Take a step back as fans and look around the league. If I say the words:

Indianapolis Colts

Who do you think of?

Peyton Manning.

New Orleans Saints

Drew Brees. Right?

Pittsburgh Steelers

Ben Rothelisberger.

I could go on and on and on. Now, without googling, name all of their 3 LT's.

Most of you can't.

This is a QB driven league. Yes, your QB needs to have protection, but you also have to HAVE a QB in the first place. We don't have one.

I'm im calling the shots, I am taking Claussen or Bradford with pick 9 if they fall. If they don't, then we definitely need to go tackle there...but only if both are gone.

Are they considered elite prospects? No. But wouldn't you rather have one of them than who we have on this roster?
    Last edited by T-Long; 01-29-2010, 12:49 PM.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Quick thoughts on the whole LT or QB debate

I don't see how this proves anything except that quarterbacks are in the media 1000x more than offensive linemen. Just because we haven't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't responsible for a lot of their team's success. And just for kicks, I think the LT's are...Charles Johnson, Jerome Bushrod, and Max Starks?

EDIT: Charlie Johnson, Jermon Bushrod, and Max Starks. Pretty darn close. And Jammal Brown was the Pro-Bowl LT for NO that I couldn't remember (ended up on IR, paving the way for another very good LT, Jermon Bushrod).
    Last edited by psubills62; 01-29-2010, 12:48 PM.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Originally posted by T-Long
      Take a step back as fans and look around the league. If I say the words:

Indianapolis Colts

Who do you think of?

Peyton Manning.

New Orleans Saints

Drew Brees. Right?

Pittsburgh Steelers

Ben Rothelisberger.

I could go on and on and on. Now, without googling, name all of there 3 LT's.

Most of you can't.

This is a QB driven league. Yes, your QB needs to have protection, but you also have to HAVE a QB in the first place. We don't have one.

I'm im calling the shots, I am taking Claussen or Bradford with pick 9 if they fall. If they don't, then we definitely need to go tackle there...but only if both are gone.

Are they considered elite prospects? No. But wouldn't you rather have one of them than who we have on this roster?
      And who were their LTs when drafted as rookies allowing them to develop the skills they so able show today, several years into their career?

Were any of them thrown to the wolves as rookies with no real experience at LT to protect their blindside?

the answer by the way is Charlie Johnson, Bushrod and Max Starks

Starks is a ProBowler and SuperBowl winner on the RT side, replacing ProBowler and SuperBowl winner Marvel Smith who BigBen was initially protected by

Until this season Brees was protected by Jamaal Brown a ProBowler who Bushrod sat and learnt behind.

Charlie Johnson has been with the Colts since 2006 and had the opportunity to learn behind Tarik Glenn the ProBowler and SuperBowl winner
      Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• T-Long
        Circling the Wagons since 1982.
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
        I don't see how this proves anything except that quarterbacks are in the media 1000x more than offensive linemen. Just because we haven't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't responsible for a lot of their team's success. And just for kicks, I think the LT's are...Charles Johnson, Jerome Bushrod, and Max Starks?

EDIT: Charlie Johnson, Jermon Bushrod, and Max Starks. Pretty darn close. And Jammal Brown was the Pro-Bowl LT for NO that I couldn't remember (ended up on IR, paving the way for another very good LT, Jermon Bushrod).
        They are in the media because they are GOOD QB's. Yes, OL don't get much attention, but so what? We NEED a QB for this team. He would start fresh under Gailey and see what he can do with him.

Look what the Jets did, they went and got their franchise QB and look what happened. Granted, they have a great OL anyway, but they would have done that regardless. The NFL is a QB driven league, and we need a QB. Case closed.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

They are in the media because they are GOOD QB's. Yes, OL don't get much attention, but so what? We NEED a QB for this team. He would start fresh under Gailey and see what he can do with him.

Look what the Jets did, they went and got their franchise QB and look what happened. Granted, they have a great OL anyway, but they would have done that regardless. The NFL is a QB driven league, and we need a QB. Case closed.
          This is going to be a circular thread. I could easily make the point that they might not be good QB's without good OL's.

Your only point in starting the thread was that we had heard of the QB's. My point was that your point doesn't mean anything - QB's are supposed to be the face of their franchise.

Come on...you're using the Jets? The Jets who have one of THE best OL's in football? The same Jets who led the league in rushing and defense? The same Jets that nearly didn't get into the playoffs BECAUSE of their "franchise QB?" Bad example.
          Last edited by psubills62; 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM.
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

We need a QB

We do not need a rookie QB running for his life every play, having all the confidence smashed out of him in his rookie season without proper protection.

