PDA

View Full Version : Gailey "tainted" by Dallas firing after 2 seasons?

jcblanco22
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
The Dallas media actually provided him plenty of support in the wake of his dismissal. For those who want some perspective on what might have really gone on behind the scenes, and why his firing a decade ago from his only other HC gig in the NFL does not mean he's doomed for failure, read on:

Aikman Bears Part Of The Blame (http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/cowboys/bear0112.html)

Wednesday, January 12, 2000

Aikman bears part of blame
By Jim Reeves
Knight Ridder Newspapers

IRVING, Texas — Jerry Jones came up with a horribly ludicrous reason for firing head coach Chan Gailey yesterday — the devil made him do it.

A devil, if you read Jones' rather broad hints, named Troy Aikman.

At a hurriedly called news conference to confirm what everyone knew 48 hours ago, the Cowboys' owner did everything but unfurl an Aikman poster and use a pointer to blame Gailey's demise on his quarterback and other players who either couldn't or wouldn't adjust to the head coach's offensive system.

Misdirection play or not, it was another shameful chapter for an organization that has had far too many such moments over the past five years.

It was a football decision, Jones stressed, but if the boys from the forensic lab had been present, I suspect they would have found that the knife in Gailey's back bore many fingerprints.

Were Aikman's there? Not intentionally, I'm sure — that's just not Aikman's style — but it was clear that Jones had talked to his quarterback and other key players and assistant coaches before making this decision.

jcblanco22
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Gailey Not Given Fair Chance By Cowboys (http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/cowboys/fair0113.html)

Thursday, January 13, 2000

Gailey not given a fair chance by Cowboys
By Clarence E; Hill Jr.
Knight Ridder Newspapers

FORT WORTH, Texas — Two days ago, a bloodied but unbowed Chan Gailey relinquished the reigns of the Cowboys coaching job saying he wished he had a better chance to succeed.

Yesterday, Gailey cleaned out his office at the Cowboys Valley Ranch training complex knowing full well he never had a chance to be Chan the Man, as owner Jerry Jones so aptly put it when he hired him roughly 688 days ago.

Gailey never did have a chance, not even from the beginning.

When Jones shocked the football world with his Feb. 12, 1998, announcement that Gailey would be the man to lead his downtrodden team back to prominence, he bypassed more high-profile names such as George Seifert, Terry Donahue and Sherm Lewis.

Jones said he took a chance on the unknown Gailey because he felt the team needed a radical change.

“I thought we could take that risk and hit a home run,” Jones said. “I thought a fresh approach just might be the ticket. The players tried their hearts out.”

jcblanco22
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Gailey Convenient Scapegoat for Jones (http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/cowboys/nick0112.html)

Jan. 12, 2000
Gailey convenient scapegoat for Jones

By NICK GHOLSON
Scripps Howard News Service

Is Chan Gailey a good coach? I think so, but Jerry Jones didn't ask me. He fired Gailey as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Tuesday.

When football teams stink, like the Cowboys did for much of this past season, the owner is going to so looking for the skunk. More often than not, he never gets past the office of the head coach.

They make easy and convenient fall guys.

But if Jones really went skunk-searching, he just might have to exterminate half of his roster. Troy boy might have to go. Ditto for Deion.
Though Jones dug deep in his pockets to pay millions out, all he bought was an 8-8 team. That's how I predicted the Cowboys to finish this year.

They were an 8-8 team with 8-8 talent. It was evident all through training camp. Some people just didn't want to see that or admit it.

The Cowboys and their Silver Star Network present a false picture of this football team. There are just too many writers and announcers bought and paid for by the team who keep talking about roses when all that exist are thorns. If you actually thought this team was a Super Bowl contender, then you were deceived.

RockStar36
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Whoa there buddy, I edited your posts, but can't copy/paste an entire article, just a few paragraphs with the link.

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
JC...thanks for the articles...just need to let you know...because of copywrite issues we cannot repost entire articles here at BillsZone. That's one of the few things that we can get into trouble for. Sorry to edit them. But thanks again.

RockStar36
01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
JC...thanks for the articles...just need to let you know...because of copywrite issues we cannot repost entire articles here at BillsZone. That's one of the few things that we can get into trouble for. Sorry to edit them. But thanks again.

Too slow old man!

Ebenezer
01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Too slow old man!

kids! :jig:

jcblanco22
01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry guys, I had no idea regarding the policy. Thank you for taking care of that for me.

Regarding the articles, yes, I think they really paint a different picture than what "he was fired in Dallas after only 2 seasons and had a team full of Hall of Famers" crowd paints.

HAMMER
01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
and the fastest crossing guard is.........RockStar!

Cntrygal
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I hope this works out for us!

BillsWin
01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
In my opinion, how Gailey does here revolves around Nix and his drafts.

Add in his defensive coordinator choice too.

This offseason is big-time.

He's not a bad coach, just not the one anyone wanted.

Let's hope he does well because if not, we may never escape mediocrity!

zone
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Being a disciplinarian is exactly what this young team needs. They need direction and leadership!

Typ0
01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
The Dallas media actually provided him plenty of support in the wake of his dismissal. For those who want some perspective on what might have really gone on behind the scenes, and why his firing a decade ago from his only other HC gig in the NFL does not mean he's doomed for failure.

The reason he's doomed for failure here has nothing to do with what happened in dallas.