PDA

View Full Version : Clayton says 2nd rounder for McNabb

X-Era
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Hes talking about the Vikes if Favre leaves. Also saying Vick has an option that the Eagles may or may not pick up. If not he may be restricted.

Why should we not pay a 2nd for McNabb?

McNabb is better day one than any rookie and could last another few years while we groom our new guy.

Still lets us grab another position like LT at 9.

elltrain22
01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
I would give up a 2nd rounder all day, any day for McNabb.

Mahdi
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Hes talking about the Vikes if Favre leaves. Also saying Vick has an option that the Eagles may or may not pick up. If not he may be restricted.

McNabb is better day one than any rookie and could last another few years while we groom our new guy.

No brainer. QB spot filled for 3 or 4 years till we get a franchise guy.

X-Era
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I would give up a 2nd rounder all day, any day for McNabb.

It seems a bit high for me, but at the same time, it instantly gives us relevance at the QB spot, and still allows us to address another need in round 1.

Philagape
01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
A second in a second.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
A 3rd an an 5th would do

kingJofNYC
01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
His career is winding down, we can't afford to give a pick, we aren't in a position to compete. If we had the pieces in place I could understand making a play for him.

X-Era
01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
A second in a second.

So, let me state it again a bit differently. a 2nd is too much for me normally, but in our current situation, and with what we think is available at QB in the draft this year, id say lets do it.

Maybe a 3rd and a 6th or 5th would do it too. I think we have two 6th's and 2 7th's.

Yep we do:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=187017

X-Era
A 3rd an an 5th would do

Just beat me to it.

Jaybird
I'm all for it.

X-Era
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
His career is winding down, we can't afford to give a pick, we aren't in a position to compete. If we had the pieces in place I could understand making a play for him.

I knew there would be this opinion.

I can understand this take.

However,

This lets us take a new QB in this draft or in any of the next few without tanking our seasons. It buys us time.

As Bills fans, we ought to know by now that we may not land the right new QB prospect this time either.

I like this idea a lot.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
If all else failed i would give a 2nd because i think he would bring us to 9-7 him alone get a LT in the 1st and a LB via FA and were fight there IMO

YardRat
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd rather give up a second for McNabb than use the same pick on a rookie.

X-Era
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
BTW, hes 33, and I see no reason he cant go for another 3 or 4 years. That may give us 2 more chances to land the right future QB without risking canning our seasons in the meantime.

Night Train
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I posted this 2 weeks ago after the Philly beatwriter said Philly will ask for a 2nd and accept a 3rd.

Clayton just picked this up now ? :rolleyes:

X-Era
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I'd rather give up a second for McNabb than use the same pick on a rookie.

:clap:

Thank you!

That, to me, is the best argument.

Who in the 1st round, let alone 2nd round can, day one, bring what McNabb could bring day one? No one.

And you get to draft that LT, DT, or LB that you want without taking that chance.

X-Era
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I posted this 2 weeks ago after the Philly beatwriter said Philly will ask for a 2nd and accept a 3rd.

No thunder stealing intended, didnt see that.

But, even better. a 3rd is an absolute no brainer.

A guy like Campbell or Bulaga in round 1, a LB like Spikes in the 2nd, and McNabb? are you kidding me?

Dicknoze69
01-26-2010, 05:27 PM
I think McNabb for a 2nd is a no-brainer. You get 3-4 years of McNabb as QB while we try to find a young QB. If you take Pike, LeFevour, etc. in the 2nd round they don't match McNabb's production right away, in my opinion.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
At the end of his career, McNabb will insist on going to a team with a chance of going to the SuperBowl.

Or he could choose to retire like Jake Plummer and we lose a R2 pick.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-26-2010, 05:30 PM
but we are getting Tebow with our second

IM JUST KIDDING DONT HAVE A HEART FIBULATION

Akhippo
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
I dont know the price per position, but do you think a swap of seconds would suffice. Maybe add in a late round pick. That way we dont lose a potentially valuable pick and pick up McNabb. I would do that TODAY.

We would have to move rather quick before a Favre or Warner decide on retirement.

wmoz11
01-26-2010, 05:32 PM
At the end of his career, McNabb will insist on going to a team with a chance of going to the SuperBowl.

Or he could choose to retire like Jake Plummer and we lose a R2 pick.

The only problem with that, is teams contending for the Super Bowl don't need quarterbacks. Or at least won't spend a 2nd on them.

I do, however, think Philly will give McNabb a chance to approve the trade (like KC did with Gonzalez). I think there's little chance he wants to come here, but who knows.

kernowboy
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
The only problem with that, is teams contending for the Super Bowl don't need quarterbacks. Or at least won't spend a 2nd on them.

I do, however, think Philly will give McNabb a chance to approve the trade (like KC did with Gonzalez). I think there's little chance he wants to come here, but who knows.

If Favre retires, then the Vikings need a QB as they have Rosenthals only as Jackson is a UFA

Midwesternbillsfan
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=185815

Hey, I was on top of this, too. But I'm a pretty obscure and infrequent poster around here, LOL, so I can see how it went overlooked.

