PDA

View Full Version : Wilson’s words prove to be empty

patmoran2006
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News is in Mobile, Alabama this week covering the Senior Bowl. Buddy Nix as expected is down south scouting the talent. Gaughan spoke with Nix yesterday (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/937712.html) for a piece that revolved around his scouting history, but inside the article a pair of underlying revelations came to surface.

First, it seems very likely Tom Modrak is going nowhere. Gaughan wrote that Modrak has sat next to Nix at every practice and while Nix wouldn’t comment on his status directly, he told Gaughan “There’s just nothing to say. We’re going on like we were.”

While many people debate the level of Modrak’s responsibility on the plethora of poor early round draft picks over the past decade, no one can dispute he’s been here through both the Tom Donahoe and Marv Levy eras and to some degree has had his fingerprints, at the very least on most of the selections.

But perhaps more disturbingly is the status surrounded their Director of Pro Personnel position

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/wilsons-words-prove-to-be-empty/)

kernowboy
01-28-2010, 08:29 AM
FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/wilsons-words-prove-to-be-empty/)

Is it that there was a principle problem in Guy and it makes sense to see how the guys beneath him step up rather than total overall everything taking further steps backwards before moving forwards. After all, last years draft was not devoid of talent

People called for someone with Head Coach experience, not another coordinator and you got that.

Gailey has a winning record as a Head Coach making the playoffs each season and Jerry Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to fire him. He kept a team on the end of its legs in the playoff hunt - his successor Campo gave then 3 back to back 5-11 seasons

Cowher recommended Gailey - what does that tell us about Cowher's judgement? Is Cowher's opinion less valid than Dungy's? Considering the talent Frazier has at Minnesota his defence has been ok only and why havent the likes of Washington, and Seattle gone for him?

The guys that Gailey has brought in as positional coaches have actually enjoyed success in developing players, even though the overall team has failed. Is that their fault in KC or the fault of Edwards/Haley?

This team despite going 6-10 needs evolution not revolution.

Gailey has a proven record of innovative offenses bringing the best out of the limited players at his disposal and deserves as much a chance as any other candidate.

SABURZFAN
01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
"you're looking down the wrong side of the street."

Jan Reimers
01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
None of us know how much final decision making power Modrak had in the draft - I would guess none, under either Donahoe or Jauron. He was a very highly regarded talent evalustor before he was hired here. I doubt he turned into a moron just by joining the Bills.

And we're all glad that Guy is gone. I wouldn't assume we're not going to replace him, despite what Nix says. But patience is definitely not a virtue on this board.

better days
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Is it that there was a principle problem in Guy and it makes sense to see how the guys beneath him step up rather than total overall everything taking further steps backwards before moving forwards. After all, last years draft was not devoid of talent

People called for someone with Head Coach experience, not another coordinator and you got that.

Gailey has a winning record as a Head Coach making the playoffs each season and Jerry Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to hire him. He kept a team on the end of its legs in the playoff hunt - his successor Campo gave then 3 back to back 5-11 seasons

Cowher recommended Gailey - what does that tell us about Cowher's judgement? Is Cowher's opinion less valid than Dungy's? Considering the talent Frazier has at Minnesota his defence has been ok only and why havent the likes of Washington, and Seattle gone for him?

The guys that Gailey has brought in as positional coaches have actually enjoyed success in developing players, even though the overall team has failed. Is that their fault in KC or the fault of Edwards/Haley?

This team despite going 6-10 needs evolution not revolution.

Gailey has a proven record of innovative offenses bringing the best out of the limited players at his disposal and deserves as much a chance as any other candidate.

Good post, except you meant to say Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to fire him.

patmoran2006
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
None of us know how much final decision making power Modrak had in the draft - I would guess none, under either Donahoe or Jauron. He was a very highly regarded talent evalustor before he was hired here. I doubt he turned into a moron just by joining the Bills.

And we're all glad that Guy is gone. I wouldn't assume we're not going to replace him, despite what Nix says. But patience is definitely not a virtue on this board.

