PDA

View Full Version : trent edwards as a starter next year...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
since we have very little options in free agency with vick, pennington, carr... should buffalo be willing to give trent edwards another chance especially with a real offensive coordinator in chan gailey? should he get one more chance?

ps i still think buffalo should draft a qb in rd 2 or 3

kernowboy
01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
new regime, new attitude?

justasportsfan
I doubt it . TE can't throw in the cold.

Slim
I wouldn't be thrilled at all. It wouldn't be terrible if Bills make other positions better (LB, LT) And if Trent out-performs all the other QB's in traning camp, than i have no problem with it.

schubbard
01-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I have always been a big Trent fan, and I believe he had the skills to be a very good QB in the NFL. He may possibly be able to be regain the confidence he had at the beginning of last season. However, a concussion prone QB is a huge problem. How long does the average QB last in this league after a concussion? What's the most ANY QB has lasted after his first serious concussion? I would guess maybe two years. QBs, even with great offensive lines, will get hit.

He may end up being our starter, and he may do a very good job, but I doubt his NFL career lasts more than two seasons as a starter because of the concussion problems... We need to be grooming a new QB of the future.

tampabay25690
01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I think a new coach and the caliber on Gailey he may help TE'S career...
We will see.

Stewie
01-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I want Trent to succeed. I did not like the way he handled things last year. But I can also understand how a young kid can get overwhelmed by his employers overwhelming suckiness.

Ebenezer
01-24-2010, 06:20 PM
he's under contract and cheap so bring him back...but sign a substantial FA and draft a QB high...and the second TE can't cut it - cut him.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
these are your choices...

trent edwards
chad pennington
michael vick
david carr
charlie batch
marc bulger

rookie qb

who do u take?

Night Train
01-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Give him one of those starter guns at a track meet and I'm predicting greatness. Great idea !

Just as long as he's gone from the Bills roster..

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
but who is are qb then? what option do we have? pennington?

acehole
01-24-2010, 07:27 PM
HAHAHAHahhahaha

since we have very little options in free agency with vick, pennington, carr... should buffalo be willing to give trent edwards another chance especially with a real offensive coordinator in chan gailey? should he get one more chance?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-24-2010, 07:30 PM
what is the option? i think we might have to bite the bullett and draft one in the first...

Night Train
01-24-2010, 07:32 PM

Great guess. Chad P and his noodle arm fit the conditions of our stadium perfectly.

Akhippo
01-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I thought he would be the answer. Then I thought he turned into a disaster. I also think that with a solid O Line being so close and a regime change that maybe they cant overhaul his mental game.

With no rookies standing out this year we might as well get the best LB in McClain or get our LT.

elltrain22
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Sorry guys, but when Trent Edwards checked the ball down on last second hail mary play, I checked out ever supporting this guy again. My gut tells me that our new regime shares the same sentiments.

OpIv37
01-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Is it a good option to stay with Trent? No.

Is it the least bad option? Probably.

We desperately need help on OL, LB and DL, as well as QB. That's too many holes for one off-season.

I'd rather concentrate on OL and LB and worry about QB next off-season. Getting a QB without fixing the OL first is just going to result in another shell-shocked QB like Trent, JP, Rob Johnson, etc.

TrEd FTW
01-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Give me Trent over Vick every day of the week.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Is it a good option to stay with Trent? No.

Is it the least bad option? Probably.

We desperately need help on OL, LB and DL, as well as QB. That's too many holes for one off-season.

I'd rather concentrate on OL and LB and worry about QB next off-season. Getting a QB without fixing the OL first is just going to result in another shell-shocked QB like Trent, JP, Rob Johnson, etc.

Unless we can pull something like a trade for McNabb as a 2 year solution to the QB problem, I am inclined to agree Op.

I'd say that if Edwards is going to be a serious candidate for starting QB, we nonetheless sign one of those FAs. Signing them would not be to bring them in as the definite starter, rather just to provide a little more in the way of competition as well as an option in case Trent flames out again.

Alternatively, if they pull some kind of miracle trade to address LT, than maybe I'd be a little more inclined to see them draft a QB at 9.

