PDA

View Full Version : QB of the future ..... in 2011

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 02:54 AM
The 2011 draft is considered to be currently a deep class for QBs and like many fans here, I wonder if it is not worthwhile fixing the trenches in this draft to look at QB in 2011.

The 2010 draft is considered deep at OT especially LT, with as many as 6 LT going in R1, whilst there is also a number of DTs with at least four likely going in R1 and several more on the cusp.

If the Bills go QB this year, it may well be we get the order of restocking this franchise the wrong way round and discover we over pay in this draft and then overpay next year.

Here's a review of QB talent possibly in the 2011 draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks#page/1

Ingtar33
01-25-2010, 04:52 AM
What you need to see from that list in 2010 (IMHO)

1) Jake Locker - he's physically the best QB in college, with more size then Tebow, the speed of vick (not the moves) and a very strong arm (stronger then any in the current draft). The trick is, he has shown no ability to stand in a pocket and throw the ball. he's more uncomfortable in it then a cat is in water, he doesn't read plays well, and he doesn't throw the ball particularly accurately. He needs to show progress in all 3 areas before he ever makes my 3rd round list (let alone first). We'll see how it goes, only one Jr to Sr QB ever really showed that much progress to me, and that was Carson Palmer.

2) Andrew Luck - Great freshman year, but anyone who tells him to come out after just 2 years is kidding themselves. He might be the next big thing in 2012 or 2013, but it won't be 2011. For a 2011 prospect list this is a terrible start.

3) Ryan Mallett - Think Drew Bledsoe without the accuracy... or vision.. but with the arm. Really, this kid has size. and a massive cannon... and not a lot else. He needs to get more accurate and learn to read a defense before i fall in love with him. thus far of this top ten, this is the one kid who seems most likely to pull off the improvement needed to be a top pick. we'll see later this year...

4) Christian Ponder - i don't know, this is a weird one... you start to get into day 2 guys at this point in his article. His arm isn't great. He's not aggressive enough with the ball. He's just average. The one thing i will say is the kid's accurate. but it's not hard to be accurate when you won't throw the ball away, or deep, or into coverage. not sold this kid will ever be more then a 3rd rounder.. and he probably won't be drafted at all.

5) Terrelle Pryor - any list that includes Pryor as a "top prospect" is made by someone who never actually watched Pryor play. He makes Locker look like a first ballot hall of famer. Sorry. Unless he completely revolutionizes his play, this kid won't be drafted above round 5. This is a classic whiff prediction. no one in their right mind would consider Pryor a possible all-pro at that point. Now... he's just a sophomore, so he could turn it around in the next two years.

6) Jerrod Johnson - ugh... i don't know. It seems like this poster just watched some bowl games or read some box scores and said "this kid is good!" Doesn't look like a pro. Needs one hell of a year to change my mind

7) Scott Tolzien - now he starts to stumble onto a couple of legit maybes. I'm not a big fan of this kid. but i did seem him once last year and had generally a good impression. If he can make significant strides this year he'll be in the discussion for a 3rd or higher. we'll have to see what type of year he puts up.

8) Ricky Stanzi - this kid i do like... and i think a lot of people doing the evaluating do too. He's not amazing yet. But a better senior year with some notable progress, and he'll be up there for a top 10 pick. there is definitely some good vibes about him. He's just a sophomore so he could stay one more year. he has a great Jr year and he'll be the top half of the draft (possibly)

9) Blaine Gabbert - not seeing it. understand however... i only think i've seen a half a game with him... but i'm not seeing it.

10) Case Keenum - not seeing it. loved what he did this year. but he has "college" QB written all over him... not pro.

clumping platelets
01-25-2010, 05:10 AM
I've said this for months............rebuild the lines and LB'ing corp, then go get the franchise QB, either draft a rookie or acquire a veteran via FA or trade

YardRat
01-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Fix the lines first.

Games are won/lost in the trenches. Cliche, but true.

HopefulBillsFan
01-25-2010, 05:49 AM
I would pay myself.. to have Locker.

