It's Byrd.

Mitchell55
01-30-2010, 12:06 AM
I put Wilson because he does everything

He basically has the stats Polamalu usually does

Polamalu usually has 1-3 sacks, 3-5 INTs, and 80-100 tackles

Mitchell55
01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Im not going to try and argue but Wilson, as of right now is our best all around S. Byrd is our best pass defender

BILLSROCK1212
01-30-2010, 12:15 AM
I agree Mitchell, it's not even close...Wilson is easily our best all-around safety

Mitchell55
01-30-2010, 12:19 AM
I still like the idea of

SS- Wilson
FS- Byrd
NB- Whitner

Depth S
Scott/Whitner

tampabay25690
01-30-2010, 12:24 AM
The obvious and the fan fav is BYRD...

Its wilson in my book he is only going to get better.....

ByrdsTheWord
01-30-2010, 12:24 AM
I'll have to say the one going to the Pro Bowl his rookie year.

BertSquirtgum
01-30-2010, 12:27 AM
found a good player in wilson. i like him a lot.

Mitchell55
01-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I'll have to say the one going to the Pro Bowl his rookie year.

Wilson is the one who should between both. Wilson has done more than any of our safetys and than most safetys in the NFL this year. Your off to a very bad start on these forums

BillsWin
01-30-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't know. Whitner is good in run support. He is generally a solid tackler.

Byrd is fantastic at making a play on the ball. He seems to have this instinct of where its going to wind up. Ergo- "Ballhawk" But he needs to work on his run support. As a free safety that isn't the biggest part of his job, but I don't think he is the best all around safety on the team. Although he will be. I can almost guarantee he is top 3 in the league in a season or two. The kid is a star.

Scott is a great player. But a backup in my opinion. Although he is NOT a liability as a starter. Solid player and standup guy from what I have heard. Plays the run well, and covers tight ends like nobody's business.

Wilson is an outstanding find. Got to give it up to Jauron and company for seeing the potential in him. Plays the run well, not a liability in pass coverage but not a stud like Byrd. His techniques are very solid. He obviously does his homework which has helped him succeed. He must practice very hard and for that he has turned out to be an all-around good safety.

So if you asked me who was our best safety, I would have to give it to three players.

Best run-playing safety, is Whitner (Although a lot of you don't agree, I could care less. You are biased by your disdain of the man. I won't disagree however that he is disappointing at times...)

Best pass-playing safety, is Byrd. He just knows where the ball is going to be. And he still has room for improvement.

Best overall safety, I give this to Wilson. Only because he does his job, and does it well. He doesn't get out of place often, can be a punishing tackler at times and everyonce in a while will get that game changing play. He isn't a pro-bowler, but he comes to work and that is respectable.

Just my opinion however.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Would love to see Whitner traded for anything. The guy makes maybe 4 solid plays a year.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Oh to answer your question ill say Wilson, while 9 picks is impressive id like to see Byrd play a bit more.

Oaf
01-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Wilson is an outstanding find. Got to give it up to Jauron and company for seeing the potential in him.

if im not mistaken you want to thanks catavalos for that. :up;

Mitchell55
01-30-2010, 02:08 AM
if im not mistaken you want to thanks catavalos for that. :up;

Catavalos coached was the main cause of how he turned out. Jauron was the one who got him

ByrdsTheWord
01-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Wilson is the one who should between both. Wilson has done more than any of our safetys and than most safetys in the NFL this year. Your off to a very bad start on these forums

Bad start? When are we getting our report cards?

You were off to a bad start when you first registered to these forums. Mitchell55? You couldnt have picked a better player to cheer for? :coocoo:

ByrdsTheWord
01-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Catavalos coached was the main cause of how he turned out. Jauron was the one who got him

Do you know how to speak English?

Jan Reimers
01-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Actually, I think Wilson was added to our Practice Squad in 2004 as a WR, during the Donahoe/Mularkey era.

alohabillsfan
01-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Whitner should not even be mentioned!

Night Train
01-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Byrd is the word

Fantastic draft pick.

Ickybaluky
01-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Wilson is an example of a guy who is really hurt by the CBA expiring. If a new agreement were reached, Wilson would be a unrestricted FA coming off a career year and in line to get a decent contract for the first time in his career (after playing for the year-to-year minimum for 4 years). Instead, it now takes 6 years to reach FA and he is restricted, with the Bills able to retain his rights with a one-year tender.