Joe Fo Sho
01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I'd chose McNabb

djjimkelly
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
edwards sucks stop smoking whatever your smoking

Prov401
01-24-2010, 10:17 PM

trent edwards
chad pennington
michael vick
david carr
charlie batch
marc bulger

rookie qb

who do u take?

If I had to pick on of those, I'd go with Carr.

Billz_fan
01-24-2010, 10:50 PM
May as well stick with Trent until the line is stable. Get the line stabilized and maybe we draft a QB next year. Im almost ready to concede the playoffs for next year also. To many holes to fill then add your injuries and it's to much to overcome.

Philagape
01-24-2010, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't be thrilled at all. It wouldn't be terrible if Bills make other positions better (LB, LT) And if Trent out-performs all the other QB's in traning camp, than i have no problem with it.

That's what would have to happen. And overwhelmingly.
He lost his job, and he deserved it, and he has neither the physical nor mental toughness to be considered an NFL starter. He cannot be trusted back there.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Pass we have seen what he can and cant do i wouldnt mind him as a #2 tho

JCBills
01-24-2010, 11:46 PM

trent edwards
chad pennington
michael vick
david carr
charlie batch
marc bulger

rookie qb

who do u take?

I would opt to go after Jason Campbell regardless of the CBA, if we have to compensate with picks, it's worth it.

Or take a QB early. Clausen and Bradford will either go in the top 10-15 or fall to the end of the 1st round, tough to say whether it's worth it to pull the trigger at 9 or trade back. I prefer Clausen, he has the edge operating out of a pro style offense, and doesn't have an injured throwing shoulder.

I was a huge Trent supporter, but he lost his confidence. He used to stand in the pocket and make tough throws, a lot his TDs were under pressure about to get hit. Then the concussion happened, he hasn't been the same since. A second one doesn't help at all.

I think Brohm has a better chance at being our next starter than Trent.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-25-2010, 12:05 AM
how about give david carr one last chance and give him a good oline with bulaga at lt?? then make fitz and brohm the back-ups. if it doesnt work out, draft qb next year, we would obvioulsy have a high pick if it didnt work out with carr...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-25-2010, 12:07 AM
or give up 2nd and 5th rd picks for mcnabb he would make us set at qb for the next 4 years...

Michael82
01-25-2010, 12:20 AM
No way in hell! I'm sorry, but like him or not Brandon is still in charge of marketing. He didn't get the big name head coach he wanted, so he'll try to get the big name QB. Either way, with how pissed many fans are over the Gailey hire, there's no way in hell you would be able to sell another ****ty Edwards season to the fans. :ill:

NOT THE DUDE...
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
so its mcnabb or wait till 2011 to draft the future savior....

Michael82
01-25-2010, 12:29 AM
so its mcnabb or wait till 2011 to draft the future savior....
or sign some bum FA and then draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round this year...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-25-2010, 12:57 AM
I say we bring in chad pennington, hes the most proven and his arm is stronger than given credit for... he can hold down the fort while we draft dan lefevour in rd 3 and groom him for 2 years...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-25-2010, 02:03 AM
edwards starting next year=:shoothead: :shoothead: :shoothead:

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 02:23 AM
There is no way we should give up draft picks for a fading veteran. We already tried that with Bledsoe.

We could look at a journeyman stopgap QB and hope to get by this season.

We could draft a QB high in the draft but without a proper LT we have Trent Edwards Mk2, and please stop the delusion that we can get one in free agency.

Or maybe we can luck out and draft a unheralded QB on Day3, who after pre-season might be there early on. We might find our own 'Matt Moore' late on and discover that we have got a guy who has slipped through the net.

HopefulBillsFan
01-25-2010, 05:54 AM
I doubt it . TE can't throw in the cold.

I am not a supporter of Trent Edwards however..

Miami 07' in Buffalo.. Freezing. Trent went for 4 TD's

Giants 07' in Buffalo.. "the perfect storm" Trent did amazing in this game up until the 4th quarter when 2 passes bounced off receivers into the hands of defenders potentially marring his stats forever, as this became an on going theme.

