PDA

View Full Version : Great article about Gailey from his time in Dallas

jcblanco22
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
This article gives you a perspective on Chan's time in Dallas before Michael Irvin got hurt on the Veteran's Stadium turf in the 4th game of the 1999 season, and he was progressively forced to run a significantly watered down version of his scheme because of a rash of injuries at the wide receiver position beyond Irvin's.

Gailey often gets a bad and undeserved rap for how his time in Dallas ended, yet this is some indisputable proof that until the injury bug hit, he was pretty much widely praised for being innovative:

http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/cowboys/identity0927.html

Mudflap1
01-25-2010, 05:14 PM
If he's so great, then why has no NFL team wanted him to be the head coach since Dallas?

Look, I appreciate the article, and maybe there is some truth to it. At least it instills some positive hope. However, there is a reason that Gailey was out of the NFL for years, including last year, and no one has given him a whiff of an NFL head coaching look for about a decade.

I would've been satisifed with Gailey as the offensive coordinator, but I am far from sold that he is the answer for head coach. We have no choice other than to watch and see what happens. I'm just skeptical of all of these "he really was better than what everyone thought" articles coming out ten years after he left Dallas. If he got such a raw deal, then some other NFL team would've at least talked to him about being the head coach. The only other logical explanation is that Jerry Jones blackballed Gailey behind the scenes for years, and for some reason, now feels bad about it. But I haven't seen anything printed like that either.

jcblanco22
01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
If he's so great, then why has no NFL team wanted him to be the head coach since Dallas?

Look, I appreciate the article, and maybe there is some truth to it. At least it instills some positive hope. However, there is a reason that Gailey was out of the NFL for years, including last year, and no one has given him a whiff of an NFL head coaching look for about a decade.

I would've been satisifed with Gailey as the offensive coordinator, but I am far from sold that he is the answer for head coach. We have no choice other than to watch and see what happens. I'm just skeptical of all of these "he really was better than what everyone thought" articles coming out ten years after he left Dallas. If he got such a raw deal, then some other NFL team would've at least talked to him about being the head coach. The only other logical explanation is that Jerry Jones blackballed Gailey behind the scenes for years, and for some reason, now feels bad about it. But I haven't seen anything printed like that either.
This article is from early in the 1999 season, so it does depict the real-time sentiment that was present during the same season he was dumped. What Jones is apologizing for when he sings Gailey's praises in the present day is that he took Aikman's complaints over an offensive system that had to go conservative after wide receivers Irvin, Ernie Mills, and Wane McGarity suffered injuries over what Gailey's whole body of work had been.

I thought it was helpful to look back at an article from the actual '99 campaign that demonstrated how his own players felt about him within the very season he got undeservedly canned.

Mudflap1
01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, the article is mostly this writer's take on things with Dave Campo supplying the quotes. So, from that standpoint, yes, there are saying that Gailey can be unpredictable with his offense. It doesn't really talk anywhere about how good of a head coach he is (or isn't). Again, I would have been comfortable with him being offensive coordinator. As a head coach though, I'm not thrilled about the move. The rest of the NFL was not interested in Chan Gailey as a head coach for the last ten years. OC? Yes, he had a couple of opportunities, although it should be noted his last job was for one year on a team that finished 2-14.