X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Nix defends Gailey hiring

In all honesty, Nix came across speaking his mind more than any other GM we ever had. Donahoe is a slick backroom dealer who knows more politics, inside scoops than football; it's not surprising that he made best deals for the Bills than any other Bills GMs. Marv, beside being old and outside of the personnel circle, was obviously more interested in coaching; it's not surprising that he picked a coach with like minded approach and tilted heavily towards Jauron in personnel decisions.

Nix, maybe more like John Butler, is a football personnel guy. I won't be surprised they never fill Joh Guy's position because he might be looking over there anyway. He laid out his plan and he followed through. You really cannot argue that part.

Remember the flash in the pan remark in the article? I read it as a shot to the likes of Bilick, Gruden who practically won superbowls with the foundation of previous regimes (though I have to give them credit for adding that special something to get over the hump), but never really accomplished anything themselves long term. Looking back, I think Cowher will fit his criteria but the Schottenheimers may have never been in his view. If he believes the next best candidate is Gailey, so be it.

In the end, the magic is really in the draft, as he so proclaimed in his hiring conference. We shall see if indeed we start to see some talents brought in after a decade of spotty records.
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Re: Nix defends Gailey hiring

I like Nixs' I dont give a damn attitude. I can see him as the only GM to get arrested for a DUI

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

I like the fact that he's outspoken, and isn't an emotionless robot, or an egomaniac who talks down to everyone.

I like the fact that Gailey adjusts his system to the players he has, unlike Jauron, who was a "pound square peg into round hole" type of guy.

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
        http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/938892.html

In all honesty, Nix came across speaking his mind more than any other GM we ever had. Donahoe is a slick backroom dealer who knows more politics, inside scoops than football; it's not surprising that he made best deals for the Bills than any other Bills GMs. Marv, beside being old and outside of the personnel circle, was obviously more interested in coaching; it's not surprising that he picked a coach with like minded approach and tilted heavily towards Jauron in personnel decisions.

Nix, maybe more like John Butler, is a football personnel guy. I won't be surprised they never fill Joh Guy's position because he might be looking over there anyway. He laid out his plan and he followed through. You really cannot argue that part.

Remember the flash in the pan remark in the article? I read it as a shot to the likes of Bilick, Gruden who practically won superbowls with the foundation of previous regimes (though I have to give them credit for adding that special something to get over the hump), but never really accomplished anything themselves long term. Looking back, I think Cowher will fit his criteria but the Schottenheimers may have never been in his view. If he believes the next best candidate is Gailey, so be it.

In the end, the magic is really in the draft, as he so proclaimed in his hiring conference. We shall see if indeed we start to see some talents brought in after a decade of spotty records.
        How can Bilick and Cowher not be given credit for their success? What predecessor would be responsible?

Comment

• Demon
          • Mar 2003

I like that Nix says what he wants and in all truth, doesn't care what anyone thinks. In reality, why should it matter? This is his last job before retirement. But i do like that about him.

Building up the coaching staff has been questionable. We'll see what he does in the FA market and once again in the draft. If he falls flat on his face, 3-4 win season is on the horizon.
          Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Shouldn't Nix be grooming a successor?

Comment

• Demon
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by EDS
              Shouldn't Nix be grooming a successor?
              Nah. The new owners in Los Angeles will clean house the right way. Fire every single person in our organization and build from scratch.
              Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsHeart
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Demon
                Nah. The new owners in Los Angeles will clean house the right way. Fire every single person in our organization and build from scratch.
                I like the sound of that, IF it was in Buffalo.

Comment

Originally posted by Demon
                  Two teams then .... as the Jags are clearly moving there soon

Comment

Working...
                  X