PDA

View Full Version : My latest draft

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Some may find this unusual as that I have a narrow selection of schools I have chosen from but I hope it makes sense.

Firstly I think both Clausen and Bradford will go in the Top8. There are four teams who need a 'franchise QB' and even if that need is not that desperate I cannot see them passing considering their owners, the new regimes in place and the subsequent drop off in talent after these two, I don't think a QB will be there at 9.

Secondly I refer to the comment of Buddy Nix: "If they're good enough, they'll have a chance to be here ... It's hard to throw when you're lying on your back."

Thirdly, I think it will take two years before we are competing for regular playoff visits if not more, so have looked at prospects who will be out in 2011. I think I would rather the team draft at a deep position this draft, rather than find us drafting at a weak position next year, or visa-versa.

Fourthly, I am trading Lynch for a 4th round this year, and a 3rd or 4th round next. He has worn out his welcome and as McGahee went for a pair of 3rds I cannot see the suspension risk that is Lynch getting as much. I see the trade partner as Seattle who need help at DB, RB, and LT but would also like a QB but who lack a 3rd rounder. I see them drafting a QB and a LT in that order in the first round and then a CB in the 2nd leaving RB as a need.

R1. Bruce Campbell LT Maryland, 6ft7 310lbs 4.94
or trade down for Davis or Bulaga. Either way our QB of the future in 2011 is coming into a very nice environment
R2. Trade down for a 3rd and 4th
We need to add depth and due to the poor free agency picks this year need to acquire more picks
R3. From trade down, Rob Gronkoswki TE Arizona 6ft6 270lbs 4.70
A big true TE, allowing us to use Nelson's size and speed (4.54) as a big blocking WR. We have two big targets with enough speed to stretch the field but with the blocking ability to help us release Evans and Fred-x. I don't see any 3rd round WR offering as much
R3. Sean Lee ILB Penn St 6ft2 236lbs 4.78
Would have been a 1st rounder before his injury. If he doesn't work out, we can move him to WLB and look to draft Alex Wucjiak of Maryland next year. One reason I haven't gone McClain who is a great player but a luxury pick with so many other positions which are more difficult to fill
R4. From trade down, Jay Ross DT/NT East Carolina 6ft3 314lbs 5.14
A nose tackle allowing us to play the hybrid where necessary
R4. From Lynch trade, Linval Joseph, DT East Carolina 6ft6 322lbs 5.27
A junior prospect who was part of a very good run defence and who got better and better
R4. CJ Wilson, LE East Carolina 6ft3 284lbs 4.78
A true left end to replace Denney and Kelsay eventually

I often wonder why a team doesn't try to draft talented players from the same college side when available. Having already played together, coaching a unit should make their transition to the pros easier

R5. Naaman Roosevelt, WR, Buffalo 6ft 191lbs 4.49
Considering how Collie and Garcon have done this guy is a sleeper who could have starting potential and being local actually might want to play in Buffalo
R6. James Starks, RB, Buffalo 6ft2 211lbs 4.55
Would have been a 3rd-4th rounder before his senior season shoulder injury. A great back up for Fred-x with good hands and maybe a future starter.
R6 From Peters trade, Mike Kafka, QB Northwestern 6ft3 216lbs 4.92
A guy for Gailey to develop and at least allow us to play the wildcat option
R7 From Simpson trade, Brad Phillips S Northwestern 6ft4 215lbs 4.61
With Wilson and Scott as possible free agents and Whitner a UFA next year, a position of strength could become a position of weakness very quickly. At 6ft4, he helps us overcome our lack of height in the secondary
R7 Cory Jackson FB Maryland 6ft1, 245lbs 4.73
Someone tough to punch holes for Fred-x and Starks, short yardage goal line charges with good hands

And I will call it now and say our R1 choice in 2011 will be a QB. If the 2010 draft works out then we may even have the luxury of sparing one or two picks to move up but personally if Pat Devlin continues to progress at Delaware I would certainly happy to see him selected

The Slave
01-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Love it, except I doubt we'd be picking up a TE that early after nabbing Nelson last year. Nelson's got potential.

I'd rather address another area with the pick.

Other than that, solid job!

I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on Campbell. I've heard some are crazy about this guy. He definitely is a freak of nature. However, others have concern about his technicality and football IQ.

May I get everyone's thoughts on this?

:)

Mahdi
01-26-2010, 08:19 AM
I can't judge this unless I know who went before Campbell. If you passed on Bradford or Clausen I don't like it. If they are gone I like it fine. I also don't like the fact that we haven't chosen a pass rusher early. I'm tired of watching QBs camp out in the pocket.

psubills62
01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Love it, except I doubt we'd be picking up a TE that early after nabbing Nelson last year. Nelson's got potential.

I'd rather address another area with the pick.

Other than that, solid job!

I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on Campbell. I've heard some are crazy about this guy. He definitely is a freak of nature. However, others have concern about his technicality and football IQ.

May I get everyone's thoughts on this?

:)

I like Nelson, but I also like the idea of having two very good tight ends. Think about having Lee Evans and another WR on the field, along with Gronkowski/Nelson, and Fred Jackson. If we could use that as a base set, nobody will be able to tell if we're passing or running because Nelson and Gronkowski are both capable blockers and better receivers.

I'm not nearly as much a fan of Campbell as you are, kernowboy, but I still like this draft. I definitely think we need a LB in the first three rounds...I'm sick of taking 5th round LB's.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I can't judge this unless I know who went before Campbell. If you passed on Bradford or Clausen I don't like it. If they are gone I like it fine. I also don't like the fact that we haven't chosen a pass rusher early. I'm tired of watching QBs camp out in the pocket.

I think the following have a QB need and would take Clausen or Bradford

St Louis - no matter how good Suh is they passed on Sanchez and need a franchise QB

Washington - I cannot see Snyder passing on Clausen or Bradford

Seattle - with 2 first round picks, they could easily draft the QB of the future here especially as no CB is worthy of a top10 pick

Cleveland - there is a good chance Holmgren/Mangini will want to bring their guy in.

Oakland - if there is no CBA they will dump Russell and draft Clausen if he is there at No8

Mitchell55
01-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Why dont we just switch 2nd round picks and get a 3rd and 4th??

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Why dont we just switch 2nd round picks and get a 3rd and 4th??

Because we likely couldn't

If you look at the trades last year - Chicago with Seattle, us with Dallas - trading down from the second round netted a 3rd and 4th .... simply swapping picks wouldn't not represent sufficient value to our trading partner