Still, it is interesting to see what level the Bills tender him. They can't give him the low tender, as his coming into the NFL as an undrafted player means they would not receive any compensation for him signing elsewhere (maintaining only Right of First Refusal).

That leaves 3 options:

1) 2nd round tender (plus ROFR) - I'd guess a little over $2M
2) 1st round tender (plus ROFR) - I'd guess about $2.6M
3) 1st and 3rd round tender (plus ROFR) - I'd guess a little over $3M

I doubt the Bills give him the high tender, as it doesn't seem necessary. However, do they give him the 1st round tender, which probably makes it certain he returns?

Or... do they try to save a little money and give him a 2nd round tender? Wilson had a good year and is only 28 years old, so if some team thinks he is a starter they might be willing to surrender a 2nd rounder and sign him. Maybe the Bills would be happy with that, given their depth at S, and thus tender him at that level in hopes he gets a deal elsewhere?

He really is an intriguing case, given his situation.

mrbojanglezs
01-30-2010, 08:40 AM
wilson, becuase byrd doesn't have the greatest run stopping skills, but byrd has a lot of potential

tampabay25690
01-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Would love to see Whitner traded for anything. The guy makes maybe 4 solid plays a year.

I disagree with you 150% I think Whitner is a solid player...

elltrain22
01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
1. Byrd
2. Wilson
3. Scott
4. Whitner

DrGraves
01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Does anyone think Whitner has any trade value? Maybe we could get something in return to help fill one of our big holes..

BILLSROCK1212
01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Wilson is an example of a guy who is really hurt by the CBA expiring. If a new agreement were reached, Wilson would be a unrestricted FA coming off a career year and in line to get a decent contract for the first time in his career (after playing for the year-to-year minimum for 4 years). Instead, it now takes 6 years to reach FA and he is restricted, with the Bills able to retain his rights with a one-year tender.

Still, it is interesting to see what level the Bills tender him. They can't give him the low tender, as his coming into the NFL as an undrafted player means they would not receive any compensation for him signing elsewhere (maintaining only Right of First Refusal).

That leaves 3 options:

I doubt the Bills give him the high tender, as it doesn't seem necessary. However, do they give him the 1st round tender, which probably makes it certain he returns?

Or... do they try to save a little money and give him a 2nd round tender? Wilson had a good year and is only 28 years old, so if some team thinks he is a starter they might be willing to surrender a 2nd rounder and sign him. Maybe the Bills would be happy with that, given their depth at S, and thus tender him at that level in hopes he gets a deal elsewhere?

if we got a 2nd id be fine w/ that

Griff
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Wilson has been a pretty good player lately, but he hasn't won us games, Byrd's play is the reason why we're not 4-12

Oaf
01-30-2010, 02:02 PM

That leaves 3 options:

2nd round tender. Despite him being a favorite player of mine since his WR days (and he deserves a better team to play on anyways), because of our wealth at safety, netting a 2nd round pick for the tackle or LB we need would be a good move.

ddaryl
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Byrd is a good ball hawk but the rest of his game is still developing

Right Now Wilson is the better all around S but that probably won't last as I expect Byrd to get better quickly

ServoBillieves
01-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Actually, I think Wilson was added to our Practice Squad in 2004 as a WR, during the Donahoe/Mularkey era.

Tada!

PECKERWOOD
01-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Byrd could not play SS, he is strictly a FS, Whitner can on the other hand play both positions, but Byrd is still far better at his respective position and is a ball hawk. Byrd is #1, Whitner is #2.

ZAZusmc03
01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Although i really do like the tackle production from Wilson, You cant argue that Interceptions and turnovers are a huge game changer. Wilson did really well with 4 int's and 1 FF, But i have to take Byrd as best safety.

wmoz11
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Lol @ people who pick Byrd. He hasn't made a tackle within 10 yards of the LOS yet and takes very poor angles.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the best all-around safety on this team is George Wilson.

Also, if Whitner was given a consistent position (SS) he'd be #1. They move him far too much.

Oaf
01-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Scott is closer to our best safety (meaning best overall player) than Whitner. He's been more than dependable everywhere we've played him.