PDA

View Full Version : Bills Hire Special Teams coach

Shaggy826
01-29-2010, 12:35 PM
One more coach has been added to the lineup:

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/Bills-bring-DeHaven-back-to-Buffalo

T-Long
01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Good ol' Bruce is back. Besides taking the fall for the Music City Miracle, he is one of the better special team coaches out there. Good hire.

Demon
01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Worst special teams coach in the league. And responsible for Music city miracle.

Great choice.

ddaryl
01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
A solid move... Dehaven was a scapegoat for "the miracle"

Dr. Lecter
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Worst special teams coach in the league. And responsible for Music city miracle.

Great choice.

Darryl Ported was responsible for that.

DeHaven is a solid coach.

Demon
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Good ol' Bruce is back. Besides taking the fall for the Music City Miracle, he is one of the better special team coaches out there. Good hire.

He is? You must not have been watching the Seahawks last 3 seasons.

What a complete joke this team is. Replace Bobby April with DeHaven? LOL

wow.... i'm speechless.

T-Long
01-29-2010, 12:44 PM

wow.... i'm speechless.

The Seahawks don't have a good team at all...and you are gonna put the blame on a Special Teams coach? Yeah, it's all his fault.

Granted, I liked Bobby April as much as anybody, but he's gone now. If he had hired some up and comer with no real history of success, we'd be killing him. But, Gailey goes out and finds a guy who has been very successful in the league overall and has been with this organization for a long time.

I applaud the hire.

Ron Burgundy
01-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Bobby's the best in the business, and it's a damn shame he wasn't retained.

bigbub2352
01-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Good hire, developed the best Special Teams coach of all time in Steve Tasker, also developed guys like Mark Pike, Adam Linger etc...

T-Long
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Bobby's the best in the business, and it's a damn shame he wasn't retained.
he wasn't retained because he was pissed off he didn't get the HC gig for the final few games. Either way he would have been gone because he would have been interviewed for the HC job and not gotten it and then would have left anyways. No reason for him to even be brought up considering he wasn't coming back regardless.

Demon
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
The Seahawks don't have a good team at all...and you are gonna put the blame on a Special Teams coach? Yeah, it's all his fault.

Granted, I liked Bobby April as much as anybody, but he's gone now. If he had hired some up and comer with no real history of success, we'd be killing him. But, Gailey goes out and finds a guy who has been very successful in the league overall and has been with this organization for a long time.

I applaud the hire.

I've heard this all week about most of the coaches we hired. They had bad talent. Bad luck. Blah blah blah. What do you think we have? Great talent?

Adding special team players isn't really very expensive. Teaching and understanding roles is what is important. DeHaven could have added low budget players. Failed. He didn't teach his guys anything. Fail. What has DeHaven done to say he's a good coach?

To me, this reaks another cheap hire. DeHaven was not going to be back in football next season... and then Nix called.

DesertFox24
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM

wow.... i'm speechless.

We did not replace April, April left and voided his contract.

I said it when jauron was hired, lets see what happens in the season. After that first season we should have all seen the writing on the wall but some of us didn't. We need to give Chan and his staff a full season before we start destroying them.

Lastly we will more than likely suck next year but if we make progress in November and December then we should be happy.

Jan Reimers
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Excellent. He was terrific for us the first time around, and has been gainfully employed ever since, including 4 years with Parcells in Dallas.

I don't think the Music City Forward Lateral was so much his fault, as his players not maintaining their lanes.

DesertFox24
01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
How is it that we know this stuff before Adam Schefter reports it on TWITTAGRA!!!!

Night Train
Along with Saunders and Catavolos, that's 3 Asst. coaches I like a lot.

Demon
We did not replace April, April left and voided his contract.

I said it when jauron was hired, lets see what happens in the season. After that first season we should have all seen the writing on the wall but some of us didn't. We need to give Chan and his staff a full season before we start destroying them.

Lastly we will more than likely suck next year but if we make progress in November and December then we should be happy.

That's funny. When they hired Nix, i was mad. I got over it soon there after and actually liked the hire. I supported the hiring of Gailey and i defended the Bills often. I also said give them a chance. But, hiring bums and proven failures? C'mon.