Should patience be a virture after 10 years of the same?

kernowboy
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Good post, except you meant to say Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to fire him.

LOL thanks, a freudian slip there

Jan Reimers
01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Not necessarily, but we don't always have to go immediately on the warpath, condemning every move and decision that the Bills make, either.

DesertFox24
01-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Are we doing the same thing???

Nix helped build the chargers if he was 10 years younger everyone in media land would love the hire.

Modrak is a good scout and you probably see more of what he offers in late round picks. I know assuming makes an ass out of you and me, but usually the GM head coach will pick the first two or three rounds because those are the guys that the know the most and then the scouts usually pick the remaining rounds. Modrak himself eluded to that the year we took Steve Johnson, Bell, and Cox said the scouts really loved this year because they had a bunch of later rounds picks and the coach and GM usually let them pick.

ddaryl
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
none the less the moves Ralph has made AFTER he cleary said big changes we're coming sure do seem to appear to be more of the same old crap...

Maybe they get it right, but the offseason moves thus far have not improved my optomism... I'm just sitting back waiting to see how they handle the rest of this offseason.

trapezeus
01-28-2010, 09:42 AM
the best part of the article is the mention of the KC staff that is coming. "oh, taking underperforming assets and promoting them will yield better results"

That makes no sense. yes, people can be with bad organizations and be good coaches. but taking a chunk of a failed coaching staff is not a good idea.

The odds are astronomical for them to turn this thing around. i simply don't see how 2010 will be any different from last year. it will be worse. perhaps, i'll go to the zonebux store and bet the entire amount taht the bills will end up worse than 6-10 next year. it's as clear as day at this point. It literally will take an action of GOD to make this happen.

ParanoidAndroid
01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
So many of those points are up for other interpretations.... this is, of course, an opinion piece. It's a respectable one. What I see is different. Without assuming anything Wilson has affected change in at least three major ways.
1. A new head coach with head coaching experience and who has enjoyed success at building an offense fit for cold weather football....bigs, running, efficiency, protecting the QB.
2. While Buddy Nix was signed during the last offseason, he is relatively new blood for this organization and a well respected talent evaluator. Nix will be calling the draft with the assistance of Modrak. We don't actually know how much Modrak has influenced our picks in recent years, but the first year Nix was in place with him, our draft looked very solid.
3. The leadership of John Guy was not working for the organization. He is now gone. The others who are still in place, now answer to Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey.

BTW... the correct phrase is "catch lightning in a bottle."

Jan Reimers
01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
none the less the moves Ralph has made AFTER he cleary said big changes we're coming sure do seem to appear to be more of the same old crap...

Ralph is 91. At that age, a lot of things may look big to him.

ParanoidAndroid
01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
No one seems to remember how much improved the KC offense was later in that year. They got better and better.

Mike in Syracuse
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
NO ONE here knows what level of input Modrak has into the draft selections. NO ONE knows who made the final calls on the pick.

Why is everyone so willing to lame the blame at his feet? He's the Director of College Scouting not the Draft Guru.

patmoran2006
01-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Opinion piece guys.. All are entited to them

Appreciate the feedback though from both sides

Oaf
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
One of your best articles- you do a great job making incisions into the Bills Front Office, without making it sound like an editorial or an unqualified attack, and pretty much just shooting straight with good source material on how much of a failure this group is.

SABURZFAN
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
One of your best articles- you do a great job making incisions into the Bills Front Office, without making it sound like an editorial or an unqualified attack, and pretty much just shooting straight with good source material on how much of a failure this group is.

and that's where Chris Brown fails. but he has his head so far in their asses.....

Beebe's Kid
01-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I, personally, don't think this is more of the same at all. Nix/Gailey is not Brandon/Jauron. The entire coaching staff has been shaken up. The days of "Club Dick" are over, and we have a coach that is known for holding players accountable. We also have a GM that has an amazing track record of evaluating talent, and a list of references that contains some very impressive names. As far as references, I guess at the end of the day, I would listen to Cowher and Jones on Gailey before I judge him for getting ****-canned in KC.

