We must draft a Left Tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We must draft a Left Tackle

For many years the Bills have been guilty of drafting flashy skills players and forgetting the basics. In the period 2003-05, we drafted McGahee, Losman, Evans and Parrish, didn't even start two of these guys in their rookie seasons, yet felt that as a team we were good enough to have the likes of Mike Gandy start.

Yet the moment we get a new GM and Head Coach, the call goes out to draft a QB despite the awful difficulties we have on both lines.

Clausen and Bradford are very good players but are not the guarantees the likes of Stafford and Ryan were. Clausen really only turned it on in his last season and even then couldn't win in the big games, whilst Bradford missed his junior season so all we have is his sophmore production is a system which will require him to transition to the pro game.

We also have a QB on are roster in Brian Brohm who was as heralded in college yet has had a tough ride since being drafted. He is criticised for being beaten out by a lower drafted QB to be a backup but now we are placing him in a situation where he has a Head Coach with a track record of developing QBs, giving him a better line than the one he faced in Atlanta where he had Aaron Ramsey and Kirk Chambers defending his edges and are calling to give up on him immediately? No wonder this team hasn't gotten anywhere.

I also think trading a high pick for McNabb would be a bad idea. He may have a couple of years in the tank, but recently he has suffered numerous injuries despite having decent OTs and if traded to someone who won't be an immediate contender he may well just retire. There are young QBs available like Jackson, Croyle and Clemons who Gailey might also enjoy success with and who could compete with Brohm

Fans should consider that Nix/Gailey will almost certainly get at least two years. The Bills will remain uncompetitive in Free Agency if there is one and have not suffered well here before so Nix will focus on the draft. Nix is right in saying teams do not really go BPA but actually focus on acute need. And as Nix has eloquently stated

"It's hard to throw when you're lying on your back."

This draft should start at Left Tackle, and then go for the rest of the draft on the DL, LB, and then maybe later on some skills players. Once the team have got the meat and potatoes in place this year, then 2011 can be used on a QB but ONLY IF our QBs fail this year. Fans will point out that the SuperBowl QBs this year are guarded by lower drafted LTs but there are two key differences

1) The QBs combined have 20years+ experience with quick releases and are able to read defences quickly. A rookie does not have these skills yet. He needs 5secs to get rid of the ball, an experienced guy 3secs. Those 2secs are all the time it takes to get flattened
    2) Those LTs aren't first year starters. Neither flunked the way Bell has in their first year of starting. You occasionally find a lower round gem but to rely on that is insane

I understand the clamour for a QB but its like wanting to buy a brilliant engine and then put it in a rubbish car. No matter how good it is it won't work. Our QB will be our most important player but it is absolutely ESSENTIAL we place him in an environment where he will have time to succeed rather than throw him to the Wolves.
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
    • Jan 2010

Re: We must draft a Left Tackle

even though pennington has a weak arm, he is still competitive and can keep us in games. he is a stop gap option, hes the best option we have out there. its LT or bust. bulaga should be there and he reminds me a lot of jake long. i want to see us build up the trenches first like the dolphins did 2 years ago.

1 jake long ot
    2 phillip merling de
    2 chad henne qb
    3 kendall langford de

we can take a qb in rd 2 or 3 and develop him.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
      even though pennington has a weak arm, he is still competitive and can keep us in games. he is a stop gap option, hes the best option we have out there. its LT or bust. bulaga should be there and he reminds me a lot of jake long. i want to see us build up the trenches first like the dolphins did 2 years ago.

1 jake long ot
      2 phillip merling de
      2 chad henne qb
      3 kendall langford de

we can take a qb in rd 2 or 3 and develop him.
      Personally John I think if we brought in Chad, we might as well develop Brohm for a year, who'd have as much potential as any 2nd or 3rd rounder.

If he didn't work out then we can spend our R1 in 2011 on a QB and even if he had to start immediately he would do so behind secure protection.

I think our DL is ok for another year or so, so I might be tempted to draft DL at the start of Day3, but get a LB and a WR/TE for Chad a little higher on Day2

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
        For many years the Bills have been guilty of drafting flashy skills players and forgetting the basics. In the period 2003-05, we drafted McGahee, Losman, Evans and Parrish, didn't even start two of these guys in their rookie seasons, yet felt that as a team we were good enough to have the likes of Mike Gandy start.
        Didn't the Cardinals get to the Super Bowl last year with Mike Gandy as left tackle?

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Clausen and Bradford are very good players but are not the guarantees the likes of Stafford and Ryan were.
          Stafford and Ryan were guarantees? Guarantees what?

Comment

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
            Didn't the Cardinals get to the Super Bowl last year with Mike Gandy as left tackle?
            Did you not read the bit about having an experienced QB?

Comment

Stafford and Ryan were guarantees? Guarantees what?
              More guaranteed to succeed that Clausen and Bradford

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

? No wonder this team hasn't gotten anywhere.
                Rob Johnson, old Drew Bledsoe, Alex Van Pelt, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm, 2 years Flutie, no wonder this team hasn't gone anywhere since Kelly retired.

Comment

Rob Johnson, old Drew Bledsoe, Alex Van Pelt, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm, 2 years Flutie, no wonder this team hasn't gone anywhere since Kelly retired.
                  and apart from a season and a half from Peters, how many have had a decent LT guarding their blindside?

Fina, Jennings, Gandy, Peters (only when he wanted to) Bell

no wonder we've never gotten decent production from a QB

Comment

and when Parcells set about rebuilding the Dolphins, did he draft a QB with the first overall pick?

No, he realised a QB without proper protection is a wasted pick

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Yet the moment we get a new GM and Head Coach, the call goes out to draft a QB despite the awful difficulties we have on both lines.

