PDA

View Full Version : Could Warner's retirement dramatically impact the draft?

kernowboy
01-30-2010, 05:50 AM
With news of Kurt Warner's retirement could there be a dramatic move in the upcoming draft?

In 2008, Jacksonville jumped way up the draft from No26 to No8 swapping picks with Baltimore to draft Derrick Harvey. They also threw in a 3rd and a 4th I believe.

It is clear that Matt Leinart has not worked out in Arizona, but with his new coach Pete Carroll, now in Seattle, and with decent RT depth there in Ray Willis and Sean Locklear providing pass protection could it be that Seattle and Arizona will be tempted to engineer a swap of R1 picks to grab a QB who Ken Whisenhunt does want. After all Leinart wasn't even his pick or guy.

Currently picking at No26, Arizona could swap this pick Matt Leinart and Arizona's 3rd rounder for Seattle's No6 pick

Seattle benefit from having a pick at No14, and No26 which they can use on in the secondary and at DE as well as removing the need for a top LT to replace Walter Jones eventually, get back a 3rd rounder which they'd traded away and get a QB of the future who Carroll has worked with.

Luisito23
01-30-2010, 06:03 AM
The Cardinals are going to give Leinert at least one year to see what they got, so it really doesn't affect anything draft wise.

kernowboy
01-30-2010, 06:13 AM
I don't think Whisenhunt would pass up the opportunity to draft HIS GUY.

Leinart was picked by the old regime.

casdhf
01-30-2010, 07:41 AM
I think it would take alot more than the offer you suggested to get Seattle to drop that far.

Ickybaluky
01-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Jacksonville actually gave up 2 3rds and a 4th to move up from 26 to 8.

That trade shows the difference between those 2 teams. Baltimore traded back up to 18 to get Joe Flacco, their franchise QB, in addition to stockpiling the extra picks. They traded down in the 2nd round as well, getting Ray Rice (one of the best players in that draft).

Jacksonville moves up to get Harvey, who they envision as the pass-rusher they desperately need. He doesn't develop as a rusher (5.5 sacks in 2 years) and they continue to have that critical weakness (only 14 sacks as a team last year, worst in the NFL).

tampabay25690
01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Warner will have no effect on the 1st round of the draft.
Leinart will be there guy in Arizona....

kernowboy
01-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I think it would take alot more than the offer you suggested to get Seattle to drop that far.

On the basis of what the Jags gave up No26, 2x 3rds and a 4th

The deal I'm proposing is the Cards giving up No26, a 3rd and Leinart.

That values Leinart as worth a 3rd and a 4th.

Considering after Clausen and Bradford he is as good as anything else in the draft, will be further along adapting to the pro game, removes the Seahawks need to spend a high draft pick on a LT and played for Carroll at USC, why would it need to be more?

EricStratton
01-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Are any of this years quarterbacks better then Leinert can be? With the injury to Bradford and the questions surrounding all the rest I don't see any value to the swap.

kernowboy
01-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Are any of this years quarterbacks better then Leinert can be? With the injury to Bradford and the questions surrounding all the rest I don't see any value to the swap.

I think he may have outworn is welcome in Phoenix especially considering what Cutler and maybe Young have done.

If Bradford is available at 6 and fit, I could see several teams looking to move up. What Arizona might offer could be the most attractive than most, providing Carroll with a QB of the future who he has faith in. Arizona can go with a QB they have faith in as well.

tampabay25690
01-30-2010, 09:30 AM
ARZ is not trading up..
I would rather have Leinart over any QB in this draft to be honest...
Where do you come up with Leinart being worth a 3rd or 4th rounder....

kernowboy
01-30-2010, 09:48 AM
ARZ is not trading up..
I would rather have Leinart over any QB in this draft to be honest...
Where do you come up with Leinart being worth a 3rd or 4th rounder....

Based on the Jags - Baltimore move

The Jags gave up a 1st (26), a 3rd, a 3rd (from us) and a 4th to move up to Baltimore's 8th

I am suggesting the Cards give up a 1st (26) and a 3rd to move up to the Seahawks (6th)

So the Cards are a 3rd and a 4th short but are offering Leinart as part of the deal = Leinart being considered worth a 3rd and 4th

tampabay25690
01-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Based on the Jags - Baltimore move

The Jags gave up a 1st (26), a 3rd, a 3rd (from us) and a 4th to move up to Baltimore's 8th

I am suggesting the Cards give up a 1st (26) and a 3rd to move up to the Seahawks (6th)

So the Cards are a 3rd and a 4th short but are offering Leinart as part of the deal = Leinart being considered worth a 3rd and 4th

OK based on your opinion

Oaf
01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I actually agree with kernow that there's a strong possibility that Leinart isn't the guy for Arizona next year (and actually, Seattle is a strong candidate to get him). That's not bad forecasting.

Whether this first round trade happens or not depends on a few more variables and is not AS likely to happen. For all we know, Arizona's guy could be a 2nd round prospect.

HAMMER
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
No way, AZ gives Leinart at least next season to show what he's got.

John Doe
01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think that they get rid of Leinart on the basis of him getting beat out by a hall of fame QB. It may have turned out to be the perfect situation for him to learn and grow into the position. Plus, the Cards are a playoff team - not a team in rebuild mode.

I think that they would rather take their chances on someone who has been in their system for 2 full years rather than a rookie.

Ebenezer
01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
the only way Leinart isn't the guy is if somebody falls to Ari and they draft him...they won't move up and pay that ransom for another roll of the dice...that is what Leinart is.

TigerJ
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
The big problem is the top QBs in this year's draft are even less of a can't miss prospect than Leinart was coming out of USC. Clausen, it appears, has real attitude issues. I little ****iness might be OK, but if you are a real ***** that can be a big red flag. Bradford has those injury questions. Trading into the top of the first round will be awfully expensive then what you hope to get by it comes with warts.

BertSquirtgum
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
i don't see it happening. i agree with some of the others here and think arizona will give matty cakes one year to see if he can play.

Night Train
01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
The only way it could impact the Bills is if it hurts them picking a good LT or LB McClain of Alabama.

PECKERWOOD
01-30-2010, 07:57 PM
The only way it could impact the Bills is if it hurts them picking a good LT or LB McClain of Alabama.

:dance3:

AND LeFevour in the 2nd, and I'm very cool with that!

BertSquirtgum
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
3 months of this arguing ****. this sucks. lets have the draft tomorrow.

Ingtar33
01-30-2010, 09:02 PM
More likely, Warner's retirement has done nothing more then given the eagles the Card's 2nd round pick for McNabb, and whatever that does for the draft.

significant? i don't think so.