PDA

View Full Version : This team can't even ****ing win correctly.

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
If they had won in regulation, they would have tied NJ in the Eastern Conf standings. Instead, they remain a point behind the Devils and 5 behind the Caps.

Remember this if we end up in 3rd and Ottawa ends up in 6th. I ****ing hate the bonus point in the shootouts.

The 3rd period was atrocious. They only managed 8 shots, and 3 of them came in the waning minutes. That power play was one of the worst I've ever seen. I was going to come on here and complain about the lack of PP time the last two games, but after watching that PP, I think the refs are actually trying to do the Sabres a favor by not assessing penalties to their opponents.

The 3rd period against Vancouver was just as lackluster.

This team better wake up NOW.

MikeInRoch
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
This team's fans can't even ENJOY A ****ING WIN correctly. Over a pretty dang good team.

hydro
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
The NHL needs to figure out how to get rid of this TRAP CRAP. It is totally ruining hockey. Games like this are almost unwatchable.

YardRat
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I'd rather they woke up when the real season begins, instead of shooting their wad too early.

CuseJetsFan83
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
long road trip, tired and bruised against a still pretty dangerous devils team....... yeah i understand frustration, but damn a win is a win

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
This team's fans can't even ENJOY A ****ING WIN correctly. Over a pretty dang good team.

after that horrid road trip, giving up points in the standings does not cut it.

Don't you get it? We could be tied for 2nd in the conf, instead we remain at third. There are consequences for lackluster play.

MikeInRoch
01-27-2010, 08:53 PM
What I'm suggesting is that there are much worse things than being 3rd in the conference.

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
What I'm suggesting is that there are much worse things than being 3rd in the conference.

true.

There are also much better things than not living up to potential, which is what the Sabres are doing right now.

chernobylwraiths
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
true.

There are also much better things than not living up to potential, which is what the Sabres are doing right now.

What potential? I didn't even watch the game for the most part, but here is how I think it went. They played one maybe 1 and a half periods of decent hockey and Miller played very good and bailed them out. Pretty much how they have played all season. How did I do?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-27-2010, 09:24 PM
The NHL needs to figure out how to get rid of this TRAP CRAP. It is totally ruining hockey. Games like this are almost unwatchable.

When the NHL came back from the lockout in 2006 the NHL promised to make the game more exciting and they DID IT! by eliminating the hooking and grabbing and by eliminating this teams could no longer play the TRAP system allowing teams to skate end to end.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qy8LR0SZRq4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qy8LR0SZRq4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
1. The Devils are a good team.
2. Both teams looked tired as hell.
3. They won the ****ing game, against a damn good team.
4. You sir, are a liar:

Op is a politician. (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184892)
5. They won.
6. They are 3rd in the conference, first in the NE by 7 points with 3 games in hand over the 2nd place team.
7. They won.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah, and they won the ****ing game.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Oh, and New Jersey only had 7 shots in the 3rd. Fewer shots than the Sabres had.

But the PP was bad. It has been better as of late though.

And they won the shootout, something you *****ed about last week. Miller was fantastic in the shootout.

And they won the game. Not sure I mentioned that. And they beat a good team to do so.

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
1. The Devils are a good team.
2. Both teams looked tired as hell.
3. They won the ****ing game, against a damn good team.
4. You sir, are a liar:

Op is a politician. (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184892)
5. They won.
6. They are 3rd in the conference, first in the NE by 7 points with 3 games in hand over the 2nd place team.
7. They won.

Sorry, I broke my promise, but I had to vent. I was so pissed by that effort in the third period, it was pathetic.

They sort of won- they gave up a free point to the team ahead of them in the conference standings. It will come back to haunt them.

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 10:01 PM
And they won the shootout, something you *****ed about last week. Miller was fantastic in the shootout.

if there's a bright spot, it's definitely Miller. Even the NJ announcers managed to take Parise's and Pandolfo's ****s out of their mouths long enough to be amazed by his stops in the shootout.

I get stuck listening to away announcers a lot, and I have to say the only ones that toned down the homerism and actually knew about the Sabres has been Vancouver.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry, I broke my promise, but I had to vent. I was so pissed by that effort in the third period, it was pathetic.

They sort of won- they gave up a free point to the team ahead of them in the conference standings. It will come back to haunt them.

The effort was not bad in the 3rd.

Both teams were dead tired. Neither team did a damn thing. It was boring hockey.

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 10:05 PM

Both teams were dead tired. Neither team did a damn thing. It was boring hockey.

A PP where they don't establish the zone until there's only 15 seconds left is a bad effort. You won't convince me otherwise.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
A PP where they don't establish the zone until there's only 15 seconds left is a bad effort. You won't convince me otherwise.

Man, that was 2 minutes out of the period not the entire time.

It was a ****ty PP. No doubt. I already said that.

That does not mean it was a crappy game, a poor effort or that they did not win "correctly" (whatever the **** that means).

They beat a very good team. They came off a 7 game road trip, with one day off (which was used for travel) and beat New Jersey.

Is that worth nothing? Really?

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
That does not mean it was a crappy game, a poor effort or that they did not win "correctly" (whatever the **** that means).

They beat a very good team. They came off a 7 game road trip, with one day off (which was used for travel) and beat New Jersey.

Is that worth nothing? Really?

It means they gave up a free point and an opportunity to be 2nd in the conference by winning in a SO instead of winning in regulation.

If it were a WC team it wouldn't matter. If it was a team at the bottom of the EC standings it wouldn't matter. But it wasn't- it was the team with whom the Sabres are jockeying for playoff position. This is exactly what I mean when I say Buffalo fans have accepted mediocrity. Giving up points in this situation is not good enough. Not. Good. Enough.

NJ played last night so they were tired too. The BS excuses go both ways.

MikeInRoch
01-27-2010, 10:41 PM
3rd place in the East, a point out of 2nd, is not "mediocrity".

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 10:42 PM

we were in first before the road trip.

Going from first to 3rd and surrendering a chance to be 2nd in the conference is pretty mediocre in my book.

MikeInRoch
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
No, mediocre in a conference of 15 is going from 6th to 8th. Or 7th to 9th.

Michael82
01-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Agreed. I was at the arena and had problems keeping my eyes open. Of course it didn't help that both teams played lackadaisical and very sloppy.

Michael82
01-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Extremely boring. I know I wasn't the only one falling asleep while watching it. :snooze:

G Wolly
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM

And having an Olympic-level goaltender who leads in save % and is in the top 3 in other stat categories.

And how do you not win "correctly"?