I, for the first time in a long time, feel like there is actually a plan on OBD. Not only is there a plan, there are people that are capable of carrying that plan out in place. It seems that they are working tirelessly on rebuilding a staff with guys they think are going to be assets to the club moving forward.

The players have been chiming in that they are excited. They all come from successful football backgrounds. That is how they get to the NFL. You do not get to be a quality player, by slacking. While they, unfortunately, took advantage of the laid back culture under Jauron, but they have to be excited about the prospect of winning, and not being the butt of jokes anymore.

Ralph is the owner, and unless you have 1 Bil sitting around, you aren't going to change that. You can piss and moan and make posts crying "more of the same..." blah blah blah. There is some exciting things going on with this franchise, and I feel there is actually some structure and organization, meaning there are goals and a purpose, at OBD.

To cry and bemoan the choices won't change them. To continue to take shots at RW will do you no good. This is not the same as the last ten years. This team would have won 2-3 more games this year with a quality coaching staff, and more strength and conditioning. Imagine what we could have done with a real OC?

I know the crying will never stop, it's what too many fans misconstrue being a fan to be... but I think you may have to ***** about something else next off-season...hopefully your are crying because we didn't run up the score enough in the SB, but I would settle for how we got knocked out of the playoffs.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't assume we're not going to replace him, despite what Nix says.

Funny, but it looks to me like we've been doing a lot of not replacing. We've been cutting our payroll significantly via attrition. That must be the big changes that Wilson promised. We have been sucking so what I'm going to do is make sure I lop a whole bunch of management resources out of the organization. At first I thought we were getting a true GM and I was happy with that...but who replaced NIX? Then a HC was hired that is also going to be OC. Now it sound like a key position responsible for talent on the team is being eliminated. Things seem to be getting more departmentalized and simplified inside the departments managerially. As a result of that a whole lot less money is being spent on support services to help make this team successful. And you want to assume everything is going to be OK? I'd say assuming everything is going to be a terrible mess would be much more in order as it's supported by evidence and history.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 10:28 AM
another outstanding analyst: "we are getting better because it's not Jauron." Yeah, that's really intelligent. Before Jauron it was Moolarkey. Before Moolarkey it was Williams. Before Williams it was Phillips. Before Phillips it was Levy. After Gailey it will be the next guy who improves us because he's not Gailey. Man that Kool-Aid must have extra sweetner in it. Are you sure it isn't the Jim Jones variety?

I, personally, don't think this is more of the same at all. Nix/Gailey is not Brandon/Jauron. The entire coaching staff has been shaken up. The days of "Club Dick" are over, and we have a coach that is known for holding players accountable. We also have a GM that has an amazing track record of evaluating talent, and a list of references that contains some very impressive names. As far as references, I guess at the end of the day, I would listen to Cowher and Jones on Gailey before I judge him for getting ****-canned in KC.

I, for the first time in a long time, feel like there is actually a plan on OBD. Not only is there a plan, there are people that are capable of carrying that plan out in place. It seems that they are working tirelessly on rebuilding a staff with guys they think are going to be assets to the club moving forward.

The players have been chiming in that they are excited. They all come from successful football backgrounds. That is how they get to the NFL. You do not get to be a quality player, by slacking. While they, unfortunately, took advantage of the laid back culture under Jauron, but they have to be excited about the prospect of winning, and not being the butt of jokes anymore.

Ralph is the owner, and unless you have 1 Bil sitting around, you aren't going to change that. You can piss and moan and make posts crying "more of the same..." blah blah blah. There is some exciting things going on with this franchise, and I feel there is actually some structure and organization, meaning there are goals and a purpose, at OBD.

To cry and bemoan the choices won't change them. To continue to take shots at RW will do you no good. This is not the same as the last ten years. This team would have won 2-3 more games this year with a quality coaching staff, and more strength and conditioning. Imagine what we could have done with a real OC?