X-Era
01-25-2010, 05:51 AM
The 2011 draft is considered to be currently a deep class for QBs and like many fans here, I wonder if it is not worthwhile fixing the trenches in this draft to look at QB in 2011.

The 2010 draft is considered deep at OT especially LT, with as many as 6 LT going in R1, whilst there is also a number of DTs with at least four likely going in R1 and several more on the cusp.

If the Bills go QB this year, it may well be we get the order of restocking this franchise the wrong way round and discover we over pay in this draft and then overpay next year.

Here's a review of QB talent possibly in the 2011 draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331063-prestons-2011-nfl-draft-rankings-the-deep-class-of-quarterbacks#page/1
If we are going to over pay for a QB (which I don't totally buy by the way), it wouldn't seem to matter when you do it.

Next years draft may be deeper. But it also hasnt played out either. Prior to this year several though McCoy would be a 1st rounder, as well as Clausen. Some thought we could be looking at 3 QB's going in round 1 and all above 20.

Point is, what if next years draft turns out similar where Mallett drops due to inconsistency, and only Locker ends up being a franchise QB type? Then we have to trade up to get him? Or not take him at all, and then take a lesser guy who isnt a lock to be a franchise QB...

Which makes this years draft about the same.

So while I like the concept of drafting a LT at 9. It doesn't strictly have to be that. And, since we so desperately need a new QB, and they have to be groomed, the sooner we get going, the better. Add in the difficulty in finding a good one, and you have plenty of reasons to go after a guy in this draft.

At 9, I could see Bradford and maybe Clausen being very much under discussion at OBD if they fell.

I guess Ive never been a huge fan of plugging in positions in certain rounds in one draft... let alone future draft(s).

The best scenario, to me is to get either a LT or starting/playoff caliper QB from free agency and then the other from early in the draft.

jmb1099
01-25-2010, 06:10 AM
We could very well have our QB already but we won't know that until the line is made right. I'm not against bringing in a qb either through the draft or free agency but bring him into what exactly? Anyone we put behind the current line will be murdered

DraftBoy
01-25-2010, 07:38 AM
I like the 2011 options better than 2010 but that's not saying a whole hell of a lot.

Some other names to think about;
Pat Devlin-Delaware
Adam Weber-Minnesota
Andy Dalton-TCU
Justin Roper-Montana

ddaryl
01-25-2010, 07:39 AM
There does seem to be lots of OT and DT talent to be had in this draft...

and the QB pickens does seem very thin this year

So IMO the trenches should be addressed early as well as LB, and the Bills should work hard at bringnig in a vet QB as s top gap.

better days
01-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Looking at that list they look no better than this years crop of QB's.

BillyT92679
01-25-2010, 11:48 AM
To me, only Mallett seems like a sure thing from that group... maybe Locker, but I am not sold on him.

The whole won and lost in the trenches is still accurate, but much less so today than even ten years ago. More than ever it's a passer's league... and the Bills need a franchise QB more than anything. QB>any other position I actually like their o-line, if it can get experience and stay healthy.

kernowboy
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
To me, only Mallett seems like a sure thing from that group... maybe Locker, but I am not sold on him.

The whole won and lost in the trenches is still accurate, but much less so today than even ten years ago. More than ever it's a passer's league... and the Bills need a franchise QB more than anything. QB>any other position I actually like their o-line, if it can get experience and stay healthy.

If you don't keep the passer vertical, its irrelevant who's behind centre.

Personally I think Pat Devlin could be a dark horse

BidsJr
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
What you need to see from that list in 2010 (IMHO)

1) Jake Locker - he's physically the best QB in college, with more size then Tebow, the speed of vick (not the moves) and a very strong arm (stronger then any in the current draft). The trick is, he has shown no ability to stand in a pocket and throw the ball. he's more uncomfortable in it then a cat is in water, he doesn't read plays well, and he doesn't throw the ball particularly accurately. He needs to show progress in all 3 areas before he ever makes my 3rd round list (let alone first). We'll see how it goes, only one Jr to Sr QB ever really showed that much progress to me, and that was Carson Palmer.

