft over the 6th? Id be hard pressed to pass on Berry.

In my limited knowledge of a war room (which Ive never been a part of) the boards Ive learned about are set up mostly based on value, not on need. Need plays little to no role in the set up process but a much larger role in the selection process.

k-oneputt
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Stop already. Even if the Bills were picking #2 even they would not take Berry . Jauron and Levy have left and there is no way Nix is picking a safety with the 2nd pick of the draft if they had it.

DraftBoy
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Stop already. Even if the Bills were picking #2 even they would not take Berry . Jauron and Levy have left and there is no way Nix is picking a safety with the 2nd pick of the draft if they had it.

You don't know that, and the fact remains when you are presented with the option to take a player the caliber of which hasnt emerged in quite some time, you have to take time to stop pause and think about it at the very least. To immediately dismiss it is how you could potentially ruin your franchise.

THATHURMANATOR
01-28-2010, 02:54 PM
:roflmao:

are too.
Fine I am but I still want them to take Bradford.

k-oneputt
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
You don't know that, and the fact remains when you are presented with the option to take a player the caliber of which hasnt emerged in quite some time, you have to take time to stop pause and think about it at the very least. To immediately dismiss it is how you could potentially ruin your franchise.

That's what the Lions did taking wr's with top-10 picks every year. You see where they are at. Still haven't recovered.

DraftBoy
01-28-2010, 03:53 PM
That's what the Lions did taking wr's with top-10 picks every year. You see where they are at. Still haven't recovered.

No that's not what the lions did.

k-oneputt
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Why the F would the Bills take a safety with the 2nd pick ?

Jauron and Levy are gone. Nix knows how to draft.

k-oneputt
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Det. Lions

2003 2nd pick of draft- wr- C. Rogers
04 #7 wr -R. Williams
05 #10 wr- M. Williams
07 #2 wr- C. Johnson

Yep, they didn't do that. That's exactly what they did, and they still suck.

DraftBoy
01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Det. Lions

2003 2nd pick of draft- wr- C. Rogers
04 #7 wr -R. Williams
05 #10 wr- M. Williams
07 #2 wr- C. Johnson

Yep, they didn't do that. That's exactly what they did, and they still suck.

No they did not take players the caliber of which the NFL has not seen at that position in a a while year after year.

DraftBoy
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Why the F would the Bills take a safety with the 2nd pick ?

Jauron and Levy are gone. Nix knows how to draft.

Same reason anybody would. You are trying to improve your team.

Berry >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Whitner

k-oneputt
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm glad you don't draft for the Bills.

Ingtar33
01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
But not because he's actually worth the pick.

absolutely correct.

he isn't really worth a number 9. value if he played any other position and was comparatively good in it would be around pick 25 i think.

However he plays QB. and is what i think is the best player at that position, and while he might be about a 25th pick in the draft, he plays a position in such high demand, and of such desperate need on our team, if he was there when we came up i'd take him

Night Train
01-29-2010, 05:30 AM
absolutely correct.

he isn't really worth a number 9. value if he played any other position and was comparatively good in it would be around pick 25 i think.

However he plays QB. and is what i think is the best player at that position, and while he might be about a 25th pick in the draft, he plays a position in such high demand, and of such desperate need on our team, if he was there when we came up i'd take him

Understood but boy if he doesn't already have that brittle, broken glass profile we already have in Trentative.

Doesn't feel the blindside pressure and injuries to his throwing shoulder makes me think he is one big gamble, at present.

X-Era
01-29-2010, 06:01 AM
absolutely correct.

Thats why he may drop to us, and I agree, I would take him to. My main concern is his durability... hes gonna get hit up here in Buffalo.

Mahdi
01-31-2010, 07:03 PM
How do you know? Berry is one of the rarest safeties to ever come out of college, and he plays a position we could use an improvement at in SS. 2nd best player in the draft over the 6th? Id be hard pressed to pass on Berry.

In my limited knowledge of a war room (which Ive never been a part of) the boards Ive learned about are set up mostly based on value, not on need. Need plays little to no role in the set up process but a much larger role in the selection process.
K on a team where both lines need upgrading, we have no QB AND we already have a PB safety on the roster and other players who have played well like Whitner and Wilson there is no way we are picking a safety.

I get what yer saying about how good Berry is but he wont be the pick because we have to many holes to fill and there are players in our need positions that have similar value at #2 overall.

Now if Berry were to fall to us at 9 it would be a different story because then you are comparing the #2 OT and the #3 DE overall to a top 5 talent.

My point is that when the Bills put their board together the top players in position of need should be at the top.... as in

Suh, McCoy, Morgan, Okung, Bradford >>>>> Berry.

DraftBoy
01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
K on a team where both lines need upgrading, we have no QB AND we already have a PB safety on the roster and other players who have played well like Whitner and Wilson there is no way we are picking a safety.

I get what yer saying about how good Berry is but he wont be the pick because we have to many holes to fill and there are players in our need positions that have similar value at #2 overall.

Now if Berry were to fall to us at 9 it would be a different story because then you are comparing the #2 OT overall to a top 5 talent.

My point is that when the Bills put their board together the top players in position of need should be at the top.... as in

Suh, McCoy, Morgan, Okung, Bradford >>>>> Berry.

I again disagree even at 2 or 3 Im taking Berry.

Suh > Berry, McCoy=Berry. Berry >>>>>> Morgan, Okung

Berry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bradford

And its not even that close.

Mahdi
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
I again disagree even at 2 or 3 Im taking Berry.

Suh > Berry, McCoy=Berry. Berry >>>>>> Morgan, Okung

Berry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bradford

And its not even that close.
Okung and Morgan are similar to Berry in value, add need to it and the Bills take one of them without even thinking about it.

DraftBoy
01-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Okung and Morgan are similar to Berry in value, add need to it and the Bills take one of them without even thinking about it.

No they aren't even close to Berry in terms of talent or value. Morgan is deficient against the run and Okung isnt even in Jake Long's level of skill from a couple of years ago.