If we score more points by any means, it seems like quite the correct way to win.

OpIv37
01-27-2010, 11:58 PM
And how do you not win "correctly"?

you allow the other team to take the game to OT, hence guaranteeing them a point and losing a chance to move up to 2nd in the conference.

G Wolly
01-28-2010, 12:13 AM
you allow the other team to take the game to OT, hence guaranteeing them a point and losing a chance to move up to 2nd in the conference.

There's still like 30 games left. If we fall to 8th or 9th then you can commence the *****ing.

Crisis
01-28-2010, 12:17 AM
devils suck, cant believe they let a team competing with them for the #1 seed take them to overtime.

mchurchfie
01-28-2010, 01:31 AM
The Sabres coming off a long road trip with very little rest against a very worthy opponent had every reason to lay down and give this game away. Last year this would have been a guarantee that they did that. The game tonight they fought hard as they could with a good honest effort and despite being weary, came out with a shootout win against a future HOF goaltender tonight. I'm happy as hell. I'll take the "W."

GO SABRES!!!

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 05:27 AM
It means they gave up a free point and an opportunity to be 2nd in the conference by winning in a SO instead of winning in regulation.

If it were a WC team it wouldn't matter. If it was a team at the bottom of the EC standings it wouldn't matter. But it wasn't- it was the team with whom the Sabres are jockeying for playoff position. This is exactly what I mean when I say Buffalo fans have accepted mediocrity. Giving up points in this situation is not good enough. Not. Good. Enough.

NJ played last night so they were tired too. The BS excuses go both ways.

AAARRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS NOT ABOUT ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY!!!!

I hate that. That is such BS. Complete, total BS.

You sound like such an ass when you say that. A complete total ass. I get so sick of it. I really want to tell you to perform an anatomically impossible act, but I will pass.

First off, I already said both teams were tired. Clearly. A number of times. Apparently you are not able to read.

You can ***** all you want. It is threads/posts like this where people get the idea you think the only acceptable outcome for the Sabres is to win all 82 games 5-1.

Can you please give the Devils some credit? Fact is they are a good team and tough to beat. Fact is the Sabres got 2 points and they got 1. If the Sabres do that the rest of the year, they will finish ahead of them.

You are *****ing about the Sabres winning a ****ing game. (Not to mention after you said you were done *****ing).

Is 3rd in the East not good enough for you? Is getting 2 points not better than getting 1? Did you expect this team to be first in the East at this time?

The Sabres are not the only team on the ice.

Give the Devils some credit.

And quit acting like a spoiled brat who would ***** if the team went 16-1 in the playoffs.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 05:29 AM

Going from first to 3rd and surrendering a chance to be 2nd in the conference is pretty mediocre in my book.

Can you look at the results of the entire season and not try to find a way to ***** about a win?

Big picture. Not Op's "OMG!!!! They did not win 5-1" They suck!!!"

The Devils are a good team. Getting two points against them is pretty damn good.

chernobylwraiths
01-28-2010, 06:39 AM
AAARRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS NOT ABOUT ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY!!!!

I hate that. That is such BS. Complete, total BS.

You sound like such an ass when you say that. A complete total ass. I get so sick of it. I really want to tell you to perform an anatomically impossible act, but I will pass.

First off, I already said both teams were tired. Clearly. A number of times. Apparently you are not able to read.

You can ***** all you want. It is threads/posts like this where people get the idea you think the only acceptable outcome for the Sabres is to win all 82 games 5-1.

Can you please give the Devils some credit? Fact is they are a good team and tough to beat. Fact is the Sabres got 2 points and they got 1. If the Sabres do that the rest of the year, they will finish ahead of them.

You are *****ing about the Sabres winning a ****ing game. (Not to mention after you said you were done *****ing).

Is 3rd in the East not good enough for you? Is getting 2 points not better than getting 1? Did you expect this team to be first in the East at this time?

The Sabres are not the only team on the ice.

Give the Devils some credit.

And quit acting like a spoiled brat who would ***** if the team went 16-1 in the playoffs.

:rofl:

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 06:49 AM
If they had won in regulation, they would have tied NJ in the Eastern Conf standings. Instead, they remain a point behind the Devils and 5 behind the Caps.

Remember this if we end up in 3rd and Ottawa ends up in 6th. I ****ing hate the bonus point in the shootouts.

The 3rd period was atrocious. They only managed 8 shots, and 3 of them came in the waning minutes. That power play was one of the worst I've ever seen. I was going to come on here and complain about the lack of PP time the last two games, but after watching that PP, I think the refs are actually trying to do the Sabres a favor by not assessing penalties to their opponents.

The 3rd period against Vancouver was just as lackluster.

This team better wake up NOW.

I'm done being nice...you were done *****ing...just stop the *****ing NOW. You really do ruin things for other people.

rbochan
01-28-2010, 07:22 AM
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/rbochan/StupidPostGraph.jpg

RockStar36
01-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Threads like this are such bull****.

Even if they won in regulation and would've been "tied", NJ would've been ahead of them because of total wins, so they would still be in third.

Settle it the **** down.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Op, seriously. I know you are only trying to point out the weaknesses that this team needs to overcome in order to win a championship but at some point you just have to mute it. That's the type of coaching personality that teams turn on and just quit. Sometimes a win is just that...a win. Lindy didn't seem pissed. I don't think he went in and ripped the team a new bunghole. You really have to lighten up. Not chastizing...just some friendly advice...take it for what you want.

THATHURMANATOR
01-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Seriously what a nutjob.

THATHURMANATOR
01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Threads like this are such bull****.

Even if they won in regulation and would've been "tied", NJ would've been ahead of them because of total wins, so they would still be in third.

Settle it the **** down.
I was thinking this thread was more gay than Bull****.

RockStar36
01-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I was thinking this thread was more gay than Bull****.

I was being nice.

I'm embarrassed by this thread for all Sabres fans.

RockStar36
01-28-2010, 10:37 AM

This might be the single dumbest thing I've read outside of the BZ.

Teams flip flop 1st, 2nd, 3rd place on a nightly basis.

The night the Sabres took first, they were actually tied with Washington but held the tie-breaker due to playing less games.

So right there, the minute Washington gets a point, they are back in first. The Devils were also in first at one point this season too.

As long as they win their division, you should be happy, considering that would be by far exceeding your expectations. If they play Ottawa in the playoffs, we'll worry, but there is no sense in getting worked up over that now.

And by the way, at least the Sabres can win, because all of your other favorite teams can't even do that much right.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 10:40 AM
This might be the single dumbest thing I've read outside of the BZ.

