PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith?

Bone
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Wants to get out of Baltimore and he has what Chan is looking for. Perfect for the slash, strong arm and mobile. Chan's Kordell Stewart v2.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
no

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
No no no

Bone
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
He would make good competition, who else could we get?

Ron Burgundy
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm with ya. I'd like to see Troy here, too.

Jeff1220
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I like Troy a lot, as do most people around Baltimore (you'd be surprised how many people where calling in to sports radio shows suggesting Troy should've been playing in the playoffs - ridiculous as that may be w/a guy like Flacco).

Anyway, I'd love to see him compete for the job in Buffalo, but wouldn't be a fan of putting all my eggs in the Troy Smith basket.

DraftBoy
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Just dont see how he provides any real competition unless we are running the option.

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I should've added an * next to my no no no that said

*I can talk myself into him because I'm desperate for a new starting QB

Ron Burgundy
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
He's a better option than Brohm. I also like him better than Fitzpatrick (who is and always will be a career backup) and Trent more than likely is done in Buffalo.

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
To be honest, I have nothing against the guy. Just the college he attended.

Jaybird
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Troy is worth a look. I would not bring him in and hand him the rock right away, If he can earn it then so be it

DraftBoy
01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
He's a better option than Brohm. I also like him better than Fitzpatrick (who is and always will be a career backup) and Trent more than likely is done in Buffalo.

How do you figure he's better than Brohm?

Ron Burgundy
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
To be honest, I have nothing against the guy. Just the college he attended.

Are you still pissed about 2002?

Ron Burgundy
01-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Because Brohm's awful?

Look, Troy's shown that he can be effective in an NFL football game, he's still young, and he's got some tools. In addition, that "winner" quality that everybody tries to suck out of Tebow's **** is all over Smith, too.

Brohm's shown that he can be effective at not being wanted by the rest of the NFL, and at not beating out Matt Flynn for a backup job.

Bill Cody
01-26-2010, 12:16 PM
YES!

Tatonka
01-26-2010, 12:30 PM
i definately think we should give troy smith a chance at competing.. he wouldnt cost that much and we have nothing to lose.

RockStar36
01-26-2010, 12:39 PM

No.

I just generally don't like the school.

Jaybird
01-26-2010, 12:48 PM

CANES should have won, much better team

Ron Burgundy
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
No.

I just generally don't like the school.

Columbus is a flat, soul-sucking, gray smorgasbord of blehhhhh.

CANES should have won, much better team

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn'ta. That was a killer squad, though.

Mitchell55
01-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I cant believe how many people hate this idea. I made this thought not to long ago and everyone thought it was great

bigbub2352
01-26-2010, 01:55 PM
i think if he comes cheap bring him in, we need competition here, Brohm Fitz and troy can battle it out for backups if we draft our guy,
if not they can battle it out to see who is starter

It better than trent edwards and gibran hamden

madness
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
i definately think we should give troy smith a chance at competing.. he wouldnt cost that much and we have nothing to lose.

Seriously. If we're going to give Brohm a chance why not give another unproven a chance? The worse that could happen is that one steps up and benefits from the competition.

Bone
01-26-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't get why people are so high on Brohm, what has he done since hes been drafted to show that hes something more then a bust.

DraftBoy
01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Because Brohm's awful?

Look, Troy's shown that he can be effective in an NFL football game, he's still young, and he's got some tools. In addition, that "winner" quality that everybody tries to suck out of Tebow's **** is all over Smith, too.

Brohm's shown that he can be effective at not being wanted by the rest of the NFL, and at not beating out Matt Flynn for a backup job.

Im still confused about the bolded parts;
When did he show he could be effective exactly? He has only two career starts with a 1-1 career record. His career numbers are the following;
48-89, 54.8%, 558 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, Sacked 5 times, and a 79.7 Rating

And what winner quality? You mean from his time at Ohio State? I dont care about what a kid did in college after four years of being in the NFL. Troy Smith has only attempted 13 passes in the past two years combined.

Measurables aside, to say Smith is better than Brohm is quite a stretch at this early point. Especially when Brohm has less experience,a better college career, and has show at least some ability recently unlike Smith.

BILLSROCK1212
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I LOVE the idea, not for a permanent starter, but as a stop gap type of guy/experiment....he's no better or worse than Mike Vick at this point

Stewie
01-26-2010, 05:03 PM

because he's better than Brohm.

elltrain22
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I'd give him a shot, but wouldn't give up much to get him. They can have our 7th rd pick, and I'll take a shot.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Hes is better than Trent or Fitzs IMO why the hell not???

Night Train
01-26-2010, 05:27 PM
He's 5-11 with lifts.

You'd have to roll him out like Flutie and basically run the shotgun all the time.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Personally you might as well look at Kellen Clemons or Travaris Jackson who would at least come free.