2) Andrew Luck - Great freshman year, but anyone who tells him to come out after just 2 years is kidding themselves. He might be the next big thing in 2012 or 2013, but it won't be 2011. For a 2011 prospect list this is a terrible start.

3) Ryan Mallett - Think Drew Bledsoe without the accuracy... or vision.. but with the arm. Really, this kid has size. and a massive cannon... and not a lot else. He needs to get more accurate and learn to read a defense before i fall in love with him. thus far of this top ten, this is the one kid who seems most likely to pull off the improvement needed to be a top pick. we'll see later this year...

4) Christian Ponder - i don't know, this is a weird one... you start to get into day 2 guys at this point in his article. His arm isn't great. He's not aggressive enough with the ball. He's just average. The one thing i will say is the kid's accurate. but it's not hard to be accurate when you won't throw the ball away, or deep, or into coverage. not sold this kid will ever be more then a 3rd rounder.. and he probably won't be drafted at all.

5) Terrelle Pryor - any list that includes Pryor as a "top prospect" is made by someone who never actually watched Pryor play. He makes Locker look like a first ballot hall of famer. Sorry. Unless he completely revolutionizes his play, this kid won't be drafted above round 5. This is a classic whiff prediction. no one in their right mind would consider Pryor a possible all-pro at that point. Now... he's just a sophomore, so he could turn it around in the next two years.

6) Jerrod Johnson - ugh... i don't know. It seems like this poster just watched some bowl games or read some box scores and said "this kid is good!" Doesn't look like a pro. Needs one hell of a year to change my mind

7) Scott Tolzien - now he starts to stumble onto a couple of legit maybes. I'm not a big fan of this kid. but i did seem him once last year and had generally a good impression. If he can make significant strides this year he'll be in the discussion for a 3rd or higher. we'll have to see what type of year he puts up.

8) Ricky Stanzi - this kid i do like... and i think a lot of people doing the evaluating do too. He's not amazing yet. But a better senior year with some notable progress, and he'll be up there for a top 10 pick. there is definitely some good vibes about him. He's just a sophomore so he could stay one more year. he has a great Jr year and he'll be the top half of the draft (possibly)

9) Blaine Gabbert - not seeing it. understand however... i only think i've seen a half a game with him... but i'm not seeing it.

10) Case Keenum - not seeing it. loved what he did this year. but he has "college" QB written all over him... not pro.

Stanzi is a Senior this coming year.

He has a chance to to be really good. Excellent intangables.

Jaybird
01-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Locker will be the first player of the board in the 2011 draft.

psubills62
01-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Stanzi is a Senior this coming year.

He has a chance to to be really good. Excellent intangables.

Stanzi is one of the biggest enigmas...win, but win ugly should be his motto. The dude plays great when he needs to, but squeaks by with crappy play when he can as well.

If he becomes consistent, he should be scary good. But as it stands, the guy is way too inconsistent.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
bradford is better than all of those players. if bradford is there u take him. even for people that think locker is better we wont get him because he will be the number 1 pick. if u have the chance at a franchise qb u take him

ByrdsTheWord
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Looking at that list they look no better than this years crop of QB's.

Totally agree. I only see 2 or 3 QBs worthy of a first round pick as of right now. As of right now, Locker and Mallett are the only 2 QBs i see going in the 1st round of next year's draft and I'm not even all that high on Mallett. Locker is a whole different story.

jamze132
01-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't waste a Day1 pick on a QB this year. Get some fat bastards for the lines.

And who the hell knows if Brohm will be any better or worse than any QB in this class. Let's see what we got next season before committing to a Top 10 pick QB.

