PDA

View Full Version : "IF" we need help...who is expendable?

snow1989
01-25-2010, 02:26 AM
I watch the board...and several don't think we have all the pieces to make a legitimate run at the cup. I'm curious as to who everyone thinks is 'expendable' via trade, ( that might get us some help, either as a package, mixed with picks etc) and maybe a reason.

My 3 off the cuff......

Paetsch: performs alright, but I see him as the odd defensemen out.

Mair: Frankly, nothing special in my mind and hasn't delivered enough physical play
think he's at -5 *shrug*...

Hecht: Has improved of late, but still turn-over prone in my mind and takes a shift off
every so often.

YardRat
01-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Anybody on the lines that hasn't scored 20 goals to date this season.

chernobylwraiths
01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
I think the shorter list is who is NOT expendable.

Here's mine:
Miller - MVP
Myers - future Norris
Butler - young steady
Gaustad - future captain of this team
Grier - yes Grier. no reason to trade him and good leader, tough. I don't think it's a coincidence that this team is playing pretty good since he came back.

Anyone else leaving would not hurt this team right now and there would be reasons why I wouldn't mind seeing any of them leave. Vanek would hurt in the goal production, but would get us the biggest return. He's kind of like Pierre Turgeon or Dave Andreychuck. Roy I wouldn't mind losing and could get a decent return. Then I don't think the trades would really be worth it.

rbochan
01-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Expendable:
Drew Stafford
Nathan Gerbe
Clarke MacArthur
Adam Mair
Chris Butler
Nathan Paetsch
Mark Mancari

I would not move Hecht, Myers, Grier, Kaleta, or Miller. I'd seriously consider anyone else if the right offer was there.

OpIv37
01-25-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm with Chern but I'd add Connolly to the list of NOT expendable. He's the closest thing to a scoring threat we have, and at least he sets others upnwhen he's not scoring himself.

RockStar36
01-25-2010, 07:36 AM
I doubt anybody wants Mair seeing that he want on waivers and nobody put a claim in, same with Paetsch.

Stafford and MacArthur could both be trade bait for all I care.

SabreEleven
01-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Roy can go also, he is highly overated.

snow1989
01-26-2010, 07:51 AM
I'd agree with Roy also

but look...I say something about Mair and he plays a real solid game and gets his first score in vancouver...*laughing*

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I'd agree with Roy also

but look...I say something about Mair and he plays a real solid game and gets his first score in vancouver...*laughing*

One game doesn't change much, in my opinion anyways.

Mair has been fairly useless this season. But yes, he was good last night.

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I won't say Roy is "overrated", but my patience is wearing thin on him and if he can entice another team into a somewhat big trade, I'm all for that right about now.

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
I've done some more thinking about this and besides Connolly, Myers, and Miller, the rest should be fair game if the deal is right and now a dump for prospects.

chernobylwraiths
01-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I would trade Connolly in a heartbeat for a decent offensive player with toughness.

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I would trade Connolly in a heartbeat for a decent offensive player with toughness.

He is the only offensive player who consistently scores. I'd be pissed if they traded him.

bigbub2352
01-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Gerbe
Montador
Sekera
paetsch
hecht
Stafford
Ellis
Roy
Lydman
Tallinder
all expendable in my opnion if 1 or more of these guys can be packaged up to get a proven number 1 center in here or another shut down Dman, or a power forward i am all for it

bigbub2352
01-26-2010, 03:08 PM

i agree
and i dont think Vanek is untouchable either, if u could package him up to get a bonefied superstar in here i would seriously consider it as well

chernobylwraiths
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
He is the only offensive player who consistently scores. I'd be pissed if they traded him.

He's only been scoring the last 15 or so games because Op *****ed about him.

G Wolly
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM

He consistently gets points. I'm still not sold that Connolly is going to keep his gameplay like he has for the past few months.

He can leave without any major complications.

chernobylwraiths
01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Here's how statistics can look deceiving:

Tim Connolly's last 4 games:
Anaheim 1 goal and 1 assist in 5 - 4 loss
goal scored after down 4 - 0 and assist came with six seconds left (garbage points)
LA two assists in 4 - 3 shootout loss
both assists put Buffalo ahead only to be tied later, game over when Connolly didn't score in shootout
SJ one goal in 5 - 2 loss
his goal was first in game but ended up being a garbage point in 3 goal loss
Vancouver one assist in 3 - 2 loss
assisted on goal that tied game in third before loss

So, two goals and four assists in the last 4 games where we got one point. Didn't help much.

OK, I was baiting with the garbage points comment, but that was for Historian I believe who said Vanek only gets garbage points. I think Connolly is playing some of his best hockey in three years right now, but I don't believe it will last and I don't know if he will be able to keep up the play and/or keep healthy through the playoffs. But I am biased because I have never really been a big fan of Connolly.

G Wolly
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I think Connolly is playing some of his best hockey in three years right now, but I don't believe it will last and I don't know if he will be able to keep up the play and/or keep healthy through the playoffs. But I am biased because I have never really been a big fan of Connolly.

My feelings are almost identical. I'm skeptical because of his injury prone history.

So I make it easier on myself by not liking him anyways.

JD
01-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I think the shorter list is who is NOT expendable.

Here's mine:
Miller - MVP
Myers - future Norris
Butler - young steady
Gaustad - future captain of this team
Grier - yes Grier. no reason to trade him and good leader, tough. I don't think it's a coincidence that this team is playing pretty good since he came back.

Anyone else leaving would not hurt this team right now and there would be reasons why I wouldn't mind seeing any of them leave. Vanek would hurt in the goal production, but would get us the biggest return. He's kind of like Pierre Turgeon or Dave Andreychuck. Roy I wouldn't mind losing and could get a decent return. Then I don't think the trades would really be worth it.

Not sure how you leave Connolly and Kennedy off that list. No comments needed about Timmay. Kennedy will be a star some day. :brush:

snow1989
01-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Not sure how you leave Connolly and Kennedy off that list. No comments needed about Timmay. Kennedy will be a star some day. :brush:

I like Kennedy...god knows the kid's heart is usually in the game, but I wish he was a hair bigger...he gets shoved around in the corners a lot, but I admit he's a gamer.

Vanek could be dangled as trade bait, but frankly with the size of his contract and his current numbers I don't see anyone going for it.

RockStar36
01-27-2010, 07:41 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree about Connolly.

I argued last year when he got his extension that is basically a point per game player and has been throughout his career with Buffalo, and he has been this year as well.

If Vanek were packaged for something major, I'd be all for that. For the amount of money he makes, he needs to produce more. I like the guy but facts are facts. He either needs to make 3mil less per season or start producing like one of the higher paid players in the league.

SabreEleven
01-27-2010, 09:12 AM
TIM CONNOLLY IS GOD!!!!!!!!!!

snow1989
01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
If Vanek were packaged for something major, I'd be all for that. For the amount of money he makes, he needs to produce more. I like the guy but facts are facts. He either needs to make 3mil less per season or start producing like one of the higher paid players in the league.

I think that would be the problem with trying to package Vanek...his contract. I'm sure other teams see his numbers and what he's being paid and would want some 'sweetners' thrown in....getting rid of him might come at too high a price depending on who we were going for.

chernobylwraiths
01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I'd trade just about any of the people mentioned except Vanek for Shane Doan