Teams flip flop 1st, 2nd, 3rd place on a nightly basis.

The night the Sabres took first, they were actually tied with Washington but held the tie-breaker due to playing less games.

So right there, the minute Washington gets a point, they are back in first. The Devils were also in first at one point this season too.

Also the Caps went on a six game tear and won everything while the Sabres went against the (at the time) #2, #3, #4 teams in the West and played them all tough (and won one). The Sabres can't prevent another team from winning unless they actually play them.

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
So what you guys are basically saying is "it's ok that we gave up a point to the devils because they're good and it's ok that we had a bad road trip and dropped to third because we had to play good teams."

Having a good overall record but struggling against the better teams is simply not good enough. I can't even believe I have to argue this point. If that's not accepting mediocrity, what is?

Yes, the sabres have surprised me so far this year, and they may actually have a chance to do something. But I'm watching that chance slip away. You guys can make all the excuses you want about good opponents and road trips, but a team that can't handle travel or good opponents is doomed to a short playoff run.

THATHURMANATOR
01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
So what you guys are basically saying is "it's ok that we gave up a point to the devils because they're good and it's ok that we had a bad road trip and dropped to third because we had to play good teams."

Having a good overall record but struggling against the better teams is simply not good enough. I can't even believe I have to argue this point. If that's not accepting mediocrity, what is?

Yes, the sabres have surprised me so far this year, and they may actually have a chance to do something. But I'm watching that chance slip away. You guys can make all the excuses you want about good opponents and road trips, but a team that can't handle travel or good opponents is doomed to a short playoff run.

How do you figure we GAVE them a point. They are just as good as we are. We Took the extra point FROM THEM.

Yeah we really struggled against New Jersey last night winning the game and all.

Do you realize what you sound like sometimes?

We have beat Jersey, Penguins, Capitals, Blackhawks this season. No slouches there.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM

And what does this say about the Devils? After alll they gave up two points to the Sabres. And lost to Ottawa the night before.

They gave up two points to the Sabres. Good teams struggle against each other. The top of the East is very even in the NHL. That is the point. No team is running away with it.

Re-read your first post and try and tell us it sounds rational. The chance is not slipping away. They are still well in 3rd. I think all of us would have liked to see 8 or 9 points + on the road trip, but the SO struggles stopped that. (as well as a bad 8 minutes against Anaheim and Kerry Fraser).

There is a lot of parity in the NHL. So far the Sabres have done better than all but two Eastern teams. They are not perfect. Nobody thinks they are.

But it is not as horrific as your first post makes it sound.

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
How do you figure we GAVE them a point. They are just as good as we are. We Took the extra point FROM THEM.

Yeah we really struggled against New Jersey last night winning the game and all.

Do you realize what you sound like sometimes?

We have beat Jersey, Penguins, Capitals, Blackhawks this season. No slouches there.

we gave them a point with one of the worst pp's I've ever seen and a lackluster 3rd period. You say they took it- I say we shouldn't let then take it.

And you have a selective memory for victories. For example, we are 1-2 against the caps. Just because we beat them once doesn't mean we don't struggle against them.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
we gave them a point with one of the worst pp's I've ever seen and a lackluster 3rd period. You say they took it- I say we shouldn't let then take it.

And you have a selective memory for victories. For example, we are 1-2 against the caps. Just because we beat them once doesn't mean we don't struggle against them.

you know...if Mods could receive points for breaking the ToS it would be worth it just to tell you that you are just an *******.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Do you have the other top teams records against playoff teams?

Saying they struggle against these teams is not exactly accurate. They are examples of good teams playing each other.

And, yes as we have said countless times it was a bad PP. NJ also had a PP that they did nothing on too. Each team had one PP in the game. Neither scored on it. That is even.

And the 3rd was not lackluster. But you made up your mind and are not listening to other viewpoints.

I think it is odd that somebody like Bucky Gleason, hardly a homer, can be impressed with the win and you think it was the worse thing to happen in the history of the Sabres franchise (intentional hyperbole - calm down)

trapezeus
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
i think the point of the post is that after a season of unwatchable bills football, combined with an often-seen promising start by the sabres, if we end up getting booted in the first round because we left points on the ice for others to capitalize on and not take advantage of a long season, i'm going to be nearly suicidal.

The Sabres could totally make up for the bills patheticness. They could make me remember what it's like to have a team that is on a beautiful run.

The sabres have looked good, but lets be honest, they aren't scoring in bunches. Vanek is invisible....yes they are winning, but they aren't showing signs that they are an elite team. Sure, they say they could win every game and its just mistakes, but a dominant elite team would get those points.

In some ways, i'm praying that the sabres are just waiting to peak at the right time, unlike a couple years ago where they came out super hot and slowly faded.

If miller has an awesome olympics, the stage is set for the team to have a red hot goalie. They just need to win with Lalime so that he isn't over worked and over exhausted by June!

MikeInRoch
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Having a good overall record but struggling against the better teams is simply not good enough.

Name for me a team that does not "struggle against the better teams".

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
And the 3rd was not lackluster. But you made up your mind and are not listening to other viewpoints.
)

I'm not listening to other viewpoints because i know what I saw. I saw a team losing battles along the boards, turning the puck over, being unable to solve njs trap and generally lacking urgency as time wound down.

Nothing you or anyone else says is going to change what I saw.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm not listening to other viewpoints because i know what I saw. I saw a team losing battles along the boards, turning the puck over, being unable to solve njs trap and generally lacking urgency as time wound down.

Nothing you or anyone else says is going to change what I saw.

Except they outshot New Jersey and neither team did anything that period. Both teams were weak and tired.

I really don't think you saw the entire period or you only picked out the bad parts for the Sabres.

And the Sabres were better in overtime, that much was clear.

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Being better in OT is too late- nj already had their point. I missed the first few min but I saw the majority. With 3 min left in the game, the Sabres only had 5 shots. Fiv shots in roughly 17 minutes. How is that not lackluster?

And the number of shots nj had is irrelevant. It doesn't give the sabres an excuse to be mediocre.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Except they outshot New Jersey and neither team did anything that period.

The 3rd period could have been the worst period of hockey by two NHL teams ever. It took about 30 minutes to play. I didn't move once. My BP never got over 90/50. My wife thought I was in a coma.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Being better in OT is too late- nj already had their point. I missed the first few min but I saw the majority. With 3 min left in the game, the Sabres only had 5 shots. Fiv shots in roughly 17 minutes. How is that not lackluster?

