• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Reviewing the Bills 2009 Draft

by Paul Seebald
    Anyone who’s paid attention to my discussing this year’s Buffalo Bills rookie class can distinguish my belief of it being premature to judge the path each career is heading on. It’s impractical to discern if injuries are an unlucky occurrence or a lingering part of their career (e.g. Jairus Byrd, Eric Wood).

No one knows how a player might respond to a different position, such as a certain first-round draft pick moving to a 3-4 outside linebacker role. Does a feeble rookie season mean the draft pick was wasted and all hope should be given up?

For the purpose of this exercise, I will not be handing out grades for each draft pick based on 2009 performance only. I’ll infuse my comments about their future in the league, but it’s certainly no time to be issuing report cards.
    FULL STORY

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Reviewing the Bills 2009 Draft

I think Maybin will be the #1 beneficiary of a 3-4 switch. I just see the guy as an OLB, plain and simple.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Carpetbagger
      I think Maybin will be the #1 beneficiary of a 3-4 switch. I just see the guy as an OLB, plain and simple.

and yet when we drafted him and during our season when our OLB's were dropping like flies the majority were completely against swtiching Maybin to OLB.. which boggled my mind because you always find ways to get your best players on the field plus he was too small to be a DE in the NFL, that was obvious.

that being said they never did try the move so that clearly stated that Maybin was a wasted pick for 2009

could he turn into something, sure but as of this junction he's clearly wasted pick.

the rest of our draft appears ot be better then previous years

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

If Maybin develops into a quality DE or LB (and a new coaching staff should definitely help), the 2009 draft may turn out to be one of our best ever. It's still too early to tell for sure, however.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Without professing to having any inside information, I'm going to say that I will be really, really surprised if Gailey hires a coach that will switch to a 3-4 defense.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
            and yet when we drafted him and during our season when our OLB's were dropping like flies the majority were completely against swtiching Maybin to OLB.. which boggled my mind because you always find ways to get your best players on the field plus he was too small to be a DE in the NFL, that was obvious.
            I don't think he has the coverage skills to play OLB in a C2, especially at this stage of his career. He may be strictly a 3-4 SOLB... attacking pass rusher and little else.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Without professing to having any inside information, I'm going to say that I will be really, really surprised if Gailey hires a coach that will switch to a 3-4 defense.
              We'll see. The Gailey comments at the presser lead me to believe otherwise, but it is obviously dependent on who he feels the most comfortable with out of the DC candidates.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

We'll see. The Gailey comments at the presser lead me to believe otherwise, but it is obviously dependent on who he feels the most comfortable with out of the DC candidates.
                yeah, I know what he said but I am thinking after evaluating this roster he's going to see how very unequipped this roster makeup is for a 3-4 switch.

I strongly feel (though I don't automatically agree) that this defense will remain 4-3 with a bigger emphasis on just that, getting bigger upfront.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                  only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ddaryl

that being said they never did try the move so that clearly stated that Maybin was a wasted pick for 2009

could he turn into something, sure but as of this junction he's clearly wasted pick.

the rest of our draft appears ot be better then previous years

3-4 OLB is 10X different than a 4-3 DE

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

Switching to the 3-4 alignment is not out of the question. I don't think this roster is much, if any, more deficient than other teams who have previously made the switch. The biggest need, no pun intended, is a good nose tackle who could be had in free agency. There are a few out there this year.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by andyxc71
                      Switching to the 3-4 alignment is not out of the question. I don't think this roster is much, if any, more deficient than other teams who have previously made the switch. The biggest need, no pun intended, is a good nose tackle who could be had in free agency. There are a few out there this year.
                      I continue to believe that this roster is about as far from a 3-4 switch as any roster could possibly be. Yes, we would need an NT, but the greater need in terms of quantity would be at LB.

Without counting on Schobel, who could we use at OLB? Maybin and Chris Ellis...two enormously unproven guys who have never played LB. And then at ILB, the only two guys with the size to play are Poz and Mitchell.

We would have to do a LOT of filling out the roster with LB's. I don't think it's something we can do in one offseason.

As I've stated before, if they want to switch to the 3-4, I think the best route would be to go to a heavy 4-3 (a la NYG) for 2010, then move to a 3-4 the next offseason.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

yeah, I know what he said but I am thinking after evaluating this roster he's going to see how very unequipped this roster makeup is for a 3-4 switch.

I strongly feel (though I don't automatically agree) that this defense will remain 4-3 with a bigger emphasis on just that, getting bigger upfront.
                        Yup. Too many years of drafting 225 pound LB's. A large roster overhaul would be needed to switch to a 3-4, especially at LB.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

if the goal is to win now, you're right, stick with the 4-3, and upgrade upgrade upgrade.

if you are going the typical ralph route of giving the new guy as much slack as he could possibly want in years 1-2, you switch to 3-4 and slowly build it up.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

If u look at the last 4 yrs
                            09 maybin, Wood, Levitre, byrd
                            08 mckelvin Hardy ellis
                            07 Lynch poz Edwards
                            06 whitner mccargo youboty simpson
                            05 parrish everett
                            04 Evans Losman
                            way to many misses!

that is straight horrible that u can pick 2-3 players out of all those picks Hi picks mind u and u can see combined with Guy's ignorance and allowance to sign players like walker docerky etc. why we are so bad

it is embarrissing and we are sitting thru it all over again with the cheap hires that are being thrown in our face..

Cam Cameron was a serious contender for our HC job but Shotty and Billick werent hirlairous
                            makes u want to give up
                            but i wont
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                              !?!?!?!?!?
                              • Mar 2006

Maybin meh Wood yeh Levitre yeh Byrd sleh and the rest nothing more than bench players

meh= maybe yeh=solid/good sleh= potential yes, will he live up to it?? maybe

Comment

Working...
                              X