PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging Nix Article

Don't Panic
01-28-2010, 05:49 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/937712.html

At a minimum, I think we're going to have a FO who has the right focus in mind when it comes to talent evaluation. My favorite part:

The Bills can only hope Nix has as much success scouting in Buffalo as he did in his last gig, as chief college scout in San Diego, from 2001 to '07. The Chargers have been an NFL power this decade. The ultimate example of Nix's don't-gamble, proven-commodity approach was quarterback Philip Rivers, whom the Chargers acquired in 2004.
"He had 51 starts [in college], and he played in a bowl game every year, and he was the most valuable player in every bowl game he ever played in," Nix said.

In other words, "I wouldn't have drafted Maybin." I think we are headed in the right direction. Although there is still a lot that needs to be done, I can see this group getting us there.

kernowboy
01-28-2010, 06:01 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/937712.html

At a minimum, I think we're going to have a FO who has the right focus in mind when it comes to talent evaluation. My favorite part:

In other words, "I wouldn't have drafted Maybin." I think we are headed in the right direction. Although there is still a lot that needs to be done, I can see this group getting us there.

I think there is a knack to also grabbing guys who may not have the experience, but whose potential far exceeds those who do have the experience.

With Maybin, I see the problem as being drafting him but having no idea how to use him. I recall people thinking he was being drafted as an OLB on draft day.

I'm find with drafting juniors just as long as we have an immediate plan to use them. For example, if we draft a junior or senior LT it makes no difference as we will be starting them. You don't overlook Campbell, Bulaga and Davis to draft Brown simply because they have less experience.

Night Train
01-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Maybin & Whitner were Jauron picks. Simply amazing they gave him final say but Marv wasn't current with anyone and wouldn't allow Modrak to call it over his hand picked coach.

No more one year wonders, niche/bad character picks.

Throne Logic
01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm find with drafting juniors just as long as we have an immediate plan to use them. For example, if we draft a junior or senior LT it makes no difference as we will be starting them. You don't overlook Campbell, Bulaga and Davis to draft Brown simply because they have less experience.

According to Nix, drafting a Junior will only happen if that Junior has a good solid track record as a Freshman and Sophmore. He's not going to take a Junior who did nothing prior to that year.

The key is that draftable players must have a proven track record of success.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
According to Nix, drafting a Junior will only happen if that Junior has a good solid track record as a Freshman and Sophmore. He's not going to take a Junior who did nothing prior to that year.

The key is that draftable players must have a proven track record of success.

Yep and this sounds like Buluga or Claussen. Both have extense playing time and both are extremely well coached.

jamze132
01-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I was impressed when I heard Nix was coming to Buffalo last year. The dude did an outstanding job in SD.

Don't Panic
01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't think Nix would pass on a guy just because he's a junior, but he would need to have had two productive years in order to be considered.

ddaryl
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM

BUT Maybin was a SOPHMORE when he came out of college. AND he was a 1 season wonder. There was no mutiple seasons of performing, the only thing anyone knew about Maybin was he had a quick 1st step.

The Bills had absolutly no intelligent reasoning for picking a sophmore out of college at #11 when you had Orakpo who had multiple season of success sitting there for you.

Now we are forced to try and find a spot for a player a year later when we could've drafted a player who would have became a starter at the position we drafted him to play and would have had an immediate impact.

Yes we have no choice but to deal with Maybin but in hindsight it was pretty obvious how much better off we would be if we didn't do something so stupid as to draft a tweener with no real history to back up his performance