YardRat
01-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Edwards has some serious confidence issues to deal with. He's close to being shot. Then there's the lack of leadership issue...that may come, if he gets his confidence back, but I doubt it. Bad weather...poor. I hope he comes to camp and I'll be rooting for him, but he may have already peaked.

X-Era
01-25-2010, 06:04 AM

trent edwards
chad pennington
michael vick
david carr
charlie batch
marc bulger

rookie qb

who do u take?

Trade for McNabb

msfdurango
01-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Edwards is done and I think his team mates have lost respect for him. I don't want to see him in 2010.

dannyek71
01-25-2010, 06:39 AM
I doubt it . TE can't throw in the cold. He cant throw in the warm either

Jan Reimers
01-25-2010, 07:10 AM
David Carr is a good QB who basically had his career, and reputation, ruined by playing behind a terrible O-line with the expansion Houston Texans.

Mahdi
01-25-2010, 08:06 AM

This would be very frustrating and deflating news. Edwards style of play and lack of leadership and character is uninspiring as a player and a fan.

trapezeus
01-25-2010, 10:51 AM
say it together: we need an offensive line. We don't need an allstar QB.

Even if we drafted the studliest QB on the face of the earth, he will fail behind this line play. Build the line, then deal with the QB.

A mediocre QB with adequate protection will make passes on the passing tree at this level. A QB on his back will not, no matter how talented. LINE LINE LINE! No more QB discussions... Let our current roster of QB's take the beating and let a new guy work his way in slowly with a gelled line that knows what its doing.

Akhippo
01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
If the QB of the future is there then you take him no matter what the line looks like. QBs win in this league, and not having one puts you behind. Yeah, you can get a Garrard and run the ball and have him throw a pass or two.

If the QB of the future is there (which is also debateable) you grab him. Or we go lines. But dont bring up the reasoning you dont pick a QB because he may get sacked. "Lets not go with Peyton this year, our RG is coming off injury. Well wait till next year". No

Mahdi
01-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Even if we drafted the studliest QB on the face of the earth, he will fail behind this line play. Build the line, then deal with the QB.

A mediocre QB with adequate protection will make passes on the passing tree at this level. A QB on his back will not, no matter how talented. LINE LINE LINE! No more QB discussions... Let our current roster of QB's take the beating and let a new guy work his way in slowly with a gelled line that knows what its doing.
That's not how it works. If there is an opportunity to take a QB and you dont have one you take him if you think he is a franchise guy. You dont pass on him because your line is not set. GMs don't think that way. You take what you get when you can get it.

Besides we only need a LT to have a solid line.

Nighthawk
01-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Hell no...he must go!

P.S. - And he needs to take Fitz with him...

justasportsfan
01-25-2010, 12:47 PM

If the franchise QB is available, you take him.

dannyek71
01-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Can we just sign Jon Dorenbos as the QB? He can get the snap and just longsnap the ball to the wr down the field.

better days
01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
If the franchise QB is available, you take him.

I am with you the Bills pick at #9 this year this is the time to take a QB if he is there. they can get a OT in the 2nd rnd.

Aliceinchainsbills15
01-25-2010, 02:26 PM

I going to go with a no on this question

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
If the QB of the future is there then you take him no matter what the line looks like. QBs win in this league, and not having one puts you behind. Yeah, you can get a Garrard and run the ball and have him throw a pass or two.

If the QB of the future is there (which is also debateable) you grab him. Or we go lines. But dont bring up the reasoning you dont pick a QB because he may get sacked. "Lets not go with Peyton this year, our RG is coming off injury. Well wait till next year". No

QBs do not win anything when horizontal or on IR

jamze132
01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Outside of trading for McNabb, I would stick with Edwards and Brohm, while drafting a QB on Day2. No one in here knows how Trent or Brian will react to a totally different regime so I am all for finding out. Besides, we can't afford to waste a Day1 draft pick on a weak QB class in 2010. I would wait until 2011 to draft a QB and we should be able to get a good one as we will more than likely be drafting in the top 10, yet again.

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I am with you the Bills pick at #9 this year this is the time to take a QB if he is there. they can get a OT in the 2nd rnd.