They NEEDED to hire quality football people to come in and change the culture like Sal keeps saying and change the way we were run.

Instead, they are going with friends who are willing to work for cheap.

How can we support this garbage?

Dujek
01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I wholeheartedly approve of this hire.

I'm really starting to like the coaching setup, if we can pull out a similar standard of DC I'll be happy.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 12:52 PM

wow.... i'm speechless.
Dehaven was a fantastic special teams coach in his time with the Bills. He was made to be a scapegoat on the miracle.

I haven't followed him since but I don't know what you would be speechless about.

Dujek
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
That's funny. When they hired Nix, i was mad. I got over it soon there after and actually liked the hire. I supported the hiring of Gailey and i defended the Bills often. I also said give them a chance. But, hiring bums and proven failures? C'mon.

They NEEDED to hire quality football people to come in and change the culture like Sal keeps saying and change the way we were run.

Instead, they are going with friends who are willing to work for cheap.

How can we support this garbage?

We've hired people who have been successful working under Gailey before, 2 defensive coaches whose units performed admirably here last year and now a good special teams coach. I don't know where you get your ideas from, but it isn't the real world.

Demon
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Dehaven was a fantastic special teams coach in his time with the Bills. He was made to be a scapegoat on the miracle.

I haven't followed him since but I don't know what you would be speechless about.

He was a "fantastic" coach on the Bills... a DECADE ago. I feel better.

What's he doen since?

madness
01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Excellent hire. :bf1:

Demon
01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
We've hired people who have been successful working under Gailey before, 2 defensive coaches whose units performed admirably here last year and now a good special teams coach. I don't know where you get your ideas from, but it isn't the real world.

When was Gailey last successful? 10 years ago? THIS is the real world. The game has changed. We fired coaches who won 7 games multiple times and 6. And hired guys who won 2 and 4. Great step up.

Night Train
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
If DeHaven was so bad, why did Parcells want him in Dallas during his 4 years ?

Up until that one bad play in Tenny, he was a great coach for 12 years here but needed to fall on the sword to save Wade, who replaced him with Ronnie Freakin' Jones.

Seattle has a BAD roster and didn't stress ST's, much like Martz ignored Special teams in St. Louis and fired April.

He hasn't forgotton how to coach well. Give him players and he'll keep our ST's near the top.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 01:00 PM
He was a "fantastic" coach on the Bills... a DECADE ago. I feel better.

What's he doen since?
Like I said I don't know. Why are you asking me. I am speechless about that....

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
When was Gailey last successful? 10 years ago? THIS is the real world. The game has changed. We fired coaches who won 7 games multiple times and 6. And hired guys who won 2 and 4. Great step up.
Its not like he hasn't coached and is getting back into it.

THATHURMANATOR

Up until that one bad play in Tenny, he was a great coach for 12 years here but needed to fall on the sword to save Wade, who replaced him with Ronnie Freakin' Jones.

Seattle has a BAD roster and didn't stress ST's, much like Martz ignored Special teams in St. Louis and fired April.

He hasn't forgotton how to coach well. Give him players and he'll keep our ST's near the top.
You are right and Demon is wrong.

BillsMan80

Well said, St. Louis had horrendous Special Teams when we got April but it was hardly his fault as Martz didn't give two ****s about STs.

Mahdi
01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I think the Bills fans need to let go of this affection we have for Special Teams and hope our new coaching staff does too.

Who is the Special teams coach for the Colts and Saints??? No one knows because no one cares.

Games are won by scoring TDs and stopping TDs.

The only thing I care about when it comes to special teams is a good kicker and a good punter.

BillsWin
01-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I LOVE this hire.

This staff doesn't look THAT bad. I think it will come down to the defensive coordinator.

Griff
01-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Great choice.
forward lateral, don't blame him for the poor refereeing.

psubills62
01-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I LOVE this hire.

This staff doesn't look THAT bad. I think it will come down to the defensive coordinator.

Exactly. At this point, the staff looks OK (some good hires, some iffy hires). If they manage to get a solid DC (Tenuta, maybe?), that will be the one thing that makes or breaks the staff with respect to the fans. The only problem that I see is that there aren't many good or great DC's floating around out there.