Night Train
01-25-2010, 03:30 PM
LT in Round 1 this year or we haven't learned a damn thing.

wozrob11
01-25-2010, 08:58 PM
there are some great qb in the 2054 draft lets wait till then to draft one. come on the time is now!!! it starts with a playmaker but if we cant get the guy we want then wait till next year but lets make a move now

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 03:33 AM
there are some great qb in the 2054 draft lets wait till then to draft one. come on the time is now!!! it starts with a playmaker but if we cant get the guy we want then wait till next year but lets make a move now

if we cannot keep the playmaker upright and off IR what exactly is the point? It would be quite easy to get the LT of the future this year in a deep LT class, and then get the QB of the future next year in a deeper QB class.

What you are wanting to do is build a house and not thinking the foundations are important. Just because you cannot see the foundations doesn't make them the most important part.

Build a house on sand and it collapses immediately

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Kernboy both indy and saints have sub par lts, last year, pitt and arz had avg lts... u take the qb then lt in rd 2

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Kernboy both indy and saints have sub par lts, last year, pitt and arz had avg lts... u take the qb then lt in rd 2

Neither Starks of the Steelers (ProBowl I believe) nor Bushrod of the Saints are sub-par. In fact Bushrod's play has been so good, the Saints have a decision to make regarding Jamaal Brown currently on IR who might be switched to RT.

As for the Colts with Charlie Johnson, he has been making solid improvement to the point where the Colts aren't looking at a LT anymore. I agree with you about Gandy but consider this fact.

Warner and Manning have over 20years NFL experience combined. Both have the experience to be able to play behind a less than stellar LT.

When Manning was drafted for the first 7 years of his career he was protected by the brilliant Tarik Glenn, Warner was guarded by Orlando Pace at the height of his skills.

You are asking to throw not an experienced QB but a complete ROOKIE behind a rubbish LT. The two are not comparable.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2010, 05:46 AM
If we are going to over pay for a QB (which I don't totally buy by the way), it wouldn't seem to matter when you do it.

There is no such thing as overpaying for a QB especially when you don't have one. Did San Diego over pay for Brees? The Pats for Brady? Some at the time could say the Steelers overpayed for Big Ben. The fact of the matter is, if the QB turns out to be your next franchise QB than you didn't overpay.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 05:54 AM
There is no such thing as overpaying for a QB especially when you don't have one. Did San Diego over pay for Brees? The Pats for Brady? Some at the time could say the Steelers overpayed for Big Ben. The fact of the matter is, if the QB turns out to be your next franchise QB than you didn't overpay.

The question has to be aside from Clausen and Bradford we are likely to overpay.

Picking at 9, there are at least four teams ahead of us who will be seriously looking at a QB

- St Louis who have no QB and will not pass up the chance to draft a 'franchise' guy no matter how good Suh is

- Washington who may well take the chance to dump Campbell. I cannot see Snyder letting Clausen or Bradford past him

- Seattle who will be looking to replace Hasselback soon and have 2 first rounders so can go for a QB early

- Cleveland, where Holmgren/Mangini may simply decide to clean house and go with their guy

not considering Oakland who may take advantage of no CBA to dump Russell's contract and start over especially as Gradkowski did both knees and won't be ready for next season.

I don't see teams with a clear or impending QB need passing up on a guy especially the Rams and Browns who decided to pass on Sanchez last year.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
The question has to be aside from Clausen and Bradford we are likely to overpay.

Would you consider it overpaying if the Bills picked Locker and he produced like Schaub?

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Would you consider it overpaying if the Bills picked Locker and he produced like Schaub?

He's not in this draft. But I'll take him in 2011

BillsMan80
01-26-2010, 11:00 AM
The top two this year are much more accomplished and polished players. Locker, Mallett, all these guys are are potential type of players. Bradford and Clausen were more productive in college than all these guys as well as the fact that both are more NFL ready than any of the guys in 2011. The class of 2011 QBs are all major project-type players. We need to stop putting off getting a QB. Until this team is steady at QB we will struggle. It doesn't matter if you have a brick wall of a line up front if you have Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick under center. They both suck, and no matter how good the coach, you can make chicken salad out of chicken ****, especially at QB.