Who?

There will be at least 6 LTs taken in R1 and whoever is left will not be starting on Day1 ....

There are at least 17 potential picks of teams who have a clear need for a LT before we draft in R2.

Assuming Okung is gone before we pick, there are 5 legitimate guys who can start from Day1

Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, Charles Brown and Trent Williams.

The chance of us finding one fall to us in R2 is extremely low.

jamze132
01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Who?

There will be at least 6 LTs taken in R1 and whoever is left will not be starting on Day1 ....

There are at least 17 potential picks of teams who have a clear need for a LT before we draft in R2.

Assuming Okung is gone before we pick, there are 5 legitimate guys who can start from Day1

Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, Charles Brown and Trent Williams.

The chance of us finding one fall to us in R2 is extremely low.

Yeah, that dude seems to think that any QB drafted in the Top 10 is guaranteed to succeed.

JD
01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm a Trent supporter until he fails behind a solid offensive line and a proven OC.

Akhippo
01-25-2010, 03:58 PM
QBs do not win anything when horizontal or on IR

QBs dont win if they dont get drafted either. The first step to having your franchise QB win in this league is to actually draft him. Then you move to step 2. Protect him. Then step three. Give him all the weapons he can use.

If you happen to have the line already built (JETS), and then you happen upon your franchise then you are a step ahead.

trapezeus
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
my opinion, mahdi and justa, is that you arent finding a guaranteed franchise guy out of this crop of QB's. you do however have a legitshot at finding your LT even if you don't get the highest ranked guy.

There are 3 LT's that are suppose to be special. The bills don't have a lot of teams below them looking at this spot.

I agree, Mahdi, if there was a peyton manning and a weak LT class, you take the sure fire franchise guy. but the way this draft is lining up, i don't see a can't miss prospect. And with a team as pathetic and barebones as ours. we need to get the best players available to structure a solid team where even a marginal QB can have somoe success.

The current model we have is to have a crap line and have stellar QB play. That is a huge gamble and it hasn't worked. let's go the safer route, get the line set, and let a mediocre QB string together a wildcard playoff appearance. and if that doesn't happen and we suck again, we'll have a good looking line, with 1 year experience and a stud QB at the top of our needs list.

We just need to start crossing off some needs and filling them with capable people.

Philagape
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
QBs dont win if they dont get drafted either. The first step to having your franchise QB win in this league is to actually draft him. Then you move to step 2. Protect him. Then step three. Give him all the weapons he can use.

If you happen to have the line already built (JETS), and then you happen upon your franchise then you are a step ahead.

Arguing over what order to take players in is pointless.

You take the best player on your board at the spot you're drafting in.
If that's a QB, you take him.
If that's a LT, you take him.
If that's a LB, you take him.

That's how you build a team and maximize value.

With a team with as many holes as the Bills, you know you're not going to get all the pieces in one offseason. Expect at least one more year of rebuilding no matter what, so the order of positions is moot.

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 04:30 PM

The first step is the line.

The Colts had Tarik Glenn before they drafted Manning
The Saints took Jamaal Brown the year before they signed Brees
The Eagles drafted Tra Thomas before they picked up Donovan McNabb

There is a pattern in getting your line set especially at LT before going after your QB

better days
01-25-2010, 04:36 PM

With a team with as many holes as the Bills, you know you're not going to get all the pieces in one offseason. Expect at least one more year of rebuilding no matter what, so the order of positions is moot.

I agree , I think this is the way the Bills will draft with the new front office.

TheBrownBear
01-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I used to really like Trent but, imo, the guy is done. I will always believe that the concussions got to him and caused him to "hear the footsteps" before he even took a snap. I feel bad for him because he was showing real progress through his first 20 or so games in a Bills uniform.

better days
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that dude seems to think that any QB drafted in the Top 10 is guaranteed to succeed.
If you read my post, I said you take a franchise QB if he is there. I did not say they should just draft any QB at 9.

Mahdi
01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
my opinion, mahdi and justa, is that you arent finding a guaranteed franchise guy out of this crop of QB's. you do however have a legitshot at finding your LT even if you don't get the highest ranked guy.

