PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR- Bills already have had "something in works" for DC

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Once I get confirmation I will post this as a full report, but I can now tell you that I spoke to a very reliable NFL insider who told me that " I know they had something in the works for their DC yesterday"

Also: "waiting to find back if a deal has been done"

I do not know who the person (coordinator) is and frankly I don't care. Im not trying to "break" news on any specific hire.

I will say I've been told that Bates has been their top choice, but I do not know if this is in reference to Bates or someone else right now.

The person I got the information from isn't giving me a name, in all probability Because it would be his scoop and not mine.

The only reason I can possibly fathom the Bills not announcing yet whomever the coordinator is, is because he's quietly trying to get his own coaches together.

I've also been told a Bills defensive coach has already been retained, and I THINK that is George Catavolos.

So after covering an important local basketball game this evening (Grover and Lackawanna) I'll be filing a report and am willing to take some heat if not true.

Demon
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I like Catavolos. Just not enough to promote him to D.C. He will be a D.C. soon though. Donte Whitner (yeah, take it for what its worth) said on twitter not too long ago the best coach on last years staff was by far Catavolos.

THATHURMANATOR
01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Who?

T-Long
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
I like Catavolos. Just not enough to promote him to D.C. He will be a D.C. soon though. Donte Whitner (yeah, take it for what its worth) said on twitter not too long ago the best coach on last years staff was by far Catavolos.
I dont think he means Coach C. as a DC, but to retain his position as DB coach

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice Pat thanks for the info. You were almost right about a DC being named today, should be tomorrow at the latest.

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Who?

Im not going to get involved in the typical 10,000 questions that led to bashing on this thread. But I will answer that.

I honestly don't know.. yet

IF I say a name at this very moment it would be a guess just the same as anyone else.

The only thing I am now reporting is that a deal "has been in the works" since yesterday

Dicknoze69
01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd be surprised if it's Bates because we just hired a OLB coach and typically you don't have a OLB coach for a 4-3 defense and that's all Bates has coached.

I think Giff Smith's hiring strongly suggests a 3-4 defense and hiring someone who runs that, probably Fangio.

Also, didn't the Ravens announce Pees' hiring yesterday? The timeline fits, and the Ravens said we'd have an announcement on Fangio's football future "soon".

THATHURMANATOR
01-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Im not going to get involved in the typical 10,000 questions that led to bashing on this thread. But I will answer that.

I honestly don't know.. yet

IF I say a name at this very moment it would be a guess just the same as anyone else.

The only thing I am now reporting is that a deal "has been in the works" since yesterday
Ok cool man. I will keep checking in.

Demon
01-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I dont think he means Coach C. as a DC, but to retain his position as DB coach

Yeah i know. I was just saying.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I'd be surprised if it's Bates because we just hired a OLB coach and typically you don't have a OLB coach for a 4-3 defense and that's all Bates has coached.

I think Giff Smith's hiring strongly suggests a 3-4 defense and hiring someone who runs that, probably Fangio.

Also, didn't the Ravens announce Peas' hiring yesterday? The timeline fits, and the Ravens said we'd have an announcement on Fangio's football future "soon".

Ya this actually makes a lot of sense in what your saying. If true I would be freaking pumped.

Demon
01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
The thing i don't get is, your source is so open to tell you they are in discussions yet he doesn't know who????

Does this source have inside info or is he speculating (assuming) based on the Smith hire (you usually hire a DC first, then position coaches) and based on Thurman's twitter saying a D.C. should be named this week?

T-Long
01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
The thing i don't get is, your source is so open to tell you they are in discussions yet he doesn't know who????

Does this source have inside info or is he speculating (assuming) based on the Smith hire (you usually hire a DC first, then position coaches) and based on Thurman's twitter saying a D.C. should be named this week?
Didn't you read Pat's post? He said that the source knows the name, but wants to report it, thus not giving it to Pat.

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 04:13 PM

I think anyone would be out of their mind to pay an ounce of attention to a Thurman THomas tweet anymore.

And-- yes.. That is what I'm telling you.. The person I talked to did confirm that the Bills have had a "deal in the works" since yesterday, and did not give me a specific name.

Since I said he's a "NFL INsider" my assumption is its a competitive business and he doesn't want to take a chance of a minor leaguer scoring a scoop from underneath him.

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I have to go.. Im covering a big HS hoops game (Grover at Lackawanna)

If I can get wireless there I will hopefully have an update soon.

If not it will be later this evening. Of course by then this could be old news anyway so we'll see.

Demon
01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Didn't you read Pat's post? He said that the source knows the name, but wants to report it, thus not giving it to Pat.

