PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks say character in players matters, but actions show otherwise

Gunzlingr
06-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Let me get the nice statements out of the way.

I grew up here. I want the Seahawks to win a Super Bowl.

For the most part, I respect Mike Holmgren and Bob Ferguson. I even get along with Bob Whitsitt and get a kick out of Shawn Springs.

But the organization needs to spare us its rhetoric about wanting to acquire players of good character.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too cynical, but why would they choose Ken Hamlin in the second round of this year's draft?

The Seahawks selected a two-time drunk driver three weeks after they learned that last year's first-round pick, Jerramy Stevens, might be facing drunk-driving charges.

They gambled on Stevens and his troubled past. They haven't lost that gamble yet. But the Seahawks have a smaller stack of chips and are closer to tapping out than striking it rich with this promising tight end of theirs -- at least in the court of public perception.

Now the newest development: A woman filed suit against Stevens yesterday, accusing him of raping her three years ago. After that alleged incident, Stevens was arrested for sexual assault but never charged.

Even if is he cleared in the civil suit, it is another unwanted distraction that Stevens and the Seahawks will have to face. This will be happening while Stevens takes steps to deal with his drinking issues.

Apparently the Seahawks like to have a lot on their plate. We're talking Claim Jumper portions here, in light of the moves they have made in the past year.

Last November, one day after the Carolina Panthers released Chris Terry because of concerns about his off-field behavior, the Seahawks signed him

MORE (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/125192_moore05.html)