And the number of shots nj had is irrelevant. It doesn't give the sabres an excuse to be mediocre.

Not it is not irrelevant.

It is quite relevant when it comes to the pace of the game and how it was played. Both teams were in lockdown mode and were playing tired, slow, boring hockey.

Besides, since NJ was just as bad are you thinking they are done as well?

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
The 3rd period could have been the worst period of hockey by two NHL teams ever. It took about 30 minutes to play. I didn't move once. My BP never got over 90/50. My wife thought I was in a coma.

I was so bored I even talked to Clump!

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 02:39 PM

It is quite relevant when it comes to the pace of the game and how it was played. Both teams were in lockdown mode and were playing tired, slow, boring hockey.

Slow?? Boring?? Dinosaur remains were turning to coal and oil faster.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I was so bored I even talked to Clump!

did you guys eat well?

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I had a chili cheese dog and a bottle of water. My cold ruined my taste buds.

I think he had Italian Sausage.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I think he had Italian Sausage.

:shocked: I could have predicted that.

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM

Besides, since NJ was just as bad are you thinking they are done as well?

I don't watch NJ enough to know.

But I watch a lot of Sabres (thanks to bootleg internet feeds, usually). And I see a team that doesn't play full games. I see a team that can't run a quality PP. I see a team that lacks a true scorer. I see a team that relies far too much on the goalie. I see a team that responded to a poor road trip by giving up a point and missing a chance to be tied (points-wise) for 2nd in the conf.

Does NJ have the same problems? Maybe- I don't watch them enough to know. I do know that NJ was good enough to retain their lead in the standings over the Sabres last night, even if they did lose the game.

MikeInRoch
01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
You still haven't named any teams that don't "struggle against the better teams".

MikeInRoch
01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Let me ask this - how many teams in the league, if you told them they would beat the number 4 team in the entire league, but it would take a shootout to do it, would be disappointed in that result?

hydro
01-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Someone is trying too hard in this thread. And I believe it is the thread starter...

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
You still haven't named any teams that don't "struggle against the better teams".

I don't have time to go look up teams' records against each other.

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Let me ask this - how many teams in the league, if you told them they would beat the number 4 team in the entire league, but it would take a shootout to do it, would be disappointed in that result?

how many other teams' fans would ask what the consequences in the standings would be?

We gave away a point. You can downplay it all you want, but this is the kind of thing that can hurt, particularly after that piss poor road trip.

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Someone is trying too hard in this thread. And I believe it is the thread starter...

I completely disagree. This team had a chance to be tied for 2nd in points in the conference and they let it slip through their fingers with a horrid PP and a lackluster third period. The NHL has a ****ty system that gives points for losses, but unfortunately the Sabres have to play within that system. And that means winning in regulation to avoid giving free points to teams fighting with them for playoff positioning. They couldn't get it done.

Is it better than a loss? Yes. Is it good enough? No.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I completely disagree. This team had a chance to be tied for 2nd in points in the conference and they let it slip through their fingers with a horrid PP and a lackluster third period. The NHL has a ****ty system that gives points for losses, but unfortunately the Sabres have to play within that system. And that means winning in regulation to avoid giving free points to teams fighting with them for playoff positioning. They couldn't get it done.

Is it better than a loss? Yes. Is it good enough? No.

So if they win game 7 of the SC finals in OT it is not good enough?

BTW, how did they let it slip through their fingers in the 3rd period? The game was tied going into the 3rd.

Fact is, even as horrendous as the Sabres are, they are still 3rd in the East. 1st in the NE by 7 points with games in hand. 1 point out of 2nd in the East.

Instead of saying anything positive (except for about Miller) you focus on some bull**** criteria that only regulation wins are acceptable in the NHL. You are acting as if this team is pure ****.

And it is damn good enough. They got two points. New Jersey got one point. Two > one (last I checked).

Fact is, and you refuse to acknowledge this, is that New Jersey is pretty damn good too. Being able to get more points in a game than New Jersey is acceptable.

Right now there are two teams in the East better than the Sabres. And who knows, maybe this **** team will pass the Devils tomorrow night.

You keep talking about the 3rd period, which you admit you did not see all of. You act like it was some horrendous season ending 20 minutes of hockey because the Sabres did not score. Of New Jersey didn't either, but you will not mention that. You refuse to even consider the fact both teams were exhausted in the 3rd. You will not even read the opinion of people who were at the game and saw what both teams were doing. You will not listen to Ruff's comments about two tired teams in the third. Or Gleason saying they did well, as it is often the first game back from a road trip, especially with only one day off, that is the hardest as the team as to adjust to a time zone change and finally getting home after 11 days on the road.

Instead you start off with an opinion, based on facts that have been discredited, and don't change.

Are you sure you don't fit in Washington perfectly?

Sometimes I think you try to live up to your pessimist reputation by making **** up as you go.

OpIv37
01-28-2010, 10:53 PM
So if they win game 7 of the SC finals in OT it is not good enough?

BTW, how did they let it slip through their fingers in the 3rd period? The game was tied going into the 3rd.

Fact is, even as horrendous as the Sabres are, they are still 3rd in the East. 1st in the NE by 7 points with games in hand. 1 point out of 2nd in the East.

Instead of saying anything positive (except for about Miller) you focus on some bull**** criteria that only regulation wins are acceptable in the NHL. You are acting as if this team is pure ****.

And it is damn good enough. They got two points. New Jersey got one point. Two > one (last I checked).

Fact is, and you refuse to acknowledge this, is that New Jersey is pretty damn good too. Being able to get more points in a game than New Jersey is acceptable.

Right now there are two teams in the East better than the Sabres. And who knows, maybe this **** team will pass the Devils tomorrow night.

You keep talking about the 3rd period, which you admit you did not see all of. You act like it was some horrendous season ending 20 minutes of hockey because the Sabres did not score. Of New Jersey didn't either, but you will not mention that. You refuse to even consider the fact both teams were exhausted in the 3rd. You will not even read the opinion of people who were at the game and saw what both teams were doing. You will not listen to Ruff's comments about two tired teams in the third. Or Gleason saying they did well, as it is often the first game back from a road trip, especially with only one day off, that is the hardest as the team as to adjust to a time zone change and finally getting home after 11 days on the road.

Instead you start off with an opinion, based on facts that have been discredited, and don't change.

Are you sure you don't fit in Washington perfectly?

Sometimes I think you try to live up to your pessimist reputation by making **** up as you go.

SC Finals? That's a bull**** scenario because we're not talking about the SC finals. We're talking about regular season rules and standings, and the Sabres screwed themselves last night in that regard.