I know the crying will never stop, it's what too many fans misconstrue being a fan to be... but I think you may have to ***** about something else next off-season...hopefully your are crying because we didn't run up the score enough in the SB, but I would settle for how we got knocked out of the playoffs.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 10:35 AM

It's also not the right time to let Modrak go if that is the intent...the draft prep has been in place for months. To let him go now might be worse because you are going to have to have somebody come up to speed in just a seven week period? That is bad management.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Opinion piece guys.. All are entited to them

Appreciate the feedback though from both sides

Then please label it Editorial instead of story.

psubills62
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I find it amazing how good a job the Bills do of blaming the one guy they fired instead of the 20 guys they've kept.

Mike in Syracuse
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
and that's where Chris Brown fails. but he has his head so far in their asses.....

Ummm....he works for them. Not good for your job security if you hammer your employer

patmoran2006
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Respectfully, and this is just my own opinion-- I think your last paragraph hits on exactly what I'm talking.

Guy will be replaced. By yet another current staffer who will get promoted from within.

And that's my point.. When if ever is this team going to go outside the organization to new blood in here to do things differently.

I think we can ALL assume reasonably after 10 years that the current staff does not work.

So the fact that we continue to retain these pieces or fire them and replace them from within gets at exactly what Im talking about-- Ralph Wilson's words are empty.

Let me ask you this.. IN what way, shape or form is Ralph Wilson showing a "committment" to winning to me, you or ANYONE else?

SABURZFAN
01-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Ummm....he works for them. Not good for your job security if you hammer your employer

so in other words, he's a "yes" man. that's the problem why this franchise has sucked for so many years. too many Chris Brown's licking The Old Fart's balls.

justasportsfan
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Meh.

That article is nothing but saying that Modrak is the problem which does not have any basis other than Moran's opinion. I'll take Nix's opinion of what happened through the years over what a poster thinks MIGHT have happened.

ByrdsTheWord
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
What if Ralph is one of those people that lives til their 120 yrs old?

SABURZFAN
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM

the drool cups will be 55 gallon drums.

trapezeus
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM

no playoffs extends to 40 years?

Jan Reimers
01-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Let me ask you this.. IN what way, shape or form is Ralph Wilson showing a "committment" to winning to me, you or ANYONE else?
He has hired Chan Gailey, who has won as a HC and coordinator almost everywhere he's been. In fact, I believe Dallas had 2 losing seasons before, and 3 after, Gailey had his 2 season, 18-14 record there. He was 11-5 both seasons as Miami's OC with Jay Fiedler, won in Pittsburgh with Tomczak and Stewart, and was reccomended by Cowher. But what I mostly hear is about his one year with a bad KC team, despite his good work with Thigpen.

Brandon is out of the football side, replaced by a man with 49 years in football. Nix has played, coached, scouted, and was Assistant GM at San Diego when they rebuilt their team, then came here last year and was part of a highly succesful draft. But what I mostly hear is about his age and that he was hired from within.

Guy is gone. Our two best assistants, Catavolos and Sanders, have been retained, as has Modrak. A well respected talent evaluator before he got here, Modrak was most probably never the top decision maker during our poor drafts over the past several years. But what I mostly hear is "get rid of everybody who has ever had a role with this team," as if even the quality people should be fired due to guilt by association.

I think we've made a good start with these moves and non-moves.

EDS
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
He has hired Chan Gailey, who has won as a HC and coordinator almost everywhere he's been. In fact, I believe Dallas had 2 losing seasons before, and 3 after, Gailey had his 2 season, 18-14 record there. He was 11-5 both seasons as Miami's OC with Jay Fiedler, won in Pittsburgh with Tomczak and Stewart, and was reccomended by Cowher. But what I mostly hear is about his one year with a bad KC team, despite his good work with Thigpen.

Brandon is out of the football side, replaced by a man with 49 years in football. Nix has played, coached, scouted, and was Assistant GM at San Diego when they rebuilt their team, then came here last year and was part of a highly succesful draft. But what I mostly hear is about his age and that he was hired from within.