And Brodie Croyle might get a look due to his prior history with Gailey

THATHURMANATOR
01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
When did he show he could be effective exactly? He has only two career starts with a 1-1 career record. His career numbers are the following;

And what winner quality? You mean from his time at Ohio State? I dont care about what a kid did in college after four years of being in the NFL. Troy Smith has only attempted 13 passes in the past two years combined.

Measurables aside, to say Smith is better than Brohm is quite a stretch at this early point. Especially when Brohm has less experience,a better college career, and has show at least some ability recently unlike Smith.
Brohm won the heisman too? :idunno:

BILLSROCK1212
01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Personally you might as well look at Kellen Clemons or Travaris Jackson who would at least come free.

And Brodie Croyle might get a look due to his prior history with Gailey
I wouldn't mind a Croyle experiment.

ByrdsTheWord
01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Brohm won the heisman too? :idunno:

Heisman doesnt mean jack squat. Its a meaningless trophy at the NFL level.

DraftBoy
01-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Well when you put it that way...

jamze132
01-27-2010, 01:39 AM
You guys realize that according to ESPN, this thought of Troy Smith coming to Buffalo came from Donte Whitner's Twitter... :rofl:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

While the Buffalo Bills remain somewhat in the mix for Michael Vick -- the team's been called a "dark horse" candidate as far back as the middle of the regular season -- perhaps they're barking up the wrong tree. Another option, less accomplished in the NFL but less controversial, may be a better match.

Via Twitter on Tuesday morning, Bills safety Donte Whitner made his suggestion: "I think we should get Troy Smith to be our Qb, please!" He then added, "Troy is a proven winner and leader! Joe Flacco is the franchise in B' More its only right....I watched the guy sit behind Justin Zwick....."

clumping platelets
01-27-2010, 01:45 AM
:no:

snow1989
01-27-2010, 01:57 AM
I don't see any big reason not to bring him...what could it hurt? I think Trent is done here...if for no other reason his continued health might be an issue, he seems to be easily injured. As far as Hamden..who the hell is this guy?? *chuckle* he's been on the reserve or roster and he's never made a splash....time to dump him.
Fitz and Brohm? I'd say they're in the mix....hell, anybody behind our O line would have had issues.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-27-2010, 01:59 AM
i know many people me included really dont want to draft a qb but we have no choice... just draft clausen or bradford or tebow and do what u can in rd 2 to get a lt...

snow1989
01-27-2010, 02:15 AM
i know many people me included really dont want to draft a qb but we have no choice... just draft clausen or bradford or tebow and do what u can in rd 2 to get a lt...

I don't think it's a matter of not 'wanting' to draft a QB, its a matter of drafting the right one and this class is fairly weak at QB....having a player perform average when he's a 3rd, 4th round pick is one thing....but as a 1st, 2nd rounder they should excel....look at McCargo....had he been a 4th rounder, people would say...ahh, he didn't work out....as a 1st rounder...it's more like a lynch mob..:lol:

Billz_fan
01-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Come on man !!

no :D

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2010, 07:28 AM

Exactly. 50% winning percentage and a 3:1 touchdown to interception ratio.

It's a small sample set, but it's already better than any quarterback on the roster. Give him some starting time...or at least a chance to compete for it...and we'll see where he can go from there.

That's not accurate. He's only been in the league three years. And he hasn't had much of a chance to do anything, with ol' Flaccido stamped in as a starter after Troy's illness.

And I really think a guy who'd back Brohm over Smith wouldn't dismiss college success, since that's ALL that Brohm has going for him.

You're gonna call Troy out for not showing much and then say "Brohm has shown some ability lately?" Ability to what? Keep on a practice squad instead of bagging groceries?

No, it's not really a stretch at all, because Brohm hasn't done anything, except lose a gift-wrapped backup job.

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2010, 07:29 AM

The short answer...but still correct.

SABURZFAN
01-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Wants to get out of Baltimore and he has what Chan is looking for. Perfect for the slash, strong arm and mobile. Chan's Kordell Stewart v2.

never thought about this until i read your thread. i find it to be very interesting. he doesn't have the size that teams want but he could probably do a better job than Edwards. wasn't he the starter until he had his tonsils removed or something?

DraftBoy
01-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Exactly. 50% winning percentage and a 3:1 touchdown to interception ratio.

It's a small sample set, but it's already better than any quarterback on the roster. Give him some starting time...or at least a chance to compete for it...and we'll see where he can go from there.

That's not accurate. He's only been in the league three years. And he hasn't had much of a chance to do anything, with ol' Flaccido stamped in as a starter after Troy's illness.

And I really think a guy who'd back Brohm over Smith wouldn't dismiss college success, since that's ALL that Brohm has going for him.

You're gonna call Troy out for not showing much and then say "Brohm has shown some ability lately?" Ability to what? Keep on a practice squad instead of bagging groceries?

