• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Bills will switch to 3-4 defense

If wrong I"ll take the beating.. Won't be my first, or last. Anyway

I spoke to an insider this evening with privileged knowledge of the Bills organization that much to my astonishment, tells me the Buffalo Bills are going forward with plans to switch to a 3-4 defense in 2010.

“Well, I got this much, Patrick: They’re going to a 3-4.” he said.

Who that coordinator turns out to be I don’t yet know, though I reported this morning my belief that a guy had already been selected, and the 3-4 switch adds credence to it.

Still, I’m utterly surprised the Bills would proceed with the switch. I’m in agreement with Gregg Rosenthal of NBC Sports, who said a few days ago “we can’t think of a roster in the NFL less suited to play a 3-4 than Buffalo.”

If the Bills really are in the midst of a defensive philosophy change, that could lean the job towards former Baltimore linebackers coach Vic Fangio, who’s now free to pursue a job after the Ravens signed former Patriots coordinator Dean Pees.

Meanwhile, a rumor is circulating down in Georgia the Bills have already hired former Georgia Tech defensive line coach Giff Smith to coach the linebackers. If true, this would lend further confirmation that the Bills are switching.

Presumably Smith would be brought in to teach Maybin how to play rush linebacker in a 3-4 as well as Aaron Schobel, assuming he doesn’t retire.

Why the Bills are being so secretive throughout the process, much as they were during the head coaching search is a mystery. The insider I spoke to either doesn’t know the identity of the new coordinator or is waiting for confirmation to report on himself; but he’s confident enough to state we’re going 3-4 and I’m equally confident in him to report it—and take the heat if wrong.

“I know they had something in the works for their DC yesterday (Monday) and I’ve been waiting to hear back from one person to see if there was or wasn’t a deal.” he said.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
    • Jan 2010

Re: Bills will switch to 3-4 defense

well this means terrence cody or dan williams will be our pick in the 2nd...

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
      • Jan 2010

they better go shopping and trading during the FA if they expect to be relevant with a 3-4 switch

Comment

• BillsWin
        man amongst boys
        • Oct 2008

I can verify that the man the Bills hold in "high regard" for the defensive coordinator position runs the 3-4 and also that it has been a goal of Gailey's to switch to the 3-4 and he has been trying to figure out if he has the personnel to run it or which direction he can take to get said personnel.
        I am The Batman.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
          • Jan 2010

pick up jarvis green as de and then casey hampton or aubrayo franklin as nt...

.................................stroud...franklin...green.......................................
          .................maybin......mitchell.......poz...............schobel..........

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
            • Jan 2010

draft derrick morgan possibly with the first pick im guessing. another beast at olb... if schobel retires morgan will be our first pick then cody in the 2nd...

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              • Jan 2010

also dont rule out mcclain

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

This is the ONLY OPINION I am offfering that is my actual opinion.

IF this ends up holding true, I will be completely shocked. That's a hard transformation in only one year, especially when you need key offensive peices.

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

I am excited that Pat has verified the switch. Think of all the possibilities we now have to go after offseason wise.

This will be a completely different team.

Probably not going to be very good for another season, but things should be headed in a direction instead of circling mediocrity.
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• Jaybird
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    This is the ONLY OPINION I am offfering that is my actual opinion.

IF this ends up holding true, I will be completely shocked. That's a hard transformation in only one year, especially when you need key offensive peices.
                    The packers did it, and it worked for them.

FYi i have no problem playing the 4-3

Comment

• Griz78
                      • Sep 2002

Maybe it's me or someone can explain better...

Kyle Willams is too small for a 3-4 End because his arms are too small?
                      Mitchell and Poz would be engulfed?

Other teams put some lesser known guys in their lineups.

Jets used that Devito guy for a Nose Tackle
                      Ravens used Justin Bannan at DE and Ellerbe? 220 lbs at ILB

But who knows maybe we trade Williams, his value is at it's highest probably.

Maybe if someone can explain better it would help. I honest ly thiink this change is because of Maybin. Gailey was probably knocked off his rocker seeing him getting blocked with one arm playing DE.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Does anyone know candidates other than the Baltimore guy cause I **** you not when I tell you I don't know they already have or are in the process of locking down.

I"m not holding out, I really dont know, and really don't want to guess.

Comment

• Jaybird
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Griz78
                          Maybe it's me or someone can explain better...

Kyle Willams is too small for a 3-4 End because his arms are too small?
                          Mitchell and Poz would be engulfed?

Other teams put some lesser known guys in their lineups.

Jets used that Devito guy for a Nose Tackle
                          Ravens used Justin Bannan at DE and Ellerbe? 220 lbs at ILB

But who knows maybe we trade Williams, his value is at it's highest probably.

Maybe if someone can explain better it would help. I honest ly thiink this change is because of Maybin. Gailey was probably knocked off his rocker seeing him getting blocked with one arm playing DE.
                          you do not change your scheme because of one player

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                            • Feb 2009

I really don't believe that far off to make the switch. Or DT's are built to be 3-4 d ends, Schobel and Maybin are more suited to play linebacker and Mitchell, Poz seem great fits in the middle. We really only lack a NT but Lonnie Harvey could be a gem. Numerous all pro NT's have been late round gems and undrafted NT's practice squad players.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                              !?!?!?!?!?
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                              pick up jarvis green as de and then casey hampton or aubrayo franklin as nt...

.................................stroud...franklin...green.......................................
                              .................maybin......mitchell.......poz...............schobel..........
                              franklin and green sounds realistic

Comment

Working...
                              X