Clausen and Bradford are very good players but are not the guarantees the likes of Stafford and Ryan were. Clausen really only turned it on in his last season and even then couldn't win in the big games, whilst Bradford missed his junior season so all we have is his sophmore production is a system which will require him to transition to the pro game.

We also have a QB on are roster in Brian Brohm who was as heralded in college yet has had a tough ride since being drafted. He is criticised for being beaten out by a lower drafted QB to be a backup but now we are placing him in a situation where he has a Head Coach with a track record of developing QBs, giving him a better line than the one he faced in Atlanta where he had Aaron Ramsey and Kirk Chambers defending his edges and are calling to give up on him immediately? No wonder this team hasn't gotten anywhere.

I also think trading a high pick for McNabb would be a bad idea. He may have a couple of years in the tank, but recently he has suffered numerous injuries despite having decent OTs and if traded to someone who won't be an immediate contender he may well just retire. There are young QBs available like Jackson, Croyle and Clemons who Gailey might also enjoy success with and who could compete with Brohm

Fans should consider that Nix/Gailey will almost certainly get at least two years. The Bills will remain uncompetitive in Free Agency if there is one and have not suffered well here before so Nix will focus on the draft. Nix is right in saying teams do not really go BPA but actually focus on acute need. And as Nix has eloquently stated

"It's hard to throw when you're lying on your back."

This draft should start at Left Tackle, and then go for the rest of the draft on the DL, LB, and then maybe later on some skills players. Once the team have got the meat and potatoes in place this year, then 2011 can be used on a QB but ONLY IF our QBs fail this year. Fans will point out that the SuperBowl QBs this year are guarded by lower drafted LTs but there are two key differences

1) The QBs combined have 20years+ experience with quick releases and are able to read defences quickly. A rookie does not have these skills yet. He needs 5secs to get rid of the ball, an experienced guy 3secs. Those 2secs are all the time it takes to get flattened
                      2) Those LTs aren't first year starters. Neither flunked the way Bell has in their first year of starting. You occasionally find a lower round gem but to rely on that is insane

I understand the clamour for a QB but its like wanting to buy a brilliant engine and then put it in a rubbish car. No matter how good it is it won't work. Our QB will be our most important player but it is absolutely ESSENTIAL we place him in an environment where he will have time to succeed rather than throw him to the Wolves.
                      1) The OL needs to be fixed. That's a given. What I dont think is a given is how. I think the interior is adequate for now and can continue to develop into a real good group. The egdes were suspect as we know. But the rotating door at the edges had dual meanings. Yes, whoever played the OT spots was mediocre at best, but no one guy stayed there long enough to jell into anything either. Bell and Meredith both showed some ability. And its possible that one of them could become the next Peters. But they have a mountain to climb, and we cant put all our eggs in one basket. So, yes, we need to draft a LT at least. Does it have to be at 9? I say no. Guys like Fox, Capers, maybe Beadles could be decent early and wont cost a 1st orund pick in all likelihood. That said, I would be just as happy with taking one at 9.

2) Several QB prospects have been taken out of the top 5 with early success. Flacco, and Sanchez are the latest. Yet both were 1st rounders. Neither of them were locks to be Manning like franchise QB's. We must get a franchise QB. Its not a want, its a must. We have toiled in mediocrity for a decade and wont get out of it with anything less than a franchise QB, IMO. We cant afford to keep pushing that need off, undervaluing it, or trying cheap fixes. We all know the history and we all know the failures. Its a must. What isn't a must is to lock into a player as a must draft or bust. If the Bills come away convinced that none of the QB's in this draft look like they have a good chance to become franchise QB's in Buffalo, they shouldn't be drafting one first and foremost. But you and I aren't privy to what they think, so we wont know.

3) Since we may or may not think we can draft a franchise QB in this draft, and since its so important, the trade route becomes very viable. There's no reason not to add a solid proven QB while you continue your difficult search for the future guy. That gives you a chance to win now while you search. The whole team can grow in confidence and skill under a guy who can lead the team in the interim. Not getting someone, and stinking up the field, ruins unity, can destroy confidence, and can turn off players who might be interested in joining the team otherwise.

Yes, we need a LT, we also need a QB, and other needs. But, we shouldn't be locked into any position at 9, and we should do a full, and fair evaluation of who we already have.

Comment

Fox is a huge medical red flag with knee problems and possible heart issues. Capers is a raw as hell. We drafted a midround LT in Jonas Jennings and got mediocrity.

What I want is the Polian and Parcells route - draft a LT then a QB.

Polian drafted a LT in 1997 in Tarik Glenn then a QB in Manning in 1998

I'm not going to argue with the approach of a GM like Polian

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

I like Bulaga, but we need to take either Bradford or Clausen with our first pick, a decade is too long to go without a competent QB...Even if either turn out to be bust, I wont be mad because at least we tried.
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Originally posted by Luisito23
                            I like Bulaga, but we need to take either Bradford or Clausen with our first pick, a decade is too long to go without a competent QB...Even if either turn out to be bust, I wont be mad because at least we tried.
                            I think its a 2 year rebuild.

Gailey is supposed to be an offensive genius so it seems mad not to give Brohm a chance.

We've waited a decade so I'd rather wait another year and at least give a rookie a chance to succeed, than throw him behind our current line spend $50m on him, but almost guaranteeing he'll be a shell shocked bust and compromising our ability to then sign his replacement as the Raiders are finding with Russell

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                              Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                              • Jan 2010

in reality it might make sense to just let brohm start next year and see what he has... if he sucks, then we draft qb in rd 1 next year... we are not going to win next year...

Comment

Working...
                              X