Guy is gone. Our two best assistants, Catavolos and Sanders, have been retained, as has Modrak. A well respected talent evaluator before he got here, Modrak was most probably never the top decision maker during our poor drafts over the past several years. But what I mostly hear is "get rid of everybody who has ever had a role with this team," as if even the quality people should be fired due to guilt by association.

I think we've made a good start with these moves and non-moves.

The Bills track record speaks for itself. Tom Donahoe, Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, et al., were successful prior to arriving in Buffalo.

Does anyone believe that any other team in the NFL would have considered Nix for a GM job this season? Does anyone believe that any other team in the NFL would have considered Chan Gailey for head coach this season?

Here's to hoping Nix and Gailey bring better results to Buffalo.

better days
01-28-2010, 01:17 PM
the best part of the article is the mention of the KC staff that is coming. "oh, taking underperforming assets and promoting them will yield better results"

That makes no sense. yes, people can be with bad organizations and be good coaches. but taking a chunk of a failed coaching staff is not a good idea.

The odds are astronomical for them to turn this thing around. i simply don't see how 2010 will be any different from last year. it will be worse. perhaps, i'll go to the zonebux store and bet the entire amount taht the bills will end up worse than 6-10 next year. it's as clear as day at this point. It literally will take an action of GOD to make this happen.

Wow, are you a pessimist. Do you really think Van Pelt was a better OC than Gailey will be? We will have to wait & see about the defense, but factor in all the injuries & turmoil last year. I think the Bills go at least 8-8 next year.

Bill Cody
01-28-2010, 01:22 PM
There’s a reason Gailey spent a decade without a NFL head coaching job. He’s regarded as an excellent coordinator but not as a head coach. It seemed nearly fitting yesterday that Gailey five assistants, most of whom came from his 2008 Kansas City Chiefs staff. This is the same staff that partially oversaw a team that went 2-14 and ranked 26<SUP>th</SUP> in the league in points two years ago.

We're putting lipstick on a pig. It's depressing.

better days
01-28-2010, 01:22 PM
The Bills track record speaks for itself. Tom Donahoe, Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, et al., were successful prior to arriving in Buffalo.

Does anyone believe that any other team in the NFL would have considered Nix for a GM job this season? Does anyone believe that any other team in the NFL would have considered Chan Gailey for head coach this season?

To be fair, only two other teams were looking for a new GM & only one or two were looking for a new HC.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
You guys are blind. Gailey and Nix are successful headstrong guys. They love a challenge. No one is going to tell them they can't be successful. But you believe the crap too. They are not getting the resources they need to be successful. They are already stretched too thin and have only been working for a month. Of course they believe in themselves and feel confident. Someone above them has to make sure they have what they need to be successful and all they are doing from above is taking away. Keep the blinders on. These people who in a different situation could be good are going to get it handed to them here.

Jan Reimers
01-28-2010, 01:32 PM

All I can say is that Nix is not Donahoe, and Gailey is neither Williams nor Mularkey. I know we're all frustrated, but I don't know why so many people automatically project the failure of past Bills' employees onto completely new and different hires.

Nix is a gritty, no nonsense guy with 49 years of football experience. Donahoe is an arrogant, suave empty suit who had to be the center of attention with his "genius" draft picks (see McGahee, e.g.). There is absolutely no similarity.

Gailey has head coaching experience and has had success with a number of different offenses and a variety of different QBs. Williams was a defensive coordinator who was hired by Donahoe because of his highly organized notebooks. Mularkey, as I remember, was a tight ends coach. Again, I fail to see the similarity of Gailey to past failures.

trapezeus
01-28-2010, 01:40 PM
To be fair, only two other teams were looking for a new GM & only one or two were looking for a new HC.

I'm only recent a pessimist. I've spent so many years trying to think, "oh yeah, that's a great change." but when you take your fan glasses off and you look at the results, you realize the team has no idea what its doing.

this coaching search was so pathetic. Not a single guy was motivated by money that was worth having. and it has something to do with the organization of people who have reputations of sucking, meddling, and not knowing how to let others help them.

this is a long time theme. it's only recently becoming so dire that an NFL job was almost unfillable.