No, it's not really a stretch at all, because Brohm hasn't done anything, except lose a gift-wrapped backup job.

When 50% wins something more than a 10th spot in the draft call me. Im not impressed. If you give Brohm another start then we can accurately compare the two. I do enjoy how you dismiss Smith's issues with accuracy, no need to throw the ball accurately in the NFL.

The point overall is that nobody knows how either one of these guys is going to turn out, and most likely both turn out to be nothing. Key difference is we have Brohm and he doesnt cost us a valuable draft pick to play here where as we'd have to trade for Troy Smith, and I dont believe he's worth a trade right now. Now if he goes non-tendered as an RFA today then I have no issue signing him but trading for an undersized inaccurate athlete playing QB? No thanks.

trapezeus
01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
if we wanted a mobile QB who was too short and was really just a better run option than throw option, we have that guy on our roster already. his name is roscoe parrish.

Philagape
01-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Seriously. If we're going to give Brohm a chance why not give another unproven a chance? The worse that could happen is that one steps up and benefits from the competition.

No, the worst that could happen is that they both suck and Edwards/Fitz remains the status quo.
That said, I don't care who they bring in if they cost nothing.

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2010, 11:41 AM
When 50% wins something more than a 10th spot in the draft call me. Im not impressed. If you give Brohm another start then we can accurately compare the two. I do enjoy how you dismiss Smith's issues with accuracy, no need to throw the ball accurately in the NFL.

The point overall is that nobody knows how either one of these guys is going to turn out, and most likely both turn out to be nothing. Key difference is we have Brohm and he doesnt cost us a valuable draft pick to play here where as we'd have to trade for Troy Smith, and I dont believe he's worth a trade right now. Now if he goes non-tendered as an RFA today then I have no issue signing him but trading for an undersized inaccurate athlete playing QB? No thanks.

I don't quite get the "10th spot in the draft" thing. I agree Troy's got some rough spots. He's not perfect, and I never said he was. I have no idea if he's good enough to start in Buffalo, but I do think he's got potential.

He's just better than Brohm is all, and we know Fitz isn't a starter.

And the fact that Troy will require compensation, while Brohm was available for any team on earth to pick up, should probably tell you something as well.

If the draft pick to trade was low enough, I'd be all about it. What pick would we have to give up to get him, d'ya think?

DraftBoy
01-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't quite get the "10th spot in the draft" thing. I agree Troy's got some rough spots. He's not perfect, and I never said he was. I have no idea if he's good enough to start in Buffalo, but I do think he's got potential.

He's just better than Brohm is all, and we know Fitz isn't a starter.

And the fact that Troy will require compensation, while Brohm was available for any team on earth to pick up, should probably tell you something as well.

If the draft pick to trade was low enough, I'd be all about it. What pick would we have to give up to get him, d'ya think?

Also Brohm being a FA and every other team having a shot at him doesn't mean he sucks, you know that. Plenty of players have struggled one place and gone on to flourish in others.

Id say at least a 5th, Baltimore has no other backup really and really doesnt have a need to trade him.

Bill Cody
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
if we wanted a mobile QB who was too short and was really just a better run option than throw option, we have that guy on our roster already. his name is roscoe parrish.

I forget, what year did Parrish win the Heisman at QB? The last too short Heisman winner we had here coincided with something....what was it....oh yeah I remember...it was the last time we sniffed the playoffs.

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Also Brohm being a FA and every other team having a shot at him doesn't mean he sucks, you know that. Plenty of players have struggled one place and gone on to flourish in others.

Id say at least a 5th, Baltimore has no other backup really and really doesnt have a need to trade him.

See, I'm fine with a 5th or lower, and I bet it could be a 6th.

I can't think of too many second round draft picks that got dumped on the practice squad and then went on to glory. I'm sure they're out there, and if you happen to remember any of them, I'd love a refresher.

DraftBoy
01-27-2010, 12:07 PM
See, I'm fine with a 5th or lower, and I bet it could be a 6th.

I can't think of too many second round draft picks that got dumped on the practice squad and then went on to glory. I'm sure they're out there, and if you happen to remember any of them, I'd love a refresher.

Im fine with a 7th or nothing, but not above that.

Ebenezer
01-27-2010, 12:30 PM
personally, I have no trouble with them bringing in 10 QBs...increase the chance of finding somebody competent.

RockStar36
01-27-2010, 12:38 PM
personally, I have no trouble with them bringing in 10 QBs...increase the chance of finding somebody competent.

If you buy enough lottery tickets, one is bound to be a winner.

Iehoshua
01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I forget, what year did Parrish win the Heisman at QB? The last too short Heisman winner we had here coincided with something....what was it....oh yeah I remember...it was the last time we sniffed the playoffs. :bf1:

Post of the year!

Griff
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
he would have to earn it.