Yes. 2>1 but 69+1>67+2, and 69+0=67+2. That is a fact that will not change.

Tired in the 3rd period? They're professional hockey players- they're supposed to be able to play a full 60 minutes. And if NJ was tired in the 3rd as well, that's time to take ADVANTAGE of them, not play down to their level.

You keep coming back to "NJ wasn't any better," but that's a completely irrelevant point. An opponent being mediocre does NOT give the Sabres an excuse to play down to their level.

And I most certainly am not making **** up as I go. I've been complaining about giving points to EC teams by not winning in regulation for at least the last two years, particularly late in the season when the Sabres were a bubble team and gave free points to other bubble teams. I was furious last night by the performance in the 3rd period and the fact that we gave NJ a free point.

I hate it how the NHL system allows points to materialize out of thin air. "A game is worth 2 points unless it takes longer than 60 minutes to settle then it's worth three." It's BS but that's the system the Sabres are forced to play in. They failed to take advantage of it yesterday. In fact, that 3rd period looked like they were just hoping to get to OT without losing, and I find that lack of effort infuriating.

Al the Bills Fan
01-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Don't you pick the Sabres to lose in almost EVERY single game in the prediction threads? It would seem to me that this team exceeds your expectations

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
How did they give New Jersey a point in the third when the game was tied going into the 3rd?

How do you figure that out?

And you are missing my point - this "great" NJ team (you know the one that is way ahead of the Sabres in the standings) also had the same problems.

NHL teams do not go 82-0, winning all games by 3 + goal margins.

That is, apparently, the only acceptable outcome for you. Winning is not good enough.

The Sabres beat a good team last night. One that is ahead of them in the standings. But the Sabres still won the ****ing game.

NHL teams are not perfect every game for 60 minutes. To expect that is moronic.

As for them not supposed to be tired?

Come on. You know as well as I do that being a pro athlete does not ready you for long road trips and the change your body undergoes when making a 3 hour time zone change. It is one of the disadvantages of long western road trips. They go through it once a year and are not conditioned for it.

Fact is NJ and all other hockey teams sometimes get tired. To expect the Sabres not to is not reasonable.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 01:03 AM
how many other teams' fans would ask what the consequences in the standings would be?

We gave away a point. You can downplay it all you want, but this is the kind of thing that can hurt, particularly after that piss poor road trip.
We didn't give away a point man.

It wasn't like we were up by 2 or 3 and blew it. We had a hard fought game vs one of the better teams in our conference and WON.

There is no down playing of it. I can't imagine anyone else having the same feelings as you do on this subject. When do you realize you may be wrong?

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:30 AM
We didn't give away a point man.

It wasn't like we were up by 2 or 3 and blew it. We had a hard fought game vs one of the better teams in our conference and WON.

There is no down playing of it. I can't imagine anyone else having the same feelings as you do on this subject. When do you realize you may be wrong?

the devils got a point in the standings because the Sabres were unable to finish the game in regulation. How could I be wrong? The final score reflects it and the standings reflect it. If the game was "hard fought," we would have won it in regulation and been tied for points. But go check the standings. It didn't happen like that.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Pittsburgh beat Buffalo in a SO against Lalime. Pittsburgh also blew a 3 goal lead and lost in regulation to Buffalo. They suck.

Chicago lost to Buffalo. They suck.

Washington got shutout by Buffalo. They suck.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 07:33 AM
the devils got a point in the standings because the Sabres were unable to finish the game in regulation. How could I be wrong? The final score reflects it and the standings reflect it. If the game was "hard fought," we would have won it in regulation and been tied for points. But go check the standings. It didn't happen like that.

I can't believe how irrational you are with the Sabres when all your other teams suck a big fat ****.

You should be happy you have a team in first place.

I love when you brag about the Sabres on Facebook. Sometimes it almost assures me that this is all an act to rile people up. Either that or you're the biggest flip flopper on the planet.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:37 AM
How did they give New Jersey a point in the third when the game was tied going into the 3rd?

How do you figure that out?

And you are missing my point - this "great" NJ team (you know the one that is way ahead of the Sabres in the standings) also had the same problems.

NHL teams do not go 82-0, winning all games by 3 + goal margins.

That is, apparently, the only acceptable outcome for you. Winning is not good enough.

The Sabres beat a good team last night. One that is ahead of them in the standings. But the Sabres still won the ****ing game.

NHL teams are not perfect every game for 60 minutes. To expect that is moronic.

As for them not supposed to be tired?

Come on. You know as well as I do that being a pro athlete does not ready you for long road trips and the change your body undergoes when making a 3 hour time zone change. It is one of the disadvantages of long western road trips. They go through it once a year and are not conditioned for it.

Fact is NJ and all other hockey teams sometimes get tired. To expect the Sabres not to is not reasonable.

The team played poorly in the 3rd. "Gave the game away" may have been poor terminology, but there is simply no excuse for that ****ing pathetic effort.

You keep bringing up winning by 3+ goals every game and going 82-0. I NEVER said anything about that. I'm talking about simply WINNING IN REGULATION TO AVOID GIVING A RIVAL POINTS IN THE STANDINGS. I don't get why you don't see a problem with giving the Devils a free point. In this situation, a win only counts as half a win in the standings because of the NHL's ****ty system.

You keep going back to "Well NJ did it too!" which is ****ing irrelevant because it doesn't give the Sabres an excuse to be bad as well. You keep going back to these ludicrous examples about the SC finals or going 82-0, which is a tactic that shows the weakness of your position.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:39 AM
I can't believe how irrational you are with the Sabres when all your other teams suck a big fat ****.

You should be happy you have a team in first place.

I love when you brag about the Sabres on Facebook. Sometimes it almost assures me that this is all an act to rile people up. Either that or you're the biggest flip flopper on the planet.

Did the Sabres give up a chance to be tied in points with the Devils by failing to finish the game in regulation or not?

The Sabres missed the playoffs by TWO POINTS last year. We gave up one point to the team ahead of us in the standings- that's half the margin that kept us out of the playoffs this year. You guys are sitting here arguing that a point here or a point there doesn't matter, but it does.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Did the Sabres give up a chance to be tied in points with the Devils by failing to finish the game in regulation or not?

The Sabres missed the playoffs by TWO POINTS last year. We gave up one point to the team ahead of us in the standings- that's half the margin that kept us out of the playoffs this year. You guys are sitting here arguing that a point here or a point there doesn't matter, but it does.

Whoa, settle down.