There are 3 LT's that are suppose to be special. The bills don't have a lot of teams below them looking at this spot.

I agree, Mahdi, if there was a peyton manning and a weak LT class, you take the sure fire franchise guy. but the way this draft is lining up, i don't see a can't miss prospect. And with a team as pathetic and barebones as ours. we need to get the best players available to structure a solid team where even a marginal QB can have somoe success.

The current model we have is to have a crap line and have stellar QB play. That is a huge gamble and it hasn't worked. let's go the safer route, get the line set, and let a mediocre QB string together a wildcard playoff appearance. and if that doesn't happen and we suck again, we'll have a good looking line, with 1 year experience and a stud QB at the top of our needs list.

We just need to start crossing off some needs and filling them with capable people.
You dont have to take a Peyton Manning.

Cutler, Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco etc are not Peyton yet they have brought talent and stability at the QB position to their teams.

We need a guy that can make all the throws and allow a guy like Gailey to develop him further.

Bradford and Clausen are wayyy above anything we have at QB and taking one of them and a LT prospect in the draft or FA makes our offense exponentially better.

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 05:13 PM
You dont have to take a Peyton Manning.

Cutler, Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco etc are not Peyton yet they have brought talent and stability at the QB position to their teams.

We need a guy that can make all the throws and allow a guy like Gailey to develop him further.

Bradford and Clausen are wayyy above anything we have at QB and taking one of them and a LT prospect in the draft or FA makes our offense exponentially better.

Cutler was protected by Lepsis and then Clady, Ryan by Weiner and then Baker, Sanchez by Ferguson, Flacco by Gaither who learnt from Ogden.

We have Bell.

You need proper LT protection for any QB to have a hope.

Mahdi
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Cutler was protected by Lepsis and then Clady, Ryan by Weiner and then Baker, Sanchez by Ferguson, Flacco by Gaither who learnt from Ogden.

We have Bell.

You need proper LT protection for any QB to have a hope.
Did you read my whole post?

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Did you read my whole post?

But outside of Clausen and Bradford, I cannot see who that would be in the draft who wouldn't take at least 2 years of development unless someone we draft steps up and shocks us all.

If we don't go LT in R1 it will be another 3 years before we have a winning season as the top OT juniors seem to be coming out early.

TacklingDummy
01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
As long as the Bills don't have a QB they will continue to suck. QB has been the biggest position of need for the past 10 years? Any coincidence the Bills have sucked the past 10 years? I think not.

Go ahead and draft a LT or CB with the first pick. Don't come complaining to me when the Bills are 6-10 or worse next year.

Akhippo
01-25-2010, 05:31 PM

So if the best player on the Bills board is a RB that fine. We take him according to you. I figured the argument was strickly between the lineman and QB. If we want to expand this post to all positions then thats a different story all together.

But to ask if you were in a position where say Suh and Matt Ryan were both there. Suh would probably be rated higher on the board, but you would pass up on Ryan if you needed a QB.

Akhippo
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
The first step is the line.

The Colts had Tarik Glenn before they drafted Manning
The Saints took Jamaal Brown the year before they signed Brees
The Eagles drafted Tra Thomas before they picked up Donovan McNabb

There is a pattern in getting your line set especially at LT before going after your QB

So the if the Colts didnt have Glenn they wouldnt have drafted Manning. They didnt get Glenn to get Manning. They didnt know.

Same with McNabb. No No No to McNabb. Our Center is getting up there in age.

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
As long as the Bills don't have a QB they will continue to suck. QB has been the biggest position of need for the past 10 years? Any coincidence the Bills have sucked the past 10 years? I think not.

Go ahead and draft a LT or CB with the first pick. Don't come complaining to me when the Bills are 6-10 or worse next year.

We will be 6-10 if the QB gets the protection he had this season gone

Dr. Pepper
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
is amnesia a new requirement to being a Bills fan???

2009 just called, it wants you to know that trent edwards STILL BLOWS.

Mahdi
01-25-2010, 05:55 PM
But outside of Clausen and Bradford, I cannot see who that would be in the draft who wouldn't take at least 2 years of development unless someone we draft steps up and shocks us all.