Somehow i missed that sentence. lol

So, this source is a reporter? I'm even more confused. The source has to be Mark Gaughan. That dude only hints and then gets it right. lol

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Somehow i missed that sentence. lol

So, this source is a reporter? I'm even more confused. The source has to be Mark Gaughan. That dude only hints and then gets it right. lol

I never said "source" and I'll leave it at that ;)

T-Long
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking it's probably Tim Graham...he's been in the works with Sal and Pat on other stuff...that's my only guess who would know some of this kind of info.

Unless Pat has it in better with Mort or Scheffter, but I don't think he has that type of relationship yet with those guys...but I hope I'm wrong. The closer he gets to them, the better for all of us.

Jaybird
01-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I never said "source" and I'll leave it at that ;)

if it's not a source, maybe it's the FORCE????

mush69
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
I won't believe till I hear it from the Chef!

:cheers:

Philagape
01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Someone track down Joe Logan ...........

YardRat
01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
The new GM has been hired, and he in turn has hired a new head coach. Isn't it obvious that 'something is in the works' for a DC??

BillsWin
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Someone track down Joe Logan ...........

Joe Logan is gone.

Only the legend lives on...

mrbojanglezs
01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
screw logan we need to track down bill cowhler

X-Era
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
The new GM has been hired, and he in turn has hired a new head coach. Isn't it obvious that 'something is in the works' for a DC??

:lol:

Once you step away, it does seem that simple.

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Despite my statement earlier than Bates has been the BIlls top choice all along, it's not going to be him that gets the job according to my guy.

And at least for me, I consider this absolutely astonishing---- but it seems like we should be getting ready for the 3-4 defense.

And NO, I honestly don't know who the guy is yet.

bills4ver
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
It has to be Vic Fangio, makes perfect sense. They Ravens replaced him with pees and said we will make a statement about his coaching future soon...

This would be a solid hire, 3-4 defense with 24 years of exp. under his belt.

Who else could it be for 3-4?

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
This is a DIRECT quote I got..

"Well, I got this much, Patrick: They're going to a 3-4."

nolimit
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Hell yeah. this is what I have been waiting for. Now lets get the players to make this defense nasty again.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-26-2010, 07:59 PM

good news... Gotta draft defense with the first

we need...
~ A big NT
~ A LB or 2

mrbojanglezs
01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
sign wilfork

Dicknoze69
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM

I think the hiring of an Outside Linebackers coach is strong, strong evidence of this.

BillsWin
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Pat, I hope you don't mind but I quoted you in my blog post earlier this evening.

And I can tell you now that Pat has released the info, Bates is NOT the name I am hearing the Bills really like and Gailey has wanted to move to the 3-4 all along.

So Pat just confirmed the information handed to me this morning. Now here is some extra stuff from my blog post.

The Bills however are tight lipped. But we have heard one thing. Gailey covets the 3-4 and would love to see it run in Buffalo. Since his hiring he has been talking with the past staff and players, as well as watching film on his new team to determine whether or not the switch is possible.

Know that A. Don’t rule anyone out because they run the 4-3 or 3-4,
B. Gailey would rather have the 3-4 if it is possible.
C. A hiring should be made within the week.

If they hire the guy I am hearing it is, it will be an aggressive 3-4 defense.

madness
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
It's got to be Vic. That is awesome.

DesertFox24
01-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Pat,

Thanks for the updates I believer there are a large majority of us who understand the difference between message boards and what you actually post on your site as news.

I for one appreciate the information which either turns out to be true or in some cases not true (not a bash at you in anyway). You post what you hear or some opinions and some of the time it turns out to be truen Geoff Hangnail etc.

Thanks boss.

For the individual that want to attack the guy, we all know his name and how to contact him. Which I am willing to bet is far more personal information than you are willing to put out there. To debate with him is one thing, to call him out for not posting on his website is another, this forum is for opinions and rumors not facts.

nolimit
01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey Pat, I hope you don't mind but I quoted you in my blog post earlier this evening.

And I can tell you now that Pat has released the info, Bates is NOT the name I am hearing the Bills really like and Gailey has wanted to move to the 3-4 all along.

So Pat just confirmed the information handed to me this morning. Now here is some extra stuff from my blog post.

can u drop the name you are hearing?

Jaybird
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM
if this news is true, we will see some trades made with our current d-lineman

patmoran2006
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM

I don't have a name I'm hearing or I'd be reporting it myself..

I don't even wanna say the Raven's former LB coach, because I know how the Bills operate and on selection will surprise me.

But I'm confident enough in my guy to report the Bills ARE switching to a 3-4, which was anything but a given (and I"m still in shock about that)

and I"m standing by what I said earlier, and now with even better reason; that the Bills already have their guy and haven't announced it, and i dont know who it is, or why its like CIA secret right now.

DesertFox24
01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
If this is true consider Terrance Cody a lock at 9.