BTW- Let's not forget that the Eagles really are capable of playing hardball; Russ Brandon couldn't even trade for the Eagles' first 1st-round pick (21st overall) as part of the deal for a 27-year old, 2-time Pro Bowl left tackle in Jason Peters. Anyway, anything less than a mid-2nd I don't believe the Eagles will deem sufficient, never mind what we think or the pundits say. And even though Philadelphia is naturally reluctant to trade McNabb to a conference rival, I really can see the Vikings and McNabb's former offensive coordinator Brad Childress ultimately being willing to trade their very late 1st-round pick (30th overall) to ensure that their 2010 fate isn't left to the subpar abilities of Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels (or so that Minnesota's not left hoping and praying that Brett Favre opts to return; can they really afford to suspend their offseason once again waiting on his (in)decision)?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
i would give them a 3rd and 5th maybe, maybe a 2nd...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
the vikings can afford to give up their 1st because they have no needs.... lets just draft clausen or bradford. lets get our own franchise qb

wmoz11
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
If Favre retires, then the Vikings need a QB as they have Rosenthals only as Jackson is a UFA

Good point. That's probably where he'll end up, then.

Philagape
01-26-2010, 06:09 PM

If the Bills score with a LT in the first, the offense is suddenly transformed.

That will tremendously help the defense, by keeping it off the field and actually giving it leads in the fourth quarter, which plays into its strengths. Then the D just has to stay healthy.

McNabb and a stud rookie LT make the Bills instant playoff contenders.

Typ0
01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
McNabb is good but I gotta wonder if he'd last even one start on this team...

ByrdsTheWord
01-26-2010, 06:12 PM
He's not the QB he used to be and he can't stay healthy. I'll pass.

Yasgur's Farm
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
A Bills 2nd rounder is worth around 490 points... Vikings would be 284 or 292. That's about a 200 point swing. I would propose Bills 2nd for McNabb plus Eagles 3rd.

X-Era
01-26-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=185815

Hey, I was on top of this, too. But I'm a pretty obscure and infrequent poster around here, LOL, so I can see how it went overlooked.

BTW- Let's not forget that the Eagles really are capable of playing hardball; Russ Brandon couldn't even trade for the Eagles' first 1st-round pick (21st overall) as part of the deal for a 27-year old, 2-time Pro Bowl left tackle in Jason Peters. Anyway, anything less than a mid-2nd I don't believe the Eagles will deem sufficient, never mind what we think or the pundits say. And even though Philadelphia is naturally reluctant to trade McNabb to a conference rival, I really can see the Vikings and McNabb's former offensive coordinator Brad Childress ultimately being willing to trade their very late 1st-round pick (30th overall) to ensure that their 2010 fate isn't left to the subpar abilities of Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels (or so that Minnesota's not left hoping and praying that Brett Favre opts to return; can they really afford to suspend their offseason once again waiting on his (in)decision)?

I didnt catch it sorry.

VeggieMan14
01-26-2010, 07:24 PM
trade for him and resign T.O :jerry:

better days
01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
No thunder stealing intended, didnt see that.

But, even better. a 3rd is an absolute no brainer.

A guy like Campbell or Bulaga in round 1, a LB like Spikes in the 2nd, and McNabb? are you kidding me?

If McNabb wants to play another 4 years & would agree to a contract, I would be happy if the Bills gave up a 3rd & a 6th for him. Get er done Buddy.

dannyek71
01-26-2010, 07:36 PM
No unless he agreed to a contract extension beforehand.

While DM would be a good QB for us now, we obviously need to build for the future.

Ingtar33
01-26-2010, 08:31 PM

a 2nd rounder for a 1 season rental?

no thank you.

Ground Chuck
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Give them a 4th and the choice of any QB on our roster.

Beebe's Kid
01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
We are talking about Donovan McNabb. Look at this guys track record. He would be our best QB since Kelly. If he would sign on for 3 years, you can't miss. I say give them the 2nd. Then, if the Vikes get froggy throw in a late round pick.

The Vikes are a problem for the Eagles. In Philly's eyes they are trading him to Siberia if he comes to B-Lo, and they are getting high picks.

McNabb would have a chip the size of the Ben Franklin Bridge on his shoulder when he got here...I am getting all worked up just thinking about it.

We are a real franchise again if we can make this move.

Vick had mentioned in an interview that he has learned more about being a QB in the NFL under McNabb than he had up until his season on the pine in Philly. McNabb tutors Brohm. We win again.

This move makes too much sense to me. To be worried about a draft pick, which means a year of them sitting behind Ryan ****patrick... then they actually have to beat the odds and become a real-life quality NFL QB? McNabb it is.

DrGraves
01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Mcnabb would retire before he ever would play for this disaster of a team...

G Wolly
01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Mcnabb would retire before he ever would play for this disaster of a team...

New decade, New staff, new possibilities.

Why wouldn't he wanna come here? He would have no fear of losing his job.

Griff
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM

so you'd rather we draft a young guy who won't perform at expectations from day one and is run out of town before the end of the 2011 season?

clumping platelets
01-26-2010, 10:09 PM
How about Lynch and a 4th? :D