PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith or Michael Vick

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Who would you rather have?

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I would be happy with either.

Smith is younger but far less established and possibly costing a higher pick to obtain.

Vick is scandelous, hasn't been a starter in years, but probably cheaper.

Ron Burgundy
02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Smith, and it's not even close.

DMBcrew36
02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
All of these people in the media and elsewhere that think Vick is a 'decent' option or that we should give up anything to get him are MORONS. The guy was TERRIBLE in limited play for Philly. Even in his prime he struggled in passing - it was always about his ability to run. Well guess what? He couldn't even keep his feet under him in Philly! He'd lose his footing or run slowly into a tackle every time for a gain of 1 yard or loss of 3. Anyone who thinks he would be an upgrade over even Ryan Fitzpatrick is disillusioned. He sucks, period - it's what happens when you haven't played football in 3 yrs. Whatever talent he had before his arrest is lost.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Smith, and it's not even close.
I chose Vick just because I feel he would come much cheaper but Smith would be nice as well.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
All of these people in the media and elsewhere that think Vick is a 'decent' option or that we should give up anything to get him are MORONS. The guy was TERRIBLE in limited play for Philly. Even in his prime he struggled in passing - it was always about his ability to run. Well guess what? He couldn't even keep his feet under him in Philly! He'd lose his footing or run slowly into a tackle every time for a gain of 1 yard or loss of 3. Anyone who thinks he would be an upgrade over even Ryan Fitzpatrick is disillusioned. He sucks, period - it's what happens when you haven't played football in 3 yrs. He has lost 'it'.
I can see what you are insinuating but I wouldn't call those that differ in opinion MORONS necessarily. While I am a moron much of the time I feel that the points you make above are part of the reason I would give him a shot if for a very low round pick. His play in Philly was Limited. How can you completely judge him on that? You could easily be right but how can you know for sure?

I also am in the minority in thinking he was a very good player before his troubles.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
To add to this who would you rather they get at QB?

Troy Smith would be adequate, and there isn't much else out there I would want.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't think I could take Edwards another year.

ChanGailey
02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm not voting for either because you don't just get any QB for the sake of getting a QB. You either let your guys try to keep the job or you get a guy who is THE GUY.

If Indy signed someone like Vick a year before Peyton got drafted, Peyton would be on a different team, and Indy would be ****.

ChanGailey
02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I can see what you are insinuating but I wouldn't call those that differ in opinion MORONS necessarily. While I am a moron much of the time I feel that the points you make above are part of the reason I would give him a shot if for a very low round pick. His play in Philly was Limited. How can you completely judge him on that? You could easily be right but how can you know for sure?

I also am in the minority in thinking he was a very good player before his troubles.

If you judge Vick on his entire NFL career. Meaning the good and the bad

The highlight plays, getting busted with weed in an airport

The diving TD against Carolina, running a gambling ring and lying about it on National TV. THIS GUY BLAMED HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO SAVE HIMSELF...And failed.

If you judge everything, EVERYTHING...you see that this isn't a guy you want on your team. Period.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm not voting for either because you don't just get any QB for the sake of getting a QB. You either let your guys try to keep the job or you get a guy who is THE GUY.

If Indy signed someone like Vick a year before Peyton got drafted, Peyton would be on a different team, and Indy would be ****.
This is just not true. Trading for Vick would in no way prohibit us from drafting a QB in this or next years draft.

Why would it?

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
If you judge Vick on his entire NFL career. Meaning the good and the bad

The highlight plays, getting busted with weed in an airport

The diving TD against Carolina, running a gambling ring and lying about it on National TV. THIS GUY BLAMED HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO SAVE HIMSELF...And failed.

If you judge everything, EVERYTHING...you see that this isn't a guy you want on your team. Period.
I feel he is a changed man.
I have read that outside of his off field problems he was a great teamate and practiced hard.

justasportsfan
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Vick was never good enough and never will be. He does however think he's a starter and will whine and cry about wanting to be no.1 if we don't make him no.1. He'll ask to be traded just like what he's doing now.

OpIv37
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
My first choice would be neither. My second choice would be Vick just to piss off Whitner.

Seriously though, I'd take Vick. Neither one is a viable long term solution, and Vick is more experienced, so he'd be the better stop-gap for a year or two. Don't get me wrong- I don want Vick here. But if it comes down to it, he's a better option than Smith.

DMBcrew36
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Because if you listen to the radio, whether it be sports-focused shows, or people who have limited knowledge, like on WBEN 930, they are talking like the guy is the same player he was before arrest. He is not - far from it, actually. Limited play or not, the guy can't even keep his feet under him. The only valuable asset he had (running the ball) is gone!

So yes, when people ignore that he is not the same player as before his arrest, they are morons. I was listening to people on WBEN 930 or some other media outlet this morning talking about how maybe we could/should possibly give up a 2nd rounder for Vick. WTF?!?!

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
My first choice would be neither. My second choice would be Vick just to piss off Whitner.

Seriously though, I'd take Vick. Neither one is a viable long term solution, and Vick is more experienced, so he'd be the better stop-gap for a year or two. Don't get me wrong- I don want Vick here. But if it comes down to it, he's a better option than Smith.
That is all I am saying.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Because if you listen to the radio, whether it be sports-focused shows, or people who have limited knowledge, like on WBEN 930, they are talking like the guy is the same player he was before arrest. He is not - far from it, actually. Limited play or not, the guy can't even keep his feet under him. The only valuable asset he had (running the ball) is gone!

So yes, when people ignore that he is not the same player as before his arrest, they are morons. I was listening to people on WBEN 930 or some other media outlet this morning talking about how maybe we could/should possibly give up a 2nd rounder for Vick. WTF?!?!
Why are you talking about radio this is a message board. I can't listen to WGR anymore.

DMBcrew36
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Why are you talking about radio this is a message board. I can't listen to WGR anymore.

I'm referring to channel 4 news, WGR, WBEN, or any other outlet discussing Vick. People on this messageboard are also disillusioned in the same way - thinking he is still the same player he was previously. He is much much more INeffective than before, and yet he wasn't even that good to begin with.

The only thing that can be said is that he knows how to run an offense - like Op said.

Personally, I'd rather have Troy Smith. He has much less baggage and might actually have some potential. I already know what Vick has, or should I say, doesn't have.

ServoBillieves
02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Why is "neither" not an option?

The Jokeman
02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Smith got his chance to show Baltimore what he had in 2007, needless they took Joe Flacco in the 1st Round of 2008. That tells me what they Ravens think of him and considering they've been one of the better teams at evaluating talent think it speaks loudly about Smith's abilities.

justasportsfan
02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Smith got his chance to show Baltimore what he had in 2007, needless they took Joe Flacco in the 1st Round of 2008. That tells me what they Ravens think of him and considering they've been one of the better teams at evaluating talent think it speaks loudly about Smith's abilities.
the same can be said about the eagles picking Kolb over Vick

SABURZFAN
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
neither

but if i had to choose one, i'd take Smith.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Why is "neither" not an option?
Because I didn't include that on the poll.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
He did get his chance in 2007? I must have missed that.

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
neither

but if i had to choose one, i'd take Smith.
No need to indicate neither. Just choose one or don't post people.

SABURZFAN
02-01-2010, 12:19 PM
No need to indicate neither. Just choose one or don't post people.

NEITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
NEITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO NEITHER!!!!!!!!!

Slim
02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Vick all day.

SABURZFAN
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
NO NEITHER!!!!!!!!!

none of the above. :up:

ChanGailey
02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I feel he is a changed man.
I have read that outside of his off field problems he was a great teamate and practiced hard.

Really? Because I read he's lazy, last to practice, first to leave.

That isn't the description of a successful NFL QB at any point in their life.

QB's that succeed in the NFL (and I wouldn't consider Vick a successful QB at any point) are focuses, determined and clear headed. Look at Matt Ryan, look at Peyton Manning.

Vick is a loser. Period. He had millions and choked. He had the world in his hands, and dropped it.

More than I think about it, he may be perfect for the Bills.

ZAZusmc03
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
To be honest, I would rather see what CG and our new QB Coach can do with Brohm. I really like his size and think with the right person coaching and helping him develope, he could be a good QB.

But out of Vick and Smith, I would rather give the young guy a chance to succeed.

The Jokeman
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
He did get his chance in 2007? I must have missed that.
2007 NFL GAME LOGS:

14 12/09 IND L 20-44 1 0 3 5 60.0 33 6.6 0 0 0 0 79.6 1 6 6.0 1 -- --
15 12/16 @ MIA L 16-22 1 0 5 11 45.5% 49 4.5 0 0 0 0 58.5 -- -- -- -- -- --
16 12/23 @ SEA L 6-27 1 1 16 33 48.5% 199 6.0 1 0 2 12 77.7 6 25 4.2 0 2 2
17 12/30 PIT W 27-21 1 1 16 27 59.3% 171 6.3 1 0 2 17 90.2 5 23 4.6 0 1 0

Beebe's Kid
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Slopp and Bullfrog only talk about us being able to get Tebow...they are ****ing clueless.

Either way, out of these two, I think I like Smith. I wouldn't be opposed to either. Vick served his time. Like I have said about Vick before, he had his demons aired in front of the world. That can be a very humbling experience, I would imagine, and came out determined to get back to football. That says a lot...not as much as all of the people that judge him while tucked behind a keyboard with their skeletons still packed away in the closet.

To think either of these guys is a franchise savor is unrealistic. Perfect world, I would love to see Brohm turn into our guy, and become an elite NFL QB. I am not saying that happens, only that, in my opinion, that would be a great story.

Smith is athletic and Gailey would be able to use him. Who knows, maybe we get Jeff George, but for the question posed here, I take Smith.

Buffalogic
02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Um is this for real? Of course the obvious answer is Vick. At least we have a some what extensive body of work to judge Vick on. Troy Smith is a desperate shot in the dark lol

Iehoshua
02-01-2010, 03:30 PM
a desperate shot in the dark Sounds like most of the QBs since Kelly.

TheBrownBear
02-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Troy Smith? Are you serious?

Um, I'll take Vick, thank you. (and I don't want Vick either)

ddaryl
02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
LMAO

Vick heads are signing up with new accounts to vote.

You've got at least 2-3 votes from people who have 0 or 1 posts total..

I guess whatever it takes LOL!

ddaryl
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Troy Smith? Are you serious?

Um, I'll take Vick, thank you. (and I don't want Vick either)

Nobody really wants Smith, but if we HAD to make a choiice then obviously will take Smith because we simply do nopt want Vick the scumbag here on this team

ByrdsTheWord
02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Troy Smith hands down. Smith has more potential to be a legit QB in this league than Vick. I dont want a QB that half azzes everything and a killer on this team. Right Peckerwood?