Yes, they aren't "tied" with NJ, even though NJ would've still had the tie-breaker. However, we're talking about 2nd and 3rd place in the EC, not 8th and 9th.

There are also 30 games left to make up that one point.

Including the very last game of the season.

I think the game tonight and the games against Ottawa are much more of a big deal than this game against NJ.

BlackMetalNinja
01-29-2010, 07:43 AM

The Sabres missed the playoffs by TWO POINTS last year. We gave up one point to the team ahead of us in the standings- that's half the margin that kept us out of the playoffs this year. You guys are sitting here arguing that a point here or a point there doesn't matter, but it does.Shouldn't the Devils be far more ****ing concerned that they "gave up" 2 points to the team directly below them then???

This thread is a complete and total ****ing joke and the exact reason I haven't posted in this forum in the past 2 months. I considered returning to it when you said you'd stop arguing about this team, but I knew it was far too good to be true.

Sooner or later there has to come a point where you realize that EVERY SINGLE person in here disagrees with you and that maybe, just maybe YOU ARE WRONG.

Now, I'm going to leave again before I tell you what I REALLY think and earn myself a forced vacation.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Shouldn't the Devils be far more ****ing concerned that they "gave up" 2 points to the team directly below them then???

This thread is a complete and total ****ing joke and the exact reason I haven't posted in this forum in the past 2 months. I considered returning to it when you said you'd stop arguing about this team, but I knew it was far too good to be true.

Sooner or later there has to come a point where you realize that EVERY SINGLE person in here disagrees with you and that maybe, just maybe YOU ARE WRONG.

Now, I'm going to leave again before I tell you what I REALLY think and earn myself a forced vacation.

No- at the end of the day, the Devils are still ahead of us in the standings and it's still on the Sabres to make up the gap. Do they have reasons to be concerned after that game? Probably, but they're still ahead.

Just because everyone disagrees with me doesn't make me wrong. The majority does not determine reality.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Man you are something.
How many 1 - 0 shutouts do you see on a nightly basis?

If the game was "hard fought," we would have won it in regulation and been tied for points.
How can you possibly make this statement in a serious manner?

MikeInRoch
01-29-2010, 07:49 AM

If they miss the playoffs this year because they gave an extra point to NJ, then you feel free to *****.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 07:49 AM
No- at the end of the day, the Devils are still ahead of us in the standings and it's still on the Sabres to make up the gap. Do they have reasons to be concerned after that game? Probably, but they're still ahead.

Just because everyone disagrees with me doesn't make me wrong. The majority does not determine reality.
Hilarious!!!

Yes it does OP. It really does.

I mess around with you a lot but this thread is one of your more ridiculous in awhile.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Whoa, settle down.

Yes, they aren't "tied" with NJ, even though NJ would've still had the tie-breaker. However, we're talking about 2nd and 3rd place in the EC, not 8th and 9th.

There are also 30 games left to make up that one point.

Including the very last game of the season.

I think the game tonight and the games against Ottawa are much more of a big deal than this game against NJ.

Do you really want the Sabres to have to beat Brodeur on the road in the final game of the season to secure playoff positioning?

Granted, there are still 30 games left and it may not go down like that, but I'd much rather start making up ground now and lessen the chances of that happening so we don't have to worry about it.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Hilarious!!!

Yes it does OP. It really does.

I mess around with you a lot but this thread is one of your more ridiculous in awhile.

If I said the sky was blue and 50 people came on here and argued with me that the sky was red, I'd still be right. That's what's going on here.

The Sabres let the team just ahead of them in the standings remain ahead of them in the standings by not finishing the game in regulation. You guys can make all the excuses about road trips and "hard fought games" or whatever you want, but the reality is that the Devils got a point out of the game and thus remain ahead of us in the standings. Nothing you can say will change that fact.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Man you are something.
How many 1 - 0 shutouts do you see on a nightly basis?

How can you possibly make this statement in a serious manner?

I don't care about winning 1-0. I just care about not giving up free points to teams close to us in the standings. Why is that so hard to understand?

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Do you really want the Sabres to have to beat Brodeur on the road in the final game of the season to secure playoff positioning?

Granted, there are still 30 games left and it may not go down like that, but I'd much rather start making up ground now and lessen the chances of that happening so we don't have to worry about it.

First of all, I'm pretty sure they won 4-1 in the their only game in NJ this season.

Second, they did make up ground. They started out the other night down 2 points to NJ, and finished the night down 1 point. Last time I checked, that is making up ground.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
First of all, I'm pretty sure they won 4-1 in the their only game in NJ this season.

Second, they did make up ground. They started out the other night down 2 points to NJ, and finished the night down 1 point. Last time I checked, that is making up ground.

but they could have been tied. Instead they settled for still being one point down. That's what frustrates me. Why am I the only one who seems to care about that? I just don't get it.

hydro
01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't care about winning 1-0. I just care about not giving up free points to teams close to us in the standings. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because your never happy and it is sad.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 08:02 AM
but they could have been tied. Instead they settled for still being one point down. That's what frustrates me. Why am I the only one who seems to care about that? I just don't get it.

But they wouldn't have been tied. NJ would've had the tie-breaker so the standings would've looked exactly the same, besides the one point difference.

I guess I'm not that upset about it because there are 30 games left to go.

I wish we could all just relax a little bit until the trade deadline. We'll know a whole lot more when that time comes of what this team is made of or what they will do.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Because your never happy and it is sad.

There were four possible outcomes to the game.

1. A win (2 points for us, 0 for for them)
2. An OT Win (2 for us, 1 for them)
3. An OT loss (1 for us, 2 for them)
4. A loss (0 for us, 2 for them).

The team failed to obtain the best possible outcome, and failed to tie NJ in points. Why would anyone who claims to be a fan of the team be happy with anything less than the best possible outcome? That doesn't make any sense.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 08:07 AM
On a lighter note to this game, anybody not on Twitter or following me missed one of the greatest crow eating moments of my life about this game. BMN knows what I'm talking about.

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2010, 08:19 AM
The team played poorly in the 3rd. "Gave the game away" may have been poor terminology, but there is simply no excuse for that ****ing pathetic effort.

You keep bringing up winning by 3+ goals every game and going 82-0. I NEVER said anything about that. I'm talking about simply WINNING IN REGULATION TO AVOID GIVING A RIVAL POINTS IN THE STANDINGS. I don't get why you don't see a problem with giving the Devils a free point. In this situation, a win only counts as half a win in the standings because of the NHL's ****ty system.

