Will Trades For Vets Increase In This Upcoming Uncapped Year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Will Trades For Vets Increase In This Upcoming Uncapped Year ?

The Bills and several other teams could never outbid the big market teams on any quality UFA's. Besides, the early list looks less than impressive.

Some teams always have some unique decisions on certain Vets, based on contracts and depth.

A QB, DT, DE, LB..maybe a RB (depending on what the Bills do with Lynch) could be aquired before the draft far easier than a LT. Everyone wants a tackle. That should be our 1st round pick in April.

I'm predicting an increase in trades this year, with teams willing to part with Draft picks for Vets. The uncapped year is creating a new situation and small market teams may need to change the normal way of thinking to improve.

We have to wonder if Nix and Gailey are up to speed on the League, since their so called Pro scout John Guy was fired. Are they willing to go out and improve this roster prior to the draft ?

If you want a quicker turnaround, trades would be the best avenue for one off-season. We seem to be loaded with youth but lack some frontline proven vets at various positions.

Just a thought. Discuss.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Re: Will Trades For Vets Increase In This Upcoming Uncapped Year ?

Also, because salary acceleration won't be a factor, it will be easier for teams to trade those players in big contracts.

There will be competition for released veterans. Some teams are going to dump bad contracts because they can do so without penalty in an uncapped year (in a capped year, the acceleration of signing bonus would cause it to be more difficultly, as it would eat up cap room and provide less room for other players). Thus, you are going to see some veterans cut so teams can get out from the contract and be clear if/when a new CBA is agreed to.

Additionally, these veterans aren't subject to the same limitations that free agents are in the uncapped year. Because they are cut, these vets will not be subject to the 6-year wait for UFA. Also, the final 8 teams won't be restricted in bidding on these players, like they are on free agents. Those two factors will make these players hotter commodities.
    Last edited by Ickybaluky; 01-31-2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Sound thinking. I agree about the LT thing and am moving closer and closer to the opinion that we should almost certainly address that at #9.

Comment

What value do you think we would get for some of our guys should be look to trade them, considering they may not suit our new system or the coaches?

I was thinking the following;

Mashawn Lynch - a low 3rd or a 4th
        Donte Whitner - a 3rd
        Kyle Williams - a 4th

I think by trading these guys we could certainly transition more quickly to the way our new coaching staff wished to play.

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy
          What value do you think we would get for some of our guys should be look to trade them, considering they may not suit our new system or the coaches?

Donte Whitner - a 3rd
          Kyle Williams - a 4th

I think by trading these guys we could certainly transition more quickly to the way our new coaching staff wished to play.
          Depending on what that system is... and trading Lynch (at low value no less) seems to go against what we're trying to do on offense, which is consistently run the ball. I don't see Lynch going anywhere this year.

Comment

• realdealryan
            realdealrex
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy

Donte Whitner - a 3rd
            Kyle Williams - a 4th

Marshawn is a definite KEEP if Chan can keep him away from the 'puff puff give'

Donte wouldn't get us a 3rd, and we don't pay him much.

Kyle is our defensive MVP and, as a penetrating 4-3 NT, could perhaps slide out to DE in a 3-4.

With the personnel decisions that OBD has been making over the past several years, what makes anyone think we have trade bait for other teams?

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I think it's probable that the league will see increased trade action this off-season over the past several, but I wouldn't expect anything other than a slight increase. If anything, it could be a combination of some of the factors that have been mentioned already...there aren't going to be any true cap casualties this year, so the leverage between 'wait and see if player X is cut' and 'let's dangle player X for a draft pick before cutting him' is going to swing slightly in favor of the seller instead of the buyer as opposed to the past.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
              X