If we don't go LT in R1 it will be another 3 years before we have a winning season as the top OT juniors seem to be coming out early.
Well if Clausen and Bradford are gone I wouldn't take a QB with our first pick. At that point I would go pass rusher or LT then take a developmental prospect in the 2nd or 3rd.

SABURZFAN
01-25-2010, 06:07 PM
edwards sucks stop smoking whatever your smoking

it's probably the same stuff you were smoking when you were licking JP's balls.

jamze132
01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
If you read my post, I said you take a franchise QB if he is there. I did not say they should just draft any QB at 9.
I did happen to read your post. And there will not be a franchise QB drafted in the 1st round of the 2010 draft. There might be a few QBs drafted in the 1st, but none of them will be "franchise", unless you consider Joey Harrington a "franchise" QB. Remember this post.

better days
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I did happen to read your post. And there will not be a franchise QB drafted in the 1st round of the 2010 draft. There might be a few QBs drafted in the 1st, but none of them will be "franchise", unless you consider Joey Harrington a "franchise" QB. Remember this post.

Well then where did you get that I thought any QB drafted in the top 10 is guaranteed to succeed? If you are so confident in your ability to evaluate, you should talk to Buddy Nix about a job. Maybe you have better luck looking at film than reading.

djjimkelly
01-25-2010, 06:50 PM

so who is your choice TD

Luisito23
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I'd much rather have a promising rookie start, than see that bum Trent play here again.

Philagape
01-25-2010, 07:12 PM
So if the best player on the Bills board is a RB that fine. We take him according to you. I figured the argument was strickly between the lineman and QB. If we want to expand this post to all positions then thats a different story all together.

But to ask if you were in a position where say Suh and Matt Ryan were both there. Suh would probably be rated higher on the board, but you would pass up on Ryan if you needed a QB.

Obviously not ALL positions ... but the Bills have needs at the three I listed, plus WR, DE, DT. The only two positions I'd say are "set" right now are RB, G and secondary (and RB would be in play if Lynch was dumped). And the kickers. Everywhere else is fair game for upgrade. That's why I said "your" board. Every team's board may be different based on positions they can rule out.
Your hypothetical is tainted by hindsight, so it's unanswerable.

justasportsfan
01-25-2010, 07:20 PM

I don't know if there is a franchise qb in this draft . Brees was not percieved as a franchise qb which is why he fell to the 2nd rd.

Thing is Nix was involved in the Brees draft at that time. He was also involved in drafting Rivers when they thought brees wasn't the answer. This is exactly why Gailey was hired. an offensive mind instead of Frazier or a Rivera.

If Nix and Gailey are on the same page and think our franchise qb is in this draft , then they make the call and draft a qb.

I love the thought of building the OL but who's to say we don't already have them on the roster?

TacklingDummy
01-25-2010, 07:25 PM
so who is your choice TD
Clausmen or Bradford if available at #9.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 03:36 AM
It is a bit like wanting to build a house, and not thinking the foundations are important.

The QB is the flashy exterior and nice rooms designed to impressed the guests

The OL especially the LT, are the foundations on which the house rests, unseen by guests but of vital importance.

Build a house without proper foundations and the house collapses or is never ever as good as you want it to be because it is always surrounded by scaffolding as you do emergency repair work.

Mahdi
01-26-2010, 08:53 AM
It is a bit like wanting to build a house, and not thinking the foundations are important.

The QB is the flashy exterior and nice rooms designed to impressed the guests

The OL especially the LT, are the foundations on which the house rests, unseen by guests but of vital importance.

Build a house without proper foundations and the house collapses or is never ever as good as you want it to be because it is always surrounded by scaffolding as you do emergency repair work.
The reality is that both the QB and the lines are the foundation and everything else is the extras.

It really doesn't matter which one you get first the issue is finding the right ones. If you have a chance at bringing in a QB you think is a franchise QB you do it whether you get the QB first or the LT first it really doesn't matter.

You're not going to pass on Manning or Rivers because you don't have McNeil or Glenn in place.