Studies about underperforming highschools around america found that if you were serious about changing the school's performance, you had to identify a group, not a single savior, but a group of over qualified teachers. Let them come in a group and feel like they could make positive change.

What they found that motivated groups who knew what their task was, fought harder to get through red tape and didn't take the status quo as an alternative. in schools where they brought in one person with minimal qualifications, fell into the same traps that everyone did. no matter their intention or qualification, they were swallowed up.

So in that analogy, Ralph wilson lets his failing school get "upgraded" by having the dropouts take over teaching positions and hope grades will improve.

He could have hired cowher, and given him the staff that cowher knows would succeed and a draft run entirely by his GM and himself. That core would come in more determined and more positive that change would occur. But i guess Wilson thought Lunchlady Jo was a better choice.

We'll await the results. I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst. In my financial modelling class years ago, my professor had told me when you make financial models that show upside and downside scenarios, you should never name your worst case scenario, "worst case scenario" because you'll be stunned about the events that occur in this world that you couldn't dream up.

Case being the bills could end up 0-16, without a coach, and in moving vans, and they'll still find a way to surprise you that they did worse than expectations.

Bill Cody
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
We'll await the results. I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

Yup.

If Cowher being hired as HC would have been like having your best bud give you the steaming hot nympho while he took the two bagger, bringing in Gailey is like having the police raid your bachelor party.:help!:

Demon
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Modrak wanted to draft Brian Orakpo. He was over ruled by Dick Jauron. He isn't the problem. His scouting is good. His decison making, not so much. He can be useful if Nix is the big boss. Oh wait, Nix IS the big boss.

Overdorf is still a problem and he's there. He's the guy people should be attacking.

EDS
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
All I can say is that Nix is not Donahoe, and Gailey is neither Williams nor Mularkey. I know we're all frustrated, but I don't know why so many people automatically project the failure of past Bills' employees onto completely new and different hires.

Nix is a gritty, no nonsense guy with 49 years of football experience. Donahoe is an arrogant, suave empty suit who had to be the center of attention with his "genius" draft picks (see McGahee, e.g.). There is absolutely no similarity.

Gailey has head coaching experience and has had success with a number of different offenses and a variety of different QBs. Williams was a defensive coordinator who was hired by Donahoe because of his highly organized notebooks. Mularkey, as I remember, was a tight ends coach. Again, I fail to see the similarity of Gailey to past failures.

I am not frustrated at all. I am simply looking at the situation with a level head. The teams track record speaks for itself. Outside of the strong work of Bill Polian, the team has not had much success in decades.

I hope the new team succeeds but they do not pass the initial smell test.

patmoran2006
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Modrak wanted to draft Brian Orakpo. He was over ruled by Dick Jauron. He isn't the problem. His scouting is good. His decison making, not so much. He can be useful if Nix is the big boss. Oh wait, Nix IS the big boss.

Overdorf is still a problem and he's there. He's the guy people should be attacking.

Good point (about Overdorf).

WeAreArthurMoates
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Just so you know Modrak wanted Cushing not Orakpo, but point taken.

Bill Cody
01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Modrak wanted to draft Brian Orakpo.

no no that wasn't Modrak that was just about this entire board. I think we even had a billboard. But Ralph found out and said no.

Mudflap1
01-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Good article, on point.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
OK Jan. You keep saying it. You keep telling us how these guys have a great track record and their history indicates they are going to be successful. If/when they finally fall on their faces will you admit they were set up to fail and no one is going to be successful in this situation?

I think you are putting too much on these guys. OBD got a couple old guys they could sell to people like you. They'll do just fine driving them into the ground. How many rounds of this are you going to fall for? By the way, Williams not just a good textbook organizer he's a damn good coach!