Griff
01-29-2010, 01:08 PM

you act like Chan has been sitting on his hands since '99.

Michael82
01-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Looks like someone here has a very good source. Nice pickup! I loved Bobby April, but I like DeHaven too, as long as he learned his lesson.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=187036

WeAreArthurMoates
01-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Get serious, football is football. The guy may have not been a head coach in 10 years but he's been successful this decade get a clue man. Oh, by the way McCoy sucks balls.

Demon
01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
you act like Chan has been sitting on his hands since '99.

Like i said, i don't mind hiring Gailey. After it was announced by the Buffalo News it was him, i was for it. Any time you add a creative mind to the mix, i'm for it. The guy likes to change it up. But, i am very unimpressed with the coaching staff right now and there is NOTHING that makes me think they will hire a good D.C.

The O.L coach we hired who's named i can't spell and he's such a nobody that i won't even waste my time searching it, coached a O-Line that allowed 45 sacks last season!!!! That's A LOT of sacks people. Let me guess.... "lack of KC talent" right? LOL

What is this dude going to teach our linemen? What's a college DE coach going to teach professional OLB?

Demon
01-29-2010, 01:21 PM
(I can't believe i am about to type this)

We would have been better off by keeping Dick Jauron as HC, keeping Fewell as DC, April as ST coach and just firing Alex Van Pelt, using him as a scapegoat and hiring Chan Gailey as the O.C.

We have gone beyond rock bottom at this point.

Griz78
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Blame Canada's Post should not be spammed anymore. He's been on target with his information!

Griff
01-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Like i said, i don't mind hiring Gailey. After it was announced by the Buffalo News it was him, i was for it. Any time you add a creative mind to the mix, i'm for it. The guy likes to change it up. But, i am very unimpressed with the coaching staff right now and there is NOTHING that makes me think they will hire a good D.C.

The O.L coach we hired who's named i can't spell and he's such a nobody that i won't even waste my time searching it, coached a O-Line that allowed 45 sacks last season!!!! That's A LOT of sacks people. Let me guess.... "lack of KC talent" right? LOL

What is this dude going to teach our linemen? What's a college DE coach going to teach professional OLB?

Wow... well I'll guess I'll just add you to the Mitchell55 and HHuricane list.

Demon
Get serious, football is football. The guy may have not been a head coach in 10 years but he's been successful this decade get a clue man. Oh, by the way McCoy sucks balls.

Football is football?

No it ain't. The game changes. It's no longer a running league. It's a passing league. Look up articles from 10 years ago and anyone with the suggestion of playing a spread offense in the NFL got laughed at. Purists said it only worked in college.

Bill Polian changes a few rules.... and boom! Spread offenses are kicking everyone's butt. But, i thought you said "football is football".

Child please. Go back to Madden.

Griff
(I can't believe i am about to type this)

We would have been better off by keeping Dick Jauron as HC, keeping Fewell as DC, April as ST coach and just firing Alex Van Pelt, using him as a scapegoat and hiring Chan Gailey as the O.C.

We have gone beyond rock bottom at this point.

it could be worse, you could post again.

Demon
01-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Wow... well I'll guess I'll just add you to the Mitchell55 and HHuricane list.

Come on. Not HH. Anyone but HH!

Griff
01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Football is football?

No it ain't. The game changes. It's no longer a running league. It's a passing league. Look up articles from 10 years ago and anyone with the suggestion of playing a spread offense in the NFL got laughed at. Purists said it only worked in college.

Bill Polian changes a few rules.... and boom! Spread offenses are kicking everyone's butt. But, i thought you said "football is football".

Child please. Go back to Madden.

I thought Dungy was the coach... hmm.

Demon
01-29-2010, 01:29 PM
I thought Dungy was the coach... hmm.

What are you talking about?

madness
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM

The guy who's name you can't spell has been coaching for over 35 years and has a dominate line every where he went in the college ranks. He finally gets a "break" and gets a job as the asst. OL coach for a piss poor OL. The main reason he was let go was the same as Gailey. Haley wanted total control of his offense and wanted to run a specific scheme instead of Gailey's adaptive approach. (Side note: Gailey had more production out of Thigpen than Haley has had with Cassell) How does Coach D. fit into all of this? Guess who was responsible for drawing up OL plays for Gailey's weekly gameplan? The guy who's name you can't spell.