The NFL is a QB driven league but even the dumbest GM and Head Coach realises that there is zero chance of developing even average play from a QB without giving him some protection

As our GM has said ' Its hard to throw the ball when you're lying on your back'

Case close

Comment

Get a LT now and you can draft a QB next year

Draft a QB this year, have the confidence smashed out of him because of zero protection and you're back looking for a LT next year and possibly a QB again

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kernowboy
                Get a LT now and you can draft a QB next year

Draft a QB this year, have the confidence smashed out of him because of zero protection and you're back looking for a LT next year and possibly a QB again
                Honestly, if Bradford falls to us, they need to pick him (even if they don't play him this year). That being said, they also need to try and address LT at some point. Maybe get Roger Saffold in the 3rd or something.

IMO, if our line could stay healthy, we could possibly have a decent line in Bell-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Butler. But as we saw this past year, injuries are practically guaranteed for that group. We need to get a stud LT and build a little depth.
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

which is why we need a FA or trade for a Vet stop gap QB that has had some solid success and has something left in the tank. SO we can draft a LT and we can groom a QB behind this Vet while the OL gels.

All of these great QB's seem to have extremly solid probowl caliber LT's protecting them don't they ?

Comment

• Griff
                    • Jul 2008

T-Long do you think Peyton can throw TDs while lying on his back?

Comment

• T-Long
                      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Griff
                      T-Long do you think Peyton can throw TDs while lying on his back?
                      The question should be, could Peyton Manning throw TD's with demetrius bell as his LT, and the answer is absolutely yes. But I think Levitre gets bumped out if they don't take one in Round 1...or one can step in with their Round 2 pick

Levitre LT
                      Wood LG
                      Hangartner C
                      Incognito RG
                      Butler RT

All with Bradford or Claussen at QB.

We could even upgrade in FA with serviceable lineman.
                      Last edited by T-Long; 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kernowboy
                        And who were their LTs when drafted as rookies allowing them to develop the skills they so able show today, several years into their career?

Were any of them thrown to the wolves as rookies with no real experience at LT to protect their blindside?

the answer by the way is Charlie Johnson, Bushrod and Max Starks

Starks is a ProBowler and SuperBowl winner on the RT side, replacing ProBowler and SuperBowl winner Marvel Smith who BigBen was initially protected by

Until this season Brees was protected by Jamaal Brown a ProBowler who Bushrod sat and learnt behind.

Charlie Johnson has been with the Colts since 2006 and had the opportunity to learn behind Tarik Glenn the ProBowler and SuperBowl winner
                        Pretty sure Bushrod, Charlie Johnson and Starks are not even first day picks. Whereas Manning, Brees and Roth are all day 1 picks, 2 of which were top 15.

I think that tells the story.

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

The question should be, could Peyton Manning throw TD's with demetrius bell as his LT, and the answer is absolutely yes. But I think Levitre gets bumped out if they don't take one in Round 1...or one can step in with their Round 2 pick

Levitre LT
                          Wood LG
                          Hangartner C
                          Incognito RG
                          Butler RT

Yikes...we'd have the shortest arms between two OT's in the league.

If they take a QB in round 1, they'll take an OT in round 2 or 3 almost definitely, depending on what the value is when they pick. I like Roger Saffold in the 3rd, personally. At the very least he'd provide decent depth. Like I said above, I think Bell could be an OK LT, as long as he can stay healthy.
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mahdi
                            Pretty sure Bushrod, Charlie Johnson and Starks are not even first day picks. Whereas Manning, Brees and Roth are all day 1 picks, 2 of which were top 15.

I think that tells the story.
                            Not the whole story. Bushrod, Johnson and Starks were 7th, 6th and 3rd round picks respectively, if I remember right. However, Bushrod didn't play much at all until this year (his 3rd year in the league). Johnson was terribly inconsistent until this year (his 4th year in the league). Starks didn't start until his 2nd year, and isn't considered that great in pass protection.

So basically, yes, you can find great LT's in the later rounds. But are you willing to wait 3 years for them to develop?

EDIT: Bushrod was actually a 4th round pick.
                            Last edited by psubills62; 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM.
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Levitre LT
                              Wood LG
                              Hangartner C
                              Incognito RG
                              Butler RT

Levitre at LT?? He is small for a G. He would get abused as a full time LT plus we would get little push in the run game.

Nix likes bigger linemen so expect a big OT that can drive folk off the LoS.

Comment

Working...
                              X