You keep going back to "Well NJ did it too!" which is ****ing irrelevant because it doesn't give the Sabres an excuse to be bad as well. You keep going back to these ludicrous examples about the SC finals or going 82-0, which is a tactic that shows the weakness of your position.

Maybe the Devils earned the point.

There is no weakness in my position. What I am trying to show you is that you are *****ing about a win. Yes NJ get a point. But if the only acceptable outcome against the 2nd best team in the East (and 4th in the NHL) is a win in regulation, wouldn't that also be the only acceptable outcome against all lesser teams? Wouldn't that lead to a record that is almost 82-0?

The Sabres played the 4th best team in the league and the 2nd best in the East and won. And you are pissed about that. Livid. You find winning unacceptable.

If beating NJ in a SO in unacceptable, then when is acceptable to win in a SO? Only against Washington, Chicago and San Jose?

Sure it would have been nice to win in regulation. But they did not. Winning in a SO/OT is perfectly acceptable. They got more points than NJ in that game.

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM
There were four possible outcomes to the game.

1. A win (2 points for us, 0 for for them)
2. An OT Win (2 for us, 1 for them)
3. An OT loss (1 for us, 2 for them)
4. A loss (0 for us, 2 for them).

The team failed to obtain the best possible outcome, and failed to tie NJ in points. Why would anyone who claims to be a fan of the team be happy with anything less than the best possible outcome? That doesn't make any sense.

And you are acting like it is the worst possible outcome.

Although this proves that you will only be happy with an 82-0 record, with all wins in regulation.

No doubt outcome #1 is the best. But the reality is that outcome does not happen every game. When playing other top teams, sometimes you take the win and be happy with it. It is not a disaster to win games ina shootout.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Maybe the Devils earned the point.

There is no weakness in my position. What I am trying to show you is that you are *****ing about a win. Yes NJ get a point. But if the only acceptable outcome against the 2nd best team in the East (and 4th in the NHL) is a win in regulation, wouldn't that also be the only acceptable outcome against all lesser teams? Wouldn't that lead to a record that is almost 82-0?

The Sabres played the 4th best team in the league and the 2nd best in the East and won. And you are pissed about that. Livid. You find winning unacceptable.

If beating NJ in a SO in unacceptable, then when is acceptable to win in a SO? Only against Washington, Chicago and San Jose?

Sure it would have been nice to win in regulation. But they did not. Winning in a SO/OT is perfectly acceptable. They got more points than NJ in that game.

The Sabres shouldn't LET them earn the point- that's their job and they didn't do it.

Winning in a SO/OT is only acceptable when it's against a WC team or a team so far behind the Sabres in the standings that it won't make a difference. Creating extra points in the standings by going to OT against teams close to us in the standings is dangerous, as missing the playoffs by two points last year shows.

To me, the only acceptable outcome to that game was a regulation win. Yes, I know it's unrealistic to expect the team to go 82-0 with no SO/OT wins. But for each individual game, the goal is a regulation win. When the opponent is an EC team close to to the Sabres in the standings, a regulation win becomes even more important.

I don't find winning unacceptable- I find giving up a point to the team just ahead of us in the standings unacceptable.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Op, what is an acceptable outcome for tonight's game?

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Op, what is an acceptable outcome for tonight's game?

Obviously the regulation win is the best possible outcome.

In this particular case, a SO/OT win wouldn't anger me because it would just mean that Boston is 16 points behind us in the standings instead of 17. I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but clearly giving up a point to Boston doesn't have nearly the implications of giving up a point to NJ, Washington, Ottawa, Pittsburgh.

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Obviously the regulation win is the best possible outcome.

In this particular case, a SO/OT win wouldn't anger me because it would just mean that Boston is 16 points behind us in the standings instead of 17. I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but clearly giving up a point to Boston doesn't have nearly the implications of giving up a point to NJ, Washington, Ottawa, Pittsburgh.

So it is OK to have a SO/TO win against a lesser team but not a top level team?

That makes no sense. None.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
So it is OK to have a SO/TO win against a lesser team but not a top level team?

That makes no sense. None.
Sure it does. You're basing your acceptable outcome on the quality of the opponent, which is irrelevant. It's the sabres' jobbto win hockey games, not beat bad teams while losing or going to OT against good ones.

I'm basing mine on what the Sabres have to do to help themselves in the standings. Right now, giving up a point to Boston is unlikely to affect the Sabres in the standings. Giving up a point to thebother teams I mentioned is very likely to hurt them in the standings. It's quite simple really.

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Sure it does. You're basing your acceptable outcome on the quality of the opponent, which is irrelevant. It's the sabres' jobbto win hockey games, not beat bad teams while losing or going to OT against good ones.

I'm basing mine on what the Sabres have to do to help themselves in the standings. Right now, giving up a point to Boston is unlikely to affect the Sabres in the standings. Giving up a point to thebother teams I mentioned is very likely to hurt them in the standings. It's quite simple really.

So quality of opponent is irrelevant?

So if they lose to Carolina next week you won't *****?

Sure. Ok.

BTW, NJ gve up two points to the Sabres. As previously mentioned, 2 > 1. So the Sabres gained ground. It's true. Really. It is.

And I question as to whether or not it is "very likely" to hurt them in the standings. More likely? Sure. Very likely? I dunno. Or if finishing 3rd is that much worse than finishing 2nd if it does.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Op is WRONG guys. He knows it in his heart but too stubborn to admit it to us.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 08:55 AM
So quality of opponent is irrelevant?

So if they lose to Carolina next week you won't *****?

Sure. Ok.

BTW, NJ gve up two points to the Sabres. As previously mentioned, 2 > 1. So the Sabres gained ground. It's true. Really. It is.

And I question as to whether or not it is "very likely" to hurt them in the standings. More likely? Sure. Very likely? I dunno. Or if finishing 3rd is that much worse than finishing 2nd if it does.
Losing is NEVEr acceptable. You are twisting my words.

And yes, we gained ONE point on NJ, but we could have gained TWO. 2>1, remember?
This is where that "accepting mediocrity" thing comes in. You are satisfied with an outcome that is less than optimal.

Is finishing 3rd that much worse than finishing 2nd? That depends who finishes 6th and 7th. If we end up playing Ottawa because they finished 6th and lose in the first round, yeah, it's worse.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM

And yes, we gained ONE point on NJ, but we could have gained TWO. 2>1, remember?
This is where that "accepting mediocrity" thing comes in. You are satisfied with an outcome that is less than optimal.