“He’s a typical western Pa. guy,” said Haley, who attended Upper St. Clair High School while his father Dick Haley served as the Steelers’ director of player personnel from 1971-90.
“Joe is a very detailed coach. He’s working with our young offensive linemen before, during and after practice. I sometimes have got to tell him to quit coaching, he’s coaching so much. He does a great job and really works hard at it.”
As the Chiefs’ assistant offensive line coach, one of D’Alessandris’ responsibilities is to diagram plays used in each week’s game plan. He turns those charts over to O-line coach Bill Muir, who in turns presents them to Haley, who now calls plays for the Chiefs.

Demon
01-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I hope you guys are right. I really do. I just don't see it like you guys do.

Typ0
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm encouraged that Gailey isn't the STC.

Throne Logic
01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I've heard this all week about most of the coaches we hired. They had bad talent. Bad luck. Blah blah blah. What do you think we have? Great talent?

Adding special team players isn't really very expensive. Teaching and understanding roles is what is important. DeHaven could have added low budget players. Failed. He didn't teach his guys anything. Fail. What has DeHaven done to say he's a good coach?

To me, this reaks another cheap hire. DeHaven was not going to be back in football next season... and then Nix called.

How old are you, man? The Bills Special Teams in the 90's were always very well coached. Do you not remember that? DeHaven was highly regarded as one of the best before he was scapegoated for that rediculous miracle crap. And if I remember correctly, Wade did not fire him. Wade was ultimately fired because Ralph needed someone to blame and wanted DeHaven gone despite Wade's protest.

There are a couple of coach-losing events in the past 20 years that have had a dramatic effect on the success (or lack there of) of the Bills. Two of the more subtle ones were Bruce DeHaven and Rusty Jones. On Special Teams, the Bills just got really lucky that they found Bobby April a bit down the line. I'd love to bring back Jones, too. We've been leading the league in injuries since his departure.

I'm happy with this hire. In my opinion, he's the next best option to Bobby April. Since April was not coming back in any capacity short of HC, DeHaven is the defacto best option.

trapezeus
01-29-2010, 02:34 PM
i may be getting too old to remember, but i remember dehaven as a good coach, and some guy named ronnie something as the scapegoat for the ST debacle of the throwforward.

ct bills fan
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Antoine Winfield lost outside containment on that kickoff, along with Porter.

SquishDaFish
01-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Very good hire! :clap: Love it

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
How old are you, man? The Bills Special Teams in the 90's were always very well coached. Do you not remember that? DeHaven was highly regarded as one of the best before he was scapegoated for that rediculous miracle crap. And if I remember correctly, Wade did not fire him. Wade was ultimately fired because Ralph needed someone to blame and wanted DeHaven gone despite Wade's protest.

There are a couple of coach-losing events in the past 20 years that have had a dramatic effect on the success (or lack there of) of the Bills. Two of the more subtle ones were Bruce DeHaven and Rusty Jones. On Special Teams, the Bills just got really lucky that they found Bobby April a bit down the line. I'd love to bring back Jones, too. We've been leading the league in injuries since his departure.

I'm happy with this hire. In my opinion, he's the next best option to Bobby April. Since April was not coming back in any capacity short of HC, DeHaven is the defacto best option.
Wade definitely fired him after that game, but I agree with the rest.

trapezeus
01-29-2010, 03:08 PM
ok, i researched it, ronnie jones was the response to firing bruce dehaven from the throw forward.

Dehaven was very good through the early 90's and got called out for the blunder. seattle's ST did suck, but maybe that was a result of the team not being very good.

But that doesn't bode well, because we aren't very good.

I'm neither here nor there with this selection. I'd be willing to live with the crappiest st ever to just have a capable, entertaining offense and defense.

Throne Logic
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm neither here nor there with this selection. I'd be willing to live with the crappiest st ever to just have a capable, entertaining offense and defense.

This is because we've been spoiled with solid Special Teams for most of the past 20 years. If not for Special Teams, the Bills would have been averaging 3 wins instead of 7 this past decade. Just as importantly as putting up 3 points from time to time, solid Special Teams play puts your offense and defense in better positions for success.