Beebe's Kid
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
another outstanding analyst: "we are getting better because it's not Jauron." Yeah, that's really intelligent. Before Jauron it was Moolarkey. Before Moolarkey it was Williams. Before Williams it was Phillips. Before Phillips it was Levy. After Gailey it will be the next guy who improves us because he's not Gailey. Man that Kool-Aid must have extra sweetner in it. Are you sure it isn't the Jim Jones variety?

another outstanding "the sky is falling" analysis. I had no problem with Levy, Phillips, or Mularkey. I do not necessarily blame Greggo, either. Jauron was a problem, I think we will see a lot this up coming year. It will not be good enough for you, but that is just because you clearly don't enjoy the Bills as recreational, or for enjoyment.

Maybe you could use some Kool-Aid, or a ****ing hug. There has been a lot of changes this off season. The people in charge of our game plan, and player personnel are different. I guess we just view it differently. If the Bills lose, I don't like it, but it is clearly personal with you.

better days
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
OK Jan. You keep saying it. You keep telling us how these guys have a great track record and their history indicates they are going to be successful. If/when they finally fall on their faces will you admit they were set up to fail and no one is going to be successful in this situation?

I think you are putting too much on these guys. OBD got a couple old guys they could sell to people like you. They'll do just fine driving them into the ground. How many rounds of this are you going to fall for? By the way, Williams not just a good textbook organizer he's a damn good coach!

Williams set himself up to fail by scrapping a very good defense when it was the offense that needed fixing when he got to Buffalo. He is a good DC but has never proven to be a good HC.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Williams set himself up to fail by scrapping a very good defense when it was the offense that needed fixing when he got to Buffalo. He is a good DC but has never proven to be a good HC.

He did not scrap the defense the team was gutted through no doing of his own.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Unlike you apparently I don't like being told steak is on the menu and then getting blindfolded and spoon fed ****. No, I don't get any enjoyment out of that and i'm not going to perpetuate it either.

another outstanding "the sky is falling" analysis. I had no problem with Levy, Phillips, or Mularkey. I do not necessarily blame Greggo, either. Jauron was a problem, I think we will see a lot this up coming year. It will not be good enough for you, but that is just because you clearly don't enjoy the Bills as recreational, or for enjoyment.

Maybe you could use some Kool-Aid, or a ****ing hug. There has been a lot of changes this off season. The people in charge of our game plan, and player personnel are different. I guess we just view it differently. If the Bills lose, I don't like it, but it is clearly personal with you.

patmoran2006
01-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Perhaps the problem with a lot of fans lie in false promises (again) by Wilson, who gave his "commmitment to winning" quote and built up false hopes.

Many people, msyelf included figured that would led to a proven head coach like a Cowher or Gruden (admitted as a miracle) but at the very least someone like Billick, SChottenheimer or even a Jim Fassel.

More importantly, his quote made it sound like we'd bring in new blood as a GM. But what did we do? we didnt even INTERVIEW an outside candidate.. How in God's name can a team go 10 years playoff'less and NOT see the light that new blood is needed?

I have no problem with Nix OR Gailey.. Nix is an excellent scout and Gailey is a good coordinator. But that's exactly what they are. A scout and a coordinator.

There is no way a team that's truly serious about competiting for championships is hiring Gailey as a HC and Nix as a 70-year old first time GM.

And in the article, after a decade of mostly piss poor pro personnel evaluation, its states that while Guy is fired we're stil likely to do the status quo; which is promote from within instead of bringing some else in on board.

I'm not disrespecting you or your opinions, I just very strongly disagree. But to Wilson's credit, its his ability to sell what's going on to people like yourself that allow Ralph Wilson Stadium to be sold on 7 Sundays per year.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Nix did not get replaced either. Is Guy getting replaced? Gailey is hired to do at least two jobs if not five. He's bringing in a whole pile of low paid guys behind him too. This whole thing stinks and these guys are screwed.

Perhaps the problem with a lot of fans lie in false promises (again) by Wilson, who gave his "commmitment to winning" quote and built up false hopes.

Many people, msyelf included figured that would led to a proven head coach like a Cowher or Gruden (admitted as a miracle) but at the very least someone like Billick, SChottenheimer or even a Jim Fassel.

