• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Wilson’s words prove to be empty

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News is in Mobile, Alabama this week covering the Senior Bowl. Buddy Nix as expected is down south scouting the talent. Gaughan spoke with Nix yesterday for a piece that revolved around his scouting history, but inside the article a pair of underlying revelations came to surface.

First, it seems very likely Tom Modrak is going nowhere. Gaughan wrote that Modrak has sat next to Nix at every practice and while Nix wouldn’t comment on his status directly, he told Gaughan “There’s just nothing to say. We’re going on like we were.”

While many people debate the level of Modrak’s responsibility on the plethora of poor early round draft picks over the past decade, no one can dispute he’s been here through both the Tom Donahoe and Marv Levy eras and to some degree has had his fingerprints, at the very least on most of the selections.

But perhaps more disturbingly is the status surrounded their Director of Pro Personnel position
    FULL STORY

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Re: Wilson’s words prove to be empty

Originally posted by patmoran2006
    Is it that there was a principle problem in Guy and it makes sense to see how the guys beneath him step up rather than total overall everything taking further steps backwards before moving forwards. After all, last years draft was not devoid of talent

People called for someone with Head Coach experience, not another coordinator and you got that.

Gailey has a winning record as a Head Coach making the playoffs each season and Jerry Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to fire him. He kept a team on the end of its legs in the playoff hunt - his successor Campo gave then 3 back to back 5-11 seasons

Cowher recommended Gailey - what does that tell us about Cowher's judgement? Is Cowher's opinion less valid than Dungy's? Considering the talent Frazier has at Minnesota his defence has been ok only and why havent the likes of Washington, and Seattle gone for him?

The guys that Gailey has brought in as positional coaches have actually enjoyed success in developing players, even though the overall team has failed. Is that their fault in KC or the fault of Edwards/Haley?

This team despite going 6-10 needs evolution not revolution.

Gailey has a proven record of innovative offenses bringing the best out of the limited players at his disposal and deserves as much a chance as any other candidate.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
      short bus extraordinaire
      • Jul 2002

"you're looking down the wrong side of the street."
      Originally posted by yordad
      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

None of us know how much final decision making power Modrak had in the draft - I would guess none, under either Donahoe or Jauron. He was a very highly regarded talent evalustor before he was hired here. I doubt he turned into a moron just by joining the Bills.

And we're all glad that Guy is gone. I wouldn't assume we're not going to replace him, despite what Nix says. But patience is definitely not a virtue on this board.
        Last edited by Jan Reimers; 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kernowboy
          Is it that there was a principle problem in Guy and it makes sense to see how the guys beneath him step up rather than total overall everything taking further steps backwards before moving forwards. After all, last years draft was not devoid of talent

People called for someone with Head Coach experience, not another coordinator and you got that.

Gailey has a winning record as a Head Coach making the playoffs each season and Jerry Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to hire him. He kept a team on the end of its legs in the playoff hunt - his successor Campo gave then 3 back to back 5-11 seasons

Cowher recommended Gailey - what does that tell us about Cowher's judgement? Is Cowher's opinion less valid than Dungy's? Considering the talent Frazier has at Minnesota his defence has been ok only and why havent the likes of Washington, and Seattle gone for him?

The guys that Gailey has brought in as positional coaches have actually enjoyed success in developing players, even though the overall team has failed. Is that their fault in KC or the fault of Edwards/Haley?

This team despite going 6-10 needs evolution not revolution.

Gailey has a proven record of innovative offenses bringing the best out of the limited players at his disposal and deserves as much a chance as any other candidate.
          Good post, except you meant to say Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to fire him.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            None of us know how much final decision making power Modrak had in the draft - I would guess none, under either Donahoe or Jauron. He was a very highly regarded talent evalustor before he was hired here. I doubt he turned into a moron just by joining the Bills.

And we're all glad that Guy is gone. I wouldn't assume we're not going to replace him, despite what Nix says. But patience is definitely not a virtue on this board.
            Should patience be a virture after 10 years of the same?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Originally posted by better days
              Good post, except you meant to say Jones is on record as saying it was a mistake to fire him.
              LOL thanks, a freudian slip there

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                • May 2003

Not necessarily, but we don't always have to go immediately on the warpath, condemning every move and decision that the Bills make, either.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DesertFox24
                  • Jul 2005

Are we doing the same thing???

Nix helped build the chargers if he was 10 years younger everyone in media land would love the hire.

Modrak is a good scout and you probably see more of what he offers in late round picks. I know assuming makes an ass out of you and me, but usually the GM head coach will pick the first two or three rounds because those are the guys that the know the most and then the scouts usually pick the remaining rounds. Modrak himself eluded to that the year we took Steve Johnson, Bell, and Cox said the scouts really loved this year because they had a bunch of later rounds picks and the coach and GM usually let them pick.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

none the less the moves Ralph has made AFTER he cleary said big changes we're coming sure do seem to appear to be more of the same old crap...

Maybe they get it right, but the offseason moves thus far have not improved my optomism... I'm just sitting back waiting to see how they handle the rest of this offseason.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

the best part of the article is the mention of the KC staff that is coming. "oh, taking underperforming assets and promoting them will yield better results"

That makes no sense. yes, people can be with bad organizations and be good coaches. but taking a chunk of a failed coaching staff is not a good idea.

The odds are astronomical for them to turn this thing around. i simply don't see how 2010 will be any different from last year. it will be worse. perhaps, i'll go to the zonebux store and bet the entire amount taht the bills will end up worse than 6-10 next year. it's as clear as day at this point. It literally will take an action of GOD to make this happen.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

So many of those points are up for other interpretations.... this is, of course, an opinion piece. It's a respectable one. What I see is different. Without assuming anything Wilson has affected change in at least three major ways.
                        1. A new head coach with head coaching experience and who has enjoyed success at building an offense fit for cold weather football....bigs, running, efficiency, protecting the QB.
                        2. While Buddy Nix was signed during the last offseason, he is relatively new blood for this organization and a well respected talent evaluator. Nix will be calling the draft with the assistance of Modrak. We don't actually know how much Modrak has influenced our picks in recent years, but the first year Nix was in place with him, our draft looked very solid.
                        3. The leadership of John Guy was not working for the organization. He is now gone. The others who are still in place, now answer to Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey.

BTW... the correct phrase is "catch lightning in a bottle."

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
                          none the less the moves Ralph has made AFTER he cleary said big changes we're coming sure do seem to appear to be more of the same old crap...
                          Ralph is 91. At that age, a lot of things may look big to him.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

No one seems to remember how much improved the KC offense was later in that year. They got better and better.

Comment

• Mike in Syracuse
                              • Jul 2002

NO ONE here knows what level of input Modrak has into the draft selections. NO ONE knows who made the final calls on the pick.

Why is everyone so willing to lame the blame at his feet? He's the Director of College Scouting not the Draft Guru.

Comment

Working...
                              X