But I'm all for more entertaining offense.

Mudflap1
01-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Demon,

Welcome to the club. You are about two weeks later than me, but you are still ahead of a lot of the other people on this board. When I melted down after the Gailey hire, the reasons you are stating now are what I was anticipating two weeks ago, and probably where most Bills will be come October/November. Most people are still drinking the Kool Aid and have not figured it out yet. We as fans are stuck rooting for a franchise that thrives on being bottom feeders. There is a difference between being a bottom feeder, and finding "diamonds in the rough". Great personnel people and coaches ala Polian and Belichick find diamonds in the rough. Teams like the Bills bottom feed and don't care what the fans think. They are amateurs, they proceed to hire amateurs, and it shows. My advice to you is to get it out of your system and accept the fact that Ralph Wilson doesn't care what the fans think, he is a career bottom feeder that got lucky with Bill Polian and Marv Levy, and this team will be continue to be bottom feeders until he is gone and someone real can run this franchise and hire real people from the outside. Good luck with this process. There will be a lot more that follow you. Some will come at the draft, some in preseason, and the rest by the meat of the season this coming year.

As for Bruce DeHaven, this is a way better hire than I thought the Bills were capable of at this point, so I can say that I am pleasantly satisifed with this hire. The guy is seasoned, has been around, had a good background with the Bills (Tasker, Pike, Christie, etc.), and has been actually working on NFL teams since. The staff as a whole I am not thrilled about, and I am not excited about Clancy Pendergast as the defensive coordinator, but it is what it is. Ralph doesn't care, and Chan was a bottom feeder/reach move for head coach (not offensive coordinator, there is a distinction), so it is expected that the assistants are not top of the line.

colin
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
i think april was over rated. i say this because we spent so much money, picks, and most importantly roster spots on junk players but good special teams guys. we don't even use a full back but have one on the roster.

Mudflap1
01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
i think april was over rated. i say this because we spent so much money, picks, and most importantly roster spots on junk players but good special teams guys. we don't even use a full back but have one on the roster.

Exactly right. We wasted depth on guys like Corto and Costanzo instead of stockpiling good linebackers (same with other positions).

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
The staff as a whole I am not thrilled about, and I am not excited about Clancy Pendergast as the defensive coordinator, but it is what it is.

Sorry did I miss something? Or are you just expecting Pendergast to be the DC?

Demon
01-29-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm 25.

I don't discredit DeHaven being a smart special teams coach back in the day. But, sometimes, the league changes, sometimes, people catch on to your style, sometimes, people figure you out, sometimes, your luck runs out, sometimes, he loses a bit of desire. I have zero interest in looking what a guy did 15 years ago. It does nothing for me. If this was some type of retirement speech for him, sure, clap your hands, give him a high-5. But, he's the new STC.

There's some big if's in his recent work. Maybe it was lack of talent. Maybe the new rules on ST have him really messed up? Who knows. Only time will tell.

The thing that is scary here is, most of these people here are BLASTING me, which is why, because they don't view my opinion my way, but NOT one person, told me why he's a good fit based on RECENT years. They all go back to the 1990s and tell me i'm stupid.

Demon
01-29-2010, 03:38 PM

They have hired bum, after bum, after bum. What makes you think they won't go get another bum for DC?

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm 25.

I don't discredit DeHaven being a smart special teams coach back in the day. But, sometimes, the league changes, sometimes, people catch on to your style, sometimes, people figure you out, sometimes, your luck runs out, sometimes, he loses a bit of desire. I have zero interest in looking what a guy did 15 years ago. It does nothing for me. If this was some type of retirement speech for him, sure, clap your hands, give him a high-5. But, he's the new STC.

There's some big if's in his recent work. Maybe it was lack of talent. Maybe the new rules on ST have him really messed up? Who knows. Only time will tell.

The thing that is scary here is, most of these people here are BLASTING me, which is why, because they don't view my opinion my way, but NOT one person, told me why he's a good fit based on RECENT years. They all go back to the 1990s and tell me i'm stupid.

Well you have to understand that:

1) You yourself are blaming him for one play that happened 11 years ago. Yet you don't think it's valid for people to say that his work in all the years leading up to that one play is a credit to the man.