More importantly, his quote made it sound like we'd bring in new blood as a GM. But what did we do? we didnt even INTERVIEW an outside candidate.. How in God's name can a team go 10 years playoff'less and NOT see the light that new blood is needed?

I have no problem with Nix OR Gailey.. Nix is an excellent scout and Gailey is a good coordinator. But that's exactly what they are. A scout and a coordinator.

There is no way a team that's truly serious about competiting for championships is hiring Gailey as a HC and Nix as a 70-year old first time GM.

And in the article, after a decade of mostly piss poor pro personnel evaluation, its states that while Guy is fired we're stil likely to do the status quo; which is promote from within instead of bringing some else in on board.

I'm not disrespecting you or your opinions, I just very strongly disagree. But to Wilson's credit, its his ability to sell what's going on to people like yourself that allow Ralph Wilson Stadium to be sold on 7 Sundays per year.

DynaPaul
01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Well that article hit the nail on the head.

billistic
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
The inscription on Ralph's headstone:

"Made a ton of money.

Sold a lot of crap to crap enthusiasts."

better days
01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
He did not scrap the defense the team was gutted through no doing of his own.

Yeah he did. I remember at the time one of the players saying something to the effect why change a top 10 defense & his reply was my defense was #1. Gregg was the person responsable for the gutting of that defense. If he left the defense alone he could have used draft picks on the offense but no.............

Typ0
01-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah he did. I remember at the time one of the players saying something to the effect why change a top 10 defense & his reply was my defense was #1. Gregg was the person responsable for the gutting of that defense. If he left the defense alone he could have used draft picks on the offense but no.............

At that time the team needed to cut lose a pile of contracts and take a hit that year to get out of cap jail a couple years down the road. Both sides of the ball were subject to a complete rebuild. Williams promise was to rebuild the defense in the fashion he did in TEN which was highly competitive. He was going to be rebuilding anyway it only made sense at the time to do it in a way he was most comfortable with. But the reason behind the rebuild was not Williams it was the huge long term contracts that Butler had signed people to.

better days
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
At that time the team needed to cut lose a pile of contracts and take a hit that year to get out of cap jail a couple years down the road. Both sides of the ball were subject to a complete rebuild. Williams promise was to rebuild the defense in the fashion he did in TEN which was highly competitive. He was going to be rebuilding anyway it only made sense at the time to do it in a way he was most comfortable with. But the reason behind the rebuild was not Williams it was the huge long term contracts that Butler had signed people to.

Pat Williams wanted to stay in Buffalo & would have signed with the Bills for a reasonable amount but Gregg did not want him. Gregg was the one responsable for many of the defensive players that were let go & to say otherwise is wrong & revisionist history.

Typ0
01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Pat Williams wanted to stay in Buffalo & would have signed with the Bills for a reasonable amount but Gregg did not want him. Gregg was the one responsable for many of the defensive players that were let go & to say otherwise is wrong & revisionist history.

Williams left as a free agent and signed the best contract he could. Because you have your opinion and are seemingly one of the people that things everyone is willing to take a hometown discount to be here (despite the fact that we can't pay superbucks to get people here) does not make anything revisionist history. The fact is he left a free agent. You are the making the revisions.

justasportsfan
01-28-2010, 09:05 PM

will it be because of coaching or players?

mark1126
01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Guy was a scapegoat and worked on the pro player personnel side of things..even Nix said building thru free agency doesnt work so its not meaningful what Guy did or didnt do..the bills issues are not solved becuase he is gone..we have a scout promoted to GM, modrak still here, brandon, ralph, a head coach fired from a college team..and a coaching staff from KC and Georgia Tech...no offensive line..schoebel possibly retirement, etc...this is gonna be real bad people..

Dying_-2-_Live
01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Ralph Wilson doesnt say anything of importance anymore.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-29-2010, 01:35 AM
This Franchise will do nothing till Ralph is gone it hasn't been the Juron era its been the Wilson era and that is the problem