PDA

View Full Version : Could Gailey

DesertFox24
01-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Check out this video.

I know Trent sucked this year and he will be the first to tell you that but this video tells me one thing, that he does have a strong arm and has a quick release.

I wonder if we can get better blocking and a better offensive scheme with better play calling if that could help him become a good one?

Who knows but like Losman he will be on the roster next year and get his chance to win the job whether you like it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1p_xuPKpM&feature=player_embedded

kernowboy
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I think he is someone who needs to have confidence in his line, especially his LT.

First, he had Peters deliberately letting guys through on him whilst thinking of his fat contract.

Then he had Bell letting guys through on him because of a lack of strength and maybe ability.

Get a proper elite LT, and you might kill to birds with one throw, or at the very least get a competent season out of a cheap QB

BillsMan80
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't think there's any lock he's on this roster next year. If this team drafts Bradford or Clausen, Trent will have a one way ticket out of town I would think and with his attitude and skills, a one way ticket out of football.

Jan Reimers
01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Gailey has had success with Tomczak, Stewart, Fiedler, an over-the-hill Aikman, and Thigpen, to some degree. So anything is possible.

HAMMER
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Two, not to.

psubills62
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
I could be wrong, but Edwards will be a RFA without a new CBA, correct? Makes me wonder what we'll tender him...that could tell whether or not he'll be a big part of our plans.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a QB or two drafted this year. Maybe Jarrett Brown? People keep talking about how Gailey worked well with the slashing type of QB, well Brown is a decent passer and a good runner.

better days
01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
I think there are two big problems no amount of coaching can help Trent overcome. The first is he doesn't have the ability to stay healthy. The second & bigger problem is he is not a leader. He does not have the respect of the players on the team.

Bill Cody
01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Sad to say but TE appears to be seeing the rush in his last year of starting. That's death for a QB. Could he get it together? IDK. It happened to David Carr after he took all those hits in Houston and he sucked for YEARS, not sure if he's all the way back yet. If you want an analogy it's a golfer watching his shadow on his backswing instead of the ball.

ddaryl
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
If you can teach a player how to hit a moving target consistently then sure Chan can make something of Edwards.

Reality says that kind of accuracy is understood not learned or taught.

My beef with trent is he is way too inconsistent with the moving target and really horrible with the moving target in traffic.

I also agree that trent has leadership issues, and is very soft here.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Chan would have to convince Trent that he has to be a fan. before moving forward.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
If we cannot get Bradford or Clausen... then I say keep Edwards

kernowboy
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
A geunine competition v Brohm may help both

Mitchell55
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
****, didnt see this already

ddaryl
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
A geunine competition v Brohm may help both

I'm all for a competition

but we cannot go into 2010 with Edwards, Brohm and a drafted QB.

Somehow there needs to be a solid vet QB prescense that allows us to continue to groom the eventual successor.

Buddo
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
In certain respects, you would hope so. For all his injury concerns, a good deal of Edwards problem stems, not from lack of ability, but from a lack of 'confidence'.
It isn't so much confidence in himself, as confidence in his receivers. It's an obvious legacy of the determination to play 'mistake free' that was Jauron's modus operandi.
I think it can be 'cured', and I also think the way to do it was shown in some of the play of Favre and Brees in the NFC Championship game.
The amount of quick plays they used to a receiver just off the LOS was impressive, and it was done about as quickly as possible. Most of these were about 5 yard gains, but basically were throws that were all about putting the football straight to a given place on the field. The receiver would be there.
Edwards has a 'quick release', and is also very accurate on short routes. We rarely saw any of that type of play called in the time he has been under center. (The same would apply to Fitz as well - the play didn't seem to be a part of our offence).
Get those sorts of plays back in an offensive scheme, and I think you can get Edwards playing adequately as a starter. I actually think we will see those plays anyway, from Gailey, no matter who we have under center. It could also help Edwards in respect of not getting hit so often, as the types of throws I'm talking about, happen as soon as the ball can be got away, leaving a lot less time for the D to get anywhere near him.

kernowboy
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm all for a competition

but we cannot go into 2010 with Edwards, Brohm and a drafted QB.

Somehow there needs to be a solid vet QB prescense that allows us to continue to groom the eventual successor.

There are some FA guys around like Whitehurst, Croyle, Clemens and maybe Jackson.

I don't think a QB learns from a vet, they learn from a coach who knows what he's doing and puts him in a position to succeed.

Night Train
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Could Cham play the wizard, tearing him free from his lion suit and teach him courage ?

Ever since that hit in Arizona 2 years back, he's terrified to hold the ball past 2 seconds and progress through his reads.

I would rather Gailey put the energies towards Brohm and a FA vet. I have zero confidence in Edwards anymore. He's married to the dump pass.

billistic
01-28-2010, 04:53 PM
How many young QBs play well behind an offensive line comprising azz-clowns with a new offensive coordinator every couple of months?

On the other hand, how many mediocre QBs fail to prevent their team from winning when working behind a solid O-line within a well designed and fluent offensive system?

Edwards has been Carr'ed by the hapless Bills organization.

Go get 'em, Chan.

Dr. Pepper
01-28-2010, 05:35 PM
trent lost me when he said he isnt a fan of the Bills, he "just" plays for them. he became jauronicized, aka had his balls cut off. gtfo trentative.

DesertFox24
01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Look I like Brohm a lot as well as he as the arm for all the throws and is very accurate.

That being said I would rather us draft defensive front 7 and OL and let Edwards Brohm battle it out.

Next year we could then take a QB if need be.

billistic
01-28-2010, 06:08 PM
trent lost me when he said he isnt a fan of the Bills, he "just" plays for them. he became jauronicized, aka had his balls cut off. gtfo trentative.

You'd probably be a solid fan of those who chopped your legs off at the knees.

sdbillsfan2
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
You can put an all*star line in front of him.
You can hypnotize him into believing he is Joe Montana .
You give him the simplest of play books to memorize .
Now........ how do you keep him from finding his way to the bench year after year because he's injury prone?
This problem didn't start in Buffalo, he's had a long history of short football seasons.

Keep him for the duration of his contract , then let him go ! He isn't the solution for Us !

elltrain22
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Do you think Chan can help Trent grow a pair?? If so, then maybe he might not check the dang ball down on 99.9% of this throws!!

kelly2reed4six
01-28-2010, 08:01 PM
I think there are two big problems no amount of coaching can help Trent overcome. The first is he doesn't have the ability to stay healthy. The second & bigger problem is he is not a leader. He does not have the respect of the players on the team.

A good conditioning coach could get him into shape and keep him healthy. Secondly, a good coach can develop a player into a leader....ex: Vernon Davis/Singletary.

I'm not trying to defend Trent, as he played very poorly this year. However, I think Trent has very likely been the victim of one of the worst football programs of the last decade. It very well may be too late for him to pull sh** together. It's too bad, because had he been drafted by probably one of the other 28 out of 32 other teams, he could have had a promising career.

better days
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
A good conditioning coach could get him into shape and keep him healthy. Secondly, a good coach can develop a player into a leader....ex: Vernon Davis/Singletary.

I'm not trying to defend Trent, as he played very poorly this year. However, I think Trent has very likely been the victim of one of the worst football programs of the last decade. It very well may be too late for him to pull sh** together. It's too bad, because had he been drafted by probably one of the other 28 out of 32 other teams, he could have had a promising career.

I think you are deluding yourself. Trent has an injury history going back to his H.S. days. Some guys are just injury prone while others like Favre are iron men. Leadership is a personality trait. It can't be taught. Favre & Tebow were born leaders, Trent was born a follower.