PDA

View Full Version : This article has some good quotes about Gailey

BillsWin
01-25-2010, 12:24 AM
http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/sports/grillo-buffalo-bills-newest-coach-earns-favor-many-fans-15627

Don’t believe this hiring is just an exercise in desperation. Gailey has an exceptional mind.

He was let go by Jerry Jones after he coached the Cowboys to a winning record and two playoffs appearances in two seasons. Jones said firing Chan was one of his bigger regrets.
I said the Cowboys would struggle for years after Gailey, and they did.

How about bringing in John Mitchell from the Steelers to run your defense coach?
Does anybody in football know more about the 3-4 you want to install?

Coach, you probably already know the passion of your fans is unsurpassed.
They don’t care if you embrace the media as long as you produce a winner.

Years from now, after you’ve won the Super Bowl, media types in Buffalo can tell their grandchildren, “Chan Gailey once called me by my first name.”

He speaks rather highly of Nix and Gailey.

He seems to think the 3-4 is almost a lock.

He obviously likes the fans of Buffalo.

That Super Bowl comment was a nice end quote.

Ron Grillo :posrep:

ByrdsTheWord
01-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Can the writer of this article make his sentences any shorter and choppier? Tell him to go back to school.

Don't Panic
01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Can the writer of this article make his sentences any shorter and choppier? Tell him to go back to school.

He talks about being around when Bear Bryant was coaching... I'm pretty sure he's been out of school for a few years now.

Good to read the positive, especially from an "outsider".

Nighthawk
01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Gailey will surprise many people...

streetkings01
01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Gailey will surprise many people...Please explain

jamze132
01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
I was never pissed off at the Gaily pick, I did a double take when I first read it, but I am not upset. Disapointed we didn't get Cowher, yes, but I dig the Gaily choice. I think he will instill some friggin discipline in our players which will only help.

Oh, and he's not Dick Jauron.

DynaPaul
01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I'll believe it when I see results. If you remember, people talked highly about Dick Jauron too when he came to Buffalo. People still do talk highly of Jauron.

BillsWin
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Gailey has the right type of attitude to help these young players grow. I'm a little pissed we didn't get a man with a ring, but Gailey wasn't the worse choice possible. He has a winning record and good experience with winning franchises. Let's hope he can turn it around.

BILLSROCK1212
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Gailey is like that underdog team that everyone wants to root for...while the bandwagoners laugh and hope they fail.

Goobylal
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
I'll believe it when I see results. If you remember, people talked highly about Dick Jauron too when he came to Buffalo. People still do talk highly of Jauron.
Um, no they didn't and don't. The best that can be said for Jauron is he's a good and classy guy, and players seem to play hard for him. But that's about it.

Mudflap1
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Um, no they didn't and don't. The best that can be said for Jauron is he's a good and classy guy, and players seem to play hard for him. But that's about it.

DevilPaul is right... no matter whom the Bills hire, there is always an onslaught of billievers who rationalize the choice, even if it's a horrible hire like Jauron. Last week I was pissed about this because I thought (and still do think) that Gailey was a cheap, bottom-feeder hire by Ralph, therefore thinking that everyone was off their rocker for supporting this. While that still may be true, it frankly is what makes Bills fans some of the best... no matter how crappy the team is and no matter how much the fans get abused by Ralph, the fans still show up and have faith that the wagons will be circled again some day.

Philagape
01-25-2010, 06:08 PM
DevilPaul is right... no matter whom the Bills hire, there is always an onslaught of billievers who rationalize the choice, even if it's a horrible hire like Jauron. Last week I was pissed about this because I thought (and still do think) that Gailey was a cheap, bottom-feeder hire by Ralph, therefore thinking that everyone was off their rocker for supporting this. While that still may be true, it frankly is what makes Bills fans some of the best... no matter how crappy the team is and no matter how much the fans get abused by Ralph, the fans still show up and have faith that the wagons will be circled again some day.

But unlike Jauron, there is a considerable positive record, and mitigating circumstances, to suggest that this isn't a horrible hire. At least Gailey didn't coach losers most of the time.
Maybe there's one advantage to being on the bottom of the NFL food chain: Instead of the hot coordinators or big-name coaches -- both of which are far from guarantees -- the Bills end up with under-the-radar guys who may have gotten a bum rap because they're not in the first two categories.

DynaPaul
01-25-2010, 06:28 PM
While that still may be true, it frankly is what makes Bills fans some of the best... no matter how crappy the team is and no matter how much the fans get abused by Ralph, the fans still show up and have faith that the wagons will be circled again some day.

Exactly, just because I and many others don't like this hire, doesn't mean that we're not Bills fans or are jumping off the bandwagon anytime soon. Do I want the Bills to win? Yes. Do I think the FO is doing the best job to get this team on track? No. Am I turning in my fan card? No.

Mudflap1
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
But unlike Jauron, there is a considerable positive record, and mitigating circumstances, to suggest that this isn't a horrible hire. At least Gailey didn't coach losers most of the time.
Maybe there's one advantage to being on the bottom of the NFL food chain: Instead of the hot coordinators or big-name coaches -- both of which are far from guarantees -- the Bills end up with under-the-radar guys who may have gotten a bum rap because they're not in the first two categories.

I agree to a certain point -- I think you are giving Gailey too much credit still. Yes, Gailey took the Cowboys to the playoffs 2/2 years (one of which was 8-8), and Jauron took the Bears to the playoffs once. However, in my opinion that Cowboys team was a lot better overall in those two years than those Bears teams. You can point out that Gailey coached Georgia Tech and, while they were far from elite, he did have a winning record there. That's fine, but it's far from enstilling a lot of confidence in what he can do as the head coach of a poorly run football organization in the NFL. Both Jauron and Gailey were/are being walked into a Bills team that needs a lot of work.

In my opinion, Gailey may be a marginally more qualified/promising hire than Jauron, but that's not saying much.

One thing that may be lost a little in my disappointment for the Gailey hire is the following... Yes, it's possible that Gailey could be a diamond in the rough, just like it was possible with Jauron, Mularkey, etc. Anything is possible. However, I think this organization needs a complete culture change/overhaul, and in order to do that, you need to find the most dynamic guy possible. While Tom Donahoe proved to not be the answer, the idea of Tom Donahoe was the right approach. Hire a guy from a winning organization that can overhaul everything and build a good football operation. Here is a scary thought... the biggest, and I would argue, only reason that the Buffalo Bills have had any success since the early 1980s (over 25 years ago) is that Ralph happened to have literally THE best football executive of the past 25 years as an up and comer in the organization, Bill Polian. Without him, Marv Levy (who did a nice job) doesn't have success with a stacked team of Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers. What does Ralph do? Fire Bill Polian. Bill Polian is the guy that this team ultimately needs to replace, and they never have. Instead, they hired Buddy Nix, a 70 year old, in house promoted, first time GM, and hire Chan Gailey as his head coach, a guy that had no interest in him from the other teams in the NFL as a head coach for the past ten years or so. Maybe Gailey has got something, maybe he doesn't. However, I'm not sure the guy even has a chance because I fear the same old same old may take place in the front office. That's why a guy like Cowher, Shanahan, Schottenheimer, or a young up and comer GM (like what Atlanta did with Dimitroff) was appealing. A fresh set of eyes that commands the front office being brought into the team. That is what was needed. Not a cheap, old hire (even if he has a nice scouting background) as first time GM, with a cheap, under the radar hire as head coach.

northernbillfan
01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Jerry Jones regretted firing him. That speaks volumes as you know what kind of control freak Jones is.

jamze132
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I was never one. I was pissed when Dick was chosen over Martz.