NT is the MOST important part of the 34 and he will be a great two down guy, we can then go into FA and try to get Hampton or Pickett, or use Lonnie Harvey who we signed two weeks ago (6'3 342).

Jaybird
01-26-2010, 08:20 PM

NT is the MOST important part of the 34 and he will be a great two down guy, we can then go into FA and try to get Hampton or Pickett, or use Lonnie Harvey who we signed two weeks ago (6'3 342).

cody will not be the pick at 9, my guess is he might even be around for our second round pick. He showed up out of shape at the senior bowl

X-Era
01-26-2010, 08:23 PM

His stock has been dropping since early this season, at 370 and with that photo of his "physical condition" floating around, I could see him dropping even out of the 2nd round.

BillsWin
01-26-2010, 08:23 PM

No, it is out of professional courtesy for the man who told me. He told me to keep it off the record. So it will stay off the record unless he gives me the green light.

But by then, it should already be made public.

Here is the deal though.
He runs the 3-4.
He seems like he'd make a great defensive coordinator here.
I'd happy with it, if this guy gets officially signed here.

Even if he told me I could tell people, I don't want to look like a complete moron if I were to break this and it was wrong.

For example, my Jason Garrett announcement and that was from multiple sources and good ones too, that the Bills intended to contact him and even still, they hired Gailey a day later.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
the 9 pick must go to the qb spot, if tebow , clausen and bradford are gone by 9 then take bulaga...

WeAreArthurMoates
Awesome Pat this kicks ass. Thanks for the info.

BillsWin
I looked like a complete dumbass with that Garrett thread when Gailey was signed and was extremely pissed at myself and those involved with passing me the bogus information.

I intend not to let that happen to me again.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Screw Cody, just take Cam Thomas in the 2nd.

mrbojanglezs
01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
No, it is out of professional courtesy for the man who told me. He told me to keep it off the record. So it will stay off the record unless he gives me the green light.

But by then, it should already be made public.

Here is the deal though.
He runs the 3-4.
He seems like he'd make a great defensive coordinator here.
I'd happy with it, if this guy gets officially signed here.

Even if he told me I could tell people, I don't want to look like a complete moron if I were to break this and it was wrong.

For example, my Jason Garrett announcement and that was from multiple sources and good ones too, that the Bills intended to contact him and even still, they hired Gailey a day later.

vic fangio

DesertFox24
01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Lonnie Harvey video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STi4DT1nE3M&feature=fvw

Also on Terrance Cody today.

Yeah I watched practice today and yeah he was just throwing guys around. One guy can not block this guy from collapsing the pocket it will take two every time freeing up our LBs.

Cody a lock stock and barrell, and then we will trade back into the first for TIMMY TEBOW. Tell you what I was not a fan but you have to like what you saw and his production I think he could be a good one if he gets the correct coaching. His numbers will never be stellar but I think he will lead us to wins.

DesertFox24
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Screw Cody, just take Cam Thomas in the 2nd.

Like him too but I think we can get him in the third.

I also like McClester from Ole Miss, but I will let Chan decide what to do with Roscoe since he is signed till 2012. Maybe now he can get on the field and either show us something or get out of town.

I love my U players.

Jimmy Graham another guy I like but I doubt Nix takes because of his production speech; however, I would love Pitta from BYU. He might not be a blazer but the guy gets open and will catch the ball and is a good blocker him and Nelson could be nasty.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Is the guy your hearing someone who's coached before or a rookie DC.

Ferrygoat
Rolando McClain in the 1st, Mount Cody in the 2nd

TedMock
cody will not be the pick at 9, my guess is he might even be around for our second round pick. He showed up out of shape at the senior bowl
Agreed. Also, not all 3-4's are run the same. You can still cheat a NT to one gap and use a big ILB to fill. I'm fine with that since Stroud & Williams are still capable in that role. McClain still makes sense at 9 if that's the case. He makes sense in most defenses though. I'm also fine with a big 2-gap Vince Wilfork. It will be interesting to see which way they go.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Like him too but I think we can get him in the third.

I also like McClester from Ole Miss, but I will let Chan decide what to do with Roscoe since he is signed till 2012. Maybe now he can get on the field and either show us something or get out of town.

I love my U players.

Jimmy Graham another guy I like but I doubt Nix takes because of his production speech; however, I would love Pitta from BYU. He might not be a blazer but the guy gets open and will catch the ball and is a good blocker him and Nelson could be nasty.My favorite player from the U is Jason Fox. Love that dude, if Clausen or Bradford slips, snag one of them in the first, grab Fox in the 2nd and then Cam Thomas in the 3rd.

BillsWin
01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
We'll see in the next few days WeAreMarshawn 23. I won't say another word on the subject.

Although I am happy Pat has verified the switch to the 3-4. Makes me excited.

