PDA

View Full Version : Bills', Raiders' problems start at top

Don't Panic
01-25-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/25/bills-raiders-problems-start-at-top

Another Bills pinata article... although the Ralph stuff is pretty spot on. I tend get defensive after a while... we should make a list of every writer/announcer that demonizes the Nix/Gailey (and by that I don't just mean questions it but flat out calls it stupid) and get back in touch if and when we start producing. It pains me to see some of these schmucks take shot after shot at this franchise, even if SOME of it id deserved. Here's my favorite part of the article:

To Wilson's credit, he did appear to make a concerted effort to hire a heavy hitter to replace Jauron, making pitches to both Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan. But after all was said and done, with new GM Buddy Nix clumsily pulling the strings, the team opted for the nondescript Gailey, who has a decent résumé (he went 18-14 with two straight playoff appearances as the Cowboys head coach in 1998-99) but comes up way short on the buzz meter compared to most of the other so-called candidates for the Bills' job.
"Chan Gailey is a good coordinator, but what has he ever done as a head coach?" said one NFL personnel director. "He couldn't win big games at Georgia Tech. He could not get them over the hump. What led them to believe he will be able to do it in the pros? To me, it really just looks like two good ol' Southern boys (Nix and Gailey) riding out into retirement together."
Making even less of a positive impression than Gailey is Nix, who was promoted to the Bills' GM post on Dec. 31.
"How could the Bills turn the (GM) job over to a buffoon like Buddy Nix?" one league personnel evaluator said incredulously. "I couldn't believe how he handled himself (in the press conference announcing the hiring of Gailey as head coach). I took a look at the transcript after seeing highlights, and my mouth dropped. I don't care what he likes or doesn't like — you can't stand in front of the world and talk like that when you are a GM. Some of the words that were rolling off his tongue were really amazing to me."

DMBcrew36
01-25-2010, 08:23 AM
I think we have all known for a bit of time now that it all starts with Ralph.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
This guy tries to fit everything into his negative agenda, but he totally fails when it comes to Gailey's very good record as both a head coach and coordinator, and Nix's as a talent evaluator.

Those are the roles they are playing on this team, and their demeanor in press conferences, their southern roots, etc. mean nothing.

Dujek
01-25-2010, 08:30 AM
I liked both Nix and Gailey in the press conference. They both came across as exactly what they are, football guys who aren't going to take any **** from anybody.

Don't Panic
01-25-2010, 08:31 AM
One more thing that caught my eye... he quotes another team's personnel guy as saying the Lynch pick was an example of Ralph's meddling. Although I'm not sure if that's true, it does make a little bit of sense since he was not what one would think of as a Marv pick.

ddaryl
01-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I actually prefer a non-stiff style of communication...compared to the suit generated cliche's that seem to roll off the tougues of the polished GMs'

but I haven't even heard Nix talk yet so I really have no idea what htis guy is getting his pants all tied up in a knot for.

and yes it starts with Ralph that is a no chit sherlock

Mitchell55
01-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I love listening to Nixs' press conferances, he sounds pissed off and motivated. Not dull and boring like other GMs

THATHURMANATOR
01-25-2010, 08:50 AM
This guy is just mad that Nix was calling out how most of these reporters and "Sources" are frauds.

don137
01-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Who is to say the source was not someone with the Chargers who has an axe to grind with Nix.

Zero
01-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I liked both Nix and Gailey in the press conference. They both came across as exactly what they are, football guys who aren't going to take any **** from anybody.

I think this article is spot-on. Nix sounded unprofessional to say the very least. To me he sounded like an arrogant clown. I posted this earlier but no way in hell would I let this man take the podium. Oh sure, we fans might see his presentation as a sign of his take no b.s. /no-nonsense style, but in the eyes of the football world it did nothing but hurt our credibility even more.

And why should we care about that you ask? Because as it was painfully demonstrated this off season with the coach search, the outside world's opinion of us will be a significant obstacle to overcome for us should we need to recruit talent (on and off the field) from outside this organization.

DynaPaul
01-25-2010, 11:48 AM
I can't see how you can argue with an article like that. As a fan I'm not going to turn a blind eye to this organization's shortcomings and just go "Rah! Rah!" like others on here. All these writers keep bringing up the same points in these articles and you know what? They're right!

Aliceinchainsbills15
01-25-2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/25/bills-raiders-problems-start-at-top

Another Bills pinata article... although the Ralph stuff is pretty spot on. I tend get defensive after a while... we should make a list of every writer/announcer that demonizes the Nix/Gailey (and by that I don't just mean questions it but flat out calls it stupid) and get back in touch if and when we start producing. It pains me to see some of these schmucks take shot after shot at this franchise, even if SOME of it id deserved. Here's my favorite part of the article:
Def hit the nail on the head there. Good post:cheers:

Night Train
01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I think we have all known for a bit of time now that it all starts with Ralph.

Thank you. :up:

Why are we surprised by any of this ? The PFW comments are nothing more than the Capt. Obvious award winner. We don't need to be told what we see every year.

Now having said that, we have seen crazier things work. Gailey is a COMPLETE UNKNOWN in this present situation and Nix did come across as Boss Hogg in his conference.

Still, Nix can flat out find talent and the roster will probably be better come summer camp. So let's see how this off-season plays out before grading it and worrying about outside perception, which won't change until the wins start happening.

Cleve
01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Here's the best quote

"The inability of Wilson or Davis to entrust good football people to research, evaluate and make the right decisions on their own is what has kept both teams mired in mediocrity."

Ralph Wilson didn't have the ability 30 years ago to build a winning team. Just what makes Wilson think he has it now, pushing 92 years of age with his mental faculties slowly deteriorating?