2) I doubt anyone has really paid attention to his work since he's been on the Bills. That is why no one can tell you why based on his recent work. What were the ST rankings for the Seahawks the past few years?

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
They have hired bum, after bum, after bum. What makes you think they won't go get another bum for DC?

I didn't say they were or weren't going to hire him. I was just wondering why Mudflap acted as though it was a given. They may just hire a different bum.

Demon
01-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Well you have to understand that:

1) You yourself are blaming him for one play that happened 11 years ago. Yet you don't think it's valid for people to say that his work in all the years leading up to that one play is a credit to the man.

2) I doubt anyone has really paid attention to his work since he's been on the Bills. That is why no one can tell you why based on his recent work. What were the ST rankings for the Seahawks the past few years?

He was the STC when one of the most embarrassing plays in our history happened. I made a mention in my first post and not again. Other then that, i talked mostly about his post-Bills days, most notably with Seattle where they had one of the worst ST in the league for each of his 3 seasons there.

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Seahawks were 15th in the league in 2008, according to Gosselin's rankings

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/weekend/stories/020809dnspospecialteamslede.38f0fd2.html

Not sure whose argument that helps or hurts.

Mudflap1
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM

The writing is on the wall. The Bills hired a bunch of mostly K.C. (with one AZ) castoffs, and Pendergast was released from this contract with K.C. yesterday. BillsWin reported two days ago he heard it was between Pendergast and Fangio.

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
He was the STC when one of the most embarrassing plays in our history happened. I made a mention in my first post and not again. Other then that, i talked mostly about his post-Bills days, most notably with Seattle where they had one of the worst ST in the league for each of his 3 seasons there.
See my post right after yours. According to Gosselin, they were middle of the pack in 2008.

I'm just wondering where you're referencing their "worst in the league" special teams. What were they worst in the league at? Allowing punt returns, kick returns, actual return yardage?

Mudflap1
01-29-2010, 03:46 PM

You just described the Chan Gailey hire.

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:46 PM
The writing is on the wall. The Bills hired a bunch of mostly K.C. (with one AZ) castoff, and Pendergast was released from this contract with K.C. yesterday.

Eh, maybe. I'd have to think that if Pendergast was in line to get the job and he was just released from his contract, the Bills would be quick to announce it. You might be right, I was just wondering why you said that.

Demon
01-29-2010, 03:48 PM
See my post right after yours. According to Gosselin, they were middle of the pack in 2008.

I'm just wondering where you're referencing their "worst in the league" special teams. What were they worst in the league at? Allowing punt returns, kick returns, actual return yardage?

I was basing it off what i read from Seahawks boards/blogs.

Mudflap1
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Eh, maybe. I'd have to think that if Pendergast was in line to get the job and he was just released from his contract, the Bills would be quick to announce it. You might be right, I was just wondering why you said that.

Guys in the NFL aren't allowed to just make parallel moves. They have to given permission by their team or released from the contract. I'm sure there was a preliminary verbal off the record conversation between Gailey and Pendergast, and now they are finalizing a contract. It's only been one day since he's been "available".

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Seriously? Huh...well I uh...think that answers a lot of other questions then.

psubills62
01-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Guys in the NFL aren't allowed to just make parallel moves. They have to given permission by their team or released from the contract. I'm sure there was a preliminary verbal off the record conversation between Gailey and Pendergast, and now they are finalizing a contract. It's only been one day since he's been "available".

One day is a heck of a lot of time if there was already a preliminary verbal dealing beforehand. Contracts for DC's (especially failures) don't take that long.

Like I said, you very well could be right. I was simply wondering why you assumed we would hire Pendergast. I don't necessarily agree with you, but I can understand your thought process.

T-Long
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
you went on a Seahawks board? Damn...that's some dedication there trying to get info on the ST coach.

Demon
01-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Seriously? Huh...well I uh...think that answers a lot of other questions then.

Seahawks 23rd last season in the NFL in return yards. 0 TD. Long... a whooping 46 yards.

Bills 10th in return yards. 0 TD.

They did do better then Buffalo in punt yards, although, still not real long returns, but all pretty consistent.