BillsMan80
01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
How about the thought that this team won't be contending next year anyway. Draft Clausen or Bradford if one or both are there, let him sit a year or about 10 games to learn or so. Then when you finally take your franchise LT next year, your QB has some development. This team ain't winning **** next year so an LT ain't going to make that much of a difference. Draft a QB this year if he's there, take your lumps this year, and then take the best LT prospect available next year. Besides, this year's crop of LT's after Okung have some question marks. Bulaga I think would be a reach at 9. Not sure how "great" Bulaga can be. Anthony Davis is a bit of a project as I have seen him for the last 3 years at Rutgers. Trent Williams is RT prospect who will likely never be able to play LT, and Campbell only made 16 starts in college for a bad Maryland team (do we really want Aaron Maybum all over again)?

trapezeus
01-26-2010, 09:36 AM
even if you take a qb, the bills are in no position to play him out the gate. you'll run into losman/edwards syndrome of breaking him early and getting nothing out of him.

The bills can not afford many more projects since none of them have turned out in 10 years. My point is that a top level LT can play immediately. You already have the makings of a decent interior line. Now we just need that LT.

I even think that vick as a left handed quarterback, buys you time for the line development. butler isn't bad. the LT when he going through rookie mistakes, will have vick see the breakdown before hand.

Yes vick isn't a guy to build around, but he's a stop gap. He's a stop gap just as awful as edwards, fitz, brohm. He gets a 1 year deal (lock out year following so he'll take it). If you drafted a project guy in the 2010 draft, he now has time to learn what gailey is giving him. It makes sense to me.

picking clausen or whoever and asking him to play week 1 with this pathetic line, i just don't see that ending well. And even if they get drafted by other teams and do well, we'll have to look at that team's line play. We can't just say, "so and so took clausen and he's godly." the bills probably couldn't have provided him the levle of protection and run game that a rookie qb needs.

BillsMan80
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I am not advocating take a QB and play him right away. Let him sit him this year. Who cares if we win 3 or 4 games. In the grand scheme of things how many wins could a rookie LT possibly be worth, and then here we are again in the same situation looking for an answer at QB. No more 3rd Round and below QB projects or gems. That is what got this team in trouble was trying to find gems at QB. Get an elite guy in the first round this year if he's there, let him sit this year and learn and then build around him.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
My concern is the best LTs in the 2011 class are leaving as juniors.

The better selection of LTs are in this draft with QBs it is 2011.

We could end up with the worst of both worlds

justasportsfan
01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
even if you take a qb, the bills are in no position to play him out the gate. you'll run into losman/edwards syndrome of breaking him early and getting nothing out of him.

I agree, but thats if you have a defensive idiot who doesn't know a thing about offense like Jauron.

Gailey LOVES to run the ball which could make it easier for the qb to develop. We also have 2 good rb's that could help the qb.

If Nix is as good as advertised in evaluating talent, I trust he'll know if the qb is in this draft.

If Gailey is as good in developing qb's like they said he is, I trust he'll know how to develop that qb.

BillsMan80
01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
The thing is, this team is going to be so bad next year we are going to have our pick of the lot anyway next year. Clausen and Bradford if one of them falls have been a whole lot better and more consistent in college than anyone coming out next year including Mallett and Locker.

better days
01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
The thing is, this team is going to be so bad next year we are going to have our pick of the lot anyway next year. Clausen and Bradford if one of them falls have been a whole lot better and more consistent in college than anyone coming out next year including Mallett and Locker.

This team won 6 games this year with Dick/Perry & a ton of injuries. I think with a real HC & GM & some luck they could win 8 or 9 games next year. I think if a Clausen or Bradford is there they should draft him.

jamze132
01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Well then where did you get that I thought any QB drafted in the top 10 is guaranteed to succeed? If you are so confident in your ability to evaluate, you should talk to Buddy Nix about a job. Maybe you have better luck looking at film than reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justasportsfan
"If the franchise QB is available, you take him."

Posted by better days
"I am with you the Bills pick at #9 this year this is the time to take a QB if he is there."

Then what did you mean by this post?

My point is that, IMO there are no "franchise" QBs in this draft.