DesertFox24
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Agreed. Also, not all 3-4's are run the same. You can still cheat a NT to one gap and use a big ILB to fill. I'm fine with that since Stroud & Williams are still capable in that role. McClain still makes sense at 9 if that's the case. He makes sense in most defenses though. I'm also fine with a big 2-gap Vince Wilfork. It will be interesting to see which way they go.

Ask the jets how that one gap NT worked out before Kris Jenkins arrived, or San Fran or Denver.

The weakness of the 34 is run stopping but if you get a massive 1 gap NT who will just occupy blocks on 1 and 2nd down he will free the LBs up to run to the RB for short yardage up the middle. Also with the OLBs we should have more speed on the outside and be able to stop the off tackle stuff (IN THEORY).

In order for our defense to not be a complete joke we need to make finding a NT priority 1.

priority 2 is another rush OLB and second ILB if not mitchel (I think Mitchel could do it and is big enough)
priority 3 is DEs clearly we need some bigger DEs williams is 6'2 and McCarge is 6'1, spencer Johnson is 6'3 so he could be an option and is athletic. Kelsay could add 10 to 15 pounds and be a RE option, Chris Ellis maybe. Stroud could be a LE but his better days are behind him but he proved me wrong in 08.

Lets put it this way if all we draft is OL and defensive front 7 this draft I will not be disappointed one bit.

Ickybaluky
01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
No way Cody lasts until the 2nd round, unless he gets caught in a drug sting or something.

I understand the kid is fat. So wasn't Ted Washington. So isn't Shaun Rogers. He is just like those guys, with a giant frame, a long 6-5, and rare athleticism for that size.

The fact is, few humans on the planet can carry the kind of size Cody does and still display the athleticism to play DL in the NFL. That is the bottom line. I'd pretty much guarantee the Pats would take him if he were to drop to #22. I'd bet Miami might take him at #12, considering they have to replace Jason Ferguson.

All the pre-draft talk is going to be how this kid hurt himself by being out-of-shape. It is all talk, it means nothing. He has first round pick all over him, just because he is a rare commodity.

Granted, he will only play about half the defensive snaps, but he will draw the double-team and anchor a defense. Just like he did at Alabama.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
We'll see in the next few days WeAreMarshawn 23. I won't say another word on the subject.

Although I am happy Pat has verified the switch to the 3-4. Makes me excited.

Hahaha, thanks, sorry for trying to squeeze more out of ya.

jamze132
01-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Rolando McClain in the 1st, Mount Cody in the 2nd
That's the best idea I have read on here and I was thinking the exact same thing. If OBD is serious about switching immediately to the 3-4, these two guys could go a long way in making the transition smoother and faster.

TedMock
01-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Ask the jets how that one gap NT worked out before Kris Jenkins arrived, or San Fran or Denver.

The weakness of the 34 is run stopping but if you get a massive 1 gap NT who will just occupy blocks on 1 and 2nd down he will free the LBs up to run to the RB for short yardage up the middle. Also with the OLBs we should have more speed on the outside and be able to stop the off tackle stuff (IN THEORY).

In order for our defense to not be a complete joke we need to make finding a NT priority 1.

priority 2 is another rush OLB and second ILB if not mitchel (I think Mitchel could do it and is big enough)
priority 3 is DEs clearly we need some bigger DEs williams is 6'2 and McCarge is 6'1, spencer Johnson is 6'3 so he could be an option and is athletic. Kelsay could add 10 to 15 pounds and be a RE option, Chris Ellis maybe. Stroud could be a LE but his better days are behind him but he proved me wrong in 08.

Lets put it this way if all we draft is OL and defensive front 7 this draft I will not be disappointed one bit.
I don't disagree with any of this. I think we are just talking about two different versions. My point is that just because it's a base 3-4, there are different versions, systems, schemes, etc & we can begin the 3-4 transformation with a slightly different style. Similar to Dallas, for example. Of course at the end of the day, like you, I would prefer the big 2-gap DT at the nose.

DBrown77
01-27-2010, 05:32 AM
My source says the Bills have something in the works for a QB Coach, Special Teams Coach, RB Coach, WR Coach, TE Coach......etc, etc.

I will now tell my source....common sense!

Sorry, had to have a little fun there

RockStar36
01-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Any word yet? I heard this was supposed to be done yesterday.

Forward_Lateral
01-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Marty S or Bill Cowher for DC!!!! :rofl:

RockStar36
01-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Marty S or Bill Cowher for DC!!!! :rofl:

Did Joe Logan say something?!?!?!?!?!?

jamze132
01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh man! The Cowher watch is back on!!!!!

ByrdsTheWord
01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I looked like a complete dumbass with that Garrett thread when Gailey was signed and was extremely pissed at myself and those involved with passing me the bogus information.

I intend not to let that happen to me again.

I told you your post was Spam.