Is finishing 3rd that much worse than finishing 2nd? That depends who finishes 6th and 7th. If we end up playing Ottawa because they finished 6th and lose in the first round, yeah, it's worse.
What if we don't play Ottawa because we finished in 3rd?

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 09:06 AM
What if we don't play Ottawa because we finished in 3rd?

Depends who we do play and how we match up with them.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Op is WRONG guys. He knows it in his heart but too stubborn to admit it to us.

I will admit that there are times on this website when I realized I was wrong but kept arguing anyway because I was too stubborn to give up.

This is not one of those times.

NJ got 1 point out of the game. NJ could have gotten zero points out of the game. 1>0.

We could have the same number of points as NJ. Instead they have 70 and we have 60. 70>69.

The game could have been worth 2 points if we finished it in regulation. Instead it was worth 3 because the Sabres allowed it to go to OT. 3>2.

Nothing can change those facts.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 09:11 AM

So why don't you settle down and wait 30 games to see who they play.

You're acting like they allowed NJ to get a point and now NJ will finish 8th and the Buffalo will finish 9th. You're being a bit unreasonable about this.

Actually, why don't you just relax until next Wednesday night. Seeing how hot Ottawa is and how the division lead is only a few points, next Wednesday is a WAY bigger game than the other night against NJ.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
What if the 2nd seed plays Ottawa and the 3rd seed plays Atlanta?
Ottawa is well ahead of the 6th or 7th seed right now anyways.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 09:12 AM

You're acting like they allowed NJ to get a point and now NJ will finish 8th and the Buffalo will finish 9th. You're being a bit unreasonable about this.

Actually, why don't you just relax until next Wednesday night. Seeing how hot Ottawa is and how the division lead is only a few points, next Wednesday is a WAY bigger game than the other night against NJ.
We are still 5 points up on Ottawa with 3 games in hand.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
We are still 5 points up on Ottawa with 3 games in hand.

Yes I know, but they have won 8 in a row. And considering the fact that they have owned Buffalo as of late, I think that game is gonna be a big one.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Because we can't control the future- we can only control the moment. And in the moment, the Sabres failed to obtain the optimal outcome.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
What if the 2nd seed plays Ottawa and the 3rd seed plays Atlanta?
Ottawa is well ahead of the 6th or 7th seed right now anyways.

I don't want to play Atlanta either. For some reason, they seem to have the Sabres number as well.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't want to play Atlanta either. For some reason, they seem to have the Sabres number as well.

Since when?

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Since when?

Sabres are 1-1-1 against Atlanta this year, despite Atlanta being 6th in the conf and 13 points behind the Sabres.

Last season, the Sabres lost all 4 against Atlanta, although all were OT/SO's. This is despite finishing 13th in the conference.

1-1-5 over the last 2 seasons- I'd say they have our number.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Sabres are 1-1-1 against Atlanta this year, despite Atlanta being 6th in the conf and 13 points behind the Sabres.

Last season, the Sabres lost all 4 against Atlanta, although all were OT/SO's. This is despite finishing 13th in the conference.

They don't.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 09:26 AM

They are actually 2-1-0 this season against Atlanta.

And last year is irrelevant. Different teams last season.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I stand corrected- we are 2-1 against ATL this year, although one of the victories came in OT.

Still, despite an apparent talent gap between us and them, they always show up against us and I don't like the matchup.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I stand corrected- we are 2-1 against ATL this year, although one of the victories came in OT.

Still, despite an apparent talent gap between us and them, they always show up against us and I don't like the matchup.

Both victories came in OT.

Seeing that they are most likely going to lose Kovalchuk, Atlanta is the least of my concerns regarding the playoffs.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 09:32 AM

So who do you want to play? I don't think Toronto is going to make the playoffs.

I forsee a thread being started where Op is LIVID that we won the last game of the year to move to the 2nd seed because we will be playing someone he doesnt want to play...

MikeInRoch
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM

"Less than optimal" is not "Mediocrity". Under your definition, an 81-1 season is "mediocre".

Ebenezer
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I stopped reading at post #80...Op, the fact that you are still trying to back your position 44 hours after the game as everybody else is preparing for tonight shows how irrational you are. Worry? Sure. ***** and bust a nut for two days like you have? Irrational. I'll use Lindy Ruff as my barometer on this one. He's more focused on the success and the game tonight.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Op is wrong and he knows it.

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I need some help here:

Is this thread a bigger epic fail than his Yahoo link thread? I think it is close.

JD
01-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I'd rather them not do so good for the remainder of the season. If we drop to like the 7th seed we won't be facing Ottawa :jig: ...the sens will get eliminated 1st round if they make it

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I stopped reading at post #80...Op, the fact that you are still trying to back your position 44 hours after the game as everybody else is preparing for tonight shows how irrational you are. Worry? Sure. ***** and bust a nut for two days like you have? Irrational. I'll use Lindy Ruff as my barometer on this one. He's more focused on the success and the game tonight.

I don't have to play or coach in the game tonight- there's nothing to prepare for.

I'm irrational? We let NJ get an extra point in the standings and remain ahead of us. No one else sees a problem with that? No one else sees how these extra points can come back to burn us? I'm not the one who's being irrational.

Ebenezer
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't have to play or coach in the game tonight- there's nothing to prepare for.

I'm irrational? We let NJ get an extra point in the standings and remain ahead of us. No one else sees a problem with that? No one else sees how these extra points can come back to burn us? I'm not the one who's being irrational.

the defense rests, your honor.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 01:20 PM
My favorite part about this thread is how Op has had a few super home posts on Facebook about the Sabres. Total flip flop.

OpIv37
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
My favorite part about this thread is how Op has had a few super home posts on Facebook about the Sabres. Total flip flop.

how is that a flip flop? I'm happy when the team wins, and pissed when they lose or give up points to rivals. Isn't that what a fan is supposed to do?

Bipolar, I'll give you- sometimes I get way too excited about wins and way too pissed about losses. But that's not flip-flopping.

RockStar36
01-29-2010, 01:26 PM
how is that a flip flop? I'm happy when the team wins, and piss when they lose or give up points to rivals. Isn't that what a fan is supposed to do?

Bipolar, I'll give you- sometimes I get way too excited about wins and way too pissed about losses. But that's not flip-flopping.

My bad, flip flopping was definitely not the right term. Bipolar nails it down though. I was left speechless when you were overly positive about them on Facebook.

SabreEleven
01-29-2010, 01:29 PM
My bad, flip flopping was definitely not the right term. Bipolar nails it down though. I was left speechless when you were overly positive about them on Facebook.

That wasn't OP, that was Bryan

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Op is bipolar.