PDA

View Full Version : This article makes me want to commit suicide

SabreEleven
01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
I looked around and didn't see it but this is quite depressing.

I can't remember the last time I watched a Pro Bowl. It's the worst of the all-star games by a mile. But somehow, the NFL has made an irrelevant event even worse by staging it the week before the Super Bowl.
The Super Bowl players are out, of course. Some 30 players have been replaced for one reason or another. Tom Brady is the latest quarterback to decline. Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger withdrew. Ryan Fitzpatrick, anyone?
So as an alternative, I've assembled my own Pro Bowl squad. It's a team of stars who could have been chosen by the Bills during the Tom Modrak era, if not for management's uncanny gift for dubious draft picks and ill-advised trades.
Modrak has been running the draft since 2002. Jairus Byrd is the only Bill drafted in that time to be voted to the Pro Bowl as a position player. Terrence McGee went as a kick returner, Marshawn Lynch as an injury fill-in.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/936146.html?imw=Y

patmoran2006
01-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Dont know about suicide-- but that's rough as hell to see isn't it?

SabreEleven
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Dont know about suicide-- but that's rough as hell to see isn't it?

Don't worry, I've stepped down from the toilet...

don137
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20..However, it does say a lot a why the Bills have not made the playoffs and have been a bottom feeder. Its not just the terrible coaching staff. I agree that Modrak has more than worn out his welcome here. His track record is deplorable. It's hard not to make the playoffs in 10 years and equally as hard to at least not get a few diamonds in the rough every year or two. Some how they Bills have managed to accomplish both. Unbelievable how many misses they have had.

Novacane
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
It's not fair to expect the Bills to have made all those moves but some should have been no brainers. Mckinney over Williams and Ngata over Whitner are the 2 that stick out to me and could have made a huge differance in our lines.

Jan Reimers
01-27-2010, 09:03 AM
If Modrak was really calling the shots during his time here, rather than Donahoe or Levy/Brandon/Jauron, he should be gone. But I doubt he was the real decision maker under Donahoe, and many claim Jauron made the final calls during his tenure.

Who knows how many times Modrak was overruled?

elltrain22
01-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Tom Donahoe set this franchise back a whole decade w/ his numerous draft day blunders.

justasportsfan
01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
If Modrak was really calling the shots during his time here, rather than Donahoe or Levy/Brandon/Jauron, he should be gone. But I doubt he was the real decision maker under Donahoe, and many claim Jauron made the final calls during his tenure.

Who knows how many times Modrak was overruled?

Everything seems to point towards Modrak not having any say as to who they draft but simply putting up scouting reports on players. It's probably why he hasn't been fired up to now.

Nix is a scout himself and if he thought Modrak was a chump of a scout, he would've fired Modrak along with Guy. I'm looking forward to seeing Modrak and Nix put their heads together for this years draft.

Pinkerton Security
01-27-2010, 09:27 AM
I get the point of the article but this sort of team could be put together for every single team in the NFL.

OMG the Colts great Bill Polian passed on drafting Sidney Rice!! What an idiot!!

Now again, I know the Bills miss more than they hit, but again, every team misses on players...think of all the stars who are late picks and undrafted FA's..

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Modrak and Nix put their heads together for this years draft.

Me too!

DesertFox24
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I get the point of the article but this sort of team could be put together for every single team in the NFL.

OMG the Colts great Bill Polian passed on drafting Sidney Rice!! What an idiot!!

Now again, I know the Bills miss more than they hit, but again, every team misses on players...think of all the stars who are late picks and undrafted FA's..

Yes I agree and who is to say that all those guys would have been pro bowlers with us. I guarantee with this QB problems none of those WRs or TEs would have made it.

DesertFox24
01-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Although I will say it does point out that we have made numerous blunders, hopefully Nix is A LOT better.

trapezeus
01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
i thought a huge blunder from the article was the McCargo trade up and the losman trade up.

When you trade back into round one, you are giving up multiple picks. and for never having a stellar team through 2000, you can see so many different lost opportunities from taking those two.

Literally McCargo was an awful pick that players 2-5 spots later in round turned out great. and then picks had we just stayed the course and added depth without trading up turned out well.

The team's lesson should be not to trade up unless you are going for 100% superstar. if you are just getting a piece to the puzzle, you are better playing the law of averages and keeping the numerous picks.

Also, 2005 was deadly with no first rounder and our first selection being roscoe parrish. That really was idiotic. Even if parrish kept having a great kick return career, he never amounted to anything as a WR.

Tatonka
01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
yeah it is pretty brutal to see that.

Ingtar33
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
of course Sully being Sully he made a couple of foolish mistakes. For one, he uses the JP Pick (gained from the trade) then he turns around and uses the picks lost in the JP trade (both of them). I also think he uses a pick twice for 2 different players (i'll have to double check)

That said, it's easy to use hindsight to pick an allstar team. what's so troubling is that he could fill a roster with them.

Bill Cody
01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
we could have drafted better? who knew

BillsMan80
01-27-2010, 11:16 AM
The article has some good and bad points. In pointing out who the Bills could have chosen, they only could have had Orakpo OR Cushing considering we only had 1 1st Round Pick, but it does point out the drafting definciencies that we have had over the years.

BertSquirtgum
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
i just puked after reading that article. can someone tell me why tom modrak is still working here?

CoolBreeze
01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
i just puked after reading that article. can someone tell me why tom modrak is still working here?

Because as stated several times before, he didn't make the final decisions.
It was reported not long ago, that for example he wanted Brian Cushing last year, and was over ruled in favor of Aaron Maybin.

CoolBreeze
01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Because as stated several times before, he didn't make the final decisions.
It was reported not long ago, that for example he wanted Brian Cushing last year, and was over ruled in favor of Aaron Maybin.

That was posted on this site Jan 11, 2010. The article was by Allen Wilson on how Nix and Modrak didn't want the one year wonder. They both wanted Cushing. They were over ruled by Jauron.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
:ill: