PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft 1.0

Mahdi
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
1. St. Louis Rams - Jimmy Clausen - QB - Notre Dame - Many will question this pick with Suh and McCoy as options but the NFL is and will always be a QB driven league and the Rams currently don't have one. What they do have however is a rock solid Offensive Line, a top 5 RB in the NFL and an up and coming WR in Donnie Avery. Clausen will do very well in interivews, tests on the drawing board and his pro-day, and all that will convince the Rams that he is their choice. It should be noted that just because Clausen is taken first it does not mean that he is the top prospect in the draft. Stafford and Alex Smith are proof of that.

2. Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh - DT - Nebraska - Jim Shwartz is a DL coach by trade and Suh is the top player available in the draft. This pick is a no-brainer and instantly upgrades the Lions woeful DL. For those that expect a OT here the Lions coaching staff has heavily supported the play of Jeff Backus at LT and even went as far as to say that he should be in the Pro-Bowl. I don't know about that nugget but what is certain is that the Lions DL at this point is light years behind their OL.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy - DT - Oklahoma - Another perfect fit for a team desperate to fix their DL. McCoy is a quick penetrating DT that gets into the backfield in a hurry which is what Tampa has typically been known for. McCoy instantly becomes the best player on the Bucs defense so his talents may not be evident until he is surrounded with better players.

4. Washington Redskins - Sam Bradford - QB - Oklahoma - Shanahan will not want to waste any time getting his young QB which will only delay his success. Bradford comes into a good situation with talent already on the roster at the skill positions with Cooley, Thomas, Davis, Moss, Kelly and Portis. The OL can use an upgrade for sure but the QB position in this draft is thin and the OL prospects are deep.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Russel Okung - OT - Oklahoma State - The Chiefs made a HUGE investment in Matt Cassel and so far it has not paid off. A lot of that is not Cassel's fault however since he has had little to work with at the skill positions and a weak OL. Pioli makes the wise choice and takes the best OT in the draft to slot into the LT spot and move Brandon Albert to his natural position at LG where he can be an All-Pro one day. This should give Cassel, Bowe and Jamal Charles a good shot at producing big things in 2010.

6. Seattle Seahawks - Derrick Morgan- D - Georgia Tech - The Hawks have a ton of holes to fill but their most glaring one is their DL. Kerney has retired and opposite him there has been little production from once rising star Daryl Tapp and high draft choice Lawrence Jackson. Derrick Morgan brings a solid pass rush and the ability to defend the run just as effectively. He is an all-around good player that will upgrade the Hawks DL big time.

7. Cleveland Browns - Eric Berry - S - Tennessee - Many analysts call Berry the best overall player in the draft so having him go at #7 may seem strange but it's the nature of the NFL. Berry is the first non linemen or QB to go off the board and for good reason. He is the best safety prospect to come out since the late Sean Taylor went #5 overall to the Redskins and there is a good chance he will have similar impact on the Browns defense who need a playmaker in their secondary.

8. Oakland Raiders - Jason Pierre-Paul - DE - South Florida - A typical Al Davis selection, JPP will satisfy all the Raider requirements, height, weight, speed. JPP was a JuCo all-star and then transferred to South Florida for his one and only season in 2009 before declaring. Although he didn't produce huge numbers posting 6.5 sacks and 15.5 TFL he displayed rare physical skills and dominance in his lone season at USF. That combined with what will most likely be a headliner performance at the combine will get him into the top ten.

9. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Graham - DE/OLB - Michigan - Surprise pick here for the Bills, but I think this is only a surprise at this point of the draft process. Brandon Graham is definitely worthy of this selection and has showed why with 3 years of elite and consistent production at Michigan with 30 sacks and 55 TFL. Graham is a relentless pass rusher and a dominant run defender that can hold his ground against OTs and also knife into the backfield to make plays. Brandon Graham reminds me a little of Dwight Freeney with his relentless style of play and also with his short yet powerful frame at 6'1 263. Buffalo fans will be happy with this selection once they seem him play and if you need some immediate comfort watch highlights of the 2010 Senior Bowl, it was the Brandon Graham show.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - Joe Haden - CB - Florida - The Florida star stays home and the Jaguars pair Haden with Rashean Mathis. The Jags secondary has been a mess for the last couple of years and the major weakness of the team. Haden is not only the best CB in the draft by a long shot but also considered a top 5 talent. He is a do it all CB that tackles extremely well and makes plays on the ball constantly. A great value pick for the Jags here.

11. Denver Broncos - Dan Williams - DT - Tennessee - If I knew for a fact that B. Marsh was on his way out in Denver then the pick would be Dez Bryant but all things being as they are Denver adds some much needed weight and power to their DL with Dan Williams. Many would say that Mount Cody should be the first NT taken but I think Williams is the better overall prospect. He shows great power from the lower body and anchors down in the run game even against double teams and also has more ability than Cody does to penetrate the LoS. Dan also has solid proportions at 6'2 320 with no concerns over his weight.

12. Miami Dolphins - Dez Bryant - WR - Oklahoma State - Miami has decent WRs but still don't have a go to guy that can do it all. Bryant is that guy. He can go deep, across the middle, and turn short gains into big gains with his run after catch ability. He is also a solid blocker in the run game which makes him an even better fit in Miami's offense. Bryant can pretty much do anything asked of him and can be anything from Eric Moulds to Andre Johnson in the NFL.

13. San Francisco 49ers - Rolando McClain - ILB - Alabama - Uh oh. Rolando McClain pairing up with the best ILB in the NFL Patrick Willis is a lethal duo. These two can dominate a game on their own but together they can cause all sorts of problems for offenses. McClain is just an all-around player that excels in all facets of the position. He can rush the passer, stuff the run and is also a very good coverage MLB. Spikes is still a good player but coming to the end of his career. McClain can even play a little OLB for the 49ers and show off his pass rush skills.

14. Seattle Seahawks- Bryan Bulaga - OT - Iowa - 3 years from now Bulaga may end up the best OT to come out of this class because he is good at everything. Okung is an elite pass protector but probably not as good at everything else as Bulaga is. Bulaga is a technician who rarely misses a step and also displays good power in the run game and an attitude you like in your OL players. Morgan and Bulaga give the Hawks the best draft in the NFL.

15. New York Giants - Carlos Dunlap – DE/DT – Florida – Dunlap lands in a place where he will be used in all kinds of ways by the Giants defense. At 6'6 290 newly acquired DC Perry Fewell can use Dunlap at DE on first down and shift him inside to DT on 3rd down to get after the passer. There are questions about Dunlap's motor running cold at times but I think that has more to do with offenses game planning for him. The Giants are already deep on the DL but Dunlap is just great value here for a team that struggled up front for some strange reason.

16. Tennessee Titans - Golden Tate – WR – Notre Dame – Tate is a pure playmaker and he can have a Eddie Royal type of effect on the Titans offense. Paired with Kenny Britt Vince Young will have all the weapons he needs at the skill positions. This season has to be about making Young as comfortable and successful as possible and Tate is the kind of player that can get a QB out of a jam with his ability to make outstanding catches and separate from defenders.

17. San Francisco 49ers – Bruce Campbell – OT – Maryland – Bruce Campbell is probably the most athletic OT in the draft and also brings tremendous size at 6'7 310 great feet. He is a strong run blocker and a very good pass protector who can handle the speed rushers of the NFL. He is not the technician Bulaga is but his tangibles give him a bit of a higher ceiling. He should fit nicely into what the 49ers like to do offensively.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers – CJ Spiller – RB – Clemson – The first RB comes off the board at 18 because I just dont really like this year's group of backs. There just aren't any RBs that possess all the qualities you want, rather there are many that excel in their own category. Spiller is a big play guy with plenty of speed and wiggle that can give you a home run play. He is not a between the tackles type of runner though which is ok since Mendenhall is on the roster. Willie Parker has been a disappointment over the last 2 years and injuries have kept him out of the lineup too often.

19. Atlanta Falcons – Jerry Hughes – DE – Texas Christian – Atlanta has pretty much given up on Jamaal Anderson at DE at rank near the bottom of the league in pass defense. With Abraham starting to age as well this pick makes too much sense from a need perspective and at 19 Hughes is almost a steal. Taking a CB here is a possibility but when you compare Hughes value to that of Donovan Warren or Patrick Robinson, Hughes is the clear choice.

20. Houston Texans – Terrance Cody – DT – Alabama – Mount Cody is selected here to make the Texans a tougher defense and to free up other investments they have made on their defense such as Cushing, Okoye, Mario and Demeco Ryans to make plays. With Cody this defense can go from decent to very good simply due to his ability to take on blockers and close down the middle on his own.

21. New Enlgand Patriots – Patrick Robinson – CB– Florida State – Robinson is a player who is rising and will continue to rise up draft boards. He as great size at 5'11 195 and is a very fluid athlete. This the kind of player who can become Darelle Revis in a couple years. The Pats have holes all over their defense but at this point in the draft Robinson is the best value. Sergio Kindle is an option here as well but there are other OLB options to be taken in the second round.

22. Cincinnati Bengals – Germaine Gresham – TE – Oklahoma – Gresham should have declared last year and would have been a top 15 pick easily. He went back though along with Bradford who also should have declared and they both got injured. Gresham however is an incredible TE prospect and as long as he shows that he is fully recovered then 21 is a nice spot for him to go. Carson Palmer should be thrilled with this pick because he has never had a threat at TE to throw to since he has been in the NFL. Gresham should open things up for Ocho Cinco and the other young up and coming receivers on the Bengals roster.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandon Spikes – MLB – Florida – Spikes is just a good football player, as a LB he can do it all. He is good in pass coverage but not great, an excellent tackler and blitzer and just plays the game with great instincts. Spikes is also a very powerful player with tremendous size at 6'3 258. He has the ability to be a Brian Urlacher at the next level but I think at the end of the day he will settle for his name sake and be very similar to Takeo.

24. Green Bay Packers – Trent Williams – OT – Oklahoma – The Packers had serious issues at OT last year and will be looking to take a young franchise OT. Trent Williams is yet another Oklahoma player that would have been selected in the top 15-20 had he declared last year. He did not have a good senior season and it cost him a ton of money and recognition as the top OT in his class. Still, Williams struggles can be attributed to an off year and the loss of Bradford at QB.

25. Baltimore Ravens – Brandon Lafell – WR – LSU - Not a flashy, glamour type WR but I think this guy could be the best WR in the class in a couple years. Lafell is a solid player in every facet of the game. He does't have great speed but his ability to work the middle of the field and make the tough catch is second to none in the draft. He has a very strong frame at 6'3 210 and also has very good run after catch ability. Last but not least, Lafell is an LSU product which means he is a solid run blocker and that is valuable for a team that pounds the football as much as the Ravens do. Could become a Anquan Boldin type player.

26. Arizona Cardinals – Anthony Davis – OT – Rutgers – Many have Davis going much higher in the draft but his value as a LT is limited which makes him more of a Phil Loadholt in my valuation. For Arizona however Davis will play LT because Leinart is left handed making the right side his blind side. Davis in this situation can be valuable to the Cards because he is the best run blocker in the draft among all the OTs. This is key because with the retirement of Warner, Arizona will become a more balanced offense and Davis will be a big part of establishing the ground game.

27. Dallas Cowboys – Earl Thomas – S- Texas – This is a steal for the Cowboys and its twice as nice because it fills a major need. The Cowboys have had a weakness at S for a long time and Thomas is a playmaker that can do everything well. He is physical in run support but also makes a ton of plays on the ball in the pass game which is evident by his 8 INTs last season for the Horns. Plus, Jerry loves Texas products.

28. San Diego Chargers – Taylor Mays – S – USC – Yeah Taylor fell to 28 and here is why. Mays is stiff and lacks quickness at the safety position which will turn off GMs and evaluators. He is instinctive, a playmaker and a heck of a hitter but in a passing league he can be a liability. That being said Mays has done enough in college to warrant a first round grade. His size alone earns him points on the value scale.

29. New York Jets – Sergio Kindle – OLB – Texas – The Jets don't have 1 player on their defense that is considered a pure pass rusher. In order to create pressure the Jets usually bring more guys than you can block. Kindle however gives the Jets a guy who can beat on OT 1 on 1 without sending extra pressure. Kinlde might even go higher than this if he has a special combine workout. Either way though, 28 is a good spot for him considering he never really mastered anything at the college level.

30. Minnesota Vikings – Brian Price - DT – UCLA – Price is a guy whose draft stock has been going up since the end of the college season. He is a tough run defender and also very good at penetrating the backfield in the run and pass game. With Pat Williams considering retirement and little depth behind him Price would be a solid choice in terms of need and certainly in terms of value.

31. New Orleans Saints - Everson Griffen – DE – USC – This is a potential steal here for the Saints who add a DE who can get after the passer. Griffen is a complete DE who can beat an OT with speed and also with a strong bull rush. He is also solid against the run. Griffen is an ideal pick for Saints DC Gregg Williams who will use him as an OLB in 3-4 looks and as a DE in 4-3 looks. He will definitely be given a chance to take the starting job away from Charles Grant.

32. Indianapolis Colts– Antonio Coleman – DE – Auburn – Not many needs for the Colts to fill so Polian makes another clever choice and grabs Coleman. Coleman has been a good player for the Tigers for 3 seasons now which satisfies Polian's need to take accomplished and consistent players. There is not much depth behind Freeney and Mathis so Coleman will have a chance to learn from the best and get spot duty early on.

kernowboy
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Graham is a huge reach at No9 - we could trade down into the 20s and still pick him up

psubills62
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Graham is a huge reach at No9 - we could trade down into the 20s and still pick him up

I would have to agree. Graham is really talented, but you just have to imagine that his lack of height and short arms are going to cause something of a drop in the draft. Not as bad as what Everette Brown had, but I doubt he gets picked in the top 10.

T-Long
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
somebody was watching the Senior Bowl...

Don't Panic
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah... maybe if we hadn't taken Maybin last year (and not had such a glaring need at tackle and QB), but this is a luxury we can't afford right now. Are you projecting him at DE in a 4-3? If so... no chance. 3-4 at OLB makes it slightly more plausible, but no way in a 4-3.

Ingtar33
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Taylor Mays - 28

mays i think played himself out of the first 2 rounds from what i saw at the senior bowl. he certainly can't play safety at the next level, and people aren't going to draft an undersized OLB that high.

BillsWin
02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
In this mock, Dez Bryant, Rolando McClain and Bryan Baluga are MUCH better picks than Graham at nine.

kernowboy
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
In this mock, Dez Bryant, Rolando McClain and Bryan Baluga are MUCH better picks than Graham at nine.

as is Bruce Campbell

NOT THE DUDE...
02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
brandon graham is a stud, pure and simple. he has incredible strenght and quickness... he would be a great pick. and when he runs a 4.6 or 4.5 at the combine he will fly up draft boards.... in high school graham ran a 10.8 in the 100 meters .... HELLO!

Ingtar33
02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Terrance Cody – 20

another guy who might not even go in round one thanks to his weight issues. anyone who takes him in round one is gambling the kid doesn't eat himself out of the league in 3 years (and into an early grave in 10).

Mahdi
02-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I like Graham before the Senior Bowl. You can probably find the posts. Either way. I knew Graham would be seen as a reach at this point but I fully expect his stock to rise a great deal after workouts and further analysis of game film.

Pure and simple, he's a football player that has done it for 3 years. Not a one year wonder like Maybin. He is also just as good in the run game as he is rushing the passer.

Out of all the prospects in the draft he is as complete a football player as anyone.

PECKERWOOD
02-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I could live with that, he is a good football player. It doesn't fill a huge need, but you picked a good one.

tampabay25690
02-01-2010, 04:12 PM

SR bowl is over and the mocks start coming in...
Im surprised DAN LeFEVOUR isn't 1st in this mock.

k-oneputt
02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I think your top-5 are right on.

k-oneputt
02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I think D. Bryant will be a very good wr, but I can't see Parcell's going wr in rd.1. If available I think he will take McClain.

YardRat
02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
I would be happy seeing Clausen and Bradford off of the board before we pick just so I don't have to listen to all of the **** if they're still there.

Mahdi
02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah... maybe if we hadn't taken Maybin last year (and not had such a glaring need at tackle and QB), but this is a luxury we can't afford right now. Are you projecting him at DE in a 4-3? If so... no chance. 3-4 at OLB makes it slightly more plausible, but no way in a 4-3.
Brandon Graham absolutely projects to a 4-3 DE. For us however I have him as a rush OLB in our new 3-4.

ByrdsTheWord
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
brandon graham is a stud, pure and simple. he has incredible strenght and quickness... he would be a great pick. and when he runs a 4.6 or 4.5 at the combine he will fly up draft boards.... in high school graham ran a 10.8 in the 100 meters .... HELLO!

hi

FlyingDutchman
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
i respect and can appreciate the time and effort you put into this. that being said, no shot two QBs go in the top 5, and no shot Jimmy Claussen is the number 1 overall pick. #1 pick better be a safe pick when its yours, and I wouldnt consider Jimmy Clausen a "safe" pick at #1, or even at our pick for that matter

alohabillsfan
02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I dont watch alot of big ten football, but someone posted a Baluga you tube clip and Graham beat him (like a drum). And yes, he looks like a D. Freeney! Ill take that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYk6GzwHC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQfcytu6ItI

2Smooth
02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Taylor Mays - 28

mays i think played himself out of the first 2 rounds from what i saw at the senior bowl. he certainly can't play safety at the next level, and people aren't going to draft an undersized OLB that high.

No way in hell Taylor Mays does not get picked in the first 2 rounds

baalworship
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I have not studied Graham but from what I have heard he is a beast. Anytime you can get a guy that can rush the passer you jump on that.

"Michigan defensive lineman Brandon Graham forced a fumble and had two sacks and was chosen the game's Most Valuable Player of the Senior Bowl."

I take what the best players do against each other very seriously. Remember when Rivers was supposed to be a late 1st, early 2nd and then he showed up at the Senior Bowl and dominated? I think Graham will be a top 15 pick now.

Griff
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
sorry but this is just... woeful.

DraftBoy
02-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Antonio Coleman is not a first three rounds pick, let alone a 1st Round pick.

eee1776
02-02-2010, 06:48 AM
If we go to a 3-4 I think #55 would be my pick..come to think of it..I would take him in a 4-3 also. I watched the senior bowl and this guy stood out like a man against boys.

Mahdi
02-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Antonio Coleman is not a first three rounds pick, let alone a 1st Round pick.
Yeah I reached quite a bit on that pick. Still plenty of time for his stock to rise though.

Buckets
02-02-2010, 08:13 AM
No to Graham

X-Era